BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JRC Engineering dealers
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
v8doog
v8doog
Montreal, Qc, Can.
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
25 registered members (79T140E), 127 guests, and 442 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Stew Dempsey, JoeBrown, Bart223, Duckster, IDG1
10174 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 102
reverb 89
Stuart 71
koan58 68
L.A.B. 54
Popular Topics(Views)
553,921 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics66,603
Posts645,484
Members10,174
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
SRM Clutch Upgrades #384976
07/18/11 3:23 am
07/18/11 3:23 am
Philadelphia, PA USA
Back2Brits Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Back2Brits  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Philadelphia, PA USA
Hi All,

Doing a clutch "freshening" on my '69 Lightning as I (OK, I have help on the transmission, so it's "we") chase down a case of popping out of gear when hot & under acelleration load. And no, I don't expect a clutch to fix that problem. It's more a case of, "well, while we're here, lets do this, too."

I picked up an SRM Pressure Plate recently. Now I'm wondering about the friction plates themselves. I have three ways to go:
1. wet-sand & reuse the originals (10,000 miles on 'em, still good)
2. replace with a set made by Barnett ($75, +/-)
3. replace with the SRM multiplate disc kit ($143 plus shipping from Blighty at, what, $30?)

SRM recommends their kit - surprise! Any word on the Barnett product? Any wisdom on mixing the makers on the components?

Just wondering how best to maximize the dollars to get the best bang for the buck. Any advice or experience is appreciateed.

- Conrad

Back2Brits
1969 A-65 Lightning

"Ride....? On THAT?" asked my wife. Which is why I ride solo.
Support your #1 BSA Forum and our favorite sponsors

Check out BSA on e-bay: BSA Parts in UK, BSA Motorcycles in UK, BSA Parts in North America, BSA Motorcycles in North America

Re: SRM Clutch Upgrades [Re: Back2Brits] #384989
07/18/11 10:06 am
07/18/11 10:06 am
Sydney Australia
B
BSA_WM20 Online content
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
B
Sydney Australia
Depends upon how good your plates are.
If your clutch was not slipping before then don't fix what isn't broke.
IF it was then do a quick deglaze with some fine wet & dry.
If the whole clutch is now a little thin then add another plain plate to make up the thickness.
Barnets have a really good name but I have never used them so I can not evaluate.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Re: SRM Clutch Upgrades [Re: BSA_WM20] #384992
07/18/11 10:43 am
07/18/11 10:43 am
Lives in Devon, covered in oil
D
DickDastardly Offline
BritBike Forum member
DickDastardly  Offline
BritBike Forum member
D
Originally Posted By: BSA_WM20

If the whole clutch is now a little thin then add another plain plate to make up the thickness.

Hmmmm! When I first got my Thunderbolt in 1978 the guy that owned it before had done this frown

The clutch dragged at slow speeds and slipped at higher speeds, as I was 'green' then I didn't know how many plates should be there and just thought I wasn't adjusting it properly blush

But when I 'coffed' out for a manuual and seen that the clutch had been bodged, this explaned why the cluch centre also kept "coming apart" and stripping theads.

My advice for what it's worth, is to dig deep buy the right parts from a decent supplier, (one that you can go back to if it's not right)it'll work out cheaper in the end and with less hassle.

As far as Barnet goes, I wouldn't fit one in my Harley there has been problems with wear, mentioned on the Harley forums in the UK, but they may be OK for the BSA 2c

Re: SRM Clutch Upgrades [Re: DickDastardly] #385014
07/18/11 12:50 pm
07/18/11 12:50 pm
Philadelphia, PA USA
Back2Brits Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Back2Brits  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Philadelphia, PA USA
Thank you Devon & Dick Dastardly. I appreciate the info. Buying the top $ part is usually what I do, as that's the only way to assure quality these days. This in turn produces an argument with the "Minister of Finance". Ah, true love....

The pressure plate was purchased to help solve some clutch dragging when the Lightning is warm. Adjusting the clutch as the engine reaches temperature isn't always the safest practice in modern traffic. I need a "set it and get on with it" solution.

I'm curious to see if the quality levels of the SRM clutch pack matches the reputation, and the price. SRM has had a few problems over the years with a variety of its products. All seem to have been solved. But....

Anybody else?

Back2Brits
1969 A-65 Lightning

Re: SRM Clutch Upgrades [Re: Back2Brits] #385100
07/18/11 10:25 pm
07/18/11 10:25 pm
Mississauga, Ontario.
A
Adam M. Offline
BritBike Forum member
Adam M.  Offline
BritBike Forum member
A
Mississauga, Ontario.
I was looking for the best bang for a buck too, so decided not to buy SRM plate. My clutch was dragging and nearly impossible to engage.
What I did was conversion to older BSA system ( my BSA is 70 with Triumph ramps and balls ) - you already have it.
I bought a new cable and carefully set up original pressure plate to be completely parallel to the rest of the plates when engaged.
I set up and locktited central clutch adjuster screw to have plates really loose when a clutch is engaged.
Result - light and faultlessly working clutch with minimal investment smile

Re: SRM Clutch Upgrades [Re: Back2Brits] #385124
07/19/11 1:13 am
07/19/11 1:13 am
Philadelphia, PA USA
Back2Brits Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Back2Brits  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Philadelphia, PA USA
Thanks, Adam. I have an NOS BSA clutch cable, all ready to go. As for making sure everything's parallel, well, it'll be fun working with those 3 little screws and the funky tool.

Between this and a thread I just found from July 10, I think I'm set. That is, until something goes hopelessly wrong.....

Nah. Never happens.

Cheers,
Conrad

Back2Brits
1969 A-65 Lightning

Re: SRM Clutch Upgrades [Re: Back2Brits] #385139
07/19/11 2:59 am
07/19/11 2:59 am
Atlanta, GA USA
S
Semper Gumby Offline
BritBike Forum member
Semper Gumby  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Atlanta, GA USA
I have used a Barnett clutch plates in two bikes - a Honda 400F and the Firebird. In both cases I have found the same thing happening. The plates must be thicker than stock because it seems I can't completely disengage the clutch with the handle pinned to the bar.

Love the cables, don't much like the plates.

Remember to score up the metal plates as well. Concrete floors are pretty good flat surfaces for this job.

Gaggle of BSAs
a Honda
an old BMW
and a Montesa
Parking lot Elf in training
Re: SRM Clutch Upgrades [Re: Back2Brits] #385170
07/19/11 11:20 am
07/19/11 11:20 am
Stone Creek OH USA
R
Rich B Offline

BritBike Forum member
Rich B  Offline

BritBike Forum member
R
Stone Creek OH USA
IME, best clutch pack for the money, is from MAP Cycle in St Petersburg FL. I recently had my Lightning clutch out due to a primary chain replacement, at 30k miles, the MAP clutch looks like new. grin I like that. Still works a treat too.

IME, the Barnett clutches are miserable beasts, drag when warm, stick after sitting....just not worth it IMO.

Life is too short to drink cheap, bad beer.
Re: SRM Clutch Upgrades [Re: Back2Brits] #385207
07/19/11 4:24 pm
07/19/11 4:24 pm
ohio
shel Offline
BritBike Forum member
shel  Offline
BritBike Forum member
ohio
I have the MAP plates too. No sticking, no dragging and neutral is easy to find even when sitting still.
I have a very low mileage set of Barnett plates in a box around here somewhere.
I do like Barnett cables though.

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
Re: SRM Clutch Upgrades [Re: Back2Brits] #385209
07/19/11 4:32 pm
07/19/11 4:32 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Offline

Life member
Lannis  Offline

Life member
Central Virginia
Originally Posted By: Back2Brits
Hi All,

Doing a clutch "freshening" on my '69 Lightning as I (OK, I have help on the transmission, so it's "we") chase down a case of popping out of gear when hot & under acelleration load. And no, I don't expect a clutch to fix that problem. It's more a case of, "well, while we're here, lets do this, too."

I picked up an SRM Pressure Plate recently. Now I'm wondering about the friction plates themselves. I have three ways to go:
1. wet-sand & reuse the originals (10,000 miles on 'em, still good)
2. replace with a set made by Barnett ($75, +/-)
3. replace with the SRM multiplate disc kit ($143 plus shipping from Blighty at, what, $30?)

SRM recommends their kit - surprise! Any word on the Barnett product? Any wisdom on mixing the makers on the components?

Just wondering how best to maximize the dollars to get the best bang for the buck. Any advice or experience is appreciateed.

- Conrad

I used Barnett clutch plates; they worked well. Never any sticking, never any slipping, always a clean release.

However, after about 20,000 miles of hard use, they were pretty ragged looking, so I replaced them with whatever brand of replacement plates that Baxter's sells, and I'm trying them.

I also switched from ATF back to 30-weight oil in the primary, just to see. I still like the clutch action, no sticking, no slipping, so maybe the lube doesn't make that big a difference. I'm riding the bike regularly, and will put another 1000 miles on it on the OVBSAOC trip in a few weeks, so we'll see how they go .... !

Lannis

You can ignore reality but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.
Re: SRM Clutch Upgrades [Re: Lannis] #385260
07/19/11 7:53 pm
07/19/11 7:53 pm
Philadelphia, PA USA
Back2Brits Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Back2Brits  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Philadelphia, PA USA
Thanks, Lannis. Can't find anything about the Baxter stuff on their site. I'll have to call them and find out more.

I hadn't considered MAP, but then, I've never used them either. But their kit sure looks interesting. I'm tempted...

I think I'm with you, Lannis, on the primary chain oil. My '69 book says to use clean engine oil. So, straight 30 weight or engine oil or ATF fluid all seem to work about equally as well from what I've seen on other posts. It seems to me that something just has to be there.

Back2Brits
1969 A-65 Lightning

Re: SRM Clutch Upgrades [Re: Back2Brits] #385262
07/19/11 8:00 pm
07/19/11 8:00 pm
Stone Creek OH USA
R
Rich B Offline

BritBike Forum member
Rich B  Offline

BritBike Forum member
R
Stone Creek OH USA
Engine oil was state of the art when your bike was new.

Honda sells a red oil that has the consistency of ATF but it is spec'd for the transmissions and clutches of the CR off road bikes. Works wonderful. bigt

Life is too short to drink cheap, bad beer.
Re: SRM Clutch Upgrades [Re: Back2Brits] #385379
07/20/11 1:39 pm
07/20/11 1:39 pm
Cape Carteret, NC
M
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member
M
Cape Carteret, NC
MY luck with Barnett plates is that they stick after sitting for a period of time. Maybe the new ones won't stick, but i changed mine to get rid of the sticking. On the dragging issue: My A65 dragged when the engine was hot. I tried everything to get it to quit and nothing worked. Finally I changed clutch levers...not to fix the dragging but to add morror perches. I used Triumph levers. I noticed that the Triumph levers has a longer distance between the pivot point and the center of the cable attachment point. This means that there is more"throw" on the clutch or that it will move the pressure plate a greater distance. It also made the clutch lever harder to pull, but it Immediately and permanently solved my clutch dragging problem. I use motor oil in all my clutches.

Mr Mike

Re: SRM Clutch Upgrades [Re: Mr Mike] #385404
07/20/11 4:59 pm
07/20/11 4:59 pm
D
DickDastardly Offline
BritBike Forum member
DickDastardly  Offline
BritBike Forum member
D
Ah, a thread that degenerates into oil talk, my favourite crazy

Well for my two-penneth worth (the English version of 2 cents) I have used this, as the manual says use 'Castrolite' so here it is!

Holden Vintage and Classic

Regards

Last edited by DickDastardly; 07/20/11 5:09 pm.

Re: SRM Clutch Upgrades [Re: DickDastardly] #385637
07/22/11 1:01 am
07/22/11 1:01 am
Philadelphia, PA USA
Back2Brits Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Back2Brits  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Philadelphia, PA USA
Castrolite! Wow, haven't given it a thought since I last saw a friend's MGTD. Perfect solution though. A bit dear in England. Almost impossible to find here in the USA. Almost....

Anyway, waxing on about oil (groan) is tangential. I ordered the MAP clutch kit, based mostly on what I saw here.

Now, what to do with the SRM Pressure Plate.... the guy at MAP talked it down, no surprise. But I'm still of a mind to use it with the new plates.

Any thoughts about combining the two? Will I end up with Robo-clutch, or Franken-bike?

BTW - I found a set of Triumph levers in really good shape from a T150. Dead ringers for what was on my Lightning, except for the cable adjusters. Those suckers just look like they'll work far better than my tired old 4 point star adjusters. Has anyone else tried to use those long, threaded Triumph cable adjusters on their otherwise orignal patterned BSA cables? Any advice or warning of pitfalls is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Conrad

Back2Brits
1969 A-65 Lightning

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership