BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor
Shout Box

Featured Member
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Who's Online
94 registered (A10 Flash, ricochetrider, Mark Z, Jerry Roy, SeaniiPlunkett, David in Atlanta, Magnetoman, franko, Ob1quixote, Rusty Goose, UGOTBIT, RussH, shel, tonupjonnie, 44RIMFIRE, Paul Sammut, keith bradley, craigw, MikeG, Lannis, Les Binnell, TBolt72, Old Cafe Racer, konon, Randy Pigford, Hoss, Rich B, Rickman, Johns 66 T120R, Mike P, L.A.B., 10-91v, NickL, kurt fischer, kevin, Hillbilly bike, ATEN, Jeff Hall, YetAnotherDave, OLS, Tridentman, marble, fettlefart, bsawood, CrystalPistol, JBMorris, Drew, Gordo in Comox, Doug R, Mark J, BOB in NW PA, gavin eisler, BritTwit, zoe, stubbicatt, Pete R, Blown Income, Tigernuts, JD, KevRasen, pittss1s, MalRed, J.N., oldcrow, HeyWilly, Tasman, jmccandless, DavidP, Andy Carr, Goatman, Kev., bill50cal, TT Rider, DBDBrian, Beach, Bob Buchanan, Ken Hosford, chuckmn, Ignoramus, eezeetoo, Boomer, Allan Gill, penna-john, Triless, paul67, Peter R, John Healy, Jeff K., Peter Quick, Len_NZ, az-idea, wadeschields, Kerry W, TRIBSAUK), 442 Guests and 151 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hoss, Al_Sullivan, terence, Kumar, Rule303
8131 Registered Users
Forum Stats
8131 Members
33 Forums
53893 Topics
500680 Posts

Max Online: 1804 @ 03/01/11 6:54 pm
Top Posters
RF Whatley 10033
John Healy 8721
Lannis 8402
Alex 7577
ricochetrider 7470
JubeePrince 6152
Stuart 6129
kommando 5881
Jon W. Whitley 5084
Kent Shaun 4784
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#344896 - 11/24/10 6:58 am Amal 930 re-sleeving at home?
DPO Online   content
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Douglasville (Atlanta) Georgia
Has anyone attempted to re-sleeve their Amals on their own? Im hearing from another site that I can purchase oversized sleeves, and simply "hone" out the carb bodys for fitment...Is this feasible? Or am I better off sending them to Lund for resleeving at about $80 per carb?

1966 Triumph TR6
2005 Triumph "America"

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Upgrade your BritBike Forum membership for one year or for Life*
#344916 - 11/24/10 12:36 pm Re: Amal 930 re-sleeving at home? [Re: DPO]
Al J Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Maryland
I also heard someone mention this recently, but I don't know how feasible it is. My AMAL slides are also pretty worn and I need to do something this winter.

#344917 - 11/24/10 12:46 pm Re: Amal 930 re-sleeving at home? [Re: DPO]
303brit Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Australia
I am doing just that at the moment to a Monobloc,
well at least boring out the body and sleeving the slide.
I made a mandrel to fit the main jet holder that fits int a spider on the lathe then set it up with a machined guide fitting in the carb body and set up with two dial gauges.
took .020" to clean it up.
I have to make the sleeve for the slide next.
Unless you have alot of time to spare I think $80 would be money well spent.
I am only doing for the sake of doing it,definatly not saving any money!

#344929 - 11/24/10 3:08 pm Re: Amal 930 re-sleeving at home? [Re: DPO]
Jack Adams Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Noblesville, IN
DPO, of course it would be better to send them out,but since you are DPO,I'm looking forward to how you get on doing this at home. I imagine you will press into service such household things as a BBQ rotisserie with HOT charcoal, a vise,a drill,epoxy,assorted hammers and vise-grips.Used with that famous DPO sense of wild abandon,this thread could easily take us into the new year. GOOD LUCK. Jack

#344935 - 11/24/10 4:19 pm Re: Amal 930 re-sleeving at home? [Re: DPO]
Tridentman Online   content
BritBike Forum member

Loc: New Jersey USA
A good list of essential prerequisites to start with from Jack.
DPO, I would suggest bearing in mind the colder weather that this is best carried out with cut off jeans and wearing one flip flop to give you a leaning slant.
This will ensure that the angle of the sleeve matches the down draft angle of the inlet port.
Oh---and this is mandatory---a daily progress report please.
Actually I think Jack is wrong---I get the feeling that this one could take us through to the spring!

#344952 - 11/24/10 6:34 pm Re: Amal 930 re-sleeving at home? [Re: DPO]
HawaiianTiger Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Maui Hawaii
DPO,
Another alternative is....AMR in Arizona who bores the Concentric and installs a Mikuni chromed brass slide. I had this done for the carbs on my Commando. It runs great. The downside is that the carb bore gets a bit thin and is even more sensitive to over-tightening of the mounting nuts. Should last a very long time, though.
Bill
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Flying Tiger"
Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers)

#344958 - 11/24/10 7:36 pm Re: Amal 930 re-sleeving at home? [Re: HawaiianTiger]
Tiger t Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Kent , England
DPO, I sleeved a 376 Monobloc for my old Matchless and it worked a treat. I bored out the body, then turned down the slide and then fitted a stainless steel sleeve over the slide to fit the body. I am a Toolmaker and have all the right machinery at my disposal. If you have a go yourself, there is the chance that you might mess the carb up completely and then it's a new carb.If you do decide to have a go, then all the best and hope it works out OK. bigt

#344973 - 11/24/10 8:39 pm Re: Amal 930 re-sleeving at home? [Re: HawaiianTiger]
Tiger Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Melbourne Australia
Originally Posted By: HawaiianTiger
DPO,
Another alternative is....AMR in Arizona who bores the Concentric and installs a Mikuni chromed brass slide. I had this done for the carbs on my Commando. It runs great. The downside is that the carb bore gets a bit thin and is even more sensitive to over-tightening of the mounting nuts. Should last a very long time, though.
Bill

Mik slide conversion is superior to sleeving an AMAL slide IME, the Mik slide has a dedicated hole for the needle as opposed to the std slotted hole.

This seems to avoid the needle moving about and wearing the needle jet, I changed needle and needle jet at 25K miles as an experiment and saw no improvement in running or fuel economy, I would not expect that of the AMAL arrangement.

The Mik slide requires a .020" overbore of the AMAL body, mine was set up with only .0015" clearance and with carefull installation I have seen no slide sticking.

Carefull installation means not overtightening the mixing chamber cap screws as well as the carb mounting flange fasteners.

The conversion transformed the 930.

#344982 - 11/24/10 9:24 pm Re: Amal 930 re-sleeving at home? [Re: DPO]
DPO Online   content
BritBike Forum member

Ahhh Jack and Tridentman, Good to hear from yous guys....Ya'll know that I DON'T have a lathe, and the tools ya'll mention are actually a good idea, as I have been watching "How's it made" on the discovery channel. I just got a new (to me) cordless drill from the Pawn shop as a "deal gone bad" exchange, and I need to use it on SOMETHING. I also have whats left of a brake cylinder hone that has'nt quite worn completely out, and the gears are a turnin!!! On a more serious note, I have high hopes of getting on a different shift at work, where, apparently, overtime is plentiful. I seen on e-bay a "AMAL replacement" carb set for a reasonable price, which is what I'll probably do. I have purchased a quart of dark blue metallic paint, so all that's left is the silver paint, and a quart of "clear coat". Paint should be complete in early January, then I can start back together with the bike. Good to hear from yous guys, and we'll see the REAL DPO'S at the 3 state mountain ride (Kimmy's coming this time)....

1966 Triumph TR6
2005 Triumph "America"

#344987 - 11/24/10 9:52 pm Re: Amal 930 re-sleeving at home? [Re: DPO]
GaCracker Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Johns Creek,Ga
Mark, I completely relate to your situation of working on a tight budget. Been there and still doing it. If it were me though, I would send them to Lund. The tolerance between slide and carb body is critical, and if you hone too much, it'll run rich and you can't correct it. At $160 or so for 2 resleeved carbs, that is still cheaper than 1 new AMAL. Just my thoughts. I hope to make the next TSMR, maybe we can travel up together. Greg

#344994 - 11/24/10 10:25 pm Re: Amal 930 re-sleeving at home? [Re: DPO]
John Healy Online   content

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts
Quote:
The tolerance between slide and carb body is critical, and if you hone too much, it'll run rich and you can't correct it.

Don't you mean if you don't hone it enough it'll run too rich?

You need .004" to .0045" for the jetting to work properly!!

One reason the slide clearance is critical is to keep you from killing yourself!!

If you are on a budget there are thousands of perfectly good Amals bodies out there that just need to be straightened. You can buy them for next to nothing.

#345026 - 11/25/10 4:58 am Re: Amal 930 re-sleeving at home? [Re: DPO]
DPO Online   content
BritBike Forum member

We'll see what happens, what shift I end up on as to whether or not I can buy new carbs...Thats what I would prefer to do...Greg, Me and the wife will borrow a trailer and pull the T120 and her America up, probably Friday morning, and leave out Sunday sometime.

1966 Triumph TR6
2005 Triumph "America"

#345030 - 11/25/10 8:09 am Re: Amal 930 re-sleeving at home? [Re: DPO]
Pete R Online   content
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Vic. Australia
The slide seems to wear more than the carb body;and sometimes the slides can be a little too loose to start with,even when they were new.
I've had good results just putting sleeves on the slides,to bring them up to a neater fit (like 0.004" clearance or so).If the bore in the carb body was badly worn,you would need to bore it or ream/hone it straight (after first straightening the body and flange).
I've used stainless steel sleeves on slides,brass would be OK too.
*Turn a mandrel so that it neatly fits into the top part of the slide.Then drill and tap the end of the mandrel on centre,to fit a screw about 1/8".(I used 1/8"BSW ;5 gauge UNC or M3 would do).
*Fit the slide onto the mandrel,put the 1/8" screw though the bottom of the slide into the mandrel to fasten it.Then turn from the bottom of the slide up to the tang near the top.Make it an interference fit in your stainless or brass tube,about 0.001"-0.0015".Press the stainless tube onto the slide,then turn it again to finished size to suit the carb body.If you can grind it to finished size,that's even better.
*Lastly,cut/grind the cutaway to the original size.De-burr any sharp edges.

This has worked well for me,even without boring the carb body.

#345312 - 11/27/10 2:48 am Re: Amal 930 re-sleeving at home? [Re: DPO]
DPO Online   content
BritBike Forum member

I don't quite understand how "used" bodies are gonna be any better than the bodies I have. The odometer read about 4000 miles on it when we rescued it from the woods...Once I get the used bodies, I'll inquire as to what to do next...If I get on 2nd shift in January, I'll be buying new ones....

1966 Triumph TR6
2005 Triumph "America"

#345319 - 11/27/10 3:26 am Re: Amal 930 re-sleeving at home? [Re: DPO]
Jack Adams Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Noblesville, IN
DPO, Not all used carb bodies are used up.Just as John says,I have over the years bought many used AMAL carbs and carb bodies that looked great inside the slide bore. Of these I have found that about 70% had plugged pilot jets and the rest had been warped or had no real problem at all. The point is I usually don't pay over about 5 bucks a body and they are almost always easily fixable. Jack

#345562 - 11/29/10 12:06 am Re: Amal 930 re-sleeving at home? [Re: DPO]
DPO Online   content
BritBike Forum member

I don't really have any idea either at this point. All I know, is I rode the bike to the mountains with some friends, the thing was backfiring like a machine gun on deceleration. Bill put his colortune on both cylinders, and found they were both way off, and needed alot of adjustment to get the right color in the colortune, and once we did, the idle was at like 1200 RPM, with the idle screws all the way out. I rode it on home like this, and the bike ran excellant, with plenty of power, and ZERO popping on decel. The only problem is the idle is WAY too high...We assume the carbs are sucking air around the slides, but this is only an assumption. I know the carbs are very clean, and the float levels are as good as they're gonna get, with that whole "movable seat" concept....Im either gonna send both carbs to Lund, or replace them altogether at this point...

1966 Triumph TR6
2005 Triumph "America"

#345662 - 11/29/10 9:10 pm Re: Amal 930 re-sleeving at home? [Re: DPO]
Terry_tr6 Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Melbourne Fl
DPO: This is obviously an application where JB weld would shine. Just chuck your slide in your new drill and spin it against a file until you get it nice and square. Coat the slide with mold release, butter up the body with JB Weld and slide it all togeather. Once it cures, the slide will "slide" right out and you'll have a perfect fit.

As i didn't have the precision tools and skills you posess, i sent mine out to AMR and was very pleased. Since he's machining the body to a stock slide, he can also supply you with different cut-aways if your bike was running fine and you want to mess it up.

#345669 - 11/29/10 10:29 pm Re: Amal 930 re-sleeving at home? [Re: DPO]

Originally Posted By: Terry TR6
DPO: This is obviously an application where JB weld would shine. Just chuck your slide in your new drill and spin it against a file until you get it nice and square. Coat the slide with mold release, butter up the body with JB Weld and slide it all togeather. Once it cures, the slide will "slide" right out and you'll have a perfect fit.

You certainly jest... ??????????????

#345683 - 11/29/10 11:27 pm Re: Amal 930 re-sleeving at home? [Re: DPO]
Terry_tr6 Offline
BritBike Forum member

john, i am soooo disappointed in you writing "you certainly jest" and not "surely you jest" so i could pay homage to the late leslie neilson.

#345690 - 11/30/10 12:03 am Re: Amal 930 re-sleeving at home? [Re: DPO]

Is the late leslie Neilson who because he applied Jb Weld to the body of this carburetor, had his slide stick wide open when the bond failed, and went through a red light slamming into the side of a mini-van with a family of 7 who were all killed? It wasn't that Leslie Neilson, was it?

Or are you referring to the actor Leslie Neilson who died at the ripe old age of 84 yesterday? And don't call me shurley!

#345699 - 11/30/10 1:12 am Re: Amal 930 re-sleeving at home? [Re: John Healy]
Terry_tr6 Offline
BritBike Forum member

yes

#345701 - 11/30/10 1:26 am Re: Amal 930 re-sleeving at home? [Re: Terry_tr6]
Atlanta Bonnie Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
shirly nothing beats Lund Machine, who is a sponsor on this site .

Two sets of carbs done, and what a difference it made on both bikes. Fast turn around.

#345873 - 12/01/10 6:59 am Re: Amal 930 re-sleeving at home? [Re: Atlanta Bonnie]
DPO Online   content
BritBike Forum member

Not gonna do the whole "don't call me shirly" thing, though appreciated...You know the whole JB Weld / Mold release actually crossed my mind for a second, funny you should mention that....I'll get in touch with Lund, I think that's the best idea at this point....

Edited by DPO (12/01/10 7:00 am)

1966 Triumph TR6
2005 Triumph "America"

#345907 - 12/01/10 1:19 pm Re: Amal 930 re-sleeving at home? [Re: DPO]
Tridentman Online   content
BritBike Forum member

Loc: New Jersey USA
DPO---you disappoint me--------------

#346152 - 12/02/10 7:46 pm Re: Amal 930 re-sleeving at home? [Re: DPO]
Terry_tr6 Offline
BritBike Forum member

DPO, just so you know who you're dealing with, I happen to know that Ace hardware stocks the really big tubes of JB Weld......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  John Healy 

Untitled Document

Home, Sponsors
Newsletter, Regalia
Calendar, Bike Project
BritBike Museum
Spiders Cartoons

"OLD" BritBike Forum

DVD- Manuals & Parts books
BritBike Stickers & Decals

Upgrade your membership-