BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
63SuperRocket
63SuperRocket
Portland, ME
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
220 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,763 guests, and 545 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews
9958 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 190
koan58 100
Stuart 86
NickL 72
Popular Topics(Views)
437,841 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,282
Posts632,304
Members9,958
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
#274320 - 09/12/09 10:45 am Re: 66 T120R Project ***** [Re: BobM]  
R Moulding Online content
BritBike Forum member
R Moulding  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ
Hi Bob.

Unfortunately nothing much has happened. Had to lay of it for a bit after the clutch center in my TR6 fell to bits.

I have started stripping the engine but at the moment im just gathering some more cash so i can sort out some special tools and find me a tank.

Thanks for the interest,normal service will be restored soon.

Rod

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#279569 - 10/18/09 4:51 am Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: R Moulding]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ
So i got back on the T120R this week.

First job has been to finish mounting the side panel. I took templates of the missing mounting brackets from the TR6 and cut them from 16 gauge steel. I then mounted up the oil tank,straps and battery box with new rubbers to make sure i had everything in the right place. Then it was just a case of eyeballing it and comparing it to the TR6 till it sat right. Then i welded the brackets on.

The TR6R tank on the bike is the one it came with. Im currently prepping it for paint to put on my mates bike. If anyone has a slimeline tank spare id still be interested.

I have also had the instruments back from being overhauled. they came up nice

And i made a start pulling the engine down. Waiting on the crank pinion extractor to carry on.

Aside from the 60 thou over bores being worn and pistons having picked up,the worst thing i have found so far is
lots of pitting on the gearset. I'll work out what to do with this later.

So not much but hopefully enough to keep you guys amused.

Rod

#279688 - 10/18/09 11:21 pm Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: R Moulding]  
GrandPaul Online content
BritBike Forum member
GrandPaul  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Laredo (South) Texas, USA
Keep up the good work!

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
#280128 - 10/21/09 5:05 pm Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: GrandPaul]  
thebevman Offline
BritBike Forum member
thebevman  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Yucca Valley, CA.
Looking good. I hope you marked the timing pinions before you took them off though. Is that a home market tank? It looks a bit fat in the back. Looking good though.

'66 Bitsa Bonnie

#280129 - 10/21/09 5:12 pm Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: thebevman]  
thebevman Offline
BritBike Forum member
thebevman  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Yucca Valley, CA.
Red, don't forget the replace the Exh tappet metering rod behind the OPRV to a dowel. RF told me about it in a its explained in more detail in a Triumph Service Bulletin dated August 24, 1967. I found it on the net but cant remember where though.

I pulled mine upon RF telling me about this and good thing too it was chuck full of grit and other shit.

'66 Bitsa Bonnie

#280228 - 10/22/09 6:34 am Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: thebevman]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ

Cheers Bevman. I did mark the pinions. I'll have a look for the service bulletin ref the metering rod.

The tank is an export one. Its a 3.5 gallon from a 70 TR6R (still had some of the green and black paint). The home market is bigger again.

Rod

#281845 - 10/31/09 8:11 pm Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: R Moulding]  
Swan Offline
BritBike Forum member
Swan  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Winona, MN
Redmoggy,
Very nice and keep up the good work and keep posting the progress and photos. I'll be following closely for I just picked up a 66 Bonneville project bike.

Swan

1966 Triton
1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star
1966 Triumph Bonneville
#285137 - 11/22/09 7:43 am Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: Swan]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ

So been pottering around in the garage. The crank pinion extractor turned up so i got the cases split and the crank out. Main bearings are shot but cam bushes and cams look to be good. I also got the sludge trap all cleaned up and measured the crank journals. She has the origional light weight crank and is still on standard and within spec. Nice bit of good news! Also the big end shells were stamped with a Triumph part number so i am thinking im the first in here. Have started blasting the cases and have new bearings waiting.

Also had some high build mixed so got the oil tank and side panel primed guide coated and flatted. Will sort some black later.

You can see she still has the one year only oil tank,and the repairs to the side cover i think have come up real nice.

Thats about it for now.

Rod

#286028 - 11/26/09 10:24 pm Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: R Moulding]  
kngkong Offline
BritBike Forum member
kngkong  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Wellington, NZ
Looking good Rod! She'll be running soon. I love the 66.

1951 5T Speedtwin
#334248 - 09/19/10 8:30 am Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: kngkong]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ

Not much going on. Got myself a re pop slim line tank to try out. Still rather an original but this will do for now.
Did manage to base coat the side cover and oil tank though. So dragged the frame up on the bench and mocked it all up to get the stickers placed before i clear coat them.....

#334323 - 09/19/10 6:19 pm Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: R Moulding]  
TR6Ray Online content
BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
Rod,

Great work, and good pics too -- making for enjoyable reading! I notice that your garage shop stays spotless in spite of all the blasting and painting going on. Just wondering how you are protecting everything from overspray and stray blast media (especially the TR6, the car, and your finished pieces), and also what sort of breathing protection do you use for yourself?

Also, I see you are getting a lot of blasting done with only a 2.5 hp, 50 litre compressor. Do you have to wait much for it to catch up, or is it working out O.K. for you?

Finally, are you using a dust collector on your blast cabinet, or do you take it outdoors to set it up and use it?

I really need to get my own cabinet, but have no place for a permanent setup. It would still be easier to have my own cabinet on a shelf than to drive forty miles to a friend's house each time I have something to clean. Every time I think I'm all done bead blasting, I need to do some more, and have to beg another favor.

Although I don't have a blast cabinet, I do have that other essential piece of shop equipment shown in your pics -- the comfortable chair where I can sit, drink, stare, and generally ponder and meditate. This would be impossible to do without.

Carry on!

Oops! I posted this without realizing I had only read to the bottom of the first page. Hope what I asked you still makes sense. I'll proceed to read to the bottom now. What a rookie I am!

Last edited by TR6Ray; 09/19/10 6:23 pm.

'64 TR6R Plus some Twins from other countries (U.S., Germany, Japan)
#334325 - 09/19/10 6:39 pm Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: R Moulding]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ

Hi Ray
Photos can be deceiving. The garage is not always that clean,especially since i started painting for other people!

The little compressor copes really well on the small stuff. The frame was done elsewhere. For painting it has been ideal. You really need to take the cabinet outside to blast.

Over spray is a pain,mostly i use dust sheets and push everything else outside. Best advise would be to by the best gun you can afford. A good gun gives less bounce back or go for HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) gun. Got a mask from the paint supplier.

There has been a delay with this since i broke the TR6. Its now in a corner covered in dust and over spray. Seeing your bike gave me a little inspiration to get back to working on them both!

Keep it up!

#334345 - 09/19/10 9:05 pm Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: R Moulding]  
TR6Ray Online content
BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
Rod,

Thanks for the advice. I might go ahead and get a cheap cabinet and just figure on using it outdoors when I need it. The wife won't freak out as bad if I get a smaller compressor.

I'm not in the same league with you and most others on here, because I have farmed the hard stuff out (welding, plating, powder, and paint) but I guess everybody has to start somewhere. Even just doing the grunt work I sometimes feel like I'm pushing a bolder up a mountain. I'm still having fun though, and that's where it's at. I enjoy reading these project threads where you guys are doing it all yourself.

Good luck with the TR6 and the T120.

#334387 - 09/20/10 6:28 am Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: R Moulding]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ

Its all about the fun Ray,that and the steep learning curve.

As a side note,when you blast aluminum you open up the pores of the metal. If the part is staying in bare finish its an ideal time to drench it in a penetrating oil and leave it to soak in. I've done this on lots of parts and it helps to prevent the metal oxidizing.

All the best

Rod

#352645 - 01/12/11 2:12 am Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: R Moulding]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ

Well im off work for a while after my little mishap so time to do some proper work!

While i wait for some bearings for the TR6 i thought i would play with the Bonnie tank. Firstly a couple things about this paint scheme. It is for a start my favourite and the reason i wanted a 66 T120R. I have also seen a lot that have been done kinda wrong. For a start Grenadier red is a solid colour not a candy or a metallic. Also unlike later schemes with a central 'racing' stripe,the stripe tapers in at the front and rear of the tank. This stops the flanking stripes from rolling round the front of the tank.

So you can see in the earlier pics i have a re pop tank,that got about 6 coats of high build 2K primer before being guide coated and block sanded. This ensured that all the stretch marks in the steel were smoothed out. I gave it four coats of Alaskan white base coat,let that dry over night and flatted it with 800 wet and dry.Then spent some time marking out the stripes.

I use 3M blue fine line tape,its expensive but leaves a nice crist line. You can clearly see the taper in the central stripe. I then masked her up. News paper is not ideal but works well enough if you are not using dies.

With it all masked i gave the exposed white paint a thorough clean with panel prep,blew her of with an air line and got some red laid down. Basically the idea is to start with a mist coat or grip coat,this is rough enough to allow subsequent coats to cling. I then add two more coats to build it up.

Couldn't resist resting it back on the frame! In a day or two i will key it in and clear coat it ready for the gold. Hopefully get the oil tank and side cover done as well.

Rod

#355766 - 01/31/11 4:24 am Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: R Moulding]  
Steve P Offline
BritBike Forum member
Steve P  Offline
BritBike Forum member

British Columbia, Canada
Great Job Redmoggy. I'm inspired, albeit lightyears behind in skill set.

#355818 - 01/31/11 2:43 pm Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: R Moulding]  
GrandPaul Online content
BritBike Forum member
GrandPaul  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Laredo (South) Texas, USA
Great to see your 3 month delay is over with.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
#357548 - 02/10/11 11:06 pm Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: GrandPaul]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ

Still waiting for the TR6 Barrels to come back so back to this tank for a bit this morning.

Now generally speaking white is very forgiving. However soon as you add a second colour and start thinking about a clear coat you have to be really careful. The finish on base coat is generally rough and you want at least an 800 grit sanded finish for the clear to cling. The problem comes when you sand the second colour,that coloured water clings to the surface tinting the white. This means lots of effort to ensure everything is spotless or its going to show up. You could also clear coat the white first,but this brings more problems as the clear is actually opaque and you risk turning the white yellow.

Anyhow, lots of cleaning and panel wipe later and i mixed some clear. Simple 2-1 with no thinner as the finish at this point is not important.

This is basically a sacrificial coat,in a day or two Iíll flat it with 800 wet and dry to smooth out the paint lines. That stops me having a sharp line through my pin stripe. And can then stripe it and clear it again.

#357574 - 02/11/11 2:01 am Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: R Moulding]  
TR6Ray Online content
BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
That is beautiful work. The lines look perfectly symmetrical to me. I can't imagine doing that, even with some kind of template.

#357601 - 02/11/11 6:01 am Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: R Moulding]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ

I had similar thoughts when i looked into it. I was trying to gauge how much the central stripe bowes out in the middle. Normally the stripe is the width of the rear mounting tag and straight up and down.. After a bit of research i found Rask cycles site. They have pictures and marking out advise for Bonnie paint schemes. Its not an exact science, and was a bit of a challenge, but not as hard as it looks.

I did spend some time in the chair with a beer or two staring though. I'm pretty happy how it looks at the moment.

#357649 - 02/11/11 3:30 pm Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: R Moulding]  
TR6Ray Online content
BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
So if it isn't as hard as it looks, how do you do it with only two hands? Did you have someone holding a scale for you while you were taping? Is it all by eyeball only? I see stuff like this, but still don't believe it. How many attempts with the tape before you were happy with it?

#357684 - 02/11/11 7:38 pm Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: R Moulding]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ

Nah not so bad. With this one, centre stripe is 2" wide at the mounting tab and at the front of the tank. So use the centre rib as a datum and mark an inch either side with a chino-graph pencil. About an inch below the filler it should widen out to 2 3/4", so another mark. At the seat nose we want 2 1/2" so same again. Fine line tape is nice and flexible so we can use it to make the curved line following the marks. Now eyeball and adjust until they look right.

The outer stripes are 3/8" away from the inner and 3/8" wide. So mark 3/8" either side of the central stripe, i put a mark every inch or so and run more tape. Same again and your done. Now just eyeball till your happy with it.

Took a couple attempts to get it right around the mounting tab and now the paints on, one side looks a little wrong. But there is some room for adjustment when i put the stripe down.

Now i did a Hinkley tank, the guy wanted a 78 T140 scheme. This has to scallops from the badge back to a point at the seat base. It then has an 8th" double pin stripe. That was a nightmare!!

#357731 - 02/12/11 12:52 am Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: R Moulding]  
J. Charles Smith Offline
BritBike Forum member
J. Charles Smith  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Westminster, MD, USA
How do you think Hinkley does it at the factory? Is it maybe done by machine, like by a computer-controlled pinstriper?

#357850 - 02/12/11 7:48 pm Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: R Moulding]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ

According to the sales literature Hinkley line there tank by hand.

#357923 - 02/13/11 2:55 am Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: R Moulding]  
TR6Ray Online content
BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
Rod, finish your tank like this guy at the Enfield Factory. Report back and let us know how it went.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9wUc8rpBhc&feature=player_embedded

Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Moderated by  Richrd 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.117s Queries: 16 (0.011s) Memory: 1.0107 MB (Peak: 1.3639 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-22 11:22:11 UTC