BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Jwood & co JRC Engineering dealers Jwood & co
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
29 registered members (Alan_nc), 214 guests, and 453 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
hondapete1950, Gaspare, eberhard, Norman Woollons, LandoLando
10257 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 77
Lannis 56
Popular Topics(Views)
610,291 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,138
Posts651,518
Members10,257
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
1926 Round tank BSA #297981
02/06/10 10:08 pm
02/06/10 10:08 pm
California USA
G
Goldstardiver Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Goldstardiver  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
G
California USA
A friend of mine has a BSA 1926 round tank 95% complete that he has stored in his dry attic for the past 42 years. The 250cc engine was soaked in oil and turns freely as the 3 speed hand change trans shifts fine. all the right "Bits" are there except for the Primary cover. He wants to sell it to me but I have no idea what its worth? and if there's spares or parts to be found for this old of a machine. Does anyone have any idea's and sources for parts?and expertise?
All I would do is to get the bike running and leave the 80+ years of patina intact!
Any help would be welcome.....

1958 BSA A10 Super Rocket
1960 BSA A10 Spitfire Scrambler
1961 BSA RGS 1AB
1961 BSA DBD34 Gold Star Clubmans
1969 BSA A75 Rocket III MkI
1975 Triumph T160 Trident
Support your #1 BSA Forum and our favorite sponsors

Check out BSA on e-bay: BSA Parts in UK, BSA Motorcycles in UK, BSA Parts in North America, BSA Motorcycles in North America

Re: 1926 Round tank BSA [Re: Goldstardiver] #298004
02/07/10 12:36 am
02/07/10 12:36 am
Sydney Australia
B
BSA_WM20 Online content
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
B
Sydney Australia
The 250cc model B engine ran till WWII so mechanical bits are no real problem.
The 26 should have a dummy rim rear brake only and a unique double activation system linking the had & foot brake which is totally unobtainable.
27's had normal front & back brakes and it is usual to find the bike has been upgraded to the latter system as the earlier one simply dose not work .
Cornucopia in Austria and Burton in the UK will have most of the engine bits.
Front guard is unique and suffers badly from having the forks traveling through it where they usually crack & break.
Tank is also unique.
Rear guard & tool box was common and are available as repo's.
Lighting & speedo were optional items although I think that the deluxe came standard with electric lights most period riders fitted the more reliable & stronger acetelyne lamps which are also available as repro items but the carbide is hard to come by ( terrorist material that can be used to make a bomb , har har, har )
3 speed box was on the deluxe which was generally painted black with gold pinlining.

Most owners fit the 2 speed which makes for better running as 3rd is too high.
Clusters are the same sizes as all BSA gears so you can play with it but I think that first was unique ( lowest gear BSA made )
Clutch sits on the same tapper as just about every other BSA so there is no problems as you can adapt WM20 single spring bits to fit ( or even fit a latter clutch from a C10 / 11
Controls were common across the range & are all available as repros.

Primary was pressed tin and again a standard item not too hard to find or make.
Tatty runners down here go for 3-5k (Aust ) and pristine in the 5-15k range.
Not up to being ridden much in modern traffic and way too common to gain much in the way of collector status . In their day ( depression years ) they were BSA biggest seller and being a small bike with not much in the way of resale value tended to be " shoved into the back of the attic / basement and forgotten about"
Commonly called "sausage tanks or flying marrows", any one over 70 will remember them.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Re: 1926 Round tank BSA [Re: BSA_WM20] #298047
02/07/10 5:13 am
02/07/10 5:13 am
Santa Barbara, Cal.
B
Bodger Offline
BritBike Forum member
Bodger  Offline
BritBike Forum member
B
Santa Barbara, Cal.
Hey Alan, that's very cool, and with WM20's totally cogent sounding advice you've got a good start at getting it together.

I wonder where and when it came from, and if it was one of the odd ducks piled in the back of Mullaney's shop in the 50's and 60's...I remember some vintage somethings, a Sunbeam, a Horex, and Zundapp or DKW maybe....as well as shiny new red A65's and Blue tanked Gold Stars.

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership