BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Neal J
Neal J
Boston, MA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
208 registered members (2ndchildhood), 1,562 guests, and 558 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Gerard, Regi, Doug Baril, revans, Gilly
9962 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 186
koan58 101
Stuart 85
NickL 69
Popular Topics(Views)
440,407 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,307
Posts632,163
Members9,962
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#340528 - 10/29/10 11:33 pm Prof Gordon Blair - RIP  
dave - NV Online content
BritBike Forum member
dave - NV  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Elko, Nevada USA
As some of you have mentioned reading/using Blair's books on engine design and tuning, I thought you may be interested in hearing of his passing.
click here:
http://www.profblairandassociates.com/GPB_Tribute.html

dave - NV
#340531 - 10/29/10 11:49 pm Re: Prof Gordon Blair - RIP [Re: dave - NV]  
J. Charles Smith Offline
BritBike Forum member
J. Charles Smith  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Westminster, MD, USA
It seems I have known Blair's name, and some of his work, all my life. Godspeed, Dr. Blair.

#340626 - 10/30/10 4:48 pm Re: Prof Gordon Blair - RIP [Re: dave - NV]  
Britbodger R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
Britbodger R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

Houston Texas
Unfortunately don't have any of his books (shame on me). However I do appreciate that a great man just passed away frown He probably contributed more to engine design - especially motorcycles than most people realize.

R.I.P Professor Blair

P.S. Three years ago a friend of mine was wandering around at the Daytona Vintage races when he felt someone tap him on his shoulder. It was none other than Professor Gordon Blair himself! He was attracted by the large Royal Enfield motif that my friend wears on the back of his jacket. My friend was very much aware of the Professor Blair's fame and an interesting conversation ensued as my friend considers himself to be somewhat of an inventor as well. My friend was ecstatic about meeting such a famous person as I would be too!

#340777 - 10/31/10 6:55 pm Re: Prof Gordon Blair - RIP [Re: dave - NV]  
tomterrific Offline
BritBike Forum member
tomterrific  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Columbus, Ohio, 1978 T140E
In 1967 I wrote a High School paper on tuning the length of intake and exhaust
from reading an article Blair wrote for Hot Rod magazine. His article started
me thinking about exhaust tuning. I remember him saying proper lengths would be
like a free 2psi supercharge. I had to find this secret! :^) I had his Dunstall 2-1-2 pipes on my '71 Norton. I've seen
Professor Blair's name pop up ever since and I always think how much I love
learning about something new to me. It's a good feeling.

Nice picture of the fellow. He looks like he enjoyed life.

Tom Graham

#340805 - 10/31/10 9:05 pm Re: Prof Gordon Blair - RIP [Re: dave - NV]  
johnm Offline
BritBike Forum member
johnm  Offline
BritBike Forum member

New Zealand
Thanks Dave,

Dave bought this to my attention on a PM and thanks very much for that. I was not aware he had passed away.

I found Blairs books a few years ago. They are pretty challenging and you need good maths but in his four stroke book he also had a chapter on empirical results for exhaust and inlet tuning and I found these easier to understand and use.

It is one of those books I find I have to read several times before I understand what he means. He also wrote a couple of articles in the last few years. One called "Back to Basics" which described the basic porting requrements for a four stroke motors. The data is useful for our old bikes. He wrote another one when the new rules on MotoGP came in discussing at a high level the pluses and minuses of the range of motor geometries the factories could use. It was also very interesting. Explaining the balance of good and bad things about twins versus 3,4, 5 and six cylinders. Vs and parallel cylinders etc.

I liked the way he wrote. He gave you ideas not answers and made you think.

I suspect however from some of his writing he may have been one of those old professors who did not suffer fools gladly so he might have been a challenge to work with. But how many Ducati riding, motor cycle mad, engineering professors who pit crewed at the Isle of Man are you ever going to meet?

He wrote in the forward to his book about watching the Ulster GP when his was a child and his heros Jo Craig and others. He used the Matchless G50 as an example in his book and was a friend of Jack Williams (father of Peter Williams)who developed the AJS 7R and Matchless G50 engines.

There is indeed a little bit of him in every racing engine around the world.

Last edited by johnm; 10/31/10 9:08 pm.

Moderated by  Allan Gill 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.302s Queries: 15 (0.055s) Memory: 0.8121 MB (Peak: 0.9605 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-25 05:50:25 UTC