BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
MusketVtwin
MusketVtwin
columbus ohio
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
208 registered members (Adam M.), 1,831 guests, and 544 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 188
koan58 100
Stuart 88
NickL 65
Popular Topics(Views)
436,968 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,270
Posts632,132
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#367494 - 04/10/11 4:58 am T140 Rear Spoke Question  
Johnnie White Offline
BritBike Forum member
Johnnie White  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NC
I've come across a set of spokes for the rear wheel on a T140 that only have two sizes (parts book calls for three?). The seller claims these will work because of a change to the angle of the bend. I never heard of this and didn't see any information when I searched. Anybody know enough to confirm or refute this info? Thanks!

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#367507 - 04/10/11 9:28 am Re: T140 Rear Spoke Question [Re: Johnnie White]  
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Hi Johnnie,

On your side of The Pond is a company called Buchanan; if you search the Boards, you'll find innumerable recommendations for them. Are the spokes you've come across much cheaper and/or better quality; if not, are they worth worrying about?

Hth.

Regards,

#367523 - 04/10/11 12:08 pm Re: T140 Rear Spoke Question [Re: Johnnie White]  
T140V-Rich Offline
BritBike Forum member
T140V-Rich  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Sunny South Carolina, (US)
Johnnie, unless I'm guessing wrong, I think we're talking about two different models of the T-140. The 1973 will have three different sizes due to the rear drum brake hub having a "tall" side and a "short" side.

However, on the rear disc models, such as my 1977, there will be only two different lengths/angles of spokes. These are simply "inside" and "outside" spokes.

And as Stuart mentions, Buchanan has stainless that are far superior to stock spokes.

However, I would mention that we had a lengthy exchange with them 10 years ago when they shipped the wrong spokes for the 73's rear. In spite of delivery confirmation records that indicated the spokes were sent back and signed for, the company attempted to claim they had not received them.

My view: their spokes are outstanding. I'm still leary of their service at this late date. It was the attitude that their company is never wrong.

But all of that is a sidenote to your original question. You're probably looking at two different rear wheels. What year is yours?

Richard

Last edited by T140V-Rich; 04/10/11 12:09 pm.

1977 T-140V
1973 T-140V
2011 Bonneville SE
Author of "Relics and Reminiscing."
#367536 - 04/10/11 1:20 pm Re: T140 Rear Spoke Question [Re: T140V-Rich]  
Johnnie White Offline
BritBike Forum member
Johnnie White  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NC
Thank you gentlemen! I should have been more specific in my query but you both managed to come through with some good info.

Stuart - you are correct. Buchanan’s is certainly the bee's knees in wheels and spokes. But the set in question is used and therefore 1/3 the cost of new. I’m in need of an economical solution for now. I have a broken spoke and the rest are quite mangy as well. The U.S. equivalent of an MOT inspection is imminent. The bike only needs to sneak past an inspector without bruising my wallet!

Richard – I have a ’79 T140 (should have said so in my original post). What you mention makes perfect sense, especially after looking at my older rear drum bike and comparing it to the newer disk brake hub. The seller of these spokes claims:

“These are aftermarket replacements and only 2 types of spokes are included (as opposed to the 3 different spokes specified in the Triumph parts book for this wheel). As I understand it, the angle of these spokes is different from the OEM spokes, which allows you to get away with using only 2 different spokes instead of 3.”

I think the seller had the same problem I did – a parts book for the earlier drum brake model which led him (and me) to believe the bike wheel requires three sized spokes.

#367541 - 04/10/11 2:24 pm Re: T140 Rear Spoke Question [Re: Johnnie White]  
OriginalScott Online content
BritBike Forum member
OriginalScott  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

NY
The 1979 parts book lists 3 part numbers for spokes:
37-7031 qty 20
37-7032 qty 10
37-7033 qty 10
The nipples are all the same for the rear 37-7034

Click here to view the 1979 parts book http://www.buffaloschools.org/webpages/srook/files/1979PartsCatalog.pdf

British Only sells a kit (their part number 01-37-7031/2/3/4) with all 40 correct spokes and nipples for $37.97 if you buy it online.

I bought spokes from Buchanan's for my 79 about 12 years ago and they sent me the wrong rear spokes as well. A local shop ordered them for me so I don't know how hard they were to send back but I got a replacement about a week later. The spokes still look like new.
Scott

Last edited by OriginalScott; 04/10/11 2:27 pm.
#367544 - 04/10/11 2:43 pm Re: T140 Rear Spoke Question [Re: Johnnie White]  
JubeePrince Online content
Life member
JubeePrince  Online Content

Life member

Back on the mainland!
I would expect that the reason for three different spokes (with three different angles/lengths) is to allow for the offset of the rear rim...(disc brake wheels)

20 spokes for the inner run (left/right) then 10 spokes of one length/angle for the left side (outer) and 10 spokes of another length/angle for the right side (outer)....

Steve

Last edited by JubeePrince; 04/10/11 2:43 pm. Reason: added (outer)

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
#367547 - 04/10/11 3:10 pm Re: T140 Rear Spoke Question [Re: Johnnie White]  
T140V-Rich Offline
BritBike Forum member
T140V-Rich  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Sunny South Carolina, (US)
That sounds right Steve. It's been a while since I laced my back wheel. Inner and outer spokes, this size here, that one...no there... Brings back lots of anxiety. laughing

Johnnie, I'm hesitant to offer an opinion on the spokes. However, out of concern for your safety a number of factors are involved: are they the spokes you need? If you're replacing a few, that would be the time to replace all since you've got it down to that point. If a few are replaced, will they be safe? Are the others deteriorating as well?

But I understand a budget too! Heck, I rode for a while on original Dunlop K-70s with dry rot from "you-know-where." So I'm a fine one to talk.

Just think about those things and good riding!

Richard

p.s. Just in case you re-lace the entire wheel at some point -- take many pictures before unlacing. I have an extra T140 wheel I bought just to have the spoke pattern to guide me. Lesson learned.

1977 T-140V
1973 T-140V
2011 Bonneville SE
Author of "Relics and Reminiscing."
#367678 - 04/11/11 4:54 pm Re: T140 Rear Spoke Question [Re: Johnnie White]  
Jersey Kev Offline
BritBike Forum member
Jersey Kev  Offline
BritBike Forum member

new jersey, usa
Johnnie, My best advice to you is spend the extra $ order a new set from Buchannans, you'll get it done right the first time. I've tried to cheap out too many times, and finally figured out that doing it right is well worth it. With the new set you'll get everything you need, new nipples, & the right lube. When I re-laced the rear wheel of my '76 T140, I supported the wheel and hub with a cardboard box within a box, loosened spokes a little at a time, and started replacing one spoke at a time. carefully making sure what was taken out, was exactly the same as what was going in. When all were installed, tightened a little at a time going round & round. A word of caution follows next...It was only after I was done & started re-installing on the bike I came to realize that a previous owner (assuming) had relaced it wrong in the first place! (the rear wheel was offset too much, requireing the rear caliper to need shimming. it also just didn't look right, and the chain was too close to the tire) So, after the practice session, it got done right, no shims on the caliper now, better clearence from chain, and looks a bit better from the rear. Moral of the story...you don't want to have to do this more than once! Go for new, you'll be happier in the long run.
That's all I got to say 'bout that.
Cheers! J Kev

Jersey Kev

67 TR6P Saint
76 T140V Bonneville
95 Daytona 900
(removed non-brit from list)
#367705 - 04/11/11 6:41 pm Re: T140 Rear Spoke Question [Re: Johnnie White]  
Tridentman Online content
BritBike Forum member
Tridentman  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

New Jersey USA
BTW a wheel balancing stand from Harbor Freight makes a good lacing stand. I screwed mine to a piece of 4" X 4" wood and mounted it in the vice . The vice then provided the base for magnetic stands to hold dial indicators to measure run out and concentricity.Worked well on my 1974 T120RV wheels.
HTH

#367957 - 04/13/11 3:33 am Re: T140 Rear Spoke Question [Re: Johnnie White]  
Roadwarrior Offline
Private Sponsor
Roadwarrior  Offline

Private Sponsor

El Dorado, California
I'd save up the money and get the correct spokes from Buchannans. Lacing the wheel is the easy part. Just wait until you true it. If you can't true it yourself, it's gonna cost you a couple hundred to get it done. Takes a lot of time and good temperment.

Bob

73 Triumph T140 Main Ride
70 Bonnie
67 BSA West Coast Hornet

56 Chevy

Who are the brain police?

#369079 - 04/20/11 12:57 am Re: T140 Rear Spoke Question [Re: Roadwarrior]  
Johnnie White Offline
BritBike Forum member
Johnnie White  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NC
Well, I sucked it up and ordered a set from Buchanans. I'll be eating bologna and hot dogs instead of steak for a month, but now when I ride to a local bike night I can say with a certain swager:
"those are Stainless spokes from Buchanans" grin
Thanks again for the replies fellas!

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.303s Queries: 15 (0.006s) Memory: 0.8744 MB (Peak: 1.0845 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-21 04:38:52 UTC