BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Doug Barisone
Doug Barisone
california, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
211 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,665 guests, and 560 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
revans, Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery
9959 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 191
koan58 99
Stuart 84
NickL 72
Popular Topics(Views)
438,413 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,287
Posts632,399
Members9,959
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#342931 - 11/12/10 7:49 pm 64 BSA B40 Distributor / timing Question...  
Peter W Offline
BritBike Forum member
Peter W  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Brooklyn ny
So, im pretty new to this and been messing with the timing for quite a bit now. I recently saw that im suppose to move the auto advance forward when I set the points to release the cigarette paper. Problem is, i dont know what the book means by setting the auto advance forward. Can anyone clarify? I have the distributor on the top, looks like a mushroom, not the side points...

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#342938 - 11/12/10 8:16 pm Re: 64 BSA B40 Distributor / timing Question... [Re: Peter W]  
BONZO R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
BONZO R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

Michigan, USA
I'm not familiar with the B-40 but generally the advance unit is set in position by removing the fixing bolt and add a washer under it to capture the advance unit in fully advanced position.If you are setting the timing with a degree wheel you can do some math and set the timing with the advance unit in its relaxed positionby subtracting the degree of advance and factoring in the speed of the advance unit ,probably half engine speed but again,I'm not familiar with this setup.

FWIW-BONZO

#342944 - 11/12/10 8:52 pm Re: 64 BSA B40 Distributor / timing Question... [Re: Peter W]  
BSA_WM20 Online content
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Sydney Australia
What it means is to rotate the points cam to the fully advanced position.
On the side points you take out the points cam retaining bolt, rotate the cam fully then replace the bolt with a "special" washer that contacts the cam and prevents it springing back.
The special washer is just a thick washer with an oversized hole in to so that slips over the protruberance of the drive shaft and sits on the cam itself then is clamped by the retaining bolt.

Another job for the 3 handed mechanic

Bike Beesa
Trevor
#342954 - 11/12/10 9:43 pm Re: 64 BSA B40 Distributor / timing Question... [Re: Peter W]  
Alex Offline
BritBike Forum member
Alex  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Seattle
You need to rotate the points cam in the direction of engine rotation and hold it there while you check the points gap. I find it easier to connect a DVM across the points (between points wire and ground), set it on the audible continuity test setting and use that, rather than the cumbersome cigarette paper thing. You can also use a test light. The points should be just opening when the crankshaft is in the fully advanced position (piston 3/8" or 34 degrees btdc).

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.
#343018 - 11/13/10 10:04 am Re: 64 BSA B40 Distributor / timing Question... [Re: Peter W]  
kommando Online content
kommando  Online Content

Scotland
Watch the BSA service sheet, it tells you to set the timing at the fully retarded position, once you have this position you turn the cam forwards to release the paper. Can't see this working well on your distibrutor which from you previous posts sounds well worn. My suggestion would be for you to get the later primary cover so you can strobe the timing and either get an unworn distributor or rebush your current one to stop the timing varying all the time (never done this but Rupert Ratio partially covers this).

Use the BSA service sheet method to get the bike to start and then strobe it to get the fully advanced timing correct.

As well as the new primary cover you will need to use a piston stop and a timing wheel to get the alternator rotor marked with the correct position to match the marks on the primary cover at the fully advanced point for the strobe to illuminate.

Once you have this done retiming will be easy and you can throw away the cigarette paper.

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.488s Queries: 15 (0.072s) Memory: 0.8188 MB (Peak: 0.9770 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-23 01:39:49 UTC