BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
aviator79
aviator79
Los Alamos, NM
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
199 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,590 guests, and 585 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Doug Baril, revans, Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts
9960 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 184
koan58 99
Stuart 82
NickL 70
Popular Topics(Views)
439,889 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,302
Posts632,375
Members9,960
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#296763 - 01/31/10 6:26 am Finished the headlight assembly on 71 Daytona  
ed_h Offline
BritBike Forum member
ed_h  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Nebraska, USA
I've loaded some pics of rebuilding a headlight shell on a 71 Daytona:

http://bullfire.net/Triumph/Triumph23/Triumph23.html

For just a little more, you can do it yourself!
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#296772 - 01/31/10 7:38 am Re: Finished the headlight assembly on 71 Daytona [Re: ed_h]  
Blapper Offline
BritBike Forum member
Blapper  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Kent UK
WOW! you sure lose a lot of the space inside the headlamp with that new reflector don't you. Probably a better light beam, but it would make relays and fuses in the headlamp tight!

Nice work.

#296790 - 01/31/10 11:04 am Re: Finished the headlight assembly on 71 Daytona [Re: Blapper]  
twinspin Offline
BritBike Forum member
twinspin  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Berkshire UK
Nice job Ed and good photos.
I found that 'o' rings that are recommended for sealing the warning lights into the shell are too high in profile and that a better solution is to use a thin sheet of rubber or similar material punched out with appropriate sized punches. Also the securing pips on the body of the assemblies do little to hold them in position. I have used rubber 'bungs cut to about 1cm depth suitably holed with a punch and then slid up the body when in position give a firm hold on the assemblies.
Mike

Last edited by twinspin; 01/31/10 11:04 am.

1971 T100R
1970 T120
#296794 - 01/31/10 12:10 pm Re: Finished the headlight assembly on 71 Daytona [Re: ed_h]  
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Hi Ed,

Been following your restoration saga. bigt Perhaps I can offer some help here?

Originally Posted By: ed_h
There are only a few devices that still didn't have an explicit return wire: turn signals, points, oil pressure switch, and spark plugs.

Apart from the turn signals, all the other things earth/ground into the engine; you should have a connection from somewhere on the engine into the loom's Red wires network. Fwiw, on my T100, I attached one on a 10mm i.d. ring terminal to one of the rocker box studs that takes the head steady.

Turning to the turn signals (sorry), you can sometimes shove an earth/ground wire all the way down each stem and solder it to the bulb holder, but it's always a pita. Fwiw, I make up leads with a bullet on one end and a ring terminal on the other, attaching the ring under the turn signal's 7/16"UNF mounting nut (a 10mm ring will just about fit over the thread) and the bullet into one of the loom's existing Red wires connectors.

Digressing slightly, while your bike's in bits, does the bike's rear light unit have a separate Red earth/ground cable or just the two cables for the tail and brake filaments? My '70 T150 has the same rear light as a standard '71 T100 and it didn't have an earth/ground lead. Again, I made up a lead with a bullet on one end and ring terminal on the other, albeit this time a 5mm ring attached under one of the bulb holder 'frame' 2BA mounting screws.

Originally Posted By: ed_h
a couple of pigtails in the bucket with quasi-bullet connectors. I thought a true bullet wold be a good idea. These bullets can be crimped or soldered. I soldered them.

Soldering was probably the best idea. Ime, crimp-on 'true' bullets only work long-term with the cable size they're spec'ed for, and all the Far Eastern makers seem to delight in supplying weird cable sizes. mad I can't solder to save my life so, for the weird cable sizes, I keep some 3/6" o.d. bullets that crimp like Lucar tabs.

Originally Posted By: Blapper
you sure lose a lot of the space inside the headlamp with that new reflector

Ime, they're a modern-size reflector with the old-style lens stuck on the front and a BPF bulb holder on the back. The Lucas lens thread is recent enough to make reviving those arguments here futile, but you can still fit a couple of modern 'cube' relays, and their sockets, in the standard 'half-egg' shell with a modern reflector, bulb and its 3-pin socket. Alternatively, there are these micro relays.

Originally Posted By: twinspin
I found that 'o' rings that are recommended for sealing the warning lights into the shell are too high in profile and that a better solution is to use a thin sheet

Fwiw, the original 99-1210 rings are just that - a thin oblong-section. You can sometimes find nos because some parts persons don't know what they're looking at, assuming the normal O-rings (that have been around for years) are the 'correct' part.

Hth.

Regards,

#296901 - 02/01/10 12:52 am Re: Finished the headlight assembly on 71 Daytona [Re: Stuart]  
ed_h Offline
BritBike Forum member
ed_h  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Nebraska, USA
Thanks, Blapper. Yes, I forgot to mention the difference in depth of the new reflector. It wasn't too big a deal, but yes, it is a little more crowded inside. Hopefully the light will be better.

twinspin--
The original indicator light seals and the ones I got from Baxters are flat section as you describe. I did have trouble with one of the lamp assemblies being sort of a loose fit in the hole. It wouldn't fall out, but would sit a little cocked with the wires pushing it to one side. I might have tried your method if I'd thought of it, but I ended up putting a few dabs of hot-melt glue in the inside of the shell to steady it. Seems to work OK.

Stuart--
Yes, electerical stuff mounted on the engine probably aren't good candidates for individual ground return wires. Grounding the engine explicitly does seem like a good idea, and I think I'll do it. In fact, the ring terminal that connects battery positive to the frame would serve better if it connected to the engine. That way the frame would get its ground from the engine rather than the other way around.

I might look into providing a return wire from the signals as you mention.

As to you question about the rear lights, my harness does have a red wire back to the tail lamp assembly, but it connects to a ring terminal under the turn signal stalk, so the tail lamp housing is actually used for the return from there to the lamps. I plan to fix that.

#297228 - 02/02/10 8:00 pm Re: Finished the headlight assembly on 71 Daytona [Re: ed_h]  
twinspin Offline
BritBike Forum member
twinspin  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Berkshire UK
Hello Ed,
I was perusing some of your previous good work on former pages and noticed that pages 13 and 14 are missing. Is this deliberate?
Mike

1971 T100R
1970 T120
#297318 - 02/03/10 3:34 am Re: Finished the headlight assembly on 71 Daytona [Re: twinspin]  
ed_h Offline
BritBike Forum member
ed_h  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Nebraska, USA
Originally Posted By: twinspin
Hello Ed,
I was perusing some of your previous good work on former pages and noticed that pages 13 and 14 are missing. Is this deliberate?
Mike

Mike--

I just checked, and pages 13 and 14 appear to be working. Must have been a glitch.

http://bullfire.net/Triumph/Triumph13.html
http://bullfire.net/Triumph/Triumph14.html

#297344 - 02/03/10 9:40 am Re: Finished the headlight assembly on 71 Daytona [Re: ed_h]  
twinspin Offline
BritBike Forum member
twinspin  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Berkshire UK
Hello Ed,
Yes working here too now!
Mike

1971 T100R
1970 T120
#297419 - 02/03/10 5:45 pm Re: Finished the headlight assembly on 71 Daytona [Re: twinspin]  
RF Whatley Online content
BritBike Forum member
RF Whatley  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

North Georgia, USA
Ed -
When you plug all that back up, you should coat each of the bullets and receptacles with electrical grease, which you can get at any electrical supply house or Home Depot type stores. This will exclude water and actually help electrical flow by preventing the formation of oxides on the connector surfaces.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
Cornelia, GA

"Shop Boy" at Rodi British Bikes
#297450 - 02/03/10 10:14 pm Re: Finished the headlight assembly on 71 Daytona [Re: Blapper]  
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
DavidP  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Gnashville
Originally Posted By: Blapper
WOW! you sure lose a lot of the space inside the headlamp with that new reflector don't you. Probably a better light beam, but it would make relays and fuses in the headlamp tight!

Nice work.

Good thing you're not trying to fit all this in the bogus flat-back shell on the 71-72 650s.
I remember fitting a car sealed-beam unit to my Trident. Toughest part was getting the retaining clips in place.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 1.126s Queries: 15 (0.072s) Memory: 0.8678 MB (Peak: 1.0690 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-24 18:14:39 UTC