BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Hoosier Daddy
Hoosier Daddy
Kendallville, IN - USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
219 registered members (68 royalstar tony), 1,781 guests, and 538 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 190
koan58 100
Stuart 84
NickL 67
Popular Topics(Views)
437,291 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,272
Posts632,167
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#305828 - 04/01/10 12:00 am Bird strike!  
BONZO R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
BONZO R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

Michigan, USA
I saw something this morning that I thought you lot might appreciate . OK , I'll keep it short and simple ..... I was awake earlier than usual this morning so I decided to drag the ol' Beeza out for the commute and as I arrived early I noticed a big ol' goose in the middle of the parking lot?? I took a different rout to the cycle paddock and as I was removing my gear and wiping some oil offa the machine I saw something that I will never forget , one of my co-workers rode up on his Buell as the aforementioned goose took note and took flight .....I suspected the loudass bike scared it away but this was not the case , Buell boy didn't have much time to react to the kamikazee goose as it flew straight at him to fend him off .... came back for another try before buell boy got off the bike . I was laughing so hard I nearly wet myself , one of the female supervisors was actually in tears with laughter . Appearantly this bad goose has taken over the parking lot as it wont leave and pecks and hisses at anyone who walks by , has chased a buncha people and did a repeat Kamikazee attack on one of the office guys later as he rode in on a Sportster but I missed that show . Management has no idea what to do about this violent offender , animal control was called and they directed to call 911 who in turn laughed the phone off the hook . I figure it would make for a tasty Easter dinner ??? I'm gonna have to remember to bring the goose repellent in the morning .

FWIW-BONZO

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#305831 - 04/01/10 12:12 am Re: Bird strike! [Re: BONZO R.I.P.]  
Britbodger R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
Britbodger R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

Houston Texas
Great story BONZO!

Can't help but have admiration fer that goose. Hope noone decides to shoot him. frown

Geese can be very aggresive. I remember living next to a field full of em (domesticated kind). As kids we were terrified of them; however, eventually learned as we got older that if you stood your ground and started to chase them their bluff was called and they turned tail and headed for their equivalent of the chicken cree grin

#305842 - 04/01/10 12:45 am Re: Bird strike! [Re: Britbodger R.I.P.]  
Bodger Offline
BritBike Forum member
Bodger  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Santa Barbara, Cal.
Heh, I remember when I was 2 and the geese attacked me, up in the 1000 Islands region. They are nasty!
Then when 4 got into Uncle Nelson's pig pen to pet the pigs...my cousin launched me out by the hair as they swarmed over where I had been...no motorcycle yet..but when as a crazy teen doing 100 (downhill) on my Yam 250 at about three am went under a 8 point buck as he jumped up out of the ditch. That would not have been , let's say, funny.

Much rather have a goose after me than that, thanks for the story...
....get a camera, $10K on Am's Funniest Home Videos.

There could be another bike in your future :>

#305849 - 04/01/10 1:06 am Re: Bird strike! [Re: Bodger]  
DPO Offline
BritBike Forum member
DPO  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Douglasville (Atlanta) Georgia
Not a goose, but approaching what I thought was a turkey just off my side of the road, at about 70 mph on my '05 America. Figured I would beep my horn to let it know I was coming, and just then, the giant Alabama condor jumped strait up, spred his 11 foot wingspan, and barely missed taking me off my bike..That would have been catastrophic, as I "ducked" just in time...

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back, you've highsided!"

1971 Triumph T120
2005 Triumph "America"
1976 BMW R90/6
#305895 - 04/01/10 6:01 am Re: Bird strike! [Re: DPO]  
Bodger Offline
BritBike Forum member
Bodger  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Santa Barbara, Cal.
Heh, as a fiddle player, I love the story about Cajun fiddler Doug Kershaw.

He was playing at a dance in the long tin walled/roofed Louisiana dance halls, and it was near Thanksgiving with a live turkey raffle.

Somebody thought it would be funny to let the turkey out during the dance.

As the turkey flew the length of the hall towards the stage, Doug, in mid tune, swung his borrowed (of course) fiddle like a baseball bat and whacked the dinner.

Quite an image.

#305904 - 04/01/10 8:53 am Re: Bird strike! [Re: Bodger]  
Kent Shaun Online content
BritBike Forum member
Kent Shaun  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Kent Garden of England
Bonzo lad, phew! That was close, I was just about to unleash a torent of abuse at ya, cos there I was thinking... That's NOT the Bonzo I know and love, and then you said...

Quote:
I figure it would make for a tasty Easter dinner

Now THAT'S the Bonzo I KNOW And love laughing

I'm with you lad, get that oil in the pot, Deep Fried Goose at Easter, t'is the Hill Billy treat of the year lad wink

Last edited by Kent Shaun; 04/01/10 8:53 am.

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
#305911 - 04/01/10 10:44 am Re: Bird strike! [Re: Kent Shaun]  
Ger B Offline
BritBike Forum member
Ger B  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NL
Quote:
Deep Fried Goose at Easter

Shaun: are you telling me you hillbillies eat Christmass dinner at Easter? crazy

Ger B

#305918 - 04/01/10 11:23 am Re: Bird strike! [Re: Ger B]  
Kent Shaun Online content
BritBike Forum member
Kent Shaun  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Kent Garden of England
Ger lad, we eat anything at anytime wink Even Smokled Eels with the skin on laughing

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
#305926 - 04/01/10 12:09 pm Re: Bird strike! [Re: Kent Shaun]  
George Elston Offline
BritBike Forum member
George Elston  Offline
BritBike Forum member

upstate ny
Fortunately I never had that close an encounter with wildlife( at least the 4 legged or winged kind).
But several years ago I ran into 2 people who were hit by bats while riding at night. Both took them full in the face and as they were not wearing full face and the bats weren't recoverable they both did the rabies shot routine. Never heard such a thing before or since.

57 Woodsman
64 Interceptor
58 Trailblazer
59 Constellation
64 500 Sport twin
61 Hornet

2001 W650
1966 W1
#305931 - 04/01/10 12:23 pm Re: Bird strike! [Re: George Elston]  
ricochetrider Online content
Moto Mojo
ricochetrider  Online Content

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
Bonzo
laughing laughing laughing
too funny bro.
there's GOT to be some security cam vids of these *attacks*?
you can bet there are a couple security guys laughing their arses off in the back room, i'd be surprised if this doesn't make you-tube soon dude. clap

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

#305933 - 04/01/10 12:26 pm Re: Bird strike! [Re: George Elston]  
JT441 Offline
BritBike Forum member
JT441  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Cadillac, MI
Bats aren't to be trifled with. A main in our area captured on that got into his house. It bit him and he contracted rabies and died.

We used to camp on the backwaters of a dam near here that was home to a healthy population of ducks, geese and swans. It was interesting to see the pecking order. The ducks would show up first begging for handouts only to be run off by the geese which were, in turn, run off by the swans which were the biggest and baddest of the lot.

Canada geese populations have risen to the level of being nuisances in many area. Particularly in parks and golf courses. They are very aggressive about defending their territory and their droppings can become a real mess.

We have a beautiful walkway on the lake shore across the street from my office. For a couple years, a pair of red wing blackbirds nested in a tree beside the the walk and aggressively attacked anyone that walked by their tree.

JT441
'70 B44
'71 T120
'66 Spitfire
'85 Honda Shadow (the SO's bike)
'90 Honda Pacific Coast
'96 Honda Pacific Coast
#306020 - 04/01/10 9:23 pm Re: Bird strike! [Re: ricochetrider]  
BONZO R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
BONZO R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

