BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
The Bonneville Shop JRC Engineering dealers
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Thomas4
Thomas4
Thun, Berne, Switzerland
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
50 registered members (Alan_nc), 276 guests, and 352 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Davenz13, Sean65, Rerock, pkuzyk, Hunter S
10476 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 89
franko 71
Triless 67
Popular Topics(Views)
747,043 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,813
Posts670,277
Members10,476
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
B33 alternator model wiring help #364419
03/23/11 12:35 am
03/23/11 12:35 am
West Chester, pennsylvania. US...
Matt smith Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Matt smith  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member

I can't make heads or tails of the wiring diagram for this bike. Everything runs into a circle of numbers (1-19) which I'm assuming is the Lucas 3 way key. Some have lines connecting numbers to others, while some have nothing indicated. Forget that for now, I just want to jury rig the wiring to see if it'll start. The goofier looking bike turned out to be the better candidate after inspecting both carefully. I pulled the fenders off and swapped the ape hangers for a set of triumph bars while I wait for my BSA bars to arrive (yes I'm that vain that I want it to look cool while I work on it - it's more inspiring that way).

So I have three wires off the alternator. Two are for AC which go to the rectifier. The third is DC which is for the ignition, which looks like it goes directly to the coil. The same terminal on the coil has a wire going to the contact breaker (on the service sheet). There is a condenser on the contact breaker off the same terminal as the wire running to the coil though that isn't shown on the diagram. I don't know where the second terminal on the coil is supposed to go. The diagram shows it going into the mystery circle of 19 numbers. Is it supposed to go to ground? Any idea of how to hook up the 6v battery to assist with the spark? I know positive goes to ground but the negative disappears on the wiring diagram when it reaches the headlight and tail light. Somewhere it must connect to something in the ignition. Anyone an expert on these?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

the diagram I'm using is 15 pages down on this service sheet collection if you care to look.

http://www.britishonly.com/pdf/bsa/sectionY_BSAservicesheetno808.pdf

meandthismotorcycle.blogspot.com
smokeandthrottle.blogspot.com
Triumphs and BSA's, a few... I'm a hoarder.

“I don’t mind the Ten Commandments, I believe in the Ten Commandments. The first one, ‘I am the Lord thy God,’ is a great commandment—if it’s not said by the wrong people.”

—Bob Dylan, introducing the song “Masters of War” at New York City Town Hall, 12 April 1963.
Support your #1 BSA Forum and our favorite sponsors

Check out BSA on e-bay: BSA Parts in UK, BSA Motorcycles in UK, BSA Parts in North America, BSA Motorcycles in North America

Re: B33 alternator model wiring help [Re: ] #364435
03/23/11 2:03 am
03/23/11 2:03 am
Ohio
R
Rickman Offline
BritBike Forum member
Rickman  Offline
BritBike Forum member
R

Ohio
Matt,
While the anology is pretty wrong, think of the "circle of numbers", or key switch, as a house's fuse panel [ wrong because there are no fuses! ], or power distribution panel... Power in, distributed out. That's why the Negative power wire "Disappears" in the switch.

But consider that the key switch accomplishes everything all those various fuses or circuit breakers do individually, in just three positions!

That is why the numbers are SO important, for wire attachment.

If I remember correctly, if you have one of the rotary switches, like the one in my A10 I had in my hands at one time, and look carefully at the bakelite or plastic that the switch is made from, on the underside, where the connections are made, I think there are numbers moulded into the material...?
Brett

Last edited by Rickman; 03/23/11 2:05 am.
Re: B33 alternator model wiring help [Re: Matt smith] #364440
03/23/11 2:19 am
03/23/11 2:19 am
Matt smith Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Matt smith  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member

ok, I'm pretty sure the key switch that was sitting in the tool box with NO key is not the original one, but I'll have to take another look at it.

1968BSA: could you clarify: "you need a + connection on the battery connected to the engine. you should be able to get it running from that. breaking the - neg on the coil or battery will kill the engine."

positive connection from batter grounded to engine. Right? and where would the negative wire go to assist with the spark? And does the DC wire from the alternator go to the positive tab on the coil and then go to ground from th same positive terminal to the frame? Thats what it looks like on the wiring diagram

“I don’t mind the Ten Commandments, I believe in the Ten Commandments. The first one, ‘I am the Lord thy God,’ is a great commandment—if it’s not said by the wrong people.”

—Bob Dylan, introducing the song “Masters of War” at New York City Town Hall, 12 April 1963.
Re: B33 alternator model wiring help [Re: Matt smith] #364475
03/23/11 9:39 am
03/23/11 9:39 am
Matt smith Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Matt smith  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member

ok got it. I've tested the spark plug on another bike and it does spark, I haven't tested the coil, but I can do that today and I know the alternator is producing current. I'll keep everyone updated when I get a chance to play around with it after work. Expect more questions. I'll take more pictures and draw some diagrams so you can see what I've tried and critique my lack of knowledge in electrical theory,

matt

Re: B33 alternator model wiring help [Re: Matt smith] #364500
03/23/11 2:19 pm
03/23/11 2:19 pm
Seattle
Alex Offline

BritBike Forum member
Alex  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Seattle
Matt, if you want reliable charging, good lighting and running, I would suggest that you move toward one of the later potted alternators (the exposed coil ones tend to break down after time due to vibration), add an electronic regulator like a podtronics or tympanium...or even a Zener would be better than what you've got. You'll then have a 12V system you can get bulbs at auto zone and run any coil. Heck, you can even run electronic ignition, which may be your only choice if the AAU is clapped out. I have run into a similar issue on a G3 Matchless with the same goofy electrical/ignition system.

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.
Re: B33 alternator model wiring help [Re: Matt smith] #364540
03/23/11 11:15 pm
03/23/11 11:15 pm
Matt smith Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Matt smith  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member

alex, I'm thinking about it. Talk about goofy wiring nightmares, the 4 motorcycles in my shop right now that I'm playing around with are two b33 alternators and a Triumph 3ta and a T100a both with the distributor and similar alternators. BSA/TRIUMPH only did the power this way for a few years in the late 50's/early 60's as the Mags were phased out Basically all my bikes have shite power and the parts are hard to come by. But for some sadistic reason, I like trying to figure out the oddball stuff and make it work. I don't think I'll be riding the b33 too far from home but if all else fails I may go to 12v like you said.

matt

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership