BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
desertrat
desertrat
Arizona
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
211 registered members (750Bonny), 1,835 guests, and 546 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 188
koan58 100
Stuart 88
NickL 65
Popular Topics(Views)
436,895 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,269
Posts632,124
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#335091 - 09/24/10 7:32 pm Re: Oil tight Triumph... myth or reality? [Re: Bola]  
Blapper Offline
BritBike Forum member
Blapper  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Kent UK
So far so good with mine. I think running the crankcases under partial vacuum must help.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#335173 - 09/25/10 9:53 am Re: Oil tight Triumph... myth or reality? [Re: Bola]  
meriden4ever Offline
BritBike Forum member
meriden4ever  Offline
BritBike Forum member

London United Kingdom
Magazine testers of co-op Triumphs consistently used to marvel at their oil-tightness so it can be done. Probably one or a series of ham-fisted home mechanics destroyed the Meriden craftsmanship before it was passed on to you ?

1983 TR65T Tiger Trail
1983 TSSAV
1983 TSX
1983 TR65 Thunderbird
1982 TR7T Tiger Trail
#335269 - 09/25/10 7:56 pm Re: Oil tight Triumph... myth or reality? [Re: meriden4ever]  
Bola Offline
BritBike Forum member
Bola  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Toronto, Canada
Originally Posted By: meriden4ever
Magazine testers of co-op Triumphs consistently used to marvel at their oil-tightness so it can be done. Probably one or a series of ham-fisted home mechanics destroyed the Meriden craftsmanship before it was passed on to you ?

Good to know... Winter's coming in my part of the hemisphere. Something to strive for when I'm grounded.

#335374 - 09/26/10 2:38 pm Re: Oil tight Triumph... myth or reality? [Re: Bola]  
Graham Ham Offline
Private sponsor
Graham Ham  Offline
Private sponsor

South East England
Well,

I can only speak with any authority on the earlier models, but I do not accept that oil leaks are either inevitable or necessary !

All the Triumphs that have gone through my hands leaked - when I GOT them. NONE of them leaked when I passed 'em on. All down to surface preparation, quality parts and care when assembling.

I currently run two pre-unit Triumphs. One Dynamo model, Daisy, which doesn't leak, not even from the dynamo (except recently in Sweden when the cork seal actually broke in half!)and one alternator model.

I *do* get a couple of drips occasionally from the engine breather? But that's about it.

I've often heard it said that ALL Triumphs leak, especially from the pushrod tubes?

Load of old Bollix, in my view. An excuse for bad assembly is what that is.

bigt

Good judgment comes from experience, but the most memorable experiences tend to come from bad judgment!

http://www.panther-publishing.co.uk/default.asp?contentID=18

#335389 - 09/26/10 3:32 pm Re: Oil tight Triumph... myth or reality? [Re: Bola]  
T140V-Rich Offline
BritBike Forum member
T140V-Rich  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Sunny South Carolina, (US)
Graham, you might appreciate this with the mentioning of the PRTs.

I've disassembled what was my late dad's T140. I remember building the engine 15 years ago and I could have sworn we put them in.

However, when the head came off, there wasn't an o-ring answering roll call on the top of the PRT. Either fore or aft!

Now, that must have leaked, you say? Actually, it wasn't bad. I'd wipe them off every month or so and they'd be as good as new. Where those o rings went? Beats me. But I know it didn't leak!

FWIW

Richard

1977 T-140V
1973 T-140V
2011 Bonneville SE
Author of "Relics and Reminiscing."
#335552 - 09/27/10 2:51 pm Re: Oil tight Triumph... myth or reality? [Re: Bola]  
Tiger Offline
BritBike Forum member
Tiger  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Melbourne Australia
Damn bloody bastard thing of mine just did a brisk 120 miles in the company of Ducatis and other bloody heathen things and wept not a drop !

I suspect that it is trying to make a dickhead of me.

1969 TR6R
7.62 x 51 is not a maths puzzle.
#335555 - 09/27/10 3:16 pm Re: Oil tight Triumph... myth or reality? [Re: Bola]  
Tridentman Online content
BritBike Forum member
Tridentman  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

New Jersey USA
Tiger---your use of that word brought back a memory to me.
I am Tridentman on this board but my real name is Richard Beard.
The abbreviation for Richard is of course Dick.
I attended a technical conference once where they got my second name a bit snarled---they had me down as Mr. Head.
Of course the receptionist said---Good Morning, Dick Head---I thought it was a bit too close to the truth!

#335637 - 09/28/10 1:05 am Re: Oil tight Triumph... myth or reality? [Re: Tridentman]  
RetroRod Offline
BritBike Forum member
RetroRod  Offline
BritBike Forum member

QLD, Australia
Here in Oz we had a country western balladeer (Stan Costa) who wrote and sang a song called Richard Head. What a good song it was too. RR

'72 Bonneville
"He who praises you for what you lack wishes to take from you what you have." - Don Juan Manuel
#335665 - 09/28/10 6:45 am Re: Oil tight Triumph... myth or reality? [Re: meriden4ever]  
triton thrasher Online content
BritBike Forum member
triton thrasher  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

scotland
Originally Posted By: meriden4ever
Magazine testers of co-op Triumphs consistently used to marvel at their oil-tightness

Pity the customers' experience wasn't the same.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
#335666 - 09/28/10 6:49 am Re: Oil tight Triumph... myth or reality? [Re: Graham Ham]  
triton thrasher Online content
BritBike Forum member
triton thrasher  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

scotland
Originally Posted By: Graham Ham

I currently run two pre-unit Triumphs.

I think the iron headed ones give less pushrod tube oily grief.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
#336062 - 09/30/10 10:42 pm Re: Oil tight Triumph... myth or reality? [Re: Bola]  
MrRippington Offline
BritBike Forum member
MrRippington  Offline
BritBike Forum member

USA
Well I have ye olde 1970 Tiger and it leaks from many spots, but each of these leaks is ye small one. Quite wee little leaks they be. I'm in ye process of attempting to address each leak one at a time with patience and me considerable technical prowess. The leaks are perhaps even what one might call weepage. For example if I run it on the highway at 65 mph for an hour, the top of the oil tank is covered with a thin film, I guess seepage form ye oil tank cap. Much to me dismay the acorn bolts on the primary had tears of oil running of them, then I found out through looking through me olde parts manual that there should be copper washers there, but they are absent, lo. The primary and sump drain plugs both weep, there are ye drops on the floor of Rippington's garage, lo. I just bought a new primary drain plug which I'll install later and I'll try annealing the sump washer and sanding down any imperfections in the mating surface. Ol Rippington, he hopes to get it reasonably oil leak free, but agree that if you have a fun time riding it, why stress out if a bit of oil leaks, still I must attempt to fix ye leaks. 'Ol Rippingtons Tiger has leaked and or burnt about 1/2 pint of oil in 150 miles of barn burner riding, 6000 rpms she did see on the last journey so perhaps me 'ol Triumph when ridden like the dickens will use and leak a wee bit of oil, can't be helped can it??

#336843 - 10/05/10 9:43 pm Re: Oil tight Triumph... myth or reality? [Re: Bola]  
Graham Ham Offline
Private sponsor
Graham Ham  Offline
Private sponsor

South East England
Here's a good example - from last summer...

Grandad has a Tiger 90, and it has always leaked from the usual places. Last summer he did a top end rebuild, and afterwards it leaked from all the usual places.

I told him off BIG time. "You had this apart, and you DIDN'T fix the leaks?" I couldn't believe it. Grandad complained that he'd done all he could, and then He fell back on the old favourite "well they all do that, anyway"

So, I made him take that top end down again, and we did all the facings (they were crap) and we carefully 'trued' the push rod tunnel lips, and we cleaned out the rocker box 'o' ring grooves, and we made new gaskets, and we put it all back together ....

Didn't leak a drop.

Still doesn't, a year on.

