BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Jwood & co JRC Engineering dealers Jwood & co
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Wilmslow
Wilmslow
South West USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
37 registered members (bill50cal), 219 guests, and 96 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
FireGuyKC, spuggy, Vinny Cotroneo, KeithM, Mridul Handa
10285 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 97
Lannis 60
Popular Topics(Views)
633,639 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,349
Posts653,866
Members10,285
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
ambitious cafe project 650 TRIBSA #347673
12/12/10 12:58 pm
12/12/10 12:58 pm
West Chester, pennsylvania. US...
Matt smith Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Matt smith  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
I started collecting parts about a year ago for some sort of ground up build. I wasn't sure at the time of what I wanted, only that I wanted to use a triumph 650 pre unit engine in some frame other than a standard triumph frame (aka a special). Well after helping my neighbor rescue his 55 A10 from 40 years of deep storage, I started thinking about the beauty of the A10 frame. TriBSA cafe's are much less common than the Triton (which everybody seems to be building these days - many of which are not done very well).  I have a frame and swing arm, a stock oil tank if needed, a possible set of forks, though I'm thinking Norton Roadholders, a massive twin dual-lead front brake from a GT750 and a basket case pre unit 650 with trans with an extra set of cases, gear box case and the option of cast iron or alloy jugs. I need to figure out the rear tire, the gear ratio, carbs (thinking going balls-out twin AMAL GP's which will require a different cylinder head) Lucas competition mag and an assortment of engine mods and tuning to make it a road racer aka high compression pistons, race valves and springs race cams etc.... basically anything to make this run well at high speeds. This bike will NOT be a daily rider, but more of a street legal competition bike that eventually will see the track. I need to figure out the rear brake situation. I see a lot of people using conical brakes of OIF Triumphs or BSA's, and some using Norton Commando brakes. I know manx brakes and other super rare and expensive braking systems would be awesome, but short of a really great bargain find, I doubt I'll drop that kind of dough on the rear brake. Something later will be fine with me I have a rear wheel thats period correct for this frame but with the mother of all front brakes, the rear brake I have seems wimpy. As far as styling - I guess it'll all depend on what type of tank I can track down. I could go for a beefed up Goldie look, or more of a Manx style like the botton bike - though I'd probably use a manx seat at that point. The trim is the last thing on my mind right now. I want  performance!

Any advice?

meandthismotorcycle.blogspot.com
smokeandthrottle.blogspot.com
Triumphs and BSA's, a few... I'm a hoarder.

“I don’t mind the Ten Commandments, I believe in the Ten Commandments. The first one, ‘I am the Lord thy God,’ is a great commandment—if it’s not said by the wrong people.”

—Bob Dylan, introducing the song “Masters of War” at New York City Town Hall, 12 April 1963.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: ambitious cafe project 650 TRIBSA [Re: Matt smith] #347699
12/12/10 3:18 pm
12/12/10 3:18 pm
Ohio
R
Rickman Offline
BritBike Forum member
Rickman  Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
Ohio
Matt,
I agree the BSA braking from the rear brake [ AND the stock front brake ] leaves MUCH to be desired.

Since you aren't worried about anything near originality, why don't you opt for a rear brake wheel that actually does work?

Baring any concerns about whatever class rules you may be eventually aiming at, I see two options, and there may be more I am unaware of;

1) A disc brake rear wheel
2) A drum rear brake from any bike that WORKS

And the easiest, least costly source, for #2, will be from one of the big 4.
The problem with this I believe, is the diameter of the axle, metric vs. inch. You may have to make a sleeve of some sort, to make up the difference.... And you may have to make a different spacer anyway, to space the foreign rear wheel properly into the A-10 swing arm. Incorporate the sleeve into the new spacer? A one-piece item?

Another concideration, although a small one; is your swing arm the one used with the full width hub, or the one used with the Gold Star type QD hub?
If the QD type swing arm, you may find that getting another hub to work difficult.... Nowhere to fasten a braking plate stay arm... Except for hubs like the late conical one...

I'd almost bet, that for #1 above, the only "legal" disc brake, for class rules, might be a Rickman rear disc brake, IF allowed for the class, IF they were made in the year[s] of the class rules... I don't believe disc brakes were any more common to any other bike, in the vintage class rules....? If there were, they were a RARE item! As rare as a Rickman disc rear wheel is, and just as costly!

I have an A-10 special that I am slowly putting together, I looked specifically for the QD wheeled frame, as I have three of those drum/sprockets, and I'd think those wheel assemblies are lighter than the full width drums and sprockets, the QD wheel assembly certainly has a closer-to-center mass, anyway...

I can't help you with front end decisions, as I'm using an H-2 dual disc front end. I'm not limiting myself by or with future plans to race... I want to KNOW I can stop the bike.

A fellow OVBSAOC member, Chris, has already built, broke (?), rebuilt, and dismantled and rebuilt again, an A-10 Special. I'm a bit jealous, he found a set of swept back pipes I never could find a set of... But, his bike is GORGEOUS!

I doubt mine will look as good as his, I refuse to spend the level of cash I think he's spent... I did manage to obtain a set of MCM mid-level pipes I like the look of well enough...

He has been to our events in Toronto/Steubenville, Ohio, the last two years or more...Y'oughta come see us there. Your bike would be welcomed, I'm sure!
Nice riding around the area also. No flatland...
Brett

Last edited by Rickman; 12/12/10 3:20 pm.
Re: ambitious cafe project 650 TRIBSA [Re: Matt smith] #347745
12/12/10 6:15 pm
12/12/10 6:15 pm
Matt smith Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Matt smith  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
making spacers I can do as I have a metal lathe. I know my dad used a japanese front brake on his old Triton and I think he even used the matching front end which fit the hub without any mods, so thats one possibility. I need good front suspension regardless. The rear I'd like to try to keep British because (in my mind) it would be easier to set up and line up if I wasn't trying to also make the Jap wheel fit into a british swing arm - though I may be fitting an entirely different era brit wheel into said swing arm which might be just as tricky - I don't know yet as this is my first special. I have some guys in the area who are pretty experienced at building race bikes, so I'm sure I'll call on them when assembly begins. In the meantime, I just want to track down as many of the components as possible.

BenG - I agree I think the Goldie looking TriBSA is way cool looking. Any idea what that tank is from? Looks way bigger than a stock tank. I like the alloy tank look, so I'm willing to cough up the cash for the right one when it comes along. I don't want to use a fiberglass tank, though you're right when you say I can always get it going and swap things out as they come my way. I'll have to check the serial# on the frame to see what year it is. I'm not sure if its the old one sided brake hub or the larger hub. I'd like to shy away from discs (I know they're better, but I want it to look more period - and I'm aware that the giant suzuki gt750 front four shoe brake is not true to the early 60's but whatever).

I can also weld tabs for a brake stay if need be. I guess I'll just keep looking at other peoples specials to see what they've done. I ordered an old CB magazine from the early 90's featuring a TriBSA Cafe as the cover story so it'll be interesting to see what they did.

First thing I really need to do is start building the engine starting with a full cleaning of the cases and balancing the crank - unless anyone has any thoughts on engine mods for the crank of a 1958 6T or T110 that I should be aware of first (I have a set of each).

Matt

Last edited by Matt smith; 12/18/10 8:16 pm.

“I don’t mind the Ten Commandments, I believe in the Ten Commandments. The first one, ‘I am the Lord thy God,’ is a great commandment—if it’s not said by the wrong people.”

—Bob Dylan, introducing the song “Masters of War” at New York City Town Hall, 12 April 1963.
Re: ambitious cafe project 650 TRIBSA [Re: Matt smith] #347776
12/12/10 9:23 pm
12/12/10 9:23 pm
Winona, MN
Swan Offline

BritBike Forum member
Swan  Offline

BritBike Forum member
Winona, MN
Matt,

Let me know if you need any help, notes or images with the GT750 front drum and Roadholders. Same set up as my Triton. Have the drum turned on a lathe and bed the shoes correctly and you will have yourself a nice anchor up front. Stick with a rear drum, disc brakes just look wrong on vintage bikes.

The A10 frame quickly loses its charm when removing and replacing the swing arm spindle and/or silent blocs.

Manx seats are always cool.

1966 Triton
1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star
1966 Triumph Bonneville
Re: ambitious cafe project 650 TRIBSA [Re: Matt smith] #347798
12/12/10 11:47 pm
12/12/10 11:47 pm
New Hampshier USA
MikeG Offline

BritBike Forum member
MikeG  Offline

BritBike Forum member
New Hampshier USA
Matt-I have a 57 A10 frame I've been doing the same thing with. I used Rickmans option #1,a disc. I took a BMW R75 front hub and rotor and made a sprocket carrier from alloy, then fitted an alloy sprocket from Rebel Gears.The BMW hub could be fitted with twin discs so the sprocket carrier pilots onto the lip where the other disc would go, and the same bolts that hold the rotor pass thru and hold the sprocket as well. The caliper is Kawasaki GPz750. The Beemer and Kawi both used a 17mm diameter axle so making it and the spacers was no big deal but I had to fab up and weld a lug for the stay. The big added bonus is that instead of the 2 wheel bearings the stock A10 wheel used I now have 2 tapered rollers in the Beemer hub and a large sealed ball bearing in the sprocket carrier. I can also still remove the wheel and leave the sprocket and chain alone. The front end is Kawi GPz750 as well, but I had to adapt an older Honda CB550 spoked wheel because I didn't want the Kawi mag one. As things progress I plan to send both hubs to Buchanans and have new rims laced up. I did away with the silent block bushing in the swingarm and fitted it with roller bearings too. If my camera had batteries I'd go take some shots now and post them but... If you want pictures or dimensions let me know, I'll be happy to share.
MikeG

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Re: ambitious cafe project 650 TRIBSA [Re: Matt smith] #347799
12/12/10 11:59 pm
12/12/10 11:59 pm
Matt smith Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Matt smith  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
MikeG-
Funny you mention the swing arm. My friend and I were attempting to remove the bolt from the swing arm and the silent block bushing is so gummed up or swollen that NOTHING we do will budge it. We took two pieces of steel (the kind used on shop shelving) two 3/8 all thread rod and some wood blocks for spacers and tried to press the bolt out by tightening the rods.(let me insert a picture because that probably made no sense)

We managed to bend the all thread rods and mangle the steel. We heated it up, and still nothing. We have it on it's side with some parts blaster sprayed on bolt, but I doubt that'll help much. I imagine that depending on how the bike was stored will determine how difficult it is to get that bolt out and remove the swing arm. How did you tackle this? Also where did you get the roller bearings for the swing arm? Just a bearing supplier or was this something made for the BSA?

Please takes some pics of your bike, I'd love to see what you're doing on yours. Sounds cool!

I love motorcycles but they are also the bane of my existence...

Last edited by Matt smith; 12/13/10 12:11 am.

Re: ambitious cafe project 650 TRIBSA [Re: Matt smith] #347804
12/13/10 12:30 am
12/13/10 12:30 am
Elko, Nevada USA
dave - NV Offline
BritBike Forum member
dave - NV  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Elko, Nevada USA
I 'vagerly' remember seeing a picture of a rather unique rear brake fitted to a BSA Gold Star. The gent had modified a 8" SS BSA front brake with a flange adapter to accept common off the shelf 'Barnes type' dirt track sprockets. A RH brake and LH sprocket with this set up which would require a cross over brake control as was the case with some A10s with the full width rear brake. Worth the trouble? I don't know. Unique? You bet.

Fitting a commonly available dirt tracker wheel with 'knock off' adapters for both a RH side disc brake and LH side sprocket would work nicely. This would be 'period correct' back to the early/mid '60s and would be an easy 'bolt on and go' set up with a huge selection of sprocket sizes available

You've seen the Phil Pearson TLS brake conversions for the 8" and 190 mm BSA brakes? Nice.
However one of trickest BSA front brakes I've seen was on a gents road Goldie on the IOM years ago. He had craftily fitted a pair of hydraulic wheel cylinders into a 8" BSA brake for TLS operation. The little cable operated BMW master cylinder was cunningly hid behind the headlight.
Have fun

dave - NV
Re: ambitious cafe project 650 TRIBSA [Re: dave - NV] #347827
12/13/10 3:46 am
12/13/10 3:46 am
Ohio
R
Rickman Offline
BritBike Forum member
Rickman  Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
Ohio
I guess I got lucky?

I hear often enough about seazed swing arm axles.... Someone trying to replace or inspect questionable or failed silent block bushings....

The QD frame I have, and one of the full width hub frames I have, the swing arm bushings apear to me to be quite serviceable.
The other full width hub frame I have, already has the swing arm removed, without damage, and the swing arm and axle I have for it, slip together and apart quite easily.
I'll be sure to over lube the insides of that swing arm! I may go so far as to buy a tub of "waterproof" grease!

Re: ambitious cafe project 650 TRIBSA [Re: Matt smith] #347853
12/13/10 12:22 pm
12/13/10 12:22 pm
Matt smith Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Matt smith  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Rickman, you ARE lucky... the pisser here is that the frame we're currently working on is my neighbors A10, mine is ALSO seized and is up next for swing arm removal! Haha. I guess once we figure this out on the first bike, we'll know what to try on my frame (or at least what not to try).

matt

Re: ambitious cafe project 650 TRIBSA [Re: Matt smith] #347870
12/13/10 2:31 pm
12/13/10 2:31 pm
New Hampshier USA
MikeG Offline

BritBike Forum member
MikeG  Offline

BritBike Forum member
New Hampshier USA
Matt-The swingarm was already off mine so it was pretty easy. If you use the search function here you will find several threads on the subject, most involve getting between the frame lugs and swingarm with a hacksaw blade and cutting the pivot pin. You then have to spread the frame slightly to get the S/A out and then burn the old bushing out! Sounds like fun eh? When I restored my 60 A10 years ago I just left it in when I stripped and painted the frame and have had no problems with it yet. The bearings I used were off the shelf from the parts store I work at. I'll post pictuyres and part number soon.
MikeG

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Re: ambitious cafe project 650 TRIBSA [Re: Matt smith] #347875
12/13/10 4:16 pm
12/13/10 4:16 pm
Seattle
Alex Offline

BritBike Forum member
Alex  Offline

BritBike Forum member
Seattle
There was an article in CBG a couple of years back with a really excellent Tribsa. It hit all the right notes for me and wasn't trying to be something it's not.

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.
Re: ambitious cafe project 650 TRIBSA [Re: Matt smith] #347917
12/14/10 12:59 am
12/14/10 12:59 am
Matt smith Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Matt smith  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
alex
do you still have that issue? If you track it down let me know what year and month it is and I'll see if I can order a back issue.

matt

Re: ambitious cafe project 650 TRIBSA [Re: Matt smith] #347970
12/14/10 2:31 pm
12/14/10 2:31 pm
Seattle
Alex Offline

BritBike Forum member
Alex  Offline

BritBike Forum member
Seattle
Found it: Issue 207

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
Re: ambitious cafe project 650 TRIBSA [Re: Matt smith] #348093
12/15/10 11:28 am
12/15/10 11:28 am
Matt smith Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Matt smith  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Thanks a million Alex, I'm going to order that right now.

Heres the latest on the swing arm:

Currently I have two A10 frames in my shop. One is mine for my future TriBSA and the other is my neighbor Woody's. who is restoring his. My frame is the later type which has the hollow swing arm spindle for a right hand side rear brake. Woody's is a 1955 and it is still seized up inside those silent block bastards.

Anyway, I applied some parts blaster around the nut on the right hand side of the frame to help loosen everything up. I removed the nut as well as the small bolt on the left side that holds the flat side of the main spindle-bolt to the frame. I rethreaded the nut to the spindle (just a couple of threads so that there was an inch of thread exposed below it), propped the bikes left side up off the floor with a 2x4 and with a piece of scrap wood as a buffer, I gave it a few sharp taps with a mallet. Eureka! It eased down an inch. I removed the nut and using a spare socket (I believe 14mm was a close match) I tapped the spindle though the swing arm, adding spare 14mm sockets as the spindle sunk deeper and deeper until it popped out the other side. Now the 1st thread on the spindle was a bit bodged up, but I took it to the grinder to bevel it out and the nut went right back on.

The bushings are two metal sleeves, one inner and one outer, separated by a rubber layer. Using a torch (outside of course) I burned the tip of the swing arm where the rubber was exposed. The rubber soon caught fire and with the continuous flame of the torch the rubber bubbled up and burned out in a few minutes - all from the tip of the swing arm - as the rubber burned off the rubber deeper inside expanded and bubbled out.  after a few minutes I pulled the inner metal portion of the bushing out with some vice grips. I repeated this to the second side. With both inner sleeves removed I torched through the swing arm tube and burned out the rest of the rubber and scraped it out with  metal rod. I kept waiting for the fire company or the EPA to show up as flakes of burning rubber embers were swirling around the ally and toxic fumes from the burning rubber surely offended at least a few neighbors.

The outer sleeves of the silent block bushings are the real bitch. They are two, roughly 2-3 inch long tubes pressed into the swing arm very tightly. I tried using a Dremmel with a cutting tool to score a line across the metal sleeve. The bit wore out before I got too far. I ended up spending the next hour and a half swearing sweating and breaking tools (2 files a hack saw blade and two screwdrivers, but I finally got a couple of cuts into the inner sleeve where I could pry it out with some channel locks. Not a pretty job and there's still one more inner sleeve to go.

I really had to butcher the sleeve to get it out.

Next up is Woody's older model with the solid bolt-spindle. This one is really seized.

Re: ambitious cafe project 650 TRIBSA [Re: Matt smith] #348115
12/15/10 2:06 pm
12/15/10 2:06 pm
Seattle
Alex Offline

BritBike Forum member
Alex  Offline

BritBike Forum member
Seattle
Aaaaah, yes, the silentblocs have been the source of many a skinned knuckle...perseverence pays, though.

One other thing I thought might be of use to you that, if I were building this, I would use are the rearset mounts that Lyford Classics sells. Cool stuff:
http://lyford-bsa.co.uk/catalogue.html

Lots of other goodies as well that might suit you.

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
Re: ambitious cafe project 650 TRIBSA [Re: Matt smith] #348152
12/15/10 5:08 pm
12/15/10 5:08 pm
MN
S
Shades34 Offline
BritBike Forum member
Shades34  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
MN
Good to see you are "winning" against that swingarm. I am excited to see your progress on this bike. I have been gathering parts for my Triton for about a year and just put the motor and trans in the frame. You are inspiring me to get my arse in gear and get it up on wheels. (I haven't looked to see if my silent blocks are out as the frame had no swing arm when I got it)

Re: ambitious cafe project 650 TRIBSA [Re: Matt smith] #348215
12/15/10 11:50 pm
12/15/10 11:50 pm
Matt smith Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Matt smith  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
banged the other side of the silentbloc out so the swing arm is ready for the next step (modifying to fit whatever rear wheel setup I go with - then sand blasting/grinding unused tabs - then powder coating).

I used a carbide dremmel bit this time and it cut really well. I didnt cut back far enough so I still wrestled with it for 45 minutes with the vice grips before realizing it would probably pop out with a rod and hammer from the other side of the tube. It did. Net one I do should be a piece of cake!

Shades34: glad to inspire, winter is here and it's time to get out into the garage and start building!

Re: ambitious cafe project 650 TRIBSA [Re: Matt smith] #348547
12/17/10 3:15 pm
12/17/10 3:15 pm
Laredo (South) Texas, USA
GrandPaul Online content
BritBike Forum member
GrandPaul  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Laredo (South) Texas, USA
Looks like you are heading in the right direction on a fun project.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Re: ambitious cafe project 650 TRIBSA [Re: Matt smith] #350198
12/28/10 6:44 am
12/28/10 6:44 am
Santa Barbara, Cal.
B
Bodger Offline
BritBike Forum member
Bodger  Offline
BritBike Forum member
B
Santa Barbara, Cal.
Made one of these in 1966. Used my Goldstar running gear (engine go boom/clank) and Reggie Pridmore's rorty Tri Tr6 engine from his AFM winning sidecar (he replaced it with a Kwacker triple 500cc)...Bonnie cams, twin plug gead.

Later put Bonnie head on, Tr6 much more udeable and plenty strong.

I used a BSA primary case and goldie gbox.

It was very nice.

Sold to someone in Santa Barbara, never saw it again.

Re: ambitious cafe project 650 TRIBSA [Re: Matt smith] #350684
12/31/10 6:56 pm
12/31/10 6:56 pm
Matt smith Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Matt smith  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
I'm feeling a little in over my head with the tuning of this motor. I've decided to scale back a bit, start with a solid running, fine tuned, Pre unit engine and make it fit the frame. Tricking out the engine will come, possibly on the second 650 motor I have cases for. That way I can do the heavy mods and possibly do billet con rods new crank and do it right from the ground up. It's going to take a lot of time and money - both of which I don't have much to spare at this moment.

This morning I took my barrels over to a local machinist who specializes in performance engines. My neighbor Woody knows him from way back and is having him do the total engine rebuild on his A10. I am having the one hole in the engine case repaired (its right where the dynamo attaches. They are also boring the cylinder out to fit the .06 oversize pistons. Hopefully I'll have those back in the near future...

Re: ambitious cafe project 650 TRIBSA [Re: Matt smith] #351273
01/04/11 2:07 am
01/04/11 2:07 am
Ohio
R
Rickman Offline
BritBike Forum member
Rickman  Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
Ohio
Matt,
I wanted to ask if your friend's '55 frame's silent blocks are really gone? Does the swing arm move around oddly, or too much without the blocks holding back movement? [ Clank, clank...]
Or, does he just WANT to replace them?

Also, I thought to add to your CB magazine collection; The August '90 edition, #127.
This issue has a coupla bikes, but the one I'm pointing you towards, is the one on the cover, an A7SS 'Special'.

Also, earlier in this thread, brakes up front; Sure, the gt750 wheel, I had four of 'em, they are heavy. How about a Grimeca, or a dual sided drum off of a yammer early road racer, like the TR 2B? I think the TR3 came with disc brakes.... The spokes on the TR 2B wheel are about 3 inches long, if that! A HUGH drum brake! I had a hub years ago, never could find all the rest of the hardware..... PRICEY!!!!!

Anyone else know of other dual sided drum brake front wheels?
Brett

Last edited by Rickman; 01/04/11 2:15 am.
Re: ambitious cafe project 650 TRIBSA [Re: Matt smith] #351286
01/04/11 3:45 am
01/04/11 3:45 am
Matt smith Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Matt smith  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Rickman-
Woody finally got his spindle out. The tab on the far side broke off, so he pulled it out by adding sockets under the nut and wrenching down on it till it pulled out a little more, then added more sockets etc...

We looked into alternatives to silentblocs and found some bronze bushings that would fit, or we could just go with silentblocs and hope we never need to pull them again."Swan" had a nice idea on his Goldie restoration, where he drilled a hole in the center of the swing arm, tapped it and made a cap where he can open it up and add grease.

Thanks for the heads up on that CB issue, I just snagged one of the 'Bay. Looks cool on the cover!

I would love an old yamaha race hub, but they can go for well over a grand or two. If I come across a hub thats reasonable I would snatch it up in heartbeat. I'm going to a swap meet in a few weeks so who knows, maybe I'll get lucky. The vincent black shadow hubs are double sided, but way outta my price range. I am going to talk to a local race bike builder and see if he has any thoughts on taking some weight outta the gt750. I'm not 100% dead set on this wheel, I'm just experimenting at this stage in the game.

Matt

Re: ambitious cafe project 650 TRIBSA [Re: Matt smith] #351324
01/04/11 1:16 pm
01/04/11 1:16 pm
Ohio
R
Rickman Offline
BritBike Forum member
Rickman  Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
Ohio
Matt,
May I suggest to just drill & tap a hole for a grease zerk, instead of a capped hole, on the swing arm?

I'm not sure I like the seat on that A7SS, but there are enough choices out there... I'd want more padding.

If you were to get a chance to see one of those TR 2B wheels, you might see that quite a lot of the backing plates are carved away, and the carved openings are covered with tight weave screens.
This might not be best, if used on a bike that often sees mud, rain, or other types of water splashing up on the drum area.... And the engineering of the hub needs to be considered, as to weather of not the backing plates would withstand the torque applied to them, once the plates were carved up... No telling what alloys were used on one versus the other.... Aluminum or magnesium or ?

Re: ambitious cafe project 650 TRIBSA [Re: Rickman] #351375
01/04/11 6:25 pm
01/04/11 6:25 pm
Winona, MN
Swan Offline

BritBike Forum member
Swan  Offline

BritBike Forum member
Winona, MN
Matt,

With some patience and effort you can get a lot of stopping power out of a Suzuki drum. Turn the drum (after laced and trued) and arcing your new brake pads will work wonders.

Here are some notes on reducing the weight of the hub:
http://victorylibrary.com/brit/2LS-2.htm#GT750

1966 Triton
1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership