BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor
Shout Box

Featured Member
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Who's Online
88 registered (BobM, gavin eisler, OBXMike, Jerry Roy, quinten, Thunderbutt, Lannis, T140V-Rich, Triless, Daryl D, shel, franko, BikeVice, jfligg, JBMorris, Jon W. Whitley, dpkreuze, bon, Rusty Goose, ricochetrider, JubeePrince, doolittledon, kevin, Deadstiffcatt, Mark Z, HawaiianTiger, Bob Buchanan, Rickman, Gordon Gray, htown, peter berry, RGSROB, Steve Erickson, Fullauto, Mr Mike, HeyWilly, Rich B, Dave T, Alan_nc, C.B.S, YetAnotherDave, Doc_dup1, fettlefart, Stuart, CaptainPugwash, chaterlea25, zoe, Adam M., Old Cafe Racer, penna-john, TR6Ray, Magnetoman, Pete R, Hambone, dave thomas, P Hare, Pete Suchawreck, kurt fischer, holdfastgreg, Hillbilly bike, L.A.B., russrudolph, jhays79, paulberry, ATEN, John Healy, mac, NickL, ChrisX, Alex, tiumphdave, Paula C. Buls, craig, HughdeMann, Rohan, Old Coastie, Bob Elwin, bsatrinor, chuckmn, desco, DBDBrian, Janet, GS DAVE, Blown Income, jimmymckenna, JER.Hill, triton thrasher, RobJP), 469 Guests and 170 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
pbogle907, p400, Steve J., Vic, Spdtrpl
8081 Registered Users
Forum Stats
8081 Members
33 Forums
53550 Topics
497213 Posts

Max Online: 1804 @ 03/01/11 6:54 pm
Top Posters
RF Whatley 10029
John Healy 8685
Lannis 8370
Alex 7574
ricochetrider 7389
JubeePrince 6131
Stuart 6087
kommando 5819
Jon W. Whitley 5023
Kent Shaun 4745
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#311209 - 05/03/10 3:25 am Amal 276 float height
kngkong Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Wellington, NZ
Having a great time breaking in the new engine by taking the long way to work on the coastal roads. The Sppedtwin is running great except that it doesn't like to idle once its hot. Starting the bike usually takes a bunch of kicks, I go easy on the tickle cause it seems to flood too easily, but the bike will idle nicely once it starts cold. I usually ride for about a half hour and when I arrive the bike will usually shut itself down as I coast to a stop. Restarting the bike at this point is pretty hard and usually needs a good rest.

If I set the idle high it will run all day.

Im thinking this must be a carb issue. It is a new carb and I didnt do a clean out before installing. Does the pilot jet on the 276 use the same #78 drill to clean like on the 930's or is it something else. I know Ive read of people just using the wire from twisty ties.

Also, not having much luck searching for info regarding AMAL 276 float height setting. Can anyone run me through setting my float height or point me towards some documentation. I dont believe the owners manuals explains it for the 276, it does for the later monoblock.

Ive checked for air leaks and havent found any yet.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Upgrade your BritBike Forum membership for one year or for Life*
#311213 - 05/03/10 3:44 am Re: Amal 276 float height [Re: kngkong]
RF Whatley Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: The sunny South
Mr Kong -

Sure. No prob.

The pilot jet you seek is under the small dome nut on the underside of the carb. Use a 1/8W wrench to remove the dome nut. Then a standard straight blade screwdriver to remove the jet itself. Do the usual blow though, look through. You should see straight through. The most common issue is a single drop of water blocking the jet.

Note the chamfered end. The pilot jet will leak and go rich if not seated tightly into the body. Run it in to about 1 ft-lb of torque, turn the fuel tap ON and gas should run out freely, then replace the nut.

Pilot jets are numbered and available in various sizes. #25 and #30 are the most popular, I believe.

The float level on all Monoblocs is at the "pip" in the middle of the round cover, right smack in the middle of the word "AMAL". With the pilot jet dome nut removed, place a 6" piece of clear 1/8" ID tubing over the pilot, and make a U-turn so that the open end lies on the float bowl cover. Turn ON the fuel and the liquid level should rise to the "pip".

bigt

RF Whatley
Atlanta, GA
http://www.gabma.us/

The GABMA newsletter. What's on the back of your toilet?

#311218 - 05/03/10 4:10 am Re: Amal 276 float height [Re: RF Whatley]
kngkong Offline
BritBike Forum member

Most excellent, thanks a lot RF! Been searching for days for that info.

Ill give all that a try.

Anything else you can think of regarding running worse when warm (ie, half hour ride on a nice cool day)?

#311220 - 05/03/10 4:21 am Re: Amal 276 float height [Re: kngkong]
Gordo in Comox Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Comox BC Canada
Isn't the 276 carb the pre-Monobloc with the separate float chamber?

Gordo

#311223 - 05/03/10 4:34 am Re: Amal 276 float height [Re: Gordo in Comox]
kngkong Offline
BritBike Forum member

yeah, its the pre-Monobloc. Were those instructions for the Monobloc? I didnt realise.

#311426 - 05/03/10 10:19 pm Re: Amal 276 float height [Re: kngkong]
kngkong Offline
BritBike Forum member

can anyone help with the same info for pre-Monobloc?

#311435 - 05/03/10 11:24 pm Re: Amal 276 float height [Re: kngkong]
Phil Beresford Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: United kingdom
AMAL never published a fuel level for the Pre-Monobloc carburetter and there are no easily identifiable marks to judge it against. The weight of the float and the position of the groove in the needle were calculated to give the correct fuel level which was not expected to require adjustment. Three lengths of Mixing Chamber Union Nut were used to allow for the angle of downdraught on the carburetter and keep the fuel at the correct level.

There is a drilled and tapped hole in the float chamber boss that can provide an attachment for a tube to show the existing fuel level.

As the Speed Twin uses a carburetter with a 7 degree downdraught you have the option of adjusting the position of the float chamber relative to the carburetter. Moving it rearwards will raise the fuel level slightly.

The other adjustable option is the the thickness of the fibre washer above the float mounting boss.

The pilot jet is a drilling in the front edge of the jet block and is easy to get at and clean once the jet block is removed.

Of course, not idling and being hard to start when hot are also classic symptoms of a weakness in the ignition system. Have you checked the condition of the spark on both cylinders when the engine is hot?

#311436 - 05/03/10 11:34 pm Re: Amal 276 float height [Re: Phil Beresford]
kngkong Offline
BritBike Forum member

Thanks for the answers Phil. Ive been wondering what Ive doing wrong that I couldnt find much carb maintenance info on the 276. I noticed this morning when starting cold I got her to idle but I think it may be firing intermittently on only one cylinder at idle. If I raise the throttle it is definately firing on both. A little messing with the cables and it seemed to affect the mis-firing cylinder at idle.

I think Ill give the jet a clean out to make sure but I dont think its the culprit. Ill make sure the Im getting good connection to the mag on the offending cable.

To check spark when hot are you suggesting just taking out the plug and laying it on the cylinder to check for spark?

Though, I would think if I was having ignition issues with heat it would affect above idle as well? It doesnt feel like an ignition problem as it just plain shuts off as I get back down to idle after a ride. Hmmmmmm smile

#311438 - 05/03/10 11:56 pm Re: Amal 276 float height [Re: kngkong]
kngkong Offline
BritBike Forum member

also...

What is the cause of weak ignition when hot?

#311487 - 05/04/10 6:46 am Re: Amal 276 float height [Re: kngkong]
HawaiianTiger Online   content
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Maui Hawaii
Mr. Kong,
The most common cause of weak ignition when hot on these bikes is a bad condenser, the second being a break in the windings of the mag's armature. For a diagnosis, try attaching a common automotive condenser to the kill button terminal to see if the spark intensity returns to normal. This may be your idle problem when hot but it seems to me unlikely. It probably wouldn't run well at any speed.
Bill
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Flying Tiger"
Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers)

#311648 - 05/05/10 2:30 am Re: Amal 276 float height [Re: HawaiianTiger]
kngkong Offline
BritBike Forum member

Originally Posted By: HawaiianTiger
Mr. Kong,
The most common cause of weak ignition when hot on these bikes is a bad condenser, the second being a break in the windings of the mag's armature. For a diagnosis, try attaching a common automotive condenser to the kill button terminal to see if the spark intensity returns to normal. This may be your idle problem when hot but it seems to me unlikely. It probably wouldn't run well at any speed.
Bill

Thanks HawaiianTiger!
Sounds like a good test. Ill try it but like you mention it might not be the problem. Ive started a new thread here regarding why Im only running on one cylinder as its not really related to float height.

And where do you attach the condensor? On the end of the mag? Just inline?

Thanks for the tip!
john

Moderator:  John Healy 

Untitled Document

Home, Sponsors
Newsletter, Regalia
Calendar, Bike Project
BritBike Museum
Spiders Cartoons

"OLD" BritBike Forum

DVD- Manuals & Parts books
BritBike Stickers & Decals