BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
taem
taem
Vermont
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
rudi, Derek, Psychorider, Shedengineering, Shayne Brown
10860 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 172
reverb 64
DavidP 63
NickL 59
Popular Topics(Views)
1,005,930 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,747
Posts679,990
Members10,860
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
34 registered members (Alan_nc), 376 guests, and 645 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Help with identification - Interceptor #317300 06/06/10 9:51 pm
Al Eckstadt Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
I don't know where to start. The beginning I guess... Several years ago a coworker says to me, "Al you're into British bikes aren't you?" He just got a Royal Enfield from his father-in-law's barn. Paid $150 for it. After talking to him we determined it was an Interceptor. I gave him some photocopied atricles on the bike to encourage him to fix it up. After he left the company we were working for I would still see him and say "How's that Enfield coming?" "Haven't done anything with it". Well I ran into him two weeks ago and asked him again. This time he asked if I wanted to buy it. Wow! OK, I call you and we'll get together. After a discussion with the chief financial officer (Mrs. Eckstadt) I got the OK to seriously look at it AND if it was under $500 I could bring it home. I went to see it yesterday and I was kind of stunned because it was not the way I pictured it in my mind. The bike was covered in crud and partly disassembled. Sort of a basket case - literally with a bunch of small parts in a little wicker basket. He wanted $400, I asked if he would take less and he said 300 would be OK. As bad condition as it was I figured I can't lose at that price even if it was sold for parts. I brought it home that morning. I got a bucket and soap and started scrubbing the mud and pig slop off it. (oh man it smelled BAD and still isn't too fresh). I though there would be a lot of missing stuff but so far (besides nuts and bolts I haven't counted) the only missing piece is the pivot in the rear brake lever. I thought the side covers were missing but I found a parts catalog online and looked at pictures and they didn't have side covers. Sooo..... All I know for sure is it is around a 1967 Series 1. Can anyone tell me more from the numbers and the photo. There is a small photo album on Photobucket: http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q177/tamalecks/Royal%20Enfield%20Interceptor/ Thanks. Al. Engine number YC16990, Frame 7332C, Gearbox AGZ2866 [Linked Image]

Al Eckstadt
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Help with identification - Interceptor [Re: Al Eckstadt] #317324 06/07/10 2:39 am
C
Chris Overton Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
C
Al,
You have a Series 1A produced February 1967 or thereabouts. The Redditch factory had just closed and the Westwood factory was gearing up to produce entire machines, not just the engines. The YC engines are upgraded from the Series 1 by having a screen on each oil pump, 12V w/coil ignition instead of magneto.... Go to www.ozemate.com/interceptor, hit the Knowledge Base link, and look for the Interceptor Development papers. The associated web forum [email protected] is worthwhile too.

There is no C in the 5 numeral frame number. It must be a zero or a 6 mis-stamped. Please tell me which. I am also curious to know the length of the seat pan. When you get into the Development papers you will recognize I wrote them and understand why that is important information. For some reason the bikes I know from that era have all lost their original seats.

You are one lucky guy. A good barn find at a bargain price. Tell me if you would like to double your money!

Next weekend I will be in England at the factory site. A rally put on by former employees. They will be pleased to know another one has turned up. You should come! Rushing to pack right now, or I would write more. Later!

Chris Overton
Rossland BC

Re: Help with identification - Interceptor [Re: Chris Overton] #317329 06/07/10 2:54 am
Al Eckstadt Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Chris, I recognized your name from the searching I've done so far. When you get back I'll have the frame number checked. And you can answer this question. What is the difference and how can one tell if you have a GP, GT or TT. I saw a '66 ad that has GT and TT models and the parts book on Hitchcock's site list GP7 and TT7 models. Thanks. Al.

Al Eckstadt
Re: Help with identification - Interceptor [Re: Chris Overton] #317330 06/07/10 2:56 am
C
Chris Overton Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
C
Al,
The factory produced 175 or so 1A's stamped as YC, then switched to 1A nnn on the engine with matching nnn on the frame. You have the original mufflers which were said to be loud. Try rubbing a ball of aluminum foil over the rusty tank. Maybe a little WD40 to wash off the mess. People report amazing results. What is the width of the rear fender?
Chris

Re: Help with identification - Interceptor [Re: Chris Overton] #317331 06/07/10 3:10 am
C
Chris Overton Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
C
Al, our messages are crossing. You have a TT7 model. The ads featured "Factory Customized" models. What we are finding is that every TT7 bike has a GP7 feature, such as shrouded shocks, level exhaust instead of upswept, painted tank with chrome panels instead of all chrome. So far yours is the first I cannot see a GP7 feature. Hence the question on fender width. I have a theory the GP7 did not sell so well and they had extra parts....

Re: Help with identification - Interceptor [Re: Chris Overton] #317351 06/07/10 10:19 am
O
obsolete Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
O
Al Great find . I have and ride a MK 1A and have been told there were few of these beasts built . Chris would know better , maybe he has a number I have been told about 1700 of them . Mine would be later than yours as it has the 1a stamping .
Rally in Penn. is coming up fast . I have my passport now . John

1959 Constellation
1968 MK 1A Interceptor
1960 Pashley
1958 Crusader
1962 Super Five
1967 Continental GT
1959 Big Head Fury/Westerner
195? 500 Bullet Woodsman/Westerner ? #6655
1950 Model RE
1946 Model RE
1950 Model G
1955 250 Clipper
Re: Help with identification - Interceptor [Re: obsolete] #317355 06/07/10 10:59 am
Don Leaming Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
A bike like this is a real find! An easy resto because of all the hard to find ORIGINAL sheet metal body parts.
An easy way to wash down a grimy bike, especially the hard to reach wheel and engine and tranny areas is to soak it down well with that foamy tire spray-on cleaner. Let it soak in for a minute or two and then hose it off. Try to stay away, or cover the carb mouths and distributor with plastic wrap or bags.
You will find this bike makes a great reliable and comfortable daily rider.
Have fun!
Don

1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor
1969 Triumph Tiger 650
Re: Help with identification - Interceptor [Re: Don Leaming] #317407 06/07/10 4:22 pm
Al Eckstadt Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Thanks for all the help and comments. The frame number must be 73320. The zero is incomplete in the middle on both sides but I don't think it would be any other number. The seat pan length is 25 inches. The rear fender is about 4 3/4" wide - must be the 4 1/2" GP fender. I noticed the note about the head steady part 45337a; these have the bulge on the vertical section. I guess I'm going to see if it will hold oil, since there's nothing showing on the stick. The motor has compression. Also going to see if I can get it to spark. There's no gas in it of course. Starting the motor is a ways off but that's what I hope to accomplish eventually. Today I will also put the front wheel on the right way - it's in backwards. Have today off - starting a new job tomorrow. Thanks. Al.

Al Eckstadt
Re: Help with identification - Interceptor [Re: Al Eckstadt] #317559 06/08/10 12:55 pm
G
George Elston Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
G
Al
Great find. This is one for the books. 300 dollars for a complete anything is OK in my book. Coincidentally I just picked up " The Vicent in the barn" about guys finding things like this.
Thanks for the link to the club. Had stumbled across it some time ago but forgotten about it. I'm just west of Amsterdam . Maybe I could hook up with a couple of you guys sometime for a Sunday ride .
Keep us posted on your progress. I'm sure you will love it when it's a runner.

57 Woodsman
64 Interceptor
58 Trailblazer
59 Constellation
64 500 Sport twin
61 Hornet

2001 W650
1966 W1

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership