one year or for life*

BritBike Forum

Sponsors campaign ads..
BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor
Shout Box

BritBike.com Decals & Stickers (Free shipping)
BritBike.com decals & stickers
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Who's Online
100 registered (Dave Comeau, Lannis, Allan Gill, keith bradley, Tom Sanders, BeezaBryan, Bob Mitch, Peter Quick, Ob1quixote, Alex, Denis J, Ger, Morgan, kevin large, John Healy, Ian aka Frank, RPM, L.A.B., paul67, Bronson, Hillbilly bike, Alan_nc, MikeG, oldcrow, Lekkie, quinten, Gordon Gray, Dennis B, DBDBrian, 68 royalstar tony, mangokpje, Randy Pigford, JER.Hill, mr.moto, pikebait, tonupjonnie, Al Eckstadt, PatrickMcG, Tony Schofield, run990, AngloBike, htown, brettsyoung, cragrat73, Dave T, Boomer, Kerry W, triton thrasher, wadeschields, RJG, marinatlas, Gordo in Comox, kommando, Kent Shaun, roadrocket, kelvin, KennethC., old mule, tiumphdave, 1958superrocket, Elijah, Vulture, Rickman, enzo 4N, johnhannah, fried okra, kurt fischer, robcurrie, Bry, MrBSA, mblab, jamie weeks, AG Bill, ricochetrider, FoxDK, enekoizagirre, Bigtwin, rocketgoldie, larrymondelo, shel, Bret Edwards, Interceptor Bob, jimt100, C.B.S, Ron - in California, GrayC15, DMadigan, LarryLebel, zoe, bsawood, David Cass1, Jim Brown, Ed Vanaman, DPO, Blown Income, John Goodwin, mike07, Gary E, mac, John_H), 595 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
enekoizagirre, mangokpje, Longshot, PeteF, Keith Pez
7863 Registered Users
Forum Stats
7863 Members
33 Forums
52264 Topics
484769 Posts

Max Online: 1804 @ 03/01/11 6:54 pm
Top Posters
RF Whatley 10018
John Healy 8521
Lannis 8224
Alex 7340
ricochetrider 7179
JubeePrince 6050
Stuart 5910
kommando 5546
Jon W. Whitley 4757
Kent Shaun 4663
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#378344 - 06/11/11 5:48 pm JRC PWK30 Carburettor on a BSA A65
MarkusHorst Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Germany
Hi,
i bought a special PWK30 Carburetor for my BSA A65. But the engine will not run with this Carburetor, not even start, not even one "puff", kicking 10 minutes. The engine runs with an AMAL Concentric or an Monobloc, but not with this PWK30-Carburetor.

What is wrong with it ?

Please help me !

Thanx

Markus

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Upgrade your BritBike Forum membership for one year or for Life*
#378349 - 06/11/11 6:33 pm Re: JRC PWK30 Carburettor on a BSA A65 [Re: MarkusHorst]
Don M. Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: California
With any plunger type enrichment device, as the PWK, set the lever down & keep the throttle firmly closed or it won't work. If it doesn't start after a few kicks, set plunger off & kick with full throttle a couple of times to clear excess fuel. With the old carbs we get in the habit of opening the throttle some for starting, which defeats the plunger type. Cheers, Don.

#378804 - 06/14/11 10:08 am Re: JRC PWK30 Carburettor on a BSA A65 [Re: MarkusHorst]
Ger Online   content
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Netherlands, Rotterdam area.
I remember when I installed my PWK, there was dirt (aluminium particles from machining) in the needle valve which closes fuel when the float goes up. This caused my PWK to leak fuel to the outside. Maybe the same kind of dirt causes Markus PWK to be dry.

It's a trail and error twist and push movement to remove and replace the float bowl. Do not use force or you'll damage the brass overflow pipe that sticks between the two halves of the floater.

My BSA went out of service before I could determine the correct jetting. That will be a job for later this year.

I'm very curious what other PWK-users use.

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Grotefoto-T4S7BCBJ.jpg
http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Grotefoto-Q4QIECV7.jpg

#379072 - 06/15/11 4:28 pm Re: JRC PWK30 Carburettor on a BSA A65 [Re: MarkusHorst]
Doc_dup1 Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Santa Barbara
I have a set of the JRC carbs on an A65 and I love them. I had JRC set up the jets before they sent them out and they started on the first kick and I have had no problems. It does seem that you have a blockage, I assume that you have a single carb, and I can only add that you need to be careful when removing the float bowl. It requires a little manipulation if you don't have the option of turning it upside down. Once you get the thing working, you will love it.

Doc

Mostly Triumphs with a few BSA's and a Norton.

#379087 - 06/15/11 5:35 pm Re: JRC PWK30 Carburettor on a BSA A65 [Re: MarkusHorst]
rstar45 Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Colorado
Yep be careful of the overflow tube in the float bowl. If still on the bike, I found it really helps to use a pick or pocket knife to hold the floats up while you gently move the bowl around. When you hit the right spot it will simply fall off.

#379105 - 06/15/11 6:39 pm Re: JRC PWK30 Carburettor on a BSA A65 [Re: MarkusHorst]
Lannis Online   content
Life member

Loc: RIP Russell Johnson
This thread is turning into one of the best advertisements for AMAL Concentric Carburettors that I've seen. Makes me appreciate mine!

Lannis

"Plan? There ain't no plan!"

#379112 - 06/15/11 6:54 pm Re: JRC PWK30 Carburettor on a BSA A65 [Re: Lannis]
jholmes Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Brooklyn, NY, USA
^^^ bigt beerchug

#379114 - 06/15/11 7:10 pm Re: JRC PWK30 Carburettor on a BSA A65 [Re: MarkusHorst]
hh Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: British Columbia
As we all know, Amals never suffer from clogging, or bad machining, or wear, or leaky float valves, or improper jet sizing, or ...

#379903 - 06/20/11 5:18 pm Re: JRC PWK30 Carburettor on a BSA A65 [Re: ]
MarkusHorst Offline
BritBike Forum member

Hi,
theres no difference between the enrichener is pulled up or not. The floating chamber is filled with fuel without overflowing. I controlled the Main Jet and the pilot jet.
The carburettor is new, no dirt inside, i was decomposing it.

But the engine is running with an AMAL 389carburettor or a AMAL 928carburettor which a friend brought to me.

Why not with the PWK ?

Thanx

Markus

#379905 - 06/20/11 5:30 pm Re: JRC PWK30 Carburettor on a BSA A65 [Re: MarkusHorst]
Ger Online   content
BritBike Forum member

Das kann doch nicht wahr sein?

Where in Germany are you, Markus?
A friend of mine in Den Haag, owner of a motorcycle workshop, built several PWK's on several Nortons and Meriden Triumphs. He has several spares on stock also.
If it's not to far from you, you might come over with the PWK in your pocket and let him have a look at it.

What is the size of the main jet as you have it now?

When I received mine the main jet was #140. pilot #38, needle 3rd groove of five (middle).
I ran the bike with several jets, richer and leaner, but it allways ran and started first kick.

Since my bike still has to have some things fixed we might swap (tauschen). You send yours over to my mate in Den Haag, we can send my carb to you with the jetting as you have it now, if you agree to pay the mailman.

Let me know what you want.

#379967 - 06/20/11 9:38 pm Re: JRC PWK30 Carburettor on a BSA A65 [Re: MarkusHorst]
Phil in Germany Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Duesseldorf/Germany
Dear Markus,

I think I know you and the wonderful carb trouble... eek
If I was in your shoes I'd send the carbie to Ger and ask him to hand it to his mate in order to check the thingie.

Keep my 928 until you have a working PWK or get your Monobloc going/sleeved.

I can surely subscribe to Lannis' point of view. The Concentrics are by far better as their reputation. At least the A 65 starts with it....

Take care and good luck in finding a fix

Best regards

Ph.
'69 A 65 Lightning
'62 A 65 Star (disassembled)
'84 Yamaha SR 500

#380249 - 06/22/11 9:05 am Re: JRC PWK30 Carburettor on a BSA A65 [Re: Ger]
MarkusHorst Offline
BritBike Forum member

Originally Posted By: Ger
Das kann doch nicht wahr sein?

Where in Germany are you, Markus?
A friend of mine in Den Haag, owner of a motorcycle workshop, built several PWK's on several Nortons and Meriden Triumphs. He has several spares on stock also.
If it's not to far from you, you might come over with the PWK in your pocket and let him have a look at it.

What is the size of the main jet as you have it now?

When I received mine the main jet was #140. pilot #38, needle 3rd groove of five (middle).
I ran the bike with several jets, richer and leaner, but it allways ran and started first kick.

Since my bike still has to have some things fixed we might swap (tauschen). You send yours over to my mate in Den Haag, we can send my carb to you with the jetting as you have it now, if you agree to pay the mailman.

Let me know what you want.

Hi Ger, leider ist es wahr !
i live near Frankfurt/M., its to far to Den Haag (ca. 600km).
Thank you very, very much for the possibility of swapping the PWK, shall i send it to you or to your mate ? Of course i will pay all the neccessary fees, mailman, etc.
So lets exchange our adress for snailmail via PM, or not?

Thanx for your help !!!!

Greetings

Markus

Edited by MarkusHorst (06/22/11 9:05 am)

#380250 - 06/22/11 9:54 am Re: JRC PWK30 Carburettor on a BSA A65 [Re: MarkusHorst]
Ger Online   content
BritBike Forum member

Frankfurt is indeed a bit far, Markus.

Let me consult my mate. My bike and the PWK are in his workshop in Den Haag. I live 25 km away so it's easier he receives your carburettor and sends mine directly.

I'll PM the adresses after I talked to him.

#380756 - 06/25/11 8:59 am Re: JRC PWK30 Carburettor on a BSA A65 [Re: MarkusHorst]
Ger Online   content
BritBike Forum member

Markus you have a PM.

Moderator:  Mike Carter 

Untitled Document

Home, Sponsors
Newsletter, Regalia
Calendar, Bike Project
BritBike Museum