BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
sbolton
sbolton
Flint, Michigan
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
219 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,630 guests, and 586 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
revans, Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery
9959 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 191
koan58 99
Stuart 86
NickL 73
Popular Topics(Views)
439,137 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,293
Posts632,499
Members9,959
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#3302 - 06/30/05 6:34 pm BSA 441 Shooting star. Pix/movie/questions.  
Silver Offline
BritBike Forum
Silver  Offline
BritBike Forum

Tulsa, OK
Hi, recently I have come into ownership of a BSA 441 Shooting star. Not sure on the year. Currently I have her running but she will not idle, was wondering if I could mess with the single screw on the carb to adjust the idle or if there is somewhere else I need to adjust it? I have flushed the tank when I first got her, she has new oil, and some other things I have done, just general maintenence.

Also, she's not road worthy and I think she has the original tires on her. Goodyear's made in Great Britain. Before she is street worthy I need new rubber, the brakes adjusted/replaced maybe, a fork fixed that is leaking, and I think a gasket is leaking oil out of the shifter box. After that, time to go to the tag office and dicker about what it's going to cost being that she has no title either. After she's road worthy, then comes the cosmetic side of things, and polishing her up, getting her painted and whatnot. I have not gotten a manual yet, any ideas on some good beginner manuals for BSA's???

Here are some pictures, and a video at the end.

Right side.

Front.

Left side.

Rear.

Right close up of tank. It's got some dings. Also it's a fiberglass tank so getting repainted close to original is going to be a ***** I think. Any ideas on that? If not I'll just go with regular red and white.

Right side of engine. Note it's a british bike so the shifter is on this side. Also it's got an oil leak that I believe is coming from the gasket around the shifter plate(not sure what this is called) so I"m going to have to investigate that.

Right side of rear tire. I am going to have to find a washer and reattach that shock. Shouldn't be too big of an issue. Also I think I'm going to go with new rubber as well. These tires still have air in them but they're ooooooooollllldddd. Also going to have to find another right rear peg cover, hopefully this I can grab in a salvage yard or something.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#3303 - 06/30/05 6:35 pm Re: BSA 441 Shooting star. Pix/movie/questions.  
Silver Offline
BritBike Forum
Silver  Offline
BritBike Forum

Tulsa, OK
Center view. I have/just lost the rubber piece that's all chewed to ****ing **** around the speedo, I had it earlier but now I lost it, going to run back down to my friends and see if I can find it again. So that's getting replaced, possibly today. Bars are a little off, going to have to straighten those up a bit. Possibly happening today as well.

Left side of the tank. Note, it does have new BSA emblems.

Left rear. Yeah, gonna have to get that painted. Apparently the side panels are really hard to find. I'm also going to pull the battery which resides behind the blue panel and see if I can charge it.

Left side engine.

Tank. This is also coming off today and getting flushed, got a bunch of **** in it or something.Going to have to get new emblems as well. Also, check the pegs, the left peg is behind the right peg. Not sure if it's supposed to be like this or not. Also the left peg I"m going to have to tighten up as it's loose as ****.

A video of me kick starting her and my wife laughing a lot as it takes me a bit. I started her before the video in 3 kicks, sure enough when the camera turns on, it takes forever. Gah.

http://picapic.net/media/6X8Q3QP84Q8GV4

Any tips, info, whatever would be amazing, thank you. smile

#3304 - 06/30/05 6:57 pm Re: BSA 441 Shooting star. Pix/movie/questions.  
Alex Offline
BritBike Forum member
Alex  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Seattle
Get ye a shop manual, a parts book and either a clymer or haynes manual. These are not flawless or perfect, but essential equipment for beginners and experts alike.

Also, take advantage of the search feature on this forum. There's lots of good info there. And don't be afraid to ask questions here. Despite a few impatient cermudgeons that will spank you for being a newbie, most everyone here is very receptive.

Congrats on your purchase, that's a VERY cool bike.

Cheers, beerchug

-alex

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.
#3305 - 07/01/05 1:46 am Re: BSA 441 Shooting star. Pix/movie/questions.  
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Carteret, NC
I believe your bike is a 1968 B44 Shooting Star. The color on the tanks is pretty close to the right color. The blue panel probably came off a 68 B25. That was their color. I owned a 68 b25 and still own a 68 B44 Shooting Star. The mumber on the engine and frame (if they match will tell you the year. This info is available on this site. All the parts you mentioned are readily available from the parts suppliers listed on this site. Just paint that blue side panel to match the red and it will look just fine. Do get the manuals that Alex suggested.
Mr Mike

#3306 - 07/01/05 9:40 am Re: BSA 441 Shooting star. Pix/movie/questions.  
Rocky Offline
BritBike Forum
Rocky  Offline
BritBike Forum

Nova Scotia, Canada
You did an excellent job of posting your message, Silver. Nice thumbnails and video.
My congrats too on the find.
I have a 1967 Victor Roadster and your bike looks identical to mine - but then they didn't change much until 1969 when a steel tank was fitted.
The way you easily kicked it over appears to me that you don't have much compression. You could never kick my bike over like that without cycling it over TDC with the decompression lever and then giving it a good stomp.
The frame and engine numbers for 1967 started with B44R101; 1968 was B44B101. In 1969 they changed to a lettering/number system such as AC101 for example.
Good advice also from Alex. I would add a Rupert Ratio engine manual to the list. You can never have too much reference material.
Hope this helps and good luck with the restoration. It's always nice to start with a complete bike that runs.

Rocky

#3307 - 07/02/05 2:26 pm Re: BSA 441 Shooting star. Pix/movie/questions.  
Brian_Dallas_TX Offline
BritBike Forum member
Brian_Dallas_TX  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Dallas, TX
Looks like your gonna have a cool ride! Get the manuals, including the Rupert book, expensive but worth the $. Check eBay for some of the misc parts like the footpeg rubbers. I know that you are a bit further north but check out www.ntnoa.org
I would have to agree with the compression statement above, b/c my B40 which is almost 100cc smaller can't be kicked that easily. Worth doing a quick check on for peace of mind.

Drove through OKC this past week and saw a blue and white Bonny about a '70 model, so there are some BB's in your neck of the woods. Good luck!

beerchug

Brian

Brian
'64 B40T Enduro Star '49 AJS 18CS
'65 A65L/R '71 BMW R75/5
'71 B25T '02 Bonnie
'63 A10 SR
'47 James ML 125
#3308 - 07/02/05 3:06 pm Re: BSA 441 Shooting star. Pix/movie/questions.  
kommando Online content
kommando  Online Content

Scotland
Agree with the comments ref the compression, probably the valves just need a regrind but when you get the compression back the next time you kick it over use a good pair of boots with thick soles, it will still hurt when it kicks back but you will still be able to walk indoors to recuperate wink .

#3309 - 07/02/05 11:49 pm Re: BSA 441 Shooting star. Pix/movie/questions.  
JonH Offline
BritBike Forum member
JonH  Offline
BritBike Forum member

big ol' Atlantic sandbar
Welcome to the unit singles club! You've already had some good advice from the usual suspects and I'd add, move the compression release up the left bar so you can grab it as a mechanical kill switch. Darn oval Amals...

Oh, and less right wrist action on kickover will keep the embarrassing SO laughs to a minimum. Kudos to your good humor for it. Doing the film thing is asking for trouble (grin).

#3310 - 07/03/05 12:03 am Re: BSA 441 Shooting star. Pix/movie/questions.  
Silver Offline
BritBike Forum
Silver  Offline
BritBike Forum

Tulsa, OK
Excellent advice, thank you all. That's also awesome on the compression release. This might be heresy to some of the people on here, but I was thinking about getting a straight bar for the handlebars, just for uniqueness. Currently I have dialed in the tuneing screws and I can kick start her and she'll idle pretty good. Might have to tweak that a bit more. I have purchased some 000 steel wool and going to start going over the crome as well as going over the aluminum with a buffer and polish then a finishing polish that just rocks and will go on over both the crome and the aluminum parts. Will post pictures of the progression, right now my drill is still charging.

Future stuff, new tires, new brakes or brake adjustment at the very least, I need to get the shocks checked as well, as the front shocks look like they have had a leak and currently they have no play whatsoever in them, won't bounce up and down at all. On the kickstarting thing, what I have found is that you don't have to just romp on it like you're trying to kickstart some beast, she takes better to holding in the compression lever and releasing it as you do a smooth kick down. Or that's what's working for me at least. I can normally get her started within 5 kicks or so, if not 1 or 2 with this method. It's finesse, not power that tickles this one's trigger. Also need to get a gasket kit so that I can redo all those, not sure if I'm going to tackle that myself or have it done in a shop.

Again, thanks for all the advice. For now, I will be buffing and polishing until I get enough funds to do the tires, brakes, and shocks so that she is road worthy(kinda). Lot's to do, hopefully will have fun doing all of it smile

Cheers.

edit: Brian, if you're ever in the Tulsa area, let me know you can roll by and check it out smile

#3311 - 07/03/05 2:47 am Re: BSA 441 Shooting star. Pix/movie/questions.  
Will S. Offline
Sponsor Member
Will S.  Offline
Sponsor Member

San Diego, CA
Another vote for the Rupert Ratio book! bigt Check out the BSA Owners Club No. California website, they sell it for $25 including shipping, best price I've seen.

Will S.
BSAs: '66 & '69 Lightning
Triumphs: '68 TR6R, '68 Bonneville, '73 TR7, '55 6T
'71 Norton Commando

www.britironsd.com
#3312 - 07/03/05 1:48 pm Re: BSA 441 Shooting star. Pix/movie/questions.  
xto Offline
BritBike Forum member
xto  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Lopez Island, WA
Silver: All the above information is good stuff, and the folks on this board are the greatest. I've been lurkin' around here for a couple of years and couldn't have kept my B44b on the road w/o their advice and suggestions.
As for manuals, they all are available through this website, the C.D.'s are really the way to go. Rupert Ratios guide to unit singles is pretty much the best currently available guide and is also available through the drop downs at the top of this forum. If you purchase through this board a % goes to BritBike .com and helps keep the forum funded and rolling.
Gaskets: IMHO the best gaskets on the market are avail. from 441steve (board member) through his website "britgaskets.com" Check out his stuff-he's got a growing inventory of goodies for unit singles.
What part of T-town do you live in? I lived there (Florence Place, So. Cincinnatti& 18th, 11th & Peoria{shudder} just to mention a few of the spots) for near 10 years. The ex still cuts hair out @ Chevy Chase.
Good luck and enjoy yer new toy!
xto

xto
73 b50 streeteater
59 a10 project
#3313 - 07/03/05 3:32 pm Re: BSA 441 Shooting star. Pix/movie/questions.  
Brian_Dallas_TX Offline
BritBike Forum member
Brian_Dallas_TX  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Dallas, TX
Silver-

I have family that lives in Tulsa, so I usually get there once a year on average. Same thing for ya if you make it to BIG D.

Will-

Wish I had checked the BSAOCNC site, $25 is a steal. Think I paid $45-50, but worth every penny.

Happy 4th ALL!!

Brian

Brian
'64 B40T Enduro Star '49 AJS 18CS
'65 A65L/R '71 BMW R75/5
'71 B25T '02 Bonnie
'63 A10 SR
'47 James ML 125
#3314 - 07/09/05 11:58 pm Re: BSA 441 Shooting star. Pix/movie/questions.  
Silver Offline
BritBike Forum
Silver  Offline
BritBike Forum

Tulsa, OK
Mostly just buffing now.

This is after, I can't find my before picture. mad Still working on it, slowly but surely.

edit: This is the other side, shows how gunky it was.

This is what I'm doing till I have money to get her in the shop, new rubber, some shock work, front rim straightened.

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.863s Queries: 14 (0.091s) Memory: 0.8962 MB (Peak: 1.1205 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-23 20:11:14 UTC