BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Tasman
Tasman
Tasmania - Gateway to Antarctica
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
204 registered members (2ndchildhood), 1,562 guests, and 560 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Gerard, Regi, Doug Baril, revans, Gilly
9962 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 186
koan58 101
Stuart 83
Popular Topics(Views)
440,565 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,306
Posts631,982
Members9,962
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#387013 - 07/30/11 9:45 pm Loreley 2011 - Our Tale  
BeezaBryan Online content
BritBike Forum member
BeezaBryan  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Derbyshire UK

Here it is, all in one piece again and clean too bigt

Now we are good to go beerchug

Did I say we were leaving a week early? No? Well we did, one of the joys of retirement is being able to set our own timetable.

So, off we go bright & early on a saturday morning heading for Geoff & Sara's Leicestershire residence to collect their spare tent that we were to use as a marquee at Loreley. A coffee or so later we are back to the M1 heading south at a steady pace full of the joys of summer.

Then it happened, just a mile after a leg stretch at Newport Pagnel services.

B***t & b&&&&&y quoth I. Every %%%%%%g time I go to Belgium with the ferkin' Flash I get a &&&&&&& tube to change, **** my &&&&&&& luck.
No chance of a quick tube change, too much heavy traffic too close for safety which meant a call for rescue.
As we set out to wait recovery I remembered the significance of the day – Maries Birthday!
So we opened the box and had our picnic lunch, I know how to show a lady a good time.

The recovery guy turned out to be classic bike owner who got us to a tyre place where we could do the repair in comfort. The guys there were fascinated by the way the QD wheel came out so easily leaving sprocket, chain & drum in place. A few minutes with their tyre removing/ replacing machine and once more we were good to go.

With no further drama we continued our journey to Canterbury to spend the weekend with Tony (our nephew) & Maria. There we got to meet their student niece Alissea staying with them for most of the summer and working as a multi-lingual guide at Canterbury Cathedral.
There Marie finally got her birthday cake

While we were heading for kent another spare tube was being organised for us courtesy of Shaun who invited us to the BSAOC BBQ to collect said tube.

They even had a Spitfire & Hurricane flypast laid on for us

The leisurely ride continued monday morning with the 08.00 ferry across the Channel to Dunkirk

And here dear friends endeth the Prologue Part One
Part Two to follow

Last edited by beezabryan; 07/30/11 9:46 pm. Reason: can't spell

Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures

It's not the destination, it's the journey.

Bryan
BSA Owners Club UK
Ohio Valley BSAOC USA

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#387089 - 07/31/11 9:22 am Re: Loreley 2011 - Our Tale [Re: BeezaBryan]  
Kev. Online sick
BritBike Forum member
Kev.  Online Sick
BritBike Forum member

Royal Berkshire.
Nice pictures Bryan... and happy birthday Marie

http://kevindean.zenfolio.com/

http://backstreetthunder.wordpress.com/

1950 Vincent Comet
1952 Norton Special
1963 BSA Super Rocket
1970 BSA A65 Lightning
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado x2
2009 Triumph Bonneville (now sold)

#387090 - 07/31/11 9:46 am Re: Loreley 2011 - Our Tale [Re: ]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

Derbyshire UK
Hi Allan, Norfolk Line/DFDS at £54 both ways for the outfit was by far the cheapest & best option for crossing La Manche.
P&O and Seafrance were rather more money plus the extra mileage.

By sea there is a break from riding, the bike is secured on the vehicle deck while you wander off for a first class breakfast to set you up for the day, chill out for a while before arriving Dunkirk fit & raring to go.

On the other hand the Chunnel is much more expensive, you are stuck in a stinky box with your bike, no breakfast, no chance to chill and before you know what has happened you're ejected into the retail wasteland of Coquelles.
3 litres of "Hock" for a fiver? eek
Yuck, that's the stuff the Rhinelanders use to wash their cars! laughing

What with this and your other comment about preferring cake rather than a blonde fraulein shocked I think you may need help

Kevin
Marie says Thank You very much beerchug

Last edited by beezabryan; 07/31/11 9:49 am.

Bryan
BSA Owners Club UK
Ohio Valley BSAOC USA

#387176 - 07/31/11 7:31 pm Re: Loreley 2011 - Our Tale [Re: BeezaBryan]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Looking like a good trip so far.

You may want to consider a bit of Slime or Ride-On for your tube before you trek a la Belgique next time? No punctures with that stuff aboard ....

Lannis

OK, I admit it, I'm addicted to brake fluid.

But I can stop any time I want.
#387190 - 07/31/11 9:40 pm Re: Loreley 2011 - Our Tale [Re: BeezaBryan]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

Derbyshire UK
Now to continue where we left off...........
..........heading for France, not stuck in a stinky train through the tunnel with no creature comforts whatsover but cruising in comfort across the English Channel in the direction of Dunkirk.
So here we are fully rested, full up with a big breakfast and sailing into Dunkirk harbour.

On a fine summery day we are soon on the road heading towards the France/ Belgium border.
Trundling sedately to Brussels getting many a salute from British truck drivers & other connoisseurs of fine classic British motorcycles being used as the makers intended we successfully negotiated the road works on the Ring Road noting the huge traffic tailbacks on the other side thinking may be a good idea to use another route on the way back.

Onwards & northeastwards in the direction of Eindhoven an uneventful 207 mile ride got us to the Limburg town of Neerpelt where we were to be guests of Wim & Christine Frederix and daughter Else of the Belgian BSAOC.

They not only have a fine home but also have a fine workshop where I found Wim & daughter Else preparing their bikes for the Rally. Else was determined to do the Lucas Night Run and to that end she had bought some fairly expensive electronic gear
Here she is, with the guidance from her father, fitting it on her 1952 plunger A7

Wednesday Marie was to have a day out in Hasselt with Christine & Martje while Wim was to take me to the Genever Museum.
And then the weather changed & not for the better!
So me & Wim stayed in the garage while the ladies went off for the day.
Marie being an avid gardener enjoyed the Japanese Gardens

Else being a first class chef poduced a Flemish dinner that evening, damn good it was too.

Next day, in preparation for the arrival of Geoff, Sara and Tony on his WM20, Marie assisted by Else cooked up an authentic Bolognese dinner
The little dog showed great interest but was not allowed a taste, human food is not really good for canines

Like I said the weather was none too good and the intrepid trio had a rainsoaked ride all the way from Calais but they still had big smiles when they arrived

Once inside dry clothes and outside Marie's pasta dinner all was well with the world. A drop or three of wine helped of course!

The only minor casualty was Tony's rear stand that had somehow lost a bolt but with bike hoisted up and a bit of ingenuity on Geoffs part a repair did not take too long.

Meantime I tried to look at BritBike & do a couple of emails. This is when I really had fun (not) working a Flemish keyboard – QWERTY it ain't. Eventually I had to give up the unequal struggle.

A bit more chatter and catching up on each others tales and it was time to sleep. Tomorrow is the big day, the day when we all head for Germany & Loreley

And again dear readers this where I say goodnight

The prologue is finished, the riding buddies are assembled
The Tale proper starts tomorrow

Last edited by beezabryan; 08/01/11 8:37 am. Reason: I missed out photo of the dinner table

Bryan
BSA Owners Club UK
Ohio Valley BSAOC USA

#387231 - 08/01/11 3:37 am Re: Loreley 2011 - Our Tale [Re: BeezaBryan]  
ricochetrider Online content
Moto Mojo
ricochetrider  Online Content

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
the Tale Proper starts on the morrow, Bryan but the Adventure
had long since begun! fantastic pix and of course a very Happy Belated Birthday to Miss Marie, from Miss C and myself.

i'll have to get Cynthia up against the PC to see all the pix posted so far. looking forward to the following chapters! people's pix are slowly trickling in, what a rally it must have been...

cheers my friend!
Tom

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

#387254 - 08/01/11 7:58 am Re: Loreley 2011 - Our Tale [Re: ricochetrider]  
beezageezauk Offline
BritBike Forum member
beezageezauk  Offline
BritBike Forum member

North East England
Great so far Bryan. Looking forward to the rest of the story but it will be a few days before I can see it. I've been preparing a story myself, it's all ready to upload, but my PC has a slow running problem and it's going in for repairs and overhaul today.

Keep up the good work.

Beezageezauk.

#387258 - 08/01/11 8:43 am Re: Loreley 2011 - Our Tale [Re: BeezaBryan]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

Derbyshire UK
Sorry folk, when I looked at last nights effort I saw I'd missed a photo. Of the dinner table before Geoff & Tony set about the WM20 rear stand.
Must have been sleep

Had my morning tea & biscuits, now back to the chores

Bryan
BSA Owners Club UK
Ohio Valley BSAOC USA

#387379 - 08/01/11 10:13 pm Re: Loreley 2011 - Our Tale [Re: BeezaBryan]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

Derbyshire UK
What a pleasant surprise after yesterday

Overnight the weather changed from dark damp overcast & 'orrible to blue skies dry & sunny.
By the appointed hour the International convoy ( Netherlands, Flemish, English & Italian was assembled and ready for the off.

Marie was unconvinced about the weather & opted for over trousers

The Dutch couple leading us had devised a cross country route avoiding motorways as much as possible. With one exception it was a grand ride through the Ardennes and Eiffel.
The exception?
The sign said Route Dégradé which translated into reality was about 10km (may have been less but it felt like 100km) of completely knackered road where we were down to 25 mph & still getting hammered. Geoff's newly refurbished sidecar suffered a fractured mudguard stay and had to be removed & stowed.
Unbeknown until later my (not cheap) halogen headlight bulb had been shaken to death.
Other than that progress was steady with regular fuel stops interspersed with a couple of food & coffee stops at the tidy township of Eupen

and again at Nurburgring for coffee & cake
As the Formula One was scheduled for the following weekend a mental note was made to find a different route back

A lot of fahrting going on here laughing

Soon (or soonish) we were at Koblenz, across the Rhine and heading upstream along the valley with its vineyards & Walt Disney style Castles on the steep valley sides. Finally arriving at the little town of Sankt Goarhausen we found a sign for Loreley taking us up a steep twisting road up through a gap in the valley side round the back of Burg Katz (Cat Castle!) onward & upward to our final destination – the 48th BSAOC International Rally – Loreley

And now – What we did

On saturday while the guys had been doing whatever guys do the ladies had been exploring.
The next morning we all went on a mystery walk with these ladies, we did not know where but I did see something about Geoff and a beer garden on the way

Sure enough there was a biergarten right on the edge of the cliff looking down on the Rhine and Geoff was with us!

And for 1968BSA aka Allan

A couple of blondes and some old geezer

Coffee & more cake and back to the Rally site in time for the opening ceremony starting with local musicians Ranunculus playing an assortment of pipes, drums, hudy-gurdy.

I don't normally do bike photos except sometimes an oddity catches my attention, like this unusually finished bantam

Nor could I resist a photograph of Anki photographing bikes

Bryan
BSA Owners Club UK
Ohio Valley BSAOC USA

#387380 - 08/01/11 10:19 pm Re: Loreley 2011 - Our Tale [Re: BeezaBryan]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

Derbyshire UK
The hotel behind the Rally site had quite a decent restaurent where Sara had the foresight to reserve a table for our little gang, then Morgan, wife (as she was listed in the rally guide book!) and Dennis tacked their reservation on to ours

Dunno what it was but Sara got well tucked into it

Our Schnitzel was tasty and made even tastier with a few slurps of Rotwein

A post-prandial stroll ( if you don't know what I'm blethering on about do a Google thing)
on the terrace got us a late evening view of St Goarhausen

And that folks seems a good time to stop for this evening bigt

Bryan
BSA Owners Club UK
Ohio Valley BSAOC USA

#387422 - 08/02/11 2:12 am Re: Loreley 2011 - Our Tale [Re: BeezaBryan]  
Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
talk about an all-star cast of characters!
fabulous. thanks Bryan, i await the next installment! clap

Cheers! beerchug

Tom

#387521 - 08/02/11 7:53 pm Re: Loreley 2011 - Our Tale [Re: BeezaBryan]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

Derbyshire UK
Monday a drizzly damp morning just the right thing for a ride up, down, round, across various twisty bits to the line up at Niederwalddenkmal (that's the place Morgan could not remember)
The route was very good & would have been superb with drier brighter weather.

Just a couple of casualties along the way

Niederwalddenkmal is a monument high above the wine village of Rudesheim commemorating the foundation of the German Empire after the end of the Franco- Prussian War.
Currently being restored

That evening was The Wine Walk. After a bit of a briefing by our guide we set off on what should have been a 3 1/5 km trail.

That distance is quite do-able thought I, but I like many others had not considered the steepness of the terrain!

The end at Borniche was well worth the pain. There was badly needed water, food and most important – WINE

All very civilised

Instead of the Tuesday river trip me & Marie took the ferry across to St Goar for a train ride to Mainz where we have family

And now the BBQ

I'm not saying the pork was tough but a rummage in my toolbox for the correct implement

While some were whirling about the dance floor

"Our Lisa" was giving a pole dancing demo

Bryan
BSA Owners Club UK
Ohio Valley BSAOC USA

#387524 - 08/02/11 7:59 pm Re: Loreley 2011 - Our Tale [Re: BeezaBryan]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

Derbyshire UK
Of course we did a bit of roaming around, along the river, a over the top, a ferry across the other side, visit a castle or two, eat food, drink coffee etc before the obligatory dinner /dance.

Bugger walking up that hill to Burg Rheinfels castle - let the train take the strain

Bryan
BSA Owners Club UK
Ohio Valley BSAOC USA

#387525 - 08/02/11 8:07 pm Re: Loreley 2011 - Our Tale [Re: BeezaBryan]  
Pete C Offline
BritBike Forum member
Pete C  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Germany
The picture of the Biergarten reminded me that I spent some 7 hours there while others were being sensiible and taking a civilised trip down the river. That was an early night for me (8PM!) blush
Cheers
Pete

Cheers
Pete
#387527 - 08/02/11 8:24 pm Re: Loreley 2011 - Our Tale [Re: BeezaBryan]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

Derbyshire UK
Dinner was rather better than the BBQ in fact it was approved by both cooks in the group – Marie & Else.

All dressed in our best Rally gear but Wade can explain his choice of tie better than me

To say the seating was cosy was to say the least. Seeing more tables & benches being crammed init looked like there were more of us than expected. I guess finding somewhere big enough in this particular area was difficult, probably the nearest big town would be Koblenz or maybe Mainz. Both are some distance away.

Now that's me lot for tonight.
You'll all be pleased to know that the next episode will be the epilogue, the end, possibly beerchug

And Pete, being in the Biergarten was probably a good idea. Had we not been going to Mainz we may well have done the same.

Bryan
BSA Owners Club UK
Ohio Valley BSAOC USA

#387545 - 08/02/11 9:25 pm Re: Loreley 2011 - Our Tale [Re: ]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

Derbyshire UK
Originally Posted By: 1968BSA
Originally Posted By: beezabryan

Im not sure what this is supposed to be but the thought of an evening with it would give me nightmares.

I think it would be called Croque Madame in Belgium or France, it was our lunch and very tasty it was too.

The Lucas Night Run is a long held tradition. I tried it once in Denmark & made a right pigs ear of it.

Young Else spent a lot of time and money to have a superb headlight and was mightily pi££ed off when the event was cancelled mad

Bryan
BSA Owners Club UK
Ohio Valley BSAOC USA

#387569 - 08/02/11 11:48 pm Re: Loreley 2011 - Our Tale [Re: BeezaBryan]  
Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
still more great pix and wonderful outlay of your time spent!
LA Croque Madame actually looks quite palatable to my eye, Bryan- i'm sure it was pretty good, tho i might have had a go after midnight or so... laugh

from what i can tell that daylight ferry ride was like the *wine walk*- seemed a good idea but wound up a bit of an endurance run- if the earlier pix of all the snoozing aboard the ferry tell the tale correctly... y'all probably did just fine going to Mainz to see the rels.

Cheers!
Tom

#387577 - 08/03/11 12:24 am Re: Loreley 2011 - Our Tale [Re: BeezaBryan]  
raf940 Offline
BritBike Forum member
raf940  Offline
BritBike Forum member

gastonia nc
[/quote]
Im not sure what this is supposed to be but the thought of an evening with it would give me nightmares.

Looks like boobs

1972 Triumph T120
1968 BSA A65
1968 MGB Roadster
1979 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta
1969 Honda Mini Trail
1939 farmall f30 tractor
2004 Honda Shadow Aero
1972 BSA Thunderbolt
1975 yamaha xs650b
1972 Norton commando project
#387760 - 08/04/11 12:14 am Re: Loreley 2011 - Our Tale [Re: BeezaBryan]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

Derbyshire UK
A few more pics from our wanderings

Amcient plumbing Burg Rheinfels

The little ferry to Boppard

Geoff doing what he does best – mending bits of bike. With a Primus stove & a bit of solder Rigo gets the cracked union fixed on his copper petrol pipe.

Another likeable oddity

Wade will tell the story on this one

Had ourselves a quiet chill out Friday finishing with am evening with friends

Then saturday morning the rally is over, the Box is packed ready for the ride in the general direction of home

Likewise Geoff & Sara. Not forgetting Wade & Gerry, Robin and Shaun & our Lisa following along in a 4 wheeled contraption who joined us for part of the journey.

A ferry ride across the river to St Goar and following the route devised by Geoff & Sara – who needs Tom Tom with these two?

Through the Eiffel and Ardennes on good riding roads avoiding Nurburgring and that godawful road that nearly destroyed us we were back at our night stop.

After a nights rest the final run back to Dunkirk again by a route planned by our very own human TomToms that took us via Antwerp and more decent riding roads.
They even found us some proper motorcycle parking.

Finally here is what we had all been waiting for

A big waiter service dinner of lamb shank on the evening Norfolk line ferry to Dover

You don't this on that tube train thingy from the illegal immigrant camp to Folkeston.

Bryan
BSA Owners Club UK
Ohio Valley BSAOC USA

#387761 - 08/04/11 12:16 am Re: Loreley 2011 - Our Tale [Re: BeezaBryan]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

Derbyshire UK
Nor do you get a scene like this when arriving in Dover

Out the docks, up the hill to where our three companions had their night stop. Me & marie rode on to Canterbury where we then spent a few days with family before the final ride home
That is it, the 48th BSAOC International Rally is over, now back to reality.
Whatever the deficiencies at Loreley it is the people that make a successful rally.
For me & Marie it was a successful event, we enjoyed most every minute. We spent time with folks we'd not seen for quite a while, we found new friends. Yes it was good
OK so me & Marie were knackered at times but it does not seem to matter now.
The German Club people worked hard all week, some names I cannot remember (even if I knew them anyway!) of those I can there comes immediately to mind Christiana, her son Hilger and his girlfriend, not forgetting the indefatiguable Jurgen.

And that folks is our Tale finished .

We hope to see some of you another time in another field

Last edited by beezabryan; 08/04/11 12:17 am.

Bryan
BSA Owners Club UK
Ohio Valley BSAOC USA

#387887 - 08/04/11 6:41 pm Re: Loreley 2011 - Our Tale [Re: BeezaBryan]  
Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
three cheers, Bryan! clap
a tale well told and a rally well presented. what lovely countryside, and a great turn-out of our friends to hang out with while there. bigt

#387904 - 08/04/11 7:28 pm Re: Loreley 2011 - Our Tale [Re: BeezaBryan]  
beezageezauk Offline
BritBike Forum member
beezageezauk  Offline
BritBike Forum member

North East England
Excellent story excellently executed Bryan.

Well done and thanks for your time and effort to share it with us.

Beezageezauk.

#389090 - 08/11/11 8:21 pm Re: Loreley 2011 - Our Tale [Re: ]  
TT John Offline
BritBike Forum member
TT John  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Whitstable England
This is called a strammermax, or toast Hawaiyee, its a little shinken on toast with a pineapple ring on top then cheese melted over the top. traditional German fare for the small appitite. (very tastey)

Moderated by  Andy Lorenz 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.230s Queries: 15 (0.006s) Memory: 0.9978 MB (Peak: 1.3598 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-25 09:44:36 UTC