BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Jwood & co JRC Engineering dealers Jwood & co
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
kellyt
kellyt
Newquay UK
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
40 registered members (Bart223), 234 guests, and 417 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
FireGuyKC, spuggy, Vinny Cotroneo, KeithM, Mridul Handa
10285 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 97
Lannis 62
Popular Topics(Views)
634,097 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,352
Posts653,918
Members10,285
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
T120 Hardtail Sprocket alignment #366481
04/03/11 8:47 pm
04/03/11 8:47 pm
Canada
D
dracko Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
dracko  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
D
Canada
I am having a tough time getting my sprockets to roll nice and quiet. Been trying different alignments and checking with a stringline for a couple days...still can't get them to roll smooth and quiet and hoping someone can offer some insight.

I recorded this video with the sprockets lined up best I can. The rear one is silent but i'm still getting some clatter from the front 20T drive sprocket. Not sure why though, chain is new and tracking straight, sprocket is brand new and exact same width as rear sprocket. Definitely clacking louder than my old cb550 chain was. Just click on vid to view.

Any advice or recommendations are appreciated.

Also, I have a spacer on each side of the engine between the frame rails where the long engine mount stud goes through. Is that the correct assembly? It is a nice snug fit, but I don't have a stock bike to compare to. Here is a picture, the arrows point to the spacers i'm talking about.

Maybe its not the rear sprocket that needs to be adjusted, but the entire engine?

Thanks in advance.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: T120 Hardtail Sprocket alignment [Re: dracko] #366550
04/04/11 10:30 am
04/04/11 10:30 am
Asheville, NC
Mike Baker Online content
BritBike Forum member
Mike Baker  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Asheville, NC
I'm working on a hardtail now, too. Will soon be looking at chain alignment...
Your spacers look correct. About all thats left is moving the rear wheel.

Mike

Last edited by mblab; 04/04/11 10:32 am.
Re: T120 Hardtail Sprocket alignment [Re: dracko] #366554
04/04/11 11:57 am
04/04/11 11:57 am
Austin, KY, USA
SteveM Offline
BritBike Forum member
SteveM  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Austin, KY, USA
Can't tell from the video, but it sounds as though the chain is rubbing on something, such as the gearbox casting. Are you certain that the chain is clearing all housings around the front sprocket? Is this an oversize chain?

Re: T120 Hardtail Sprocket alignment [Re: dracko] #366579
04/04/11 2:19 pm
04/04/11 2:19 pm
Canada
D
dracko Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
dracko  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
D
Canada
Quote:
I'm working on a hardtail now, too. Will soon be looking at chain alignment...
Your spacers look correct. About all thats left is moving the rear wheel.

Okay thanks for the info. I figured this would be a pretty simple process, but to have the sprockets aligned, the rear wheel needs to be quite a ways over to the left...only 1/8" spacer between brake plate and frame plate. and even then, still getting clatter from the front sprocket.

Quote:
Can't tell from the video, but it sounds as though the chain is rubbing on something, such as the gearbox casting. Are you certain that the chain is clearing all housings around the front sprocket? Is this an oversize chain?

Thats what I was thinking, it really does sound like its rubbing or a tight fit onto the sprocket, but its a standard non 0-ring 530 chain.

Well did a little tweaking with the engine spacing and seems no matter how I adjust the rear wheel, I am still getting some clatter from the front sprocket. Could that just be normal sound? First triumph i've worked on.

Last edited by dracko; 04/04/11 4:18 pm.
Re: T120 Hardtail Sprocket alignment [Re: dracko] #366636
04/04/11 8:43 pm
04/04/11 8:43 pm
British Columbia
hh Offline
BritBike Forum member
hh  Offline
BritBike Forum member
British Columbia
The chain is definitely hitting something up front. To help determine whether it's side clearance and which side, you could reverse the master link and see if it stops the chain or gets worse on one side or the other. If you can't make that chain clear, Renold makes a thin one designed for Norton Commandos which is substantially narrower.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin
Re: T120 Hardtail Sprocket alignment [Re: dracko] #366655
04/04/11 10:20 pm
04/04/11 10:20 pm
Vermont
750 Tracker Offline
BritBike Forum member
750 Tracker  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Vermont
Not all 530 chains are the same width. When these bikes were new, the old Renold chains were pretty thin & weak. I've installed some top-quality chains only to find out that they were too wide.

Re: T120 Hardtail Sprocket alignment [Re: dracko] #366659
04/04/11 11:02 pm
04/04/11 11:02 pm
Canada
D
dracko Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
dracko  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
D
Canada
Thanks for the input fellas. I really wish it was as simple as the chain rubbing somewhere, but I crawled around underneath getting a good view from all angles and it isn't rubbing anywhere. I even used a yellow metal marker and painted up the outside of a link and it came out untouched. also stuck a small piece of tape on a link and it came rolling out untouched.

I'm starting to wonder if the rear sprocket isn't on the same vertical axis as the front sprocket, but I'm not sure how to figure that out...awfully tough to lay a level on the drive sprocket..

Re: T120 Hardtail Sprocket alignment [Re: dracko] #366779
04/05/11 5:33 pm
04/05/11 5:33 pm
Upstate NY
Snakeoil Offline
BritBike Forum member
Snakeoil  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Upstate NY
First, I know nothing about bolt on hardtails. But, this is an intersting problem. So, here's a thought that might help. Perhaps the axel mounting plates on the hardtail are not parallel when tightened against the wheel. This could twist the wheel axis in the vertical or horizontal or both directions depending on the amount they are off and which way they flex when you tighten them.

So, why not loosed up the axel so the wheel is free to move with the axel adjusters holding it in place. Then use those adjusters to see if you can make the noise stop. If your counter sprocket or rear wheel is twisted in the frame it will probably cause the chain to "catch" as it enters a tooth on the counter sprocket. So forget about wheel alignment from a riding point of view and just play with the wheel until you get the chain to run properly. If you can do that by using the adjusters, then it might tell you how to correct the problem or at least what the problem is.

regards,
Rob

Re: T120 Hardtail Sprocket alignment [Re: dracko] #366781
04/05/11 5:50 pm
04/05/11 5:50 pm
British Columbia
hh Offline
BritBike Forum member
hh  Offline
BritBike Forum member
British Columbia
Try eliminating the rear sprocket. Remove the rear wheel and run the chain back and forth by hand over the drive sprocket.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership