BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Jwood & co JRC Engineering dealers Jwood & co
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
MusketVtwin
MusketVtwin
columbus ohio
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
39 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 275 guests, and 470 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
vietnammotorbike, Lennart Liljedah, Mal Wood, FireGuyKC, spuggy
10288 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 94
Lannis 66
Mori55 60
Popular Topics(Views)
636,103 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,366
Posts654,067
Members10,288
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Amal distortion query #338676
10/17/10 8:37 pm
10/17/10 8:37 pm
Farnham, Surrey, UK
gunner Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
gunner  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Farnham, Surrey, UK
I've rebuilt a good used AMAL 930 for my A65 restoration. I have used a new slide and rebuild kit. There is hardly any wear on the body and the slide seems a good fit.

Today, I mounted the carb but was disappointed to find that, following lightly tightening the mounting bolts, the slide sticks.

I have filed the mounting flange flat and relieved the new slide of any high spots using wet & dry.

I know these carbs are prone to distortion so I was wondering if anyone knows how to fix this problem?

I did read a post on the captain norton website which suggested mounting the carb in a vice parelell with the mounting flange and lightly squeezing. This is supposed to remove any distortion.

Anyone tried this or have any tips for this problem? All info welcome!

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Amal distortion query [Re: gunner] #338681
10/17/10 9:14 pm
10/17/10 9:14 pm
Central Illinois
C
charliechan Offline
BritBike Forum member
charliechan  Offline
BritBike Forum member
C
Central Illinois
I have heard the same thing with the vice, but don't trust myself to have the right touch to correct it. I have developed the sleeve it or don't use or fix it once and be done attitude in the last few years because sleeving will eliminate most of your AMAL wear issues and it's well worth getting rid of the frustration bad amals can bring. I have not had one of my sleeved carbs warp.

Re: Amal distortion query [Re: gunner] #338707
10/18/10 12:38 am
10/18/10 12:38 am
Boston, Massachusetts
J
John Healy Offline
BritBike Forum member
John Healy  Offline
BritBike Forum member
J
Boston, Massachusetts
There is so little metal to work with, the body will have to be straightened before it is bored.

You do not want to file or lap the flange face flat a this will be flat once the body is straightened.

Straightening Amal Concentric

The tool consists of a flat piece of metal, a turned down bar that is approx. .004" smaller than the o.d. of a slide.. The bar has a hole in it through which a 3/8" fine bolt is passed through. The plate is threaded (actually with a Helicoil). All you have to do is shim the flange and tighten the bolt.

For an awful lot of bodies out there, straightening will all that is required. I have been using this tool for 20 years and it has become routine to fix new bodies that have been warped by customers over tightening the flange bolts or on carburetors customers want to save. And the beauty, it doesn't cost anything to do it.

Unlike a vice that can introduce more distortion, just in another place, this just reverses the original problem.

Re: Amal distortion query [Re: gunner] #338727
10/18/10 6:28 am
10/18/10 6:28 am
ca, us
D
DMadigan Online content
BritBike Forum member
DMadigan  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
D
ca, us
You do not want to take material off the slide or bore. The problem is the body is not round after mounting. First lap the flange flat using a circular motion with the body held by the flange. Back and forth will cause the flange to round in the direction you push.
Make sure the mating face is also flat then mount the carb with no gasket/O-ring or anything else. Drop the slide in with a cable to pull it back out and no top on the carb. When it sticks, use a smooth jaw channel lock plier around the top to find the axis where the slide drops free. Take out the slide and gently squeeze the body in the same place then try again. Eventually you will give it just enough distortion to let the slide move freely.
Only tighten the mounting nuts enough to squash the O-ring and nothing more.
Only use Micarta (Bakelite) as the insulator, no gasket.

Re: Amal distortion query [Re: DMadigan] #338748
10/18/10 11:23 am
10/18/10 11:23 am
Farnham, Surrey, UK
gunner Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
gunner  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Farnham, Surrey, UK
Excellent advise chaps, I will give these tips a try and see what happens.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
Re: Amal distortion query [Re: gunner] #338787
10/18/10 3:59 pm
10/18/10 3:59 pm
Central Illinois
C
charliechan Offline
BritBike Forum member
charliechan  Offline
BritBike Forum member
C
Central Illinois
I thought the companies that provide sleeving checked the bodies for warping before boring and sleeving. I do like Daves plier method.

Re: Amal distortion query [Re: gunner] #338804
10/18/10 5:27 pm
10/18/10 5:27 pm
Boston, Massachusetts
J
John Healy Offline
BritBike Forum member
John Healy  Offline
BritBike Forum member
J
Boston, Massachusetts
Quote:
I thought the companies that provide sleeving checked the bodies for warping before boring and sleeving.

As I said above: The body will have to be straightened before it is bored. Yes, the people who sleeve these carburetors typically straighten them before boring. The wall is too thin to begin with, and removing any metal will make it more prone to bending when the flange is over tightened.

The warped bore goes hand-in-hand with a bent flange. If you have one, you have the other. Bend the flange back so it is flat and the bore returns to being round. Unlike at set of pliers, there is no guessing or skill required.

Most late Triumphs use an thick "O" ring instead of the phenolic spacer. It is important not to tighten the mounting nuts so the space between the carb. flange and manifold is less than 0.060". Any more guarantees you will bend the flange.

Re: Amal distortion query [Re: John Healy] #338818
10/18/10 6:47 pm
10/18/10 6:47 pm
Central Illinois
C
charliechan Offline
BritBike Forum member
charliechan  Offline
BritBike Forum member
C
Central Illinois
I figured as much and was just trying to recommend a decent priced fix all in one shot.

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership