BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
63SuperRocket
63SuperRocket
Portland, ME
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
220 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,763 guests, and 545 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews
9958 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 190
koan58 100
Stuart 86
NickL 72
Popular Topics(Views)
437,841 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,282
Posts632,304
Members9,958
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#380300 - 06/22/11 3:47 pm Those New Little Square Ford Vans?  
leon bee Offline
BritBike Forum member
leon bee  Offline
BritBike Forum member

arkansas
I think they say Transit Connect on the back, in the USA. Can you get a bike in one of them? I've peeked in the back of a couple, they seem awful short. You could run the front wheel between the seats, but there is brake lever and stuff there. I guess I could ride an oily bike to the dealership and ask to try it on.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#380305 - 06/22/11 4:07 pm Re: Those New Little Square Ford Vans? [Re: leon bee]  
Mister B Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mister B  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Kansas, America
Hey Leon-
You're in luck, sort of. I work at a used car lot that services a Ford and a Chrysler dealership and I have an '11 Transit and rode a '73 Bonneville to work today. From my precise(!?!) measurements, you would have the front wheel in the cupholder between the front seats with you. This is taking the taillight into account, of course. It would go, but only just.
Best,
Mike
Albert, KS

#380306 - 06/22/11 4:10 pm Re: Those New Little Square Ford Vans? [Re: leon bee]  
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Hi Leon,

Originally Posted By: leon bee
I think they say Transit Connect on the back,

European Transit Connect

Can you get a bike in
they seem awful short.

Sort of. I reckon a road bike's generally about eight feet long - that gives a bit of space especially at the back so you don't crunch the tail light when you slam the back door or accelerate a bit enthusiastically ... whistle

The load space of the European Transit Connect isn't anywhere near eight feet long but, if you put the bike diagonally across the load space, turn the front wheel and don't close one of the back doors, or it's a race or small bike, it can be possible.

Ime and mho, unless you've got a regular use for a bike-carrying van - in which case have a proper one - a trailer and tow-car are easier to live with and justify.

Hth.

Regards,

#380309 - 06/22/11 4:25 pm Re: Those New Little Square Ford Vans? [Re: Stuart]  
Bigtwin Offline
BritBike Forum member
Bigtwin  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Southeast Usa
Hi!
I have seen several of these being used to haul mostly race bikes... front wheel stop nested between the seats, handlebars just behind the drivers head location. Initially, I thought they would be an ideal single bike transport with room on the sides for gear & whatever. After viewing the price ( too high in my estimation )and talking to some service folks around town who drive these things daily, I have gathered the following comments: I) underpowered II) limited range, as in crummy MPG, & III) a bit short on transport space. It is a shame, especially since most of the manufacturers have viable international alternatives. In my town, I can buy a Dodge Ram pick-up, well equipped for much less than one of these box vans.... It will tow anything at the expense of MPG. Although there is not that much difference from the reports I have heard.

Bigtwin

#380314 - 06/22/11 4:46 pm Re: Those New Little Square Ford Vans? [Re: Bigtwin]  
Mister B Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mister B  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Kansas, America
I've got to agree with Stuart & bigtwin. A pickup is much more usable or an enclosed trailer if you want to go that way. I can see a Transit being ok if you're in a service role in a big city where small can be good. Otherwise give me a pickup any day.
Mike

#380364 - 06/22/11 10:24 pm Re: Those New Little Square Ford Vans? [Re: leon bee]  
Ob1quixote Online content
BritBike Forum member
Ob1quixote  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Charleston SC
Nissan has a new boxxy van, definitely looks capable of hauling a bike.
They come in hi-top models as well.

I think theyre ugly as hell!

When singing "Kung Fu Fighting" is outlawed, only outlaws will sing "Kung Fu Fighting"
#380394 - 06/23/11 1:25 am Re: Those New Little Square Ford Vans? [Re: leon bee]  
Matthew in TO Offline
BritBike Forum member
Matthew in TO  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I say go with the Honda Element. You can definitely fit a bikem especially a smaller classic Brit machine, and you can get a camper conversion - perfect for the classic bike rallies.

1970 Triumph T100S (1969 T100S motor)
#380395 - 06/23/11 1:40 am Re: Those New Little Square Ford Vans? [Re: leon bee]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Cycle World just did a review of the Ford Transit as a bike hauler.

Said you could get a clip-on equipped old Brit in IF you put the front wheel up in between the front seats. Forget any dirt bike or faired sport bike.

They didn't recommend it as a stand alone bike puller.

Lannis

OK, I admit it, I'm addicted to brake fluid.

But I can stop any time I want.
#380403 - 06/23/11 3:15 am Re: Those New Little Square Ford Vans? [Re: leon bee]  
dave - NV Online content
BritBike Forum member
dave - NV  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Elko, Nevada USA
Ive used vans and pickup trucks hauling bikes and families in the vans since 'way back when'.

Our current full size 'passenger' Ford van is the best of all. With the back most seat removed (now a couch in my computer room) it works great hauling bikes and stil useful with passengers on the back seat. Trucking Goldies to CA to ride the twisties or loading up two dirt trackers and all the race stuff it works great. There's some security over nighting at a motel with sheets covering everything unlike bikes on a open trailer or pickup.

I fabbed a tube affair across behind the the back seat that's bolted to the removed rear most seat floor fittings to secure the front wheels with tie down loops and floor fittings for tie downs. Works a treat. Photos on request.

The only other dedicated bike hauler I would consider would be the tall MB/Crysler van. But would 'your other' drive it to the mall? I don't think so. I've seen many of the speedway racers in SoCA using the smaller Chev utility vans hauling bikes and stuff.

Speaking of small vans... we've seem many small vans in England made by Ford and Peugot used by the trades men that we don't see in the US. hmmm. Some years ago I had close and painful encounter with one of those in a roundabout in central England. Van 1, Goldie 0. aarrgh.

Last edited by dave - NV; 06/23/11 3:22 am.

dave - NV
#380409 - 06/23/11 4:06 am Re: Those New Little Square Ford Vans? [Re: leon bee]  
leon bee Offline
BritBike Forum member
leon bee  Offline
BritBike Forum member

arkansas
That bike in the Honda sure looks cozy. And that Japanese van is kinda ugly, but not near as ugly as those Mercedes/Dodge vans.

I'm a carpenter and used to have a rock and roll band, so I've driven panel vans for years. I like having my bike right in there inside with me when hauling it somewhere. And I like having some room to sleep next to it, (if the gas leaks aren't too bad). Got two vans now, but they are getting aged and ragged.........starting to think about something new. I guess that little ford ain't gonna be it.

#380410 - 06/23/11 4:15 am Re: Those New Little Square Ford Vans? [Re: leon bee]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
........starting to think about something new. I guess that little ford ain't gonna be it.

It's always a trade-off .... room and comfort vs. gas mileage. The full size vans are nice, lots of room, you can sleep in it with your bike and tools, or carry friends ... but with a V8 engine, the things usually get 10-12 miles per gallon.

Mini-vans or things like this Transit get 20 - 25 MPG, but you cain't haul nothin' in 'em.

With the price of gas the way it is, a 300 mile trip out and back, about average for a race weekend, would take $230 worth of gas in a full size van. Too much of that and pretty soon you're talking about real money .... shocked

Lannis

OK, I admit it, I'm addicted to brake fluid.

But I can stop any time I want.
#380413 - 06/23/11 4:35 am Re: Those New Little Square Ford Vans? [Re: leon bee]  
D.Bachtel Online content
BritBike Forum member
D.Bachtel  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

SLO County, CA
I bought an 1993 Aerostar Extended Cargo in 1994. 4.0 liter XLT up front, stripped in the back. Trailer package. 134,000 mi. and still rolling strong getting 20 mpg. Been a good vehicle. Front pads, alternator bearing, sparkplugs, tires and oil changes are about all it has needed. I can load one bike in the back or pull a trailer with it. I was hoping the Transit could be a replacement but then I looked at the specs. Too bad we don't get the diesel version in the States.

Don in Nipomo

#380425 - 06/23/11 6:19 am Re: Those New Little Square Ford Vans? [Re: leon bee]  
leon bee Offline
BritBike Forum member
leon bee  Offline
BritBike Forum member

arkansas
My road van is one of those Astros. It can haul one BSA real nice and have room for your stuff. And I can almost always get at least 21 mpg out of it. But I bought it new and repairwise it has been a real POS. I'm hoping something comes along which is just big enough and gets 35 mpg. Guess it may be a while.

#380583 - 06/24/11 8:12 am Re: Those New Little Square Ford Vans? [Re: leon bee]  
trickytree Offline
BritBike Forum member
trickytree  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Lincolnshire, England
Ive had 3 or 4 as works vans, picked up a Honda GB500 in one of the earlier ones which had a steel bulkhead fitted so had to have the back wheel hanging out of the rear door. Latest van is a "long" wheelbase with side loading door and I can just squeeze my 4" over hardtail A65 so a stock bike should fit in nicely.
Horrid van to drive though and not particularly good on fuel.

65 A65 bobber
A10 bitza...not (re)born yet
#380604 - 06/24/11 11:36 am Re: Those New Little Square Ford Vans? [Re: leon bee]  
Jim Hultman Offline
BritBike Forum member
Jim Hultman  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Minnesota, US
Plain ol' Chrysler minivan. I've had five of these over the years and picked up many bikes with them. Plenty of room for stuff and to move around.

My favorite "bike trip" was up to Canada to pick up a BMW R27. As we approached the border, it occurred to me ( I know good planning, huh?) that we didn't have a title and that customs might have a problem letting us import a bike with no title.

So my wife was in the back stripping the bike down to make it "parts", not a whole bike. Got to the check point and told the gal we had purchased "motorcycle parts" in Canada. She looked in the back at the pile of parts my wife had piled around the bike and waived us through.

Love those minivans, and the latest is actually pretty good on mileage. 25-30.

We also carry a "Trailer in a bag" with us for those few bikes that are too long for the van. Got it covered both ways! grin

#380695 - 06/24/11 8:42 pm Re: Those New Little Square Ford Vans? [Re: leon bee]  
t120mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
t120mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

hampshire, england
We all want a 4-wheeler that'll do everthing including carry bikes. That'll be the famous compromise do-everthing-mediocrely-and-nothing-well then! (Comes with high initial cost cos general public doesn't want one!)
Nearest I got was a Renault Espace which did all the kids school and university runs and move house twice. I could get my T120 in the back JUST!
When it died the kids had all left home and I couldn't justify a similar replacement for just the two of us.
I don't much like trailers either: the principal advantage of a van is that it keeps the goods clean and dry and relatively secure.

Also, I bet the there are insurance issues with a bike full of petrol in the back of a vehicle without a bulkhead!

Just a few thoughts.......

Last edited by t120mike; 06/24/11 8:43 pm. Reason: mis-spelling

mike
Member #: 147
1960 T120 Bonneville
1999 H*%^a VFR 800 FI
V4 Triton Project (still keeping me sane (Ha-Ha!))
#380713 - 06/24/11 10:15 pm Re: Those New Little Square Ford Vans? [Re: t120mike]  
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Hi Mike,

Originally Posted By: t120mike
the principal advantage of a van is that it keeps the goods clean and dry and relatively secure.

And which of those doesn't a trailer do? confused Or are you thinking of an open trailer?

Originally Posted By: t120mike
a 4-wheeler that'll do everthing including carry bikes. That'll be the famous compromise do-everthing-mediocrely-and-nothing-well then! (Comes with high initial cost cos general public doesn't want one!)

That's why I like car-'n'-trailer. Don't know what they're like in the US but I'm now on my third MB estate in eight years - first was a 14-year-old 2.5 E-class non-turbo diesel, high-30's mpg on a run, about 10mpg less with a box trailer; next was a 7-year-old 3.2 E-class turbo diesel, well over 40 mpg on a run without trailer; current is a 9-year-old 2.7 C-class turbo diesel, high-40's mpg on a run without trailer.

Hth.

Regards,

#380716 - 06/24/11 10:39 pm Re: Those New Little Square Ford Vans? [Re: leon bee]  
leon bee Offline
BritBike Forum member
leon bee  Offline
BritBike Forum member

arkansas
I think you cats over there get offered a lot of sensible vehicles we never see. They've always wanted us to buy behemoths......do you have many Ford Excursions over there? Or Hummers? Kind of a disgrace.