Michigan, USA
Blimey, This just gets better ..... Showed up this morning with no serious threats as I took the long way round to the paddock , two other riders decided it would be prudent to kill their engine and coast by the ever vigilant beast . This bad bird seems to have given up on making the entire lot his but he seems to be sticking to his guns and wont let anyone near his claim (a small plot of lawn in front of the building between a fire hydrant and a tree) he sorta stand on the sidewalk and stares at every passerby like he wants a piece of them , it's freakin hillarious .The best part so far was when Doug(one of the night shift riders) started his sportster and let it warm up as he donned hios gear ..... ol' goose didn't take kindly to all that noise and got right in Dougs bizness , wings a flappin' and pecking away , when Doug grabbed it by the neck and threw it ...... awesome ... first time the bird made any sort of retreat . Some of our self proclamed wildlife experts seem to think this thing is gonna lay eggs where it's roosting and will be there for quite a while ??

Ricochet , yes , we do have cameras , our second floor is home to the office of inspector general in this area and from what I understand the entire lot is recorded 24-7 as well as an awful lot of the workroom floor . I doubt any of this makes youtube , but I am pretty sure these straight faced guys are gettin a laugh .

FWIW-BONZO

#306025 - 04/01/10 10:24 pm Re: Bird strike! [Re: BONZO R.I.P.]  
ricochetrider Online content
Moto Mojo
ricochetrider  Online Content

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
Bonzo,
you guys should try the *silent* method of pest removal...

(and yes, it IS likely the goose could be there a while, as geese, ducks, etc. tend to nest and lay eggs on higher ground, away from the water- a buddy of mine's dad used to have ducks nesting in his potatoes in the garden out back every year- 2 miles from the creek!)

get yourself a loaf of bread, and a baseball bat. you'll be deep fryin some goose meat in no time flat.

sounds like Doug got his licks in, that goose'll REALLY have it in fer 'im now boy!

keep us posted on this, it is TOO funny! now that Shaun's NZ yarn is done, we need some entertainment around here...

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

#306247 - 04/03/10 2:19 am Re: Bird strike! [Re: BONZO R.I.P.]  
BONZO R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
BONZO R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

Michigan, USA
The saga continues .... Today the ravenous beast made 3 more attacks . One was provoked by our shop practical joker who "thought" he was gonna catch the bird by surprise , the bird was distracted and about 100 yards away as Timmy started his obnoxiously loud metric cruiser and planned on giving the bird a tatse of its own medicine by blastin pastim unexpectedly ..... he didn't make 20 yards before our attack goose was in flight and headed right at him..... the thing was literally beating him about the head and shoulders with its wings for about 10 seconds befor Timmy escaped its grasp .... it was awesome!! We just noticed another goos tucked in around the corner , appearantly "nesting" and being protected by our now larger than life super goose .I have to say I am sorta disapointed that I have not been on the receiving end of an "attack" , I rode the flyin banana and the bMW with no retaliation , and a couple others who ride BMW haven't been attacked??? Maybe the bird is just cool and hates on the loud H-D and H-D wannabees??? Gonna test this theoiry soon as I plan to ride the purple Beeza with megas , loud enough for rock n roll....

Well , anyway , we were able to commandeer the actual video of this event .... I've never posted video to this site so I am trying to post a link to it , hope it works ....

one bad bird

FWIW-BONZO

#306282 - 04/03/10 9:41 am Re: Bird strike! [Re: BONZO R.I.P.]  
Ger B Offline
BritBike Forum member
Ger B  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NL
Do not mess with geese. They once saved the Roman Empire.
A small road here, typical for going for a walk or a ride on the bicycle, or teach a child how to ride a bicycle, passes the back of a park with a pond. In nesting season the geese paint the asphalt white and green and they use the passers by to practice their agression on.

Ger B

#306297 - 04/03/10 11:49 am Re: Bird strike! [Re: Ger B]  
Tiger Offline
BritBike Forum member
Tiger  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Melbourne Australia
I swore off shooting Geese back in '79.

I was a deckhand on LFB Camdale and immediately before Christmas we steamed into Lady Barron in company with LFB Queen Mab.

The rest of the blokes flew back to the mainland but my folks were far North so I stayed, thinking that Christmas and New Year on Flinders Island would be interesting and so it was.

Suffice to say that the locals knew how to have fun.

Cape Barren Geese were/are a protected species although plentifull on the small islands immediately off Lady Barron, I had had enough of the locals so determined to cook an extravagant Christmas day feast for myself aboard Camdale.

I had been told that the way to get a Goose was to run the bugger down amongst the flock and beat it on the head with a crab stick [basically a half baseball bat sized club used to break up spider crabs which had fouled our nets].

At the time I thought that not a good idea, the islands were riddled with Mutton Bird burrows and and richly infested with [aggressive] Tiger Snakes, I could see a broken leg and/or snake bite putting an end to me as I would be unaccompanied.

I shot what looked to be a good Goose and carried it back to the vessel where I prepared it for the oven along with stuffing and baked onions and yams and gravy etc.

I had hitchhiked to and from Whitemark in the morning to obtain the necessary ingredients, this was to be a culinary masterpiece with an audience of one.

The Goose was stuffed and cooked and basted with reverence, the associated vegetables likewise.

The breast meat was like trying to chew carbon fibre mesh, absolutely hideously tough, one bite and I knew the carcase was going over the side.

That is how I had a vegetarian Christmas dinner in 1979, the stuffing was OK and the yams and such superb.

An very attractive young woman whom I had met the night before came by later and we had a beer or two and a naked salt water hot tub experience in the wash tank after I filled it from the main engine heatexchanger primary loop.

She was a half caste aboriginal and laughed when I told her of the Goose, apparently the Cape Barren Goose grows rapidly and whilst the young resemble the mature they cannot fly, hence chasing the bloody things down with a crab stick !

Geese are bad news, that damn thing I cooked is probably a small artificial reef by now.

Last edited by Tiger; 04/03/10 11:53 am.

1969 TR6R
7.62 x 51 is not a maths puzzle.
#306311 - 04/03/10 1:40 pm Re: Bird strike! [Re: Tiger]  
Mitch C. Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mitch C.  Offline
BritBike Forum member

the dungeon, in N.W. Ohio
Bonzo...the problem with geese is next year the momma AND little ones will return to do the same thing all over again making the process even worse. I have a friend that is going through the same nasty process. Just wait until them critters hatch and get big...

#306314 - 04/03/10 2:38 pm Re: Bird strike! [Re: Mitch C.]  
Britbodger R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
Britbodger R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

Houston Texas
Looks like BONZO'S firm now has to find new premises as them geese now has property rights on the existing premises laugh

#306399 - 04/04/10 3:58 am Re: Bird strike! [Re: Britbodger R.I.P.]  
BONZO R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
BONZO R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

Michigan, USA
Yep , it seems these things are protected , aint nobody feasting on goose anytime soon . This thing has become quite the celebrity in the plant. It has formulated new tactics like swooping down from the roof and standing right in front of the entrance at shift change . I tells ya , this thing is hillarious .

FWIW-BONZO

#306428 - 04/04/10 10:15 am Re: Bird strike! [Re: BONZO R.I.P.]  
Ger B Offline
BritBike Forum member
Ger B  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NL
The one Tiger so brutaly murdered is protected by the local wineries...
When they read his confession I bet they'll excommunicate him so he'll have to drink beer for the rest of his life.

Ger B

#306429 - 04/04/10 10:37 am Re: Bird strike! [Re: Ger B]  
Graham Ham Offline
Private sponsor
Graham Ham  Offline
Private sponsor

South East England
Going sideways a bit, but on the subject of bird-strike ...

I was in a BRAND NEW BMW car, in France, a few years back. we were heading from Calais to Dunkirk on business, and we were late, so the guy driving had his toe down a bit.

We were probably doing about 90mph on the motorway, and without warning a PHEASANT shot out of the verge straight towards us.

It hit the front grill - punched STRAIGHT through, and MINCED itself all around the engine compartment. Man what a MESS - it killed the car, which had to be recovered, and the repair bill was over 5,000 !

i will NEVER forget the nausiating mess under the hood of that car .... and I sure hope a Pheasant never hits ME on a *bike* at speed !

G.

Good judgment comes from experience, but the most memorable experiences tend to come from bad judgment!

http://www.panther-publishing.co.uk/default.asp?contentID=18

#306431 - 04/04/10 10:52 am Re: Bird strike! [Re: Graham Ham]  
KarlB Offline
BritBike Forum member
KarlB  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Kent
On the theme of mad birds of the feathered variety I got hit by a sparrow once, I was doing thirty, or supposed to be but I was a teenager on a Honda 400/4 so I probably was going a tad faster (no speed cameras those days). I saw this bird flying down the street right at me. It'll veer off I thought, like buggery it did, smacked me right in the middle of my chest! Did a bit of fluttering about in my face and then cartwheeled off somewhere in a cloud of feathers. I was wearing a brand new Belstaff Trialmaster jacket (jeez they are expensive now) so not a lot of protection there. Do you know that expression, 'knocked the wind out of you?' Well now I know what that means. Somehow, I don't recall really as I was so shocked, I managed to bring the bike to a wobbly standstill at the side of the road and collapse onto the grass verge. A little old lady passing by (there always seems to be one at moments like that) asked me what was up as I dragged my helmet off. I just couldn't answer as I was struggling for breath. She must have thought I was some loony as she wandered off muttering to herself. When I finally managed to breath again and pick the bike up off the grass there was no sight of the kamikaze bird. Later on when I had a look at my chest it looked like someone had painted a great big black, blue and purple target on me. The doctor thought it was most funny, my mum bless her, made me go to the A&E when she saw it. I've also managed to kill a blackbird on a trial bike but that's another story... smile

KarlB
Big day has come and gone and still no idea what Project 50 will be!
#306440 - 04/04/10 11:38 am Re: Bird strike! [Re: BONZO R.I.P.]  
Rich B Online happy
Rich B  Online Happy

Stone Creek OH USA
Funny Bonzo, very funny laughing

Don't mess with geese when they are nesting....they are amazingly hostile....

The wife has 6 African Geese. One is so tame he will walk up to me wanting his back rubbed. But they do have a hostile streak, couple of years ago, the guy showed up from the power company to change the meter since it died. The 6 geese surrounded him and would not let him go towards the barn. They have also lined up across the driveway to keep a vehicle that was strange to them from coming up the driveway.

Tell you co workers to keep their distance, makes life simpler for them and the geese..... grin

Besides, when a goose gets a hold of you with that beak...they leave a mark! eek

Life is too short to drink cheap, bad beer.
#306482 - 04/04/10 4:39 pm Re: Bird strike! [Re: Rich B]  
BONZO R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
BONZO R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

Michigan, USA
Rich , that's the funniest thing about this bird , it will hiss and maybe raise a wing at passersby but it will actually take food from pedestrians as long as they dont go near the nesting bird in the background...... it only has attitude with the loud bikes , it even perks up and shoots its bad look in the direction of the freeway when it hears a bike roar by in the distance . I gotta say, the first time I saw this thing tangle with a bike the first thing that came to mind was your story of the Kentucky adventure where the buzzard ran you and Ron off from his roadkill. I had never seen a bird actually "attack" a rider before , I've only ever seen them try to get out of the way ....until now I have only been concerned with dogs and deer , I guess I miss a lot of good stuff being a city boy.

FWIW-BONZO

#306483 - 04/04/10 4:58 pm Re: Bird strike! [Re: BONZO R.I.P.]  
Keith of Columbus Offline
BritBike Forum member
Keith of Columbus  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Columbus, Ohio
Those geese. Last time I was at Rich B's place the geese surrounded me, got me down on the ground, and stole my wallet. Ran up a huge credit card bill on wild rice from Trader Joe's. N

Keith
'65 and '66 BSA Lightning
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.204s Queries: 16 (0.063s) Memory: 1.0087 MB (Peak: 1.3718 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-21 13:53:47 UTC