BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Steve Erickson
Steve Erickson
The Northwoods... Michigan
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
216 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,643 guests, and 588 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
revans, Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery
9959 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 189
koan58 99
Stuart 86
NickL 73
Popular Topics(Views)
439,215 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,293
Posts632,504
Members9,959
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
#331452 - 09/03/10 1:58 pm 1964 TR6/R Resto *****  
TR6Ray Online content
BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
I've been enjoying this forum for a while, and decided I may be far enough along to start a thread on my TR6/R project. This first part is way too long and wordy, but it gives the background. I'll be more concise as I get on with it.

The sickness started about 12 years ago, when I started sitting in a different area at the Springfield IL mile races (every Memorial Day and Labor Day). I wound up always sitting next to a guy who was also a long-term dirt track fan. In conversation, he mentioned that he had an old Triumph that he was going to restore someday. He had bought the bike new in 1964, rode it till 1971, then put it into storage. There was nothing wrong with it at the time, but his wife (at the time) thought it irresponsible for a father of young children to take a chance on killing himself by riding a motorcycle!

Every year, I would ask about the progress on the old TR6. Every year it was the same story -- I'm waiting till I get my shop built. Finally, the shop was built and the story became, "I'm waiting till I get the heating system completed in my shop for winter work"

Once the heating system was installed, the shop was very nice and very comfortable, but he decided that he had waited too long. He was getting on in years, and his health was failing. He no longer was interested in the bike project. I was marginally interested and kind of jokingly told him he should sell it to me.

By this time, I was retired from my job at Caterpillar Inc. and had become a truck driver (something I had always wanted to try). One day another driver and I were talking and he told me he would dearly love to find a barn bike for a project. I told him that I knew of two barn bikes (the TR6 and a 1971 CL350 Honda that I had happened upon elsewhere), but I wouldn't tell him where they were. The reason being that I was thinking of buying them myself. From that day on, there was no peace. That driver kept warning me that someone would snatch those bikes if I didn't go get them. He said it was almost immoral to know about two barn bikes and not act on them.

Finally, one week, I got them both. After a couple of days of negotiation, the TR6 PO and I agreed on a price. I was to pick up the bike on the following Saturday. He told me that it didn't weigh much, and I could easily carry it home in my Ford Ranger pickup truck.

Of course, by Friday, there was a hot load that had to be picked up that Saturday. However, it was only a couple towns farther away than where the TR6 was, and I would have enough trailer space to load the bike as well. I offered to make the run on straight time if I could stop and load up the Triumph on the way, and the boss was happy with that. Thus, I got paid for hauling home my project bike. Here are some pics of that day in March of '09 . . .

I parked in front of the PO's house and got the trailer ready. He couldn't believe the size of my "Ford Ranger".

[Linked Image]

Here's the bike the way it came out of storage (rusty and corroded, but all there and otherwise unmolested).

[Linked Image]

The PO and a friend of his helped me tie it down. I'm the bald-headed graybeard in the black coat.

[Linked Image]

The old girl is ready to go for her first ride since about 1971.

[Linked Image]

Then I had to pick up the paying part of the load, and use up the rest of the trailer space.

[Linked Image]

On the way home, it poured down rain. Here, I had stopped to fuel up the Sky Trak en-route before delivery. Meanwhile, the TR6 was getting its first bath in many years.

[Linked Image]

I dropped off the Sky Trak, then went by my house and off-loaded the bike.

To be continued, unless you tell me to shut up!

'64 TR6R Plus some Twins from other countries (U.S., Germany, Japan)
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#331463 - 09/03/10 2:37 pm Re: 1964 TR6/R Resto [Re: TR6Ray]  
GrandPaul Online content
BritBike Forum member
GrandPaul  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Laredo (South) Texas, USA

Hey, buddy, are you sure that thing is tied down securely? looks "iffy" to me...

hee hee

Great story (so far).

Last edited by GrandPaul; 10/23/17 3:05 pm.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
#331467 - 09/03/10 2:50 pm Re: 1964 TR6/R Resto [Re: GrandPaul]  
TR6Ray Online content
BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
Hi GrandPaul,

All I can say is that it did survive the ride home.

Some of you Triumph paint experts may be wondering why I am calling this a 1964 TR6R, when its original factory paint shows it to be a Bonnie! There is a story behind that.

Back in '64, the dealer in Bloomington IL had two bikes left for sale, a TR6/R in vibrant scarlet and silver, and a Bonnie in gold and white. A customer wanted the two-carb Bonnie, but hated the paint scheme. He talked the dealer into swapping the sheet metal between the two bikes. Thus he got a new Bonnie in vibrant scarlet and silver. The PO of my bike bought the TR6/R with the Bonnie sheet metal.

Although the PO loved the gold and white, I have opted to repaint in original TR6/R colors. I have often wondered where that Bonnie is now, and whether it is still scarlet/silver.

#331468 - 09/03/10 2:51 pm Re: 1964 TR6/R Resto [Re: TR6Ray]  
bsahatch Offline
BritBike Forum member
bsahatch  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Victoria, B.C. Canada
TR6Ray,

That's a cool shot with both machines loaded on the trailer; you should frame an 8x10 for the work office.
Good luck; I look forward to future progress reports.

Rick

Trackmaster T140
69' Lightning
69' Victor
66' Royal Star - Watsonian
58' Super Rocket
54' Golden Flash
Rickman Zundapp
#331493 - 09/03/10 6:46 pm Re: 1964 TR6/R Resto [Re: TR6Ray]  
GrandPaul Online content
BritBike Forum member
GrandPaul  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Laredo (South) Texas, USA
It would have made a cool photo to get a full shot of the trailer rigged for the road with just the bike strapped on the back of that 50' flatbed.

Talk about overkill!

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
#331552 - 09/04/10 1:21 am Re: 1964 TR6/R Resto [Re: GrandPaul]  
TR6Ray Online content
BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
Once I got the bike corralled at home, I realized I needed to learn more about Triumph. I've been riding for over 40 years, but this would be my first Brit Bike. This forum and others were a great source of info, and I also bought and read several books.

[Linked Image]

I also got some help by reading Wayne Hamilton's blog.
He sent me links to an archived blog where he had restored a TR6/R just like mine.

I soon found out I needed some Whitworth wrenches before I jumped in and destroyed the original hardware set that was still intact on the old bike. I wound up getting Everest tools on-line from British Tools & Fasteners, including a thread gage, a 7-piece open end wrench set, a 7-piece box end wrench set (offset ring spanner bihex Whitworth in Brit terminology), and an 11 piece Whitworth socket set. The sockets are 6-point, and I really wanted 6 point ring wrenches, but could not find them. However, I was pleased to find that the 12 point Everest wrenches (made in India) fit my bike's hardware very precisely. The wrenches aren't highly polished chrome, but they are strong and well made.

Before the wrenches arrived, I wanted to do something just to feel more committed to the project. So, I pulled the tach and speedo and got in touch with Scott Thomas at Smiths Magnetic Instrument Repair. If you need your own gauges repaired, you can email him at: scott@smithsgagerepair.com

Scott specializes in complete restoration of SMITHS Chronometric and Magnetic Motorcycle Instruments.

Scott had done the gages for Wayne Hamilton's TR6/R and Wayne was very happy with them. Scott let me bring the gages to his shop in Arlington Heights IL, and spend the day watching him work on them. I bugged the crap out of him with questions all day, but he still managed to do me a good job.

Before . . .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

After . . .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

#331631 - 09/04/10 2:39 pm Re: 1964 TR6/R Resto [Re: TR6Ray]  
TR6Ray Online content
BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
The first thing newbies like me need is a good manual. I bought the Clymer and Haynes books, but the best thing was the Triumph DVD from Kim the CD Man. From this I printed out specific books for my bike, including owner's, parts, service, and engine overhaul manuals. I also printed out all the Triumph Service Bulletins and used them to mark up changes in my parts and service manuals. From this, I made up a three ring binder with tabs for everything.

[Linked Image]

#331634 - 09/04/10 3:08 pm Re: 1964 TR6/R Resto [Re: TR6Ray]  
TR6Ray Online content
BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
My garage was maxed out for space, so I cleared out an area in my basement storage area and set up a little work shop. This works great because it is a walk-out basement. The back door is wide enough to roll motorcycles in and out, and it is heated and air conditioned. I can go down there in the winter without wading through snow.

One of the best tools I put in there was an ancient Compaq computer that had been collecting dust on a shelf (too old and slow for internet use, but perfect for shop use). I loaded my bike manuals on there, use it to play CD music while I work, and load on bunches of pics of everything I am about to tear apart.