#380749 - 06/25/11 4:49 am Re: Those New Little Square Ford Vans? [Re: leon bee]  
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
DavidP  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Gnashville
It's also a market decision, Leon.
Station wagons (estate cars over there) are for Ward Cleaver, REAL men would never drive such a thing, they only drive SUVs or full-size pickups (and always dead square in my rear-view mirror.)

Fortunately, we can do as Stuart suggests and buy an MB Diesel. But, don't expect Detroit to offer anything as practical anytime soon.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
#380772 - 06/25/11 11:25 am Re: Those New Little Square Ford Vans? [Re: DavidP]  
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Hi David,

Originally Posted By: DavidP
MB Diesel. But, don't expect Detroit to offer anything as practical anytime soon.

Here in GB, we have the Chrysler 300 CRD saloon (sedan) and estate (station wagon). This is a fruit of the late-1990's Chrysler/Daimler-Benz tie-up and, although the body is Detroit, all the running gear, including 3-litre diesel engine and auto 'box, is MB.

Hth.

Regards,

#380883 - 06/26/11 2:41 am Re: Those New Little Square Ford Vans? [Re: leon bee]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Charleston SC
How to live with mobility while carrying a motorcycle. Or two.

Toilet, shower, AC. furnace, oven, stove, water heater, sink, television with DVD... y'all can keep them micro-vans!

When singing "Kung Fu Fighting" is outlawed, only outlaws will sing "Kung Fu Fighting"
#381557 - 06/29/11 6:08 pm Re: Those New Little Square Ford Vans? [Re: leon bee]  
leon bee Offline
BritBike Forum member
leon bee  Offline
BritBike Forum member

arkansas
Ob1: your pic is kinda like what I always hoped for for my retirement. I even had a 65 GMC city bus in my yard for a while. Then fuel prices spiked and the market crashed........downsizing my retirement hopes for sure.

#381567 - 06/29/11 7:28 pm Re: Those New Little Square Ford Vans? [Re: leon bee]  
Alex Offline
BritBike Forum member
Alex  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Seattle
I have a 2001 VW Beetle Turbo Diesel. 130K miles. Tows a 5X8 open trailer with two bikes and gear at 80 mph all day long and gets 37 mpg. Yes, the bikes are exposed to the elements, but so what? I don't do konkers...

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.
#381588 - 06/29/11 9:30 pm Re: Those New Little Square Ford Vans? [Re: leon bee]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Charleston SC
Ob1: your pic is kinda like what I always hoped for for my retirement. I even had a 65 GMC city bus in my yard for a while. Then fuel prices spiked and the market crashed........downsizing my retirement hopes for sure.

What I love about that rig is the high ground clearance so I can go just about anywhere, small size, and that it has almost everything the Big Boys have. The only thing missing is the battery bank to power the 3KW inverter I have waiting to be installed. For now, shore power or the 3.5KW generator will have to do. Sleeps 2, but has maxed out at 4. Heat and air, hot and cold water, toilet and shower, frig and stove/oven, 19 HDTV/DVD player.

Wisht I had a picture of it all rigged out with the old school blue and white striped awning!

But what I really want to finish it off is a 4BT Cummins, a suitable automatic tranny with OD, and to get off my dead behind and put a paint job on it!

Last edited by Ob1quixote; 06/29/11 9:30 pm.

#381992 - 07/02/11 6:30 am Re: Those New Little Square Ford Vans? [Re: Stuart]  
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
DavidP  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Gnashville
Originally Posted By: Stuart
Hi David,

Originally Posted By: DavidP
MB Diesel. But, don't expect Detroit to offer anything as practical anytime soon.

Here in GB, we have the Chrysler 300 CRD saloon (sedan) and estate (station wagon). This is a fruit of the late-1990's Chrysler/Daimler-Benz tie-up and, although the body is Detroit, all the running gear, including 3-litre diesel engine and auto 'box, is MB.

As I said, those models might be available on special order here, diesels aren't really popular here.
As you said, the power train is all MB. It's not as if Chrysler would offer a diesel all by itself.
I'm still wondering who actually makes those Sprinter vans, Dodge?, MB?, Freightliner?
I see them with any of three badges. Which company actually builds the things?
Ain't "globalisation" wonderful?!!?

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.276s Queries: 16 (0.073s) Memory: 1.0011 MB (Peak: 1.3587 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-22 11:21:42 UTC