BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
58a10
58a10
texas
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
220 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,641 guests, and 556 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
revans, Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery
9959 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 191
koan58 99
Stuart 86
NickL 73
Popular Topics(Views)
439,034 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,292
Posts632,463
Members9,959
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#313757 - 05/17/10 10:08 am “I’m forever blowing bubbles!” - a Spider cartoon  
Grandad Online content
BritBike Forum member
Grandad  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

The Crypt - South East England

Our Mate Mr Ed, loves buying old motorcycle magazines, so he couldn’t resist picking up a few at last Saturday’s Kempton Park auto jumble. On the way back to East Kent in the car his voice kept chirping up from the back seat with fettling tips from several 1950’s editions.
Some of them were really barmy and had us falling around with laughter (not a wise thing to do on the dreaded M25 London Orbital motorway!).

Of the many zany tips the prize surely must go to this one, which I summarise below:

“To find top dead centre (TDC) first take an old spark plug and remove the ceramic part. Then plug the metal base with plastocene (modelling clay) and make a small hole in the centre by means of a nail or rod. Screw the plug base back into the head and take some soapy water and form a soap bubble on top of the hole in the plastocene. Turn the engine and as the piston rises the bubble will inflate. Keep turning the engine gently until the bubble reaches maximum size - you are now at TDC. If you go past TDC the bubble will start shrinking again.”

Spider saw a chance here for a cartoon so here goes:

--------------------------------

Don't nail that lid down - I'm still bloomin' breathing !!
Click here to see SPIDER cartoons!
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#313784 - 05/17/10 2:10 pm Re: “I’m forever blowing bubbles!” - a Spider cartoon [Re: Grandad]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
That trick, as well as the one where you screw a little whistle into the plug hole, and raise the piston till it stops whistling and then you're at TDC .....

Assumes that your old nail has enough compression left to BLOW a soap bubble or a whistle!

Sometimes they don't but still have a lot of good miles left. No, I think I'll keep on using a soda straw ...

Lannis

OK, I admit it, I'm addicted to brake fluid.

But I can stop any time I want.
#313861 - 05/17/10 8:18 pm Re: “I’m forever blowing bubbles!” - a Spider cartoon [Re: Lannis]  
Grandad Online content
BritBike Forum member
Grandad  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

The Crypt - South East England
Hey Lannis,
How does your 'soda straw' method cope on machines where the spark plug is angled in from the non vertical position?

The whistle method sounds just as barmy as the soap bubble method. How one would accurately set the timing with either of these makes the mind boggle! The fact that the magazine even published the bubble method is a bit worrying! Mind you, after listening to some of the other fettling gems from the same source I'm not really surprised.

--------------------------------

Don't nail that lid down - I'm still bloomin' breathing !!
Click here to see SPIDER cartoons!
#314381 - 05/20/10 12:02 pm Re: “I’m forever blowing bubbles!” - a Spider cartoon [Re: Grandad]  
snowbeard Offline
BritBike Forum member
snowbeard  Offline
BritBike Forum member

US citizen in Lisbon, Portugal
funny, I used a similar idea to know the compression stroke, if not the actual TDC. an old rubber glove finger over the plug body with a hole in the tip, it would inflate on the compression stroke, and deflate after. I had a small ring clamped to the oil feed on the A10 to hold the stick straight on the angled plug hole.

=================
/1957 BSA A10 Spitfire Scrambler (in a friend's shed)
/1960 BSA Super Rocket Basket Case (in the attic!)
/1987 BMW K100LT nekkid
#322518 - 07/11/10 6:45 pm Re: “I’m forever blowing bubbles!” - a Spider cartoon [Re: snowbeard]  
Ed Johnson Offline
BritBike Forum member
Ed Johnson  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Satellite Beach, Florida 32937...
A piece of 5/16" fuel line works great and requires less preparation.
Ed J.

Eddy55W
1964 Bonneville
1992 Bonneville
2001 Trophy

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.060s Queries: 15 (0.005s) Memory: 0.8183 MB (Peak: 0.9757 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-23 16:48:47 UTC