BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Roger Gulledge
Roger Gulledge
Oahu Hawaii USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
221 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,770 guests, and 551 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst
9957 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 190
koan58 100
Stuart 86
NickL 71
Popular Topics(Views)
437,702 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,282
Posts632,294
Members9,957
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#297057 - 02/01/10 9:22 pm Electronic ignition?  
2slow Offline
BritBike Forum member
2slow  Offline
BritBike Forum member

colorado
Whats your thoughts on these are they worth the money? reliable? do they add any performance? what brands are out there it's for a 70 lightning thanks

I dedicate this drink to "Nellie"; a Welsh Lady of the night who could do things with her one good arm that'd make you forget that *thing* on her neck

way to many
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#297062 - 02/01/10 9:44 pm Re: Electronic ignition? [Re: 2slow]  
Alex Offline
BritBike Forum member
Alex  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Seattle
Originally Posted By: 2slow
Whats your thoughts on these are they worth the money?

Maybe...you will never have to replace or adjust points or condenser again. For a twin, that means that a $180 EI will pay for itself in about 9 years if you ride 10K miles/year. (points, condensers are about $10 ea.)

Quote:
reliable?

Only as reliable as your charging system, battery and your wiring. EI's are much more sensitive here.

Quote:
do they add any performance?

No, but they do tend to have a better advance curve for BSA's than the stock points. Heavy duty advance springs seem to correct this if you want to stick with points...unfortunately, they've been hard to get of late.

Quote:
what brands are out there it's for a 70 lightning

Pazon, Sparx, Boyer...there may be others. They seem, for all intents and purposes comparable, though the Pazon uses the newest tooling the Boyers starting to show its age a little bit.

Hope that helps.

Remember, the advice is free - weigh it accordingly.

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.
#297115 - 02/02/10 2:18 am Re: Electronic ignition? [Re: Alex]  
BSA_WM20 Online content
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Sydney Australia
IF your points and the AA unit are in good order and you don't do lots of miles or very high revs then there is marginal benefit.
However if you AA unit is shot ( and most are by now ) then it is a no brainer to go for the EI units which are about 1.5 to 3 times the price of replacing the AA unit ( f you can find a good one ).

It is worth while to take the opertunity to do a rewire as the wiring is probably toast by now as well and if you go EI with existing wiring problems then expect to do a lot of pushing.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
#297124 - 02/02/10 3:17 am Re: Electronic ignition? [Re: Alex]  
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Hi,

Originally Posted By: Alex
Originally Posted By: 2slow
what brands are out there it's for a 70 lightning

Pazon, Sparx, Boyer...there may be others. They seem, for all intents and purposes comparable,

Hmmm ... while I've no experience of the Pazon, the reports I've read on here are positive, but so they ought to be for the cost.

Boyer-Bransden I've many years experience of - only B-B that's worth the money is a free one.

Everything else Sparx I've got has one quality-control problem or another; on that basis, their e.i. is too expensive.

The one you don't mention is Trispark. Steve's an electronics engineer, started out making e.i. for triples (he's a T160 owner) - do a search on the Triples On Line Forum and check out his feedback. His e.i. for a twin is a slightly different design but, given how long it's been out already, I don't see any reason to think it isn't just as good.

If I was paying my money now, Trispark is the one I'd go for, no question.

Hth.

Regards,

#297158 - 02/02/10 10:07 am Re: Electronic ignition? [Re: Stuart]  
BSA_WM20 Online content
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Sydney Australia
Interesting.
Only ever had Boyers or Ritas.
Ritas gave zero problems but were very expensive.
Early Boyers had a problem with the anchorage of the pick up leads to the pick up coils but they seem to have fixed that.
The only other problem is the crimp connectors which are too big for the cable and the solution is to cut off all of them and fit proper size ones after which all that I know of will give good service for a very long while ( I have an old red box one that still works fine,
The down side is that the battery & charging side must be in good nick.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
#297175 - 02/02/10 1:19 pm Re: Electronic ignition? [Re: BSA_WM20]  
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Hi Trevor,

Don't get me wrong - I've had a Rita on my first T160 since it was about six months old in 1978 (fitted at the 3,000-mile service) and the second one had a Rita fitted when I got it at about five years old in 1982. Here in GB, Rita was only ever a bit more expensive for a T160 'cos B-B would use the standard 6V coils whereas Lucas supplied proper 4V coils; any other triple, or any Triumph or BSA twin, both would need new coils so any price differential was small.

My B-B experience is mainly sorting out other peoples'; I do have one on my T100 and, thus far, it's been ok. However, the only reason I'm using it is it was free and, if it gives any trouble it'll be off.

I'd go for another Rita if I couldn't have a Trispark but, in fairness, sourcing an amp. (the only bit that isn't available new), which might or might not need fixing, which might or might not need to go to GB to be fixed, is a faff few people would want. That's the reason I didn't mention Rita in my previous post.

Originally Posted By: BSA_WM20
Boyers
The down side is that the battery & charging side must be in good nick.

To a great extent, same with a Rita, ime. But it's never caused me a problem 'cos I'm not surprised when something electric marked '12V' doesn't work at a lower voltage. wink

It's perhaps worth mentioning that, although Steve wouldn't recommend running either Trispark for any length of time with less than 12V, he did specifically build in a degree of low-voltage tolerance.

Hth.

Regards,

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.203s Queries: 15 (0.015s) Memory: 0.8291 MB (Peak: 0.9849 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-22 05:44:57 UTC