BritBike Forum

Sponsors campaign ads..
BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor
Shout Box

BritBike.com Decals & Stickers (Free shipping)
BritBike.com decals & stickers
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Who's Online
96 registered (Tridentman, RF Whatley, Dave - North of 60, KC in S.B., mblab, Mark Davies, zoe, ed_h, Leo Goff, Tasman, Howard Inough, htown, Dave M, Mr Mike, intrudin, Colonel, ChrisX, Jerry Roy, John Healy, JakeH, MrYeats, Lannis, BobM, JDH, David Reid, M Shearer, gtsun, Beach, T.W.Craig, D.Bachtel, KennethC., HawaiianTiger, cafeman, Magnetoman, Pete R, bill50cal, jfligg, Irish Swede, razor, J. Charles Smith, DickDastardly, Charlieboy, Hud, Don P., Stuart, Nick, Corvus, No Name Man, Ed V, fettlefart, NickL, Chris41x, Redmoggy, Allan, Rickman, Rich B, Jon W. Whitley, MikeG, PeterJ, bandit, desco, Steve Erickson, Andy Carr, Alex, trevinoz, Tom A65LR, Old Cafe Racer, raf940, mike07, bsalloyd, goldstarfreddie, Boomer, Doc_dup1, Drew, crzy8s, Acebars, Ed Vanaman, LarryLebel, RobJP, lemans, Bill Bassett, GrandPaul, Alan_nc, KevRasen, Pender, KevinM, chuckmn, Tim Inks, Ob1quixote, Allan Gill, Adrian1, Greenspringfarm, Morgan, shel, mf-zh, paulberry), 431 Guests and 255 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Scouse193, dk70bsa, Tiger Shark, Persol, Norman
7495 Registered Users
Forum Stats
7495 Members
32 Forums
50084 Topics
462713 Posts

Max Online: 1804 @ 03/01/11 6:54 pm
Top Posters
RF Whatley 9981
John Healy 8173
Lannis 7998
Alex 7073
ricochetrider 6864
JubeePrince 5922
Stuart 5465
kommando 5065
Blapper 4528
Jon W. Whitley 4525
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#389737 - 08/15/11 4:39 am 1967 Triumph Bonneville Questions
lit67 Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Central Illinois, USA
I am getting my 1967 Triumph Bonneville ready for a show in Indianapolis later this month, and I have a few questions concerning "originality" that I hope some of you can help answer. The vin # for the bike is DU48683, which is a Monobloc carb model. I do understand that 1967 was a big change year, so bikes could have different equipment. Here are the questions:

Did the T120R Bonneville with monoblocs have the choke setup or the plug/bolt in the top? My 1967 brochures show no choke for the Bonneville, but I have seen supposedly stock bikes both ways.

Did the bike have the flat pancake style at the rear of the air filter or the dish type? If it is the flat style, did it have the "wash in petrol" sticker?

And lastly, which direction did the front of the horn face, timing side or primary?

The show I am attending is the Cycle World Rolling Concours show that is being held in conjunction with the Indy GP races at the Speedway. First you ride 50 miles around Indy and then have your bike judged. Maybe I can get a lap or two around the track!! wink
1967 T120R Bonneville
1967 TR6R Trophy 650
2006 Harley Heritage Classic
Too Many Projects

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Upgrade your BritBike Forum membership for one year or for Life*
#389742 - 08/15/11 6:07 am Re: 1967 Triumph Bonneville Questions [Re: lit67]
Steve Erickson Online   content

Loc: Arrowbear, SoCal
Ok, don't count on this as being gospel, it is based on a pretty stock 67 that I purchased some time ago...

It did have stock monos with the choke setup.

It also had the flat style back covers on the air filter covers, but I don't remember the decals.

I really don't remember the horn facing, but I think pretty much all had the face toward the timing side.

#389768 - 08/15/11 1:02 pm Re: 1967 Triumph Bonneville Questions [Re: lit67]
John Healy Online   content

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts
The 1967 US parts book carburetor illustration and data for the T120R and T120TT show the carburetor with the 4/137A blanking plug and no choke cable is illustrated for these models on the cable page.
On a Triumph Loctite (blue) MUST be used on THREE FLYWHEEL BOLTS, engine sprocket nut, both nuts on the transmission main shaft (clutch & kick starter ends). When its used, it must be used properly on cleaned surfaces (and primed if necessary when parts are plated).

It should NEVER be used on camshaft nuts, timing side pinion crankshaft nut, bearings, valve guides, replacement cylinder sleeves, replacement valve seats or the flywheel SLUDGE TUBE PLUG!!!!!

"Don't just teach your children to read. Teach them to question what they read." George Carlin

#389778 - 08/15/11 1:45 pm Re: 1967 Triumph Bonneville Questions [Re: lit67]
wildbill Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Merry Point VA
My 1967 is in the 50,XXX and has Monoblocks w/o a choke, just ticklers. My guess is you may find considerable variation across the model year.

#389783 - 08/15/11 1:56 pm Re: 1967 Triumph Bonneville Questions [Re: lit67]
GrandPaul Online   content
Life member

Loc: Laredo (South) Texas
Yep, it's a changeover year from monoblocs to concentrics, from gray-topped seat to all black, from Aubergine & Gold to Auber & White, among other "invisible" changes...
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"

#389836 - 08/15/11 7:47 pm Re: 1967 Triumph Bonneville Questions [Re: lit67]
M-Runner Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Oregon
The Nov. '67 over of CW mag. shows a brand new '67 T120R with the horn facing the drive side. I bought a new one in mid 1967, it was Aubergine/white, it did not have an air control, it came with monoblocs and pancake air filters w/flat black end covers and an all-black seat, incl the bottom welting. I still have it.

#389874 - 08/16/11 4:07 am Re: 1967 Triumph Bonneville Questions [Re: lit67]
lit67 Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Central Illinois, USA
Thanks so much for the help! I will go without chokes and switch to the pancake (flat) back plate on the filters.

I will share that in 1967 after my brother came home from Vietnam, he took me out to his garage and showed me what I thought at the time was the most beautiful motorcycle I had ever seen. I was 10 years old, and yes, it was a brand new Bonneville. Unfortunately a couple of years later, the Bonny and a Honda got tangled up together and the bike was totaled. Whatever the case, the memory of that Bonneville in the garage will always be there!!!
1967 T120R Bonneville
1967 TR6R Trophy 650
2006 Harley Heritage Classic
Too Many Projects

#390094 - 08/17/11 2:07 pm Re: 1967 Triumph Bonneville Questions [Re: lit67]
Jack Adams Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Noblesville, IN
lit67, I'm not "locked in" just yet, but I'm trying to arrange things so I can do the CW rolling concours. If so, I'll be at the welcome deal on Thurs. night. I'll look for you if you let me know how to recognise you, other than a guy with a 67 bonneville. Jack

Moderator:  John Healy 

Home, Sponsors
Newsletter, Regalia
Calendar, Bike Project
BritBike Museum
Spiders Cartoons

"OLD" BritBike Forum

DVD- Manuals & Parts books
BritBike Stickers & Decals

Upgrade your membership-
one year or for life*

BritBike Forum