BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
halmc
halmc
Tallahassee, FL
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
51 registered members (Adam M.), 245 guests, and 484 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Tacet, Joe Bruney, Chip, Froger, Calthorpe
10413 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 83
Rohan 81
Triless 80
reverb 76
Stuart 72
Popular Topics(Views)
703,383 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,265
Posts664,585
Members10,413
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
chrome plate removal from aluminum engine covers #327194
08/09/10 1:13 am
08/09/10 1:13 am
Southeast Usa
B
Bigtwin Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Bigtwin  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
B

Southeast Usa
Hello!
Any experience out there regarding the best way to strip chrome plate from aluminum engine covers? Corrosion has blistered the surface & some peeling has started. Is it possible for a chrome shop to reverse the process or are we talking lots of sanding, blasting, & elbow grease? any ideas, folks?

Thanks,

Bigtwin

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: chrome plate removal from aluminum engine covers [Re: Bigtwin] #327196
08/09/10 1:28 am
08/09/10 1:28 am
Atlanta, Georgia
Atlanta Bonnie Offline
BritBike Forum member
Atlanta Bonnie  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Atlanta, Georgia
When I restored my 68 Bonnie, I had a few items re-chromed.

The shop also un-chromed several parts at "no charge" that were not originally chromed, but had been over the years and were looking pretty rough. Took 30 minutes or so in their tank. Aluminum will need a good polish after that process though.

Bruce

Re: chrome plate removal from aluminum engine covers [Re: Atlanta Bonnie] #327211
08/09/10 5:35 am
08/09/10 5:35 am
NY
OriginalScott Offline
BritBike Forum member
OriginalScott  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NY
It is pretty inexpensive and any chrome shop should be able to do it. They dip it into an electricaly charged bath and the old chrome melts off.
Scott

Re: chrome plate removal from aluminum engine covers [Re: OriginalScott] #327294
08/09/10 4:35 pm
08/09/10 4:35 pm
Lyons, NY
B
Britishtools Offline

BritBike Forum member
Britishtools  Offline

BritBike Forum member
B

Lyons, NY
Reverse chrome plating is exactly that...

A chrome plating shop uses the same baths but just reverses the charge.

You can also bead blast chrome off but it is very difficult and takes a long time.

Re: chrome plate removal from aluminum engine covers [Re: Britishtools] #327301
08/09/10 4:54 pm
08/09/10 4:54 pm
Michigan, USA
BONZO R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
BONZO R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

Michigan, USA
I have had a few things dechromed at the plater that does my chroming . When I got the pieces back they were pretty nasty looking with a sorta black oxidation in some areas , I would recomend having the plater polish them when they are finished unless you enjoy that type of work .

FWIW-BONZO

Re: chrome plate removal from aluminum engine covers [Re: BONZO R.I.P.] #327304
08/09/10 5:07 pm
08/09/10 5:07 pm
Lyons, NY
B
Britishtools Offline

BritBike Forum member
Britishtools  Offline

BritBike Forum member
B

Lyons, NY
Originally Posted By: BONZO
I have had a few things dechromed at the plater that does my chroming . When I got the pieces back they were pretty nasty looking with a sorta black oxidation in some areas , I would recomend having the plater polish them when they are finished unless you enjoy that type of work .

FWIW-BONZO

I think it is also important for people to know that with regards to true, triple chrome plating, they will be left with nicket plated parts if they choose to reverse plate the chrome off.

Re: chrome plate removal from aluminum engine covers [Re: Britishtools] #328446
08/16/10 6:01 pm
08/16/10 6:01 pm
Southeast Usa
B
Bigtwin Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Bigtwin  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
B

Southeast Usa
Hi, folks!
Thanks for the input! I have not been to the chrome shop for de-chroming...yet, since the nearest one is easily 60 miles away. However, that might make the most sense timewise. I spent a couple of hours bead blasting, sanding, & otherwise improvising methods to strip the plating. After all this effort I am just now down to the copper with the dark blotches remaining where corrosion had penetrated and blistered under the plating. I would hope the chrome shop could just as easily reverse the nickle and then the copper process. So, as an FYI, this has been a very time consuming process. Once through the copper, I hope a good buffing will get the black spots out...or maybe something like Brasso or some similar tarnish remover. Geesh! Thanks again for the input!

Bigtwin

Re: chrome plate removal from aluminum engine covers [Re: Bigtwin] #328496
08/16/10 10:40 pm
08/16/10 10:40 pm
Scotland
S
Stuart Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S

Scotland
Hi,

Originally Posted By: Bigtwin
I have not been to the chrome shop for de-chroming...yet, since the nearest one is easily 60 miles away. However, that might make the most sense timewise.

Ime, it would.

1. The copper and nickel under good chrome is deposited on an article in exactly the same way as the chrome, so of course a chromer can remove them by reversing the process.

2. Trying to bead-blast off chrome just breaks up the beads and bu**ers the machine. Been there, done that, ... Not to mention imho it's a bad idea to bead-blast relatively soft sand-cast alloy, especially if it has oilways in it.

3. The basis and cost of good plating isn't the plating but the quality of the polishing beforehand. Therefore, any good chromer will have good polishing facilities, capable of removing anything in minutes that'd take you hours with Brasso or whatever.

Hth.

Regards,

Re: chrome plate removal from aluminum engine covers [Re: Stuart] #328594
08/17/10 1:24 pm
08/17/10 1:24 pm
Southeast Usa
B
Bigtwin Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Bigtwin  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
B

Southeast Usa
Hi & thanks!
Looks like a road trip is in order! Fortunately, I am only dealing with primary covers at the moment, so no oil passages to get clogged. On the other hand, I also have some timing covers with paassages , pumps, bushings & the like to be done. Bead blasting is definitely out of the question for those. I hadn't pondered the chrome cracking up the beads & diminishing the effectiveness of the machine! Curse the folks who chromed these bits in the first place!!! Oops! That is probably a bit uncharitable, so better to say, curse the high humidity environment around here! Thanks for the response!

Bigtwin

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership