The onslaught of heavy rains will start in about 20 days from now... They last a good 3 months over here. I wish to pack my BSA up during these months (will start it once in 15 days at the most. No riding).
I wish to know whats the best way to prevent the chrome from rusting during this time... Something that I can keep on during the monsoon and then remove once I start using th bike again. A lot of folks recommend grease... There are some anti-rust compounds available here but removal is quite a tedious job... Any suggestions?
are you gonna store the bike under shelter?We dont have monsoon weather where I am but we have many months of ice and snow to deal with and all I do is spray the chrome with WD40 and store in the unheated garage.this is easy to remove but if the machine is stored in the weather it would simply be rinsed away.
I agree - WD 40 is a great metal protector for bikes in storage. It's 95% volatile solvents which will displace and carry away water when they evaporate, leaving behind the 5% of protective lubricant to be a barrier between the metal and water vapor.
It's not a good cable or pivot lube, but it's a wonderful cleaner, deruster, and protectant.
I'm like super lazy today. It's like normal lazy, but I'm wearing a cape.
Its the monsoon so WD40 will not work, its similar to the west coast of Scotland rain, warm and wet, grease or try rag soaked in 50/50 mix of oil and a solvant such as paint brush cleaner. The solvant thins the oil making it easy to wipe and then evaporates leaving a thin layer of oil.
RIG brand. (rust inhibiting grease) really sticky stuff. I use it for steel that gets handled a lot in high humidity and rain. It protects very well, just very sticky and a real bugger to clean off when the need arises.
1967 A65 Lightning 1967 Triumph T20 Mountain Cub 1967 Moto Guzzi V7 1969 B44 Victor Special 1966? Royal Enfield Interceptor
If you have a good look at the polish section you will see Chrome cleaner, chrome polish & chrome wax. go for the latter it will fill up the micro cracks in the chrome and protect it very well. If you can not find the special chrome wax then non silicon car wax will do. The stuff you want is the paste or cream that you apply, let dry then buff off. The wipe i on & forget it stuff dose not do the job.
I wonder if you could vacuum pack a bike. If you could find a suitable plastic bag and a way to properly seal it, it would be a great way to protect a bike from the elements. Spray it with WD 40 or put VPI and/or dessicant bags inside the bag, put the bike in the bag and then pull a vacuum with a shop vac and seal. There just might be an opportunity here for a product.
I've seen a similar product sold for storing blankets and such. The challenge would be a bag strong enough to take the weight of the bike and stand without piercing and to get sucked in around objects that are relatively sharp. Bag would be reusable so you could justify a high cost bag if it had a reasonable life.
I've seen the bubble things, but they are useless if you fill them with most air. They just become a miniature weather system inside.
Thanks for all the suggestions! The bike is going to be in the open but I will be putting a garage cover (the synthetic plasticy rain cover type thingee) on it. So even though the water will not directly pour on to the metal, there will be significant dampness and humidity all the time...
PS: I thought of tying some of those small silicon bags that they pack along with electronic stuff, which acts a s a descecant and absorbs moisture... Think that will protect the chrome?
Re: Protecting chrome from Rust???
#374494 05/21/118:23 am05/21/118:23 am
I have seen bikes stored outdoors during the winter here in Michigan . The weather is brutal on metal surfaces , but what I have seen work well for this is to shrink wrap the bike completely after prepping the surfaces with your choice of protectant, much the same way you would a small marine craft. The first time I saw this done was with an old H-D that was all chromed out , I thought it would be destroyed as the owner was in lockup for a couple of years but when he got out the bike cleaned right up and you'd never know it sat outdoors .
Hi everyone, I took the covers off from the bike after almost four months, and the chrome was as good as new... It only took about an hour to wipe off all the grease and wash the bike. Unfortunately, a few spots that I had missed (such as horn and area around dampner) were quite badly rusted.
So the verdict is out... A thin film of regular grease all over the chrome was enough to prevent rust, even though the bike was kept in the open under full onslaught of heavy rains... (with a garage cover draped on it ofcourse).