BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Jwood & co JRC Engineering dealers Jwood & co
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Wilmslow
Wilmslow
South West USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
39 registered members (bill50cal), 215 guests, and 95 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
FireGuyKC, spuggy, Vinny Cotroneo, KeithM, Mridul Handa
10285 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 97
Lannis 60
Popular Topics(Views)
633,639 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,349
Posts653,866
Members10,285
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Jim Hunter #379719
06/19/11 3:47 pm
06/19/11 3:47 pm
WA
L
lory johnson Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
lory johnson  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
L
WA
I just was looking around the internet this morning June 19-2011 and found out Jim Hunter is no longer with us... very sad.
I talked to him a few years ago asking him for help with my GS and he gave me ideas and phone numbers.
I rode out of San Diego so I never met Jim but I did meet him one summer at Prado Park and where I learned something.
Just the other day I wrote the folloeing letter to a racer friend in CA about the lesson I learned up at Prado.

A GRAPHIC LESSON

In the late sixties I was just about through racing but a friend of mine wanted me to go with him to LA to help him with his race bike at a 1/2 mile TT track so just for something to kill time with I took one of my old beat up BSA Gold Stars to enter in the 500cc class.

Jim Hunter the local hot shoe was there with his Gold Star and when he got a good lead was putting on a great show by getting out in the soft stuff in the big turn about 80mph and getting sideways.

So I line up for the first heat right beside Jim because I wanted to use him as a pace setter because I knew he knew the track very well but when he looked over at my bike I wanted to crawl into a hole because I was sure he was thinking my bike should be confiscated right then and there to give to a deserving owner because his Gold Star was perfect in every way ...alloy everywhere tank, rims, engine mounts and mine with iron and steel and rust with teeth missing off the rear sprocket and shrader valves brazed to the rear shocks to fill them with 50wt so they might almost work for 30 minutes.

But anyway we took off and Jim was first into the corner and me right behind but after a few turns he pulled about 8 bike lengths on me so I knew if he got away I would have to learn the track on my own so I really threw it into the big 1/2 mile turn and pulled right up to his back wheel as we were now down in the fast blue groove and I realized that if I was going to even try to stay with Jim I would have to ride harder than I ever had and I was very uncomfortable with the speed and thought no I can't do this and a split second later my tires let go and I was on my back sliding off to the guard rail. Well I knew we had the same cut Pirellis and we weighed about the same so something was different.

So back home I took off my old steel wheels which I had hammered most of the dents out from a lifetime of desert racing by a former owner, so I took off the tires and pounded the things a little straighter and tightened the spokes so only the left side of the rim was straight and the right side was really bad but the only right turn was soft dirt. then I mounted the tires and using a dial indicator ground off any remaining high spots of rubber on the left side ( got it down to .005" ) and returned to Los Angeles the next weekend.
So here we were again Jim on my left and off to the first turn we went with Jim leading the pack and me following but now I knew the track a little better so he didn't get away so fast and on the first lap when we got to the blue groove in the big turn in the exact spot where I slid out Jim was right there and I thought his bike must not be running very good or he doesn't feel well or something because I couldn't figure out why he was going so much slower than last weekend but we were actually going the same speed as last weekend but it didn't feel like it. and a split second later his tires let go and he was down and headed for the crash wall and since I was no more than 12" off his rear tire I thought I was going to run over the local favorite and the crowd was going to stone me but I missed him.

But what a lesson I learned from that little episode It was hard to believe that now I could ride a fraction of a MPH faster in the same corner and the bike felt stable and smooth but if I would have returned to that track I am sure Jim would have looked to his bike and would have had an answer for me. The only thing I can think of is Jim did not dial in his tires ? I wish I knew.

I still have one of his pistons in my GS. and if I can find the photo of that piston and what it went through to finish a road race fo me I will post it. I destroyed many pistons in the past but this one was different.

Support your #1 BSA Forum and our favorite sponsors

Check out BSA on e-bay: BSA Parts in UK, BSA Motorcycles in UK, BSA Parts in North America, BSA Motorcycles in North America

Re: Jim Hunter [Re: lory johnson] #379762
06/19/11 10:12 pm
06/19/11 10:12 pm
Phoenix,AZ USA
J
JohnEvans Offline
BritBike Forum member
JohnEvans  Offline
BritBike Forum member
J
Phoenix,AZ USA
Ah Yes : Old Jim was a crusty old dude for sure. I somehow got on his good side in the later 70s and had free run of his shop and parts area. Most people got no further than the bungy cords streched across the entryways. Bought a bike or 2 from him over the years also. Indirectly he led me to owning a Vincent Black Shadow. On the wall in the shop area was a small picture of a guy with a Greeves Silverstone. Turns out this was a friend of his that was interested in selling the Greeves. Long story short bought the Greeves and a few years later used it for a partial trade on a ratty Vin.
He use to run around with the gal that ran Century Cycles down in San Pedro. Can't think of her name at the moment , but she was a caracter in her own right. I would come to the LA area from Phoenix pretty much at least monthly and there were about a half a dozen shops I would hit.
Ah ! those were the good days cheap fuel and lots of parts to be found. Ascot for the 1/2 flat track and speedway further south.
John

John
Re: Jim Hunter [Re: lory johnson] #379823
06/20/11 5:36 am
06/20/11 5:36 am
Orygone
Boomer Offline

BritBike Forum member
Boomer  Offline

BritBike Forum member
Orygone
I think I remember that piston in a Vintage Race in Portland about 1990 or so.

Boomer
Re: Jim Hunter [Re: JohnEvans] #379824
06/20/11 5:44 am
06/20/11 5:44 am
The Northwoods... Michigan
Steve Erickson Offline
BritBike Forum member
Steve Erickson  Offline
BritBike Forum member
The Northwoods... Michigan
The lady you're thinking of is Cindy, still owner of Century... and still QUITE a character!

Re: Jim Hunter [Re: Boomer] #379847
06/20/11 12:43 pm
06/20/11 12:43 pm
WA
L
lory johnson Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
lory johnson  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
L
WA
the piston in Portland sort of came out the exaust pipe the amazing one was is seattle that stayed together and became a lump of aluminum and continued to push the bike around a few laps the only reason I did this to an old Gold Star it was supposed to be my last race and I just wanted to finish..... bad me.
the pin hole on one side enlarged to over an inch in dia. and that doesent happen in a few seconds and as long as the revs were up the poor thing would fire....I repeat.... BAD ME

Re: Jim Hunter [Re: lory johnson] #383577
07/10/11 6:02 pm
07/10/11 6:02 pm
Ohio
R
Rickman Offline
BritBike Forum member
Rickman  Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
Ohio
Sorry to hear Jim is gone now.

I too, got to be able to wander the parts, much later in knowing Jim, with him helping me spot what I needed.

He even managed to help me find a front end for an A10, that needed the nacell type head light set-up.

He never seemed to me to be crusty... Maybe he had to be, when dealing with the obviously crudlies and whinning poor, trying to cut his pricing down?
I asked his price, and gladly paid, no questions. Maybe that's what helped me get into his good graces?

He will be missed...

I've heard of Century Cycles, but never managed to get down there... Now I'm 2500 miles away...
Brett

Last edited by Rickman; 07/10/11 11:17 pm.
Re: Jim Hunter [Re: lory johnson] #383605
07/10/11 8:47 pm
07/10/11 8:47 pm
Michigan, USA
BONZO R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
BONZO R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance
Michigan, USA
I am not good with names but I don't think I ever met the guy,but it sounds like he was one of the " GOOD ONES", The "GOOD ONES"seem to be falling off, I "suppose" this is all the way it is supposed to happen but it is always tragic, it seems that an early age a lotta "friends" met their demise , lately a lotta more respectable guys have met their maker ,nothing makes sense ,LIVE FOR TODAY!!!!!

FWIW-BONZO

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership