BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Doug Barisone
Doug Barisone
california, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
211 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,665 guests, and 560 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
revans, Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery
9959 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 191
koan58 99
Stuart 84
NickL 72
Popular Topics(Views)
438,413 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,287
Posts632,399
Members9,959
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#369917 - 04/24/11 11:50 pm Pre-unit tach drive question  
Jim Hultman Offline
BritBike Forum member
Jim Hultman  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Minnesota, US
I've done a lot of searching on this, and even found a really old post by Mr. Whitley:
Originally Posted By: Jon W. Whitley
On page 14 of Replacement Parts Catalogue No.16, you will will find the part number of the tach drive timing cover, it's components and applications TR6 and T120. This is located in the Carton Pack List section of the book.
beerchug

My question is about the connection between the tach drive and the tach cable. I ordered a cable, but it came with the usual square ended cable. It appears that the tach drive is for a spade end. I've seen this setup before, but am not familiar with the Triumph version.

John was right that the parts list is on page 14 of the parts catalog. (By the way, thanks for that John. I searched and searched for that listing and couldn't find it! confused ) However, there doesn't seem to be a part that would connect the square cable end to the spade fitting on the drive.

I think my instruments are original.

Anyone know what I'm missing here?

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#369922 - 04/25/11 12:17 am Re: Pre-unit tach drive question [Re: Jim Hultman]  
Jon W. Whitley Online content
Jon W. Whitley  Online Content

Vermont
Jim,

Glad to be of service wink

I'll be able to check my cable on Tuesday evening...if you don't get an answer by then, I'll see what I can do.

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1970 BSA A65F 650 - Project

#369943 - 04/25/11 2:19 am Re: Pre-unit tach drive question [Re: Jim Hultman]  
RF Whatley Offline
BritBike Forum member
RF Whatley  Offline
BritBike Forum member

North Georgia, USA
I believe that's the same part as used on all unit construction bikes with tach. It's probably changed part number 10 times since the pre-unit days, but the unit part might be the only one stocked now.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
Cornelia, GA

"Shop Boy" at Rodi British Bikes
#370098 - 04/25/11 10:35 pm Re: Pre-unit tach drive question [Re: RF Whatley]  
Jim Hultman Offline
BritBike Forum member
Jim Hultman  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Minnesota, US
Originally Posted By: RF Whatley
I believe that's the same part as used on all unit construction bikes with tach. It's probably changed part number 10 times since the pre-unit days, but the unit part might be the only one stocked now.

Hadn't thought of that. Too simple! grin

So I took a unit spade drive and tried to fit it to the pre-unit:

It fits in the drive OK.

But either I have the wrong cable or I need a different spade drive. Not sure if any spade would work with this. Too much cable extruding from the sheath when then top of the cable is connected to the tach. I'm starting to think it's a wrong cable.

#370178 - 04/26/11 10:12 am Re: Pre-unit tach drive question [Re: Jim Hultman]  
Dick Harris Online content
BritBike Forum member
Dick Harris  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

East Bethany New York
I just looked at one of mine and the metal part of the lower cable is about 1 1/2 inches long, above the nut.It appears the one you have is much shorter? That would give room for the spade shown in the picture. Dick

#370844 - 04/30/11 1:29 am Re: Pre-unit tach drive question [Re: Dick Harris]  
Jim Hultman Offline
BritBike Forum member
Jim Hultman  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Minnesota, US
Originally Posted By: Dick Harris
I just looked at one of mine and the metal part of the lower cable is about 1 1/2 inches long, above the nut.It appears the one you have is much shorter? That would give room for the spade shown in the picture. Dick

Like this?

It takes the longer end to accept the spade drive. I dug around in the old cable box and came up with these. The new cable I ordered is evidently the wrong one.

I'm still confused. If you mount the cable sheath with the longer end over the spade drive, the little clip on the end of the spade would be trapped when you tighten the cable down. I think it might work without the clip, but it doesn't look right to me.

Does anyone know what differences there are between the unit tach cables and the pre-unit?

#370960 - 05/01/11 1:51 am Re: Pre-unit tach drive question [Re: Jim Hultman]  
Jon W. Whitley Online content
Jon W. Whitley  Online Content

Vermont
Jim,

Here is my tach drive cable. It works great. I would think you need the clip.

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1970 BSA A65F 650 - Project

#371058 - 05/01/11 7:17 pm Re: Pre-unit tach drive question [Re: Jim Hultman]  
Jim Hultman Offline
BritBike Forum member
Jim Hultman  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Minnesota, US
Thanks Jon!

I've been poking around a bit on this question, and it seems that the unit Triumphs use the same setup. In fact, pretty much all the external tach drives I looked at, including the Enfield twin and the older Nortons, use the same style cable, with the extended end allowing for the spade drive. Also, the BSA and Triumph triples seem to use the long cable end. Didn't take them apart, but that must mean they use a spade drive.

The only bikes I looked at without the extended end, which obviously then use a direct square drive, were the BSA units and later Norton Commandos.

I'd never thought about this before. Now I'm wondering what cable I was sent, and it makes me wonder if there is a Triumph that uses the square drive instead of the spade drive. Curious.

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.285s Queries: 15 (0.034s) Memory: 0.8458 MB (Peak: 1.0281 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-23 01:46:06 UTC