With all this in place, I started tearing things apart. The first to come off was the exhaust system. Both silencers were still packed with corn from when the barn mice were using them for condos.

[Linked Image]

#331646 - 09/04/10 4:19 pm Re: 1964 TR6/R Resto [Re: TR6Ray]  
TR6Ray Online content
BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
In my naivety, I thought that since the bike was put away intact, I should be able to clean, paint, or plate everything and keep it otherwise 100% original -- right? Way wrong!

First awakening came with the silencers. Mine were longer bodied than I had seen on most restored Triumphs. I found out you can re-chrome silencers if they are straight-through (no baffle). I poked a wooden dowel clear through and thought I was home free. Turned out I couldn't do that on the other side. That's because only one baffle had disintegrated into rusty dust over the years.

I came close appearance-wise by ordering a set from TJ Wassell Engineering of Staffordshire England, but still not an exact match.

[Linked Image]

My exhaust header pipes were well protected with oily grease and dirt, but they still had their share of rust and greenish corrosion under the crud . . .

[Linked Image]

#331683 - 09/04/10 6:00 pm Re: 1964 TR6/R Resto [Re: TR6Ray]  
TR6Ray Online content
BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
As I took stuff apart, I was pretty anal about laying it out in sequence and taking pictures to load on my shop computer. Later, when I took parts to be painted, powder coated, or chromed, I gave a set of pictures to the shop so they could keep track of my stuff. Here's a few examples of what stuff looked like coming apart . . .

[Linked Image]

I lost one of the air filter clips during disassembly, and the chromer lost the other one. More bits to buy!

[Linked Image]

For an accurate restoration, I guess I need to buy this decal new . . .

[Linked Image]

For Rmak and GrandPaul, here is how the choke and throttle cables were routed before I took them apart.

[Linked Image]

The oil line connections under the tank. Cleanliness is next to Godliness, right?

[Linked Image]

After the tank was out, I stuck the screen back in place and snapped a pic so my addled brain wouldn't be confused later.

[Linked Image]

Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera!

#331700 - 09/04/10 7:20 pm Re: 1964 TR6/R Resto [Re: TR6Ray]  
TR6Ray Online content
BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
One of the best things about my 46 year old Triumph is that I am only the second owner. I have stayed in touch with the original owner and try to keep him posted on my progress (or lack thereof). I am thankful that he has overcome his health problems and he is able to ride motorcycles again. I only hope to be half as tough as he is when I reach his age (if I do). We have become good friends and ride out to eat together sometimes (for now, its me on my Harley and him on his Honda). I will be seeing him at the Springfield Mile tomorrow, which is where this thread began.

Along the way, he has given me some things that I am truly grateful to have. First was the cotton jacket that he got when he bought the bike new back in '64 . . .

[Linked Image]

Here's the logo closer up . . .

[Linked Image]

Also, the logo on the back of the jacket. This dealer has been gone for a long time, but the jacket remains . . .

[Linked Image]

And a sweat shirt from the same era . . .

[Linked Image]

A closer shot of its logo . . .

[Linked Image]

And the Holy Grail. He recently was searching for a pair of earrings that his girlfriend had lost at his house. He didn't find them, but he did find (drum roll) the original fork lock insert with the key still in it!

[Linked Image]

All this stuff had been put away before my kids were born, and now my kids have kids. Stuff like this blows me away!

#331707 - 09/04/10 7:57 pm Re: 1964 TR6/R Resto [Re: TR6Ray]  
TR6Ray Online content
BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
Among the original parts I had really wanted to re-use on the bike were the tank badges. I really like the egg-crate, or garden-gate style badges. However, at some point during its stay in the barn, something had smacked into one of the badges. It did not dent the fuel tank but the diecast badge was beyond repair . . .

[Linked Image]

The new (re-pop) badges come with no paint . . .

[Linked Image]

I followed Wayne Hamilton's example and used a small artist's brush with black and gold paint. I spent an afternoon doing several coats. It made my eyes cross after a while, but I'm happy with the way they look . . .

[Linked Image]

Ed Zender, who runs Morrie's Place up in Ringwood Illinois, Northern Illinois' Oldest and Largest British Shop, showed me how to shape the back of the repop badges so they will fit the tank properly. The trouble is that I didn't consider this until I had turned in my fuel tank to be painted. I'm still going to do it, but will have to be very careful test fitting the badges so I don't scratch the new paint. I should have done it with the tank still in its original old paint. Arrrgh!

#331708 - 09/04/10 8:21 pm Re: 1964 TR6/R Resto [Re: TR6Ray]  
TR6Ray Online content
BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
Another little detail was the sidestand. I knew it was under there, but couldn't reach it with my toe. It was hidden up under the exhaust pipe. When I looked at it, I could see that the tab that is supposed to stick out past the exhaust pipe was broken off the end of the sidestand. I wasn't sure what the tab should even look like.

Ed Zender, Morrie's Place, sold me a used sidestand with the tab intact. The only problem was that someone had run a 3/8 inch drill through the mounting hole and used a hardware store bolt on it. So now I had two sidestands with two different problems. Oh well -- at least the sidestand tab was still brazed onto the bike frame! I understand that many of these are broken off due to fat riders lying down on the bike while it is on its sidestand.

I can't weld, but I have a friend who can. I made a new tab by copying the one on the stand that I bought from Morrie's Place. Then my friend cut off the broken tab and welded my new one into place. He also welded the oversize drilled hole shut.

I bought a few taps from British Tools & Fasteners and drilled and tapped a new hole. The other taps are for chasing threads elsewhere as needed. Now I have a good sidestand, and a spare for when the tab breaks off again someday . . .

[Linked Image]

And here they are with powder coat . . .

[Linked Image]

#331711 - 09/04/10 9:01 pm Re: 1964 TR6/R Resto [Re: TR6Ray]  
TR6Ray Online content
BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
All the time I was tearing things apart, I was sorting stuff into labelled sandwich baggies and storage bins labelled Cad Plating, Chrome Plating, Powder Coating, Paint Parts, and Junk Parts.

I was also accumulating a regular pirate's chest full of new parts.

[Linked Image]

Anyone thinking about this kind of project should consider this part. It is stuff most of these old bikes will need. I'm talking about -- in no apparent order -- brake shoes & springs, horn, gaiters, ammeter, cables (for tach, speedo, brake, throttle, and clutch), front fork and swinging arm bushes, stanchion tubes, chain, oil tank cap, fuel tank cap, Podtronics rectifier / regulator, rubber parts (rider and pillion pegs, kick lever, shift lever), Buchanon stainless spokes, Boyer Module (optional -- I could stay with points system), sealed wheel bearings (optional -- I could reuse my old ones), steering stem bearings and races (optional -- I could reuse the loose balls), seals of various types, and on and on.

Dang it! I hope my wife doesnt't ever read this.

#331715 - 09/04/10 9:22 pm Re: 1964 TR6/R Resto [Re: TR6Ray]  
rmak Offline
BritBike Forum member
rmak  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Ohio
The blessing of separate accounts.

#331719 - 09/04/10 10:01 pm Re: 1964 TR6/R Resto [Re: TR6Ray]  
TR6Ray Online content
BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
I was up in Ringwood IL at Morrie's Place one day early this year. By coincidence, Ed Zender had someone else's 1964 TR6/R in the back room, sitting there in freshly painted splendor -- all vibrant scarlet and silvery. The man had everything ready to go, but wanted Ed's people to do the initial startup and tuning for him. I was smitten by that bike. Ed Zender has a guy who does excellent paint work.

At the end of February, I gave Ed my sheet metal to make it look the same way as what I had seen. I told him there was no hurry, because I had so much else to do before I would need it. Also, there were a number of other people's bikes ahead of me. I saw Ed at the Davenport Swap Meet and he said my parts are looking good. Everything will be ready for pickup this coming week. I don't believe in shipping these old parts -- I'd be heartbroken if they got lost or damaged in shipment, so I will run up there and get 'em myself.

Here are some "before" pictures of what I turned in. As you can see, some aluminum roof paint blew threw the barn at some point during the bike's stay in there.

I hope to post some "after" shots later.

Front fender . . .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Rear fender . . .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Fuel tank . . .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Oil tank . . .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Side cover . . .

[Linked Image]

Taillight bracket, and headlight ears . . .

[Linked Image]

Fork tensioner . . .

