BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
pittss1s
pittss1s
hamilton, va
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
212 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,659 guests, and 562 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
revans, Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery
9959 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 193
koan58 99
Stuart 84
NickL 71
Popular Topics(Views)
438,526 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,287
Posts632,414
Members9,959
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#341788 - 11/07/10 12:42 am Intake manifold distance and carb performance.  
allflatblack Offline
BritBike Forum member
allflatblack  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Jersey City NJ, USA
I have been wondering about this for some time. What difference does carb distance from the head make on carb performance? for instance, my Trident originally has three AMAL 626's set up on a gantry that is then mounted on rubber tubes that mount over stubs that run into the head. I have replaced the Amals with PWK flat slide carbs and have gotten them reasonably dialed in, with the carbs set on the gantry but running individual cables from a coupling. The bike runs great, but I always wonder what it would be like if I had set it up without the gantry. The gantry adds about an inch of manifold piping to the whole setup.
Have seen hot-rods with carb risers in the past, lifting a big four barrel three inches off of the manifold, but in the opposite my A65 has a 929 bolted right to the head. I wonder if this distance has any ill effects or benefits. A benefit that I can think of: more distance for turbulence to increase atomization and fuel/air mixture. Negative?I imagine that the longer distance could effect vacuum leading to weaker response time. I could imagine a snappier throttle.
What do you guys think?

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#341822 - 11/07/10 5:25 am Re: Intake manifold distance and carb performance. [Re: allflatblack]  
BONZO R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
BONZO R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

Michigan, USA
This is always a good topic. The general thinking seems to have been longer intake tract=better performance but there is a very real science behind tuning . I am most certain that factory specs were not set for performance , rather built as a compromise between performance and production costs . You might post on the performance board(if you haven't/I didn't check) you should get loads of tech ,those guys map their cams and know all sorts of terms that make my head hurt ....

FWIW-BONZO

#341825 - 11/07/10 5:37 am Re: Intake manifold distance and carb performance. [Re: allflatblack]  
triton thrasher Online content
BritBike Forum member
triton thrasher  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

scotland

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
#341847 - 11/07/10 10:40 am Re: Intake manifold distance and carb performance. [Re: allflatblack]  
Ob1quixote Online content
BritBike Forum member
Ob1quixote  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Charleston SC
One of my OT bikes has a long intake. It is a Honda Z50 that has been repowered with a chinese knock-off motor. The long intake is needed because there is an electric starter where the carb would have been on a "regular" motor.

I find it to be a little slow on throttle response. I think this is caused by having a volume of air/fuel mix in the intake that exceeds the displacement of the engine. I can only imagine that this effect is present when extending intakes on larger engines, only to a lesser degree.

Last edited by Ob1quixote; 11/07/10 10:40 am.

When singing "Kung Fu Fighting" is outlawed, only outlaws will sing "Kung Fu Fighting"
#341895 - 11/07/10 3:49 pm Re: Intake manifold distance and carb performance. [Re: allflatblack]  
DMadigan Offline
BritBike Forum member
DMadigan  Offline
BritBike Forum member

ca, us
In addition to the information in TT's link, C. Taylor (MIT Press) has two books on I.C. engine performance.
Familiar with a clarinet? The engine valve is acting like the reed, the intake length like the clarinet body. The longer the intake, the lower the pitch or resonance (RPM where pressure pulses help fill the cylinder). The larger the diameter of the pipe, the weaker the pressure pulses which is why throwing on big carbs generally hurts low end performance, but small carbs will hurt top end. Which is more important?
Going to EFI this is less of a problem since the pressure wave is not needed to pull in the fuel to the intake stream.

#341983 - 11/07/10 9:48 pm Re: Intake manifold distance and carb performance. [Re: allflatblack]  
Sisyphus Offline
BritBike Forum member
Sisyphus  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Maine

There is no such thing as a sympathetic vibration.
#341998 - 11/07/10 10:58 pm Re: Intake manifold distance and carb performance. [Re: allflatblack]  
johnm Online content
BritBike Forum member
johnm  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

New Zealand
As I have said on several occasions Im a big believer in inlet and exhaust tuning for race motorcycles anyway.

The exhaust calculation in mezporting in the link above posted by sisyphus is almost exactly the same as you will get in Blair or AG Bell.

The inlet calculation is the same as Vizard, Panic and Blair all except the 2nd resonance node where Blair gives a different result. I have no idea why.

I have inlets 13 inches long on my 500 twin norton race bike and notice no delays at all.

With respect to the Trident and other street bikes my preference would be first and formost

1. to mount the carbs flexibly with no possibilty of them fouling or touching the frame or other parts. Vibration leading to frothing and starvation is death to any high speed tuning. I would also place a good thermal insulating spacer between the carb and the head. You want to keep the carbs as cool as possible.

2. Once you are sure you have that right then personally my next step on a street bike would be to get good aircleaners fitted to preserve the motor.

And lastly I would tune for lenght. Make the distance just as long as you can make the inlet tract by either a spacer between the carb and head or by adding good shaped bellmouths. But I would not sacrifice 1 and 2 to do this. Generally you will find it is impossible to achieve the calculated lenghts within the room constraints of the frame and motor. From the little I have seen of Tridents this will be especially true because you have very little space.

If you really want to do this properly you should fine tune on a dyno.

John

Last edited by johnm; 11/08/10 1:14 am.
#342247 - 11/09/10 3:11 am Re: Intake manifold distance and carb performance. [Re: allflatblack]  
allflatblack Offline
BritBike Forum member
allflatblack  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Jersey City NJ, USA
Wow! I will look into all of this a bit more over the winter!

Thanks!

#342303 - 11/09/10 3:08 pm Re: Intake manifold distance and carb performance. [Re: allflatblack]  
BSAJIP Offline
BritBike Forum member
BSAJIP  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Ohio
allflatblack,

I have a BSA 441 with an extended intake manifold and a 4+ inch long AMAL stack. Total distance from the intake valve to the stack opening is about 16.5 inches long. It is very responsive, starts easily and exhibits far more punch at lower RPM's than a standard set up. Chrysler pioneered long ram manifolds in the Sixties. The principals of ram tuning apply to m/c's as well. BSAJIP

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.489s Queries: 15 (0.011s) Memory: 0.8540 MB (Peak: 1.0373 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-23 03:53:08 UTC