Like I said, preparation, and care in assembly is all it really takes.

bigt

Good judgment comes from experience, but the most memorable experiences tend to come from bad judgment!

http://www.panther-publishing.co.uk/default.asp?contentID=18

#336851 - 10/05/10 11:03 pm Re: Oil tight Triumph... myth or reality? [Re: Graham Ham]  
RetroRod Offline
BritBike Forum member
RetroRod  Offline
BritBike Forum member

QLD, Australia
Poor old Grandad!!

I'm a G'pa too and all the young fellas pick on me as well.

Grandad is going to feel very insecure now. For years he's relied on those little oil leaks as indicators he has oil on board. What has got to rely on now? RR

'72 Bonneville
"He who praises you for what you lack wishes to take from you what you have." - Don Juan Manuel
#336854 - 10/05/10 11:37 pm Re: Oil tight Triumph... myth or reality? [Re: Graham Ham]  
JubeePrince Online content
Life member
JubeePrince  Online Content

Life member

Back on the mainland!

Can I get an Amen, brother! smile Like a paint job, it's all in the preparation....

Steve

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
#336869 - 10/06/10 1:22 am Re: Oil tight Triumph... myth or reality? [Re: MrRippington]  
shel Online content
BritBike Forum member
shel  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

ohio
Originally Posted By: MrRippington
Well I have ye olde 1970 Tiger and it leaks from many spots, but each of these leaks is ye small one. Quite wee little leaks they be. I'm in ye process of attempting to address each leak one at a time with patience and me considerable technical prowess. The leaks are perhaps even what one might call weepage. For example if I run it on the highway at 65 mph for an hour, the top of the oil tank is covered with a thin film, I guess seepage form ye oil tank cap. Much to me dismay the acorn bolts on the primary had tears of oil running of them, then I found out through looking through me olde parts manual that there should be copper washers there, but they are absent, lo. The primary and sump drain plugs both weep, there are ye drops on the floor of Rippington's garage, lo. I just bought a new primary drain plug which I'll install later and I'll try annealing the sump washer and sanding down any imperfections in the mating surface. Ol Rippington, he hopes to get it reasonably oil leak free, but agree that if you have a fun time riding it, why stress out if a bit of oil leaks, still I must attempt to fix ye leaks. 'Ol Rippingtons Tiger has leaked and or burnt about 1/2 pint of oil in 150 miles of barn burner riding, 6000 rpms she did see on the last journey so perhaps me 'ol Triumph when ridden like the dickens will use and leak a wee bit of oil, can't be helped can it??

Are you a pirate, or perhaps an 18th century vampire?

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
#336871 - 10/06/10 1:28 am Re: Oil tight Triumph... myth or reality? [Re: Graham Ham]  
shel Online content
BritBike Forum member
shel  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

ohio
Here's a good example - from last summer...

Grandad has a Tiger 90, and it has always leaked from the usual places. Last summer he did a top end rebuild, and afterwards it leaked from all the usual places.

I told him off BIG time. "You had this apart, and you DIDN'T fix the leaks?" I couldn't believe it. Grandad complained that he'd done all he could, and then He fell back on the old favourite "well they all do that, anyway"

So, I made him take that top end down again, and we did all the facings (they were crap) and we carefully 'trued' the push rod tunnel lips, and we cleaned out the rocker box 'o' ring grooves, and we made new gaskets, and we put it all back together ....

Didn't leak a drop.

Still doesn't, a year on.

bigt

mine's been oil tight for years. lately I've been getting some drips when sitting on the side stand. I suspect it's gear oil leaking down the gear box mainshaft splines because the side stand lug is bent and it leans way over.

#336872 - 10/06/10 1:30 am Re: Oil tight Triumph... myth or reality? [Re: JubeePrince]  
shel Online content
BritBike Forum member
shel  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

ohio
Originally Posted By: JubeePrince

Like a paint job, it's all in the preparation....

Steve

That's a real sore spot here Bro. it's been a bad week. I considered killing a couple dogs Monday

Last edited by shel; 10/06/10 1:33 am.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.870s Queries: 16 (0.011s) Memory: 0.9324 MB (Peak: 1.2012 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-21 02:41:27 UTC