[Linked Image]

#331725 - 09/04/10 10:49 pm Re: 1964 TR6/R Resto [Re: TR6Ray]  
TR6Ray Online content
BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
A month to the day after I dropped off the paint parts, I took in 75 individual piece parts to be chrome plated. I took these to Quality Chrome Plating in Sterling IL.

http://www.qualitychromeplating.com/index.html

The reason there were so many parts is that I am counting (as the chrome shop does) every bolt and nut.

I decided to try to keep my original wheel rims, exhaust headers, and a lot of other stuff that I probably could have replaced cheaper with re-pop parts. It was important to me to keep as much original content as possible.

It wasn't cheap, and it took a while to get my parts back. There were a few parts I was dissatisfied with. However, the shop redid them to my satisfaction at no additional charge, and did a very nice job in my opinion. I am very pleased with the results. They took some scabrously nasty parts and made them look like 1964 again -- maybe better. I would recommend this outfit.

Here are some "before and after" pics . . .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

#331735 - 09/05/10 12:46 am Re: 1964 TR6/R Resto [Re: TR6Ray]  
TR6Ray Online content
BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
Well, the only real bargain so far in this project has been the powdercoating work. Sorry, but I cannot tell you where it was done. It took 2 days, cost next to nothing, and came back looking great! It was sort of a "side deal" by someone who did an excellent job for me.

On a Monday morning, I took all the parts (55 pieces, I think) in and dropped them off just as they came off the bike. This means greasy, grungy, and rusty. They went through an MEK wash, shot blast, and powder. Then the powder was wiped off of wherever it did not belong (bearing race bores, etc.) prior to baking in the oven. After baking, the parts were powdered, wiped, and baked a second time.

Here are some "before & after" pics.

The front hub, done in silver powder . . .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The rear hub . . .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The torque stays . . .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The side plates . . .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The instrument plate . . .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The front fender stays . . .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The main frame . . .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And finally, a shot of all the powdered pieces that were done in gloss black . . .

[Linked Image]

#331737 - 09/05/10 1:13 am Re: 1964 TR6/R Resto [Re: TR6Ray]  
TR6Ray Online content
BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
This is a bit out of sequence, but I thought it might be helpful to someone in the same situation as I was in.

I did my teardown without benefit of a bike table or bike lift. I have a motorcycle frame jack, but it seemed like more trouble than it was worth to carry it down from the garage. I just used a mechanic's creeper stool and worked the bike as it sat on the floor . . .

[Linked Image]

After it was mostly apart, I needed some way to work on the rear half. The bike was on the center stand and back wheel. If I rocked the front of the bike down, the center stand wanted to sping into the "up" position. I fixed that with an old tie-down strap . . .

[Linked Image]

Next I needed some kind of "sky hook" to hold up the back end. I remembered an old come-along I had stored away, so I rigged a piece of black iron pipe between some floor joists to hook it onto. I wasn't planning to lift much weight, and whatever I lifted was shared between two joists. (Coincidentally, my wife's recliner sits in the living room directly above where I installed the pipe, but she doesn't weigh much either, hee hee) . . .

[Linked Image]

With the rear end suspended, and the bike balanced on the centerstand, it was easy to finish the job . . .

[Linked Image]

#331751 - 09/05/10 2:32 am Re: 1964 TR6/R Resto [Re: TR6Ray]  
TR6Ray Online content
BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
That's about caught up to where I am now. My next step is hardware, which has bothered me for some time now. I have been told that if you clean up your old hardware with a wire wheel, and then have it white cadmium plated, it will have black streaks in the plating. It needs to be bead blasted or cleaned in a vibratory polisher instead.

I thought for a long time about getting a bead blasting cabinet. The problem is lack of space. I also don't even have an air compressor, which is kind of stupid. I know you need a compressor that will keep up with a minimum of 20 cf/m at 90 psi or better. I have room for a big compressor, but after this project, a smaller, cheaper compressor would do whatever I need. I would probably rarely if ever use the bead blast cabinet again, even if I had a place for it.

I bought a vibratory polisher at Harbor Freight, but I didn't have the patience for it.

Finally I found out that a motorcycle friend (the best kind of friend to have) has a big blast cabinet, dust collector, and air compressor setup that he would let me use. Last week, I blasted every bolt, nut, washer, and lock washer individually. Now the trick is to get it plated before it rusts again.

I figure there is about 14 lbs of stuff to plate, and GrandPaul posted that Burbank Plating has a 166 lb minimum flat rate.

I did have everything sorted and labelled, but I will have to mix it all together to get it plated. Guess I'll take picture of each baggie and sort it out later.

[Linked Image]

The other problem is that a lot of the bolt heads are badly pitted. I may get it all plated anyway and replace it later if I decide to. Or, I could keep it for "patina". I know I can buy new hardware, but I haven't seen it advertised with white cadmium on it.

#331802 - 09/05/10 11:47 am Re: 1964 TR6/R Resto [Re: TR6Ray]  
T140V-Rich Offline
BritBike Forum member
T140V-Rich  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Sunny South Carolina, (US)
Great story, Ray. Enjoyed every bit. Shame the PO waited until he was in poor health to do something with the bike. But it looks as if you have a very nice restoration example on your hands.

The bike is the year I was born. I recognized those colors immediately, although I did think it a Bonnie initially.

Looks like great work you've already done. I'll be watching for more posts on your work, if you have time to make more. I'm a few steps behind you in that I'm still stripping the frame's paint on my dad's 1973 Bonnie.

Best of luck in bringing it back. Enjoyed it!

Richard

1977 T-140V
1973 T-140V
2011 Bonneville SE
Author of "Relics and Reminiscing."
#332009 - 09/06/10 4:03 pm Re: 1964 TR6/R Resto [Re: T140V-Rich]  
TR6Ray Online content
BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
Thanks for the kind words, Rich; I wasn't sure anyone would be interested in what I'm doing, because its mainly just a cleanup of an already complete bike. It certainly doesn't take a rocket scientist to do what I'm doing. Maybe another novice like myself can benefit from what I've done to "climb the learning curve" to this point.

Happily, I saw the PO yesterday at the races, and he is getting around quite well and enjoying life once again .

You mentioned you were born the same year as my bike. Funny how I have started to use that as a yardstick to put other events into perspective. It drives my wife nuts. For example, 1964 is the year my brother moved into his house. Yesterday we were talking about Chris Carr (I'm not one of his fans, but must admit he still has a lot of talent) getting on in years -- he was born three years after my bike, and the PO still had the old TR6 rolling down the road back then.

Re: paint color -- I debated for a long time whether to keep the Bonnie color, since that was what was on the TR6 when it left the dealership initially. I might have done that, if the factory had used the Burnished gold / Alaskan white / Blue pinstripe scheme they came up with in the following year (1965). For an excellent example, see Rmak's project bike.

However, at the risk of offending someone, the lower-gloss 1964 Bonnie gold / white / black pinstripe didn't really grab me. Once I saw a 1964 TR6 in Vibrant scarlet / Silver / Gold pinstripe, I was hooked -- decision over!

Hope to have some pics of my painted sheet metal on here later this week.

#332013 - 09/06/10 4:26 pm Re: 1964 TR6/R Resto [Re: TR6Ray]  
shel Online content
BritBike Forum member
shel  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

ohio
Ray, a lot of us love to follow these sort of threads but don't comment much. Keep posting and keep up the good work. I'm sure she'll be a real beauty when she's finished.

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
#332025 - 09/06/10 5:07 pm Re: 1964 TR6/R Resto [Re: TR6Ray]  
BikeVice Offline
BritBike Forum member
BikeVice  Offline
BritBike Forum member

San Rafael, Ca.

Great thread Ray, please keep it going. For smaller batches of Cadmium plating, try Aero Propeller in Colorado:

http://www.aeropropeller.com/

They plated 27 Lbs. of T140 hardware for me last year. The cost was about $175.00.

Eric

1971 T120RV (R.I.P.)
1973 T140V/TR7
1993 Ducati 900 SS
#332033 - 09/06/10 5:52 pm Re: 1964 TR6/R Resto [Re: TR6Ray]  
TR6Ray Online content
BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
BikeVice,

You are sure to get me in big trouble with my wife! I checked your link on aeropropeller and found out they are less than 1,000 miles from my house. I could throw my hardware in a saddlebag (pannier for the Brits on here) and scoot on out there. They are right by Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park, and I could visit Baxter Cycle on the way out there. Hmmmmm!

Thanks for the tip!

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  Richrd 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.533s Queries: 16 (0.013s) Memory: 1.0422 MB (Peak: 1.4508 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-23 22:26:43 UTC