BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Steve Erickson
Steve Erickson
The Northwoods... Michigan
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
216 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,643 guests, and 588 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
revans, Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery
9959 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 189
koan58 99
Stuart 86
NickL 73
Popular Topics(Views)
439,215 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,293
Posts632,504
Members9,959
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#295158 - 01/22/10 1:12 am Exhaust pipe Blues - Prevention  
ClutchCargo Offline
BritBike Forum member
ClutchCargo  Offline
BritBike Forum member

SE Florida
Will high temp grill paint (1200 degree) coated inside a new set of pipes prevent blueing ?

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#295261 - 01/22/10 6:09 pm Re: Exhaust pipe Blues - Prevention [Re: ClutchCargo]  
john toghill Offline
BritBike Forum member
john toghill  Offline
BritBike Forum member

chatham kent UK
Originally Posted By: ClutchCargo
Will high temp grill paint (1200 degree) coated inside a new set of pipes prevent blueing ?

I've heard of people using high temp aluminium paint to coat the inside of exhaust pipes and I used this:
http://www.kreemproducts.net/p-19-blue-shield.aspx
on a Hinckley T100 from new and it worked very well. The problem is any of these remedies only work on new unused pipes, unless you can find a way of cleaning old pipes completely.
The blue shield stopped the pipes from turning blue (which the new T100s have a reputation for due to the fact they run very lean) but they did go a nice golden colour. If your pipes turn blue very quickly it may be an indication that you're running too lean.
all the best
John

the trouble with the world today is apathy; but I don't care.
British Motorcycles, built to last, till worn out.
#295296 - 01/22/10 10:27 pm Re: Exhaust pipe Blues - Prevention [Re: john toghill]  
btour Online content
BritBike Forum member
btour  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Massachusetts, U.S.A.
I freaked about pipes turning blue. But it is nothing. It is an indication that plenty of copper was used in the plating process. A good thing.

If the blue color runs all the way down the pipe, than that may be a sign of something to worry about. Else not.

Coating new pipes on the inside may work or not. I think the straw color is prettier than the blue, but not really important.

Bob, Lifetime bike: '71 T120R, bought in '71 at Ken Heanes, England.
#295309 - 01/23/10 12:08 am Re: Exhaust pipe Blues - Prevention [Re: btour]  
Alan in TN Offline
BritBike Forum member
Alan in TN  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Collierville TN
I thought the "straw color" occurred when stainless steel pipes were used rather than chrome plated steel. I think it is also correct that if the motor is running lean the chrome pipes will turn blue mainly near the head and sometimes further down the pipe (a pulse from the engine cycle?). If one uses stainless steel pipes they will develop a straw color as described in the thread.

If I am erring please set me straight. I also have not been able to successfully get rid of the blue pipe syndrome.

HTH

Alan

#295347 - 01/23/10 7:13 am Re: Exhaust pipe Blues - Prevention [Re: Alan in TN]  
Blapper Offline
BritBike Forum member
Blapper  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Kent UK
Stainless ONLY go straw, chrome go straw on the way to going blue.

#295350 - 01/23/10 9:39 am Re: Exhaust pipe Blues - Prevention [Re: Blapper]  
john toghill Offline
BritBike Forum member
john toghill  Offline
BritBike Forum member

chatham kent UK
Originally Posted By: Blapper
Stainless ONLY go straw, chrome go straw on the way to going blue.

I've got stainless on my T140/TR7 and they have gone straw with a hint of blue at the head. The pipes on the Hinckley bonnies are chrome plated SS and I can assure you, if untreated they WILL go very blue a long way along their length due to the air injection system and the lean settings Blap.
Trying to remove the blue from pipes is not easy. Mine are unchromed polished SS and came back clean after putting them on my polishing machine but with chrome pipes you'd be likely to go through the plating, I think.
Best bet is to ensure your carbs are set up correctly, plus timing spot on, correct plugs, gapped right and then learn to love any blue you get. wink
John

#295398 - 01/23/10 4:01 pm Re: Exhaust pipe Blues - Prevention [Re: john toghill]  
ClutchCargo Offline
BritBike Forum member
ClutchCargo  Offline
BritBike Forum member

SE Florida
I think I'll use high temp powder coat (1200 degree) inside before install. What can I loose?

#295439 - 01/24/10 12:20 am Re: Exhaust pipe Blues - Prevention [Re: ClutchCargo]  
t120mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
t120mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

hampshire, england
IMO, blueing on a Meriden machine is almost obligatory. Shows it's getting used as ET intended! If you are worried about normal blueing on chrome pipes, I would say that's the least of your worries!

mike
Member #: 147
1960 T120 Bonneville
1999 H*%^a VFR 800 FI
V4 Triton Project (still keeping me sane (Ha-Ha!))
#295450 - 01/24/10 1:36 am Re: Exhaust pipe Blues - Prevention [Re: t120mike]  
Fisherman Offline
BritBike Forum member
Fisherman  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Tennessee
I have used hi-temp paint on the inside my last two sets of new chromed pipes, one on the '72 TR6 and one on the '66 BSA. Both sets of pipes turned a nice gold color. I set the idle jets a little rich as I was breaking in the pipes, and didn't let the bike idle for any length of time.

If it works on a Hinckley, it works. They run as lean as a west Texas jackrabbit.

Last edited by Fisherman; 01/24/10 1:36 am.

'Never argue with an idiot, they'll bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience'

'72 TR6
'12 Hinckley Scrambler
'95 FLHTC Road Sofa
#295471 - 01/24/10 4:24 am Re: Exhaust pipe Blues - Prevention [Re: Fisherman]  
Jack Adams Offline
BritBike Forum member
Jack Adams  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Noblesville, IN
If you are really concerned about your pipes going blue, get them Jet-Hot coated.The pipes on my Hot-Rod look exactly the same as they did when I got them done by Jet-Hot 4-5 years ago. In fact they(Jet-Hot) guarantee no blueing. Jack

#295483 - 01/24/10 7:22 am Re: Exhaust pipe Blues - Prevention [Re: john toghill]  
Blapper Offline
BritBike Forum member
Blapper  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Kent UK
Hi John,

"The pipes on the Hinckley bonnies are chrome plated SS and I can assure you, if untreated they WILL go very blue a long way along their length due to the air injection system and the lean settings Blap"

That's because as far as the temps are concerned they are chrome John - don't let the stainless insides fool you. Question: Stainless inside chrome outside - WHY? confused

I have had prolly six bikes with stainless zorsts and never had them go further than straw. Ever.

IME, bikes who's chrome pipes get well sooted before they are pushed harder don't blue much or at all whereas those classic bikes whose pipes are pounded on from new go blue quickly. The soot acts like ceramic coating the insides.

As to set-up, agreed. For sure.

#295567 - 01/24/10 6:24 pm Re: Exhaust pipe Blues - Prevention [Re: Blapper]  
john toghill Offline
BritBike Forum member
john toghill  Offline
BritBike Forum member

chatham kent UK
Hello Blap,
"I have had prolly six bikes with stainless zorsts and never had them go further than straw. Ever."

Perhaps it's to do with the quality or grade of the SS? Maybe the amount of chrome in the SS? I dunno, I have to admit to knowing nothing about metallurgy whistle
But my pipes are definitely not chrome plated and are straw the whole length, now going brown by the head with a hint of blue patches. Not pretty frown
My timing is spot on and I set up my single carb with a colour-tune and the plugs are a very good colour, although I have to admit that now it's pretty much run in I do like to give it a little thrash now and again.
I may consider getting new pipes soon and if so will use blue shield to maintain their looks as much as poss.
As an aside, went for my first ride today grin Now the snow's gone and the rain has washed the salt away it was good to go for a quick spin. For various reasons I've been unable to use the bike for about three months or more and my petrol had gorn orf cry bike didn't wanna go mad
After draining the tank and putting in a gallon of fresh stuff it started on the first kick laugh But while checking the old beast over saw some bubbles and oil seeping out of the front rocker spindle ! my Krankvent was stuck shut!!!!! Not had this happen with one of these before and for the time being I've disconnected it and now all is well. I'm aware that you, and a few others have Kranvents hooked up so keep your peepers on it.
John

#295610 - 01/25/10 12:37 am Re: Exhaust pipe Blues - Prevention [Re: john toghill]  
t120mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
t120mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

hampshire, england
John,
Was in Himmel ist ein Krankvent? Hat man das Fenster im Krankenhaus auf lassen?
Just curious!

mike
Member #: 147
1960 T120 Bonneville
1999 H*%^a VFR 800 FI
V4 Triton Project (still keeping me sane (Ha-Ha!))
#295649 - 01/25/10 8:01 am Re: Exhaust pipe Blues - Prevention [Re: t120mike]  
Blapper Offline
BritBike Forum member
Blapper  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Kent UK
Hi John/Mike,

Thanks for the warning John. Where do you have yours fitted (incl. distance of the valve from wherever)? Mine is off the front cavity and the valve is up under the steering head.

Mike, it is a high quality PCV (sort of) that we use in our breathers to establish negative pressure in the crankcases.

Quote:
If you are worried about normal blueing on chrome pipes, I would say that's the least of your worries!

True.

#295716 - 01/25/10 6:09 pm Re: Exhaust pipe Blues - Prevention [Re: Blapper]  
dave - NV Offline
BritBike Forum member
dave - NV  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Elko, Nevada USA
At one time I too had the 'Krankvent valve' on my Goldie crud up with moisture and oil fumes in the winter time. A soak in hot soapy water cleaned it up nicely. I would be wary of using solvents or compressed air to clear the valve for fear of damage.

BTW, aren't the exhaust pipes on a Well Ridden BI supposed to be a beauteous blue changing to yellow? Art.

Last edited by dave - NV; 01/25/10 6:13 pm.

dave - NV
#295717 - 01/25/10 6:11 pm Re: Exhaust pipe Blues - Prevention [Re: t120mike]  
john toghill Offline
BritBike Forum member
john toghill  Offline
BritBike Forum member

chatham kent UK
Originally Posted By: t120mike
John,
Was in Himmel ist ein Krankvent? Hat man das Fenster im Krankenhaus auf lassen?
Just curious!

Google translation:- Heaven is a Krankvent? If you leave the window at the hospital? help
What you smokin Mike? Or have you had some dodgy liquor ?

#295721 - 01/25/10 6:25 pm Re: Exhaust pipe Blues - Prevention [Re: john toghill]  
Ger B Offline
BritBike Forum member
Ger B  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NL
Quote:
auf lassen

Aufgelassen.
Do not believe every internet translation machine. laughing

Quote:
some dodgy liquor

Weinbrand maybe?
whisky

Ger B

#295723 - 01/25/10 6:27 pm Re: Exhaust pipe Blues - Prevention [Re: Blapper]  
john toghill Offline
BritBike Forum member
john toghill  Offline
BritBike Forum member

chatham kent UK
Had mine fitted about 6" up from the primary case vent, just before the T for the oil tank breather Blap.
John

#295724 - 01/25/10 6:33 pm Re: Exhaust pipe Blues - Prevention [Re: dave - NV]  
john toghill Offline
BritBike Forum member
john toghill  Offline
BritBike Forum member

chatham kent UK
Originally Posted By: dave - NV
At one time I too had the 'Krankvent valve' on my Goldie crud up with moisture and oil fumes in the winter time. A soak in hot soapy water cleaned it up nicely. I would be wary of using solvents or compressed air to clear the valve for fear of damage.

BTW, aren't the exhaust pipes on a Well Ridden BI supposed to be a beauteous blue changing to yellow? Art.

Hi Dave, once it was removed it unstuck itself without any assistance. I've got one on my Sunbeam and it's never stuck even after being left for long periods but for the time being I'm going to leave it off the triumph, as without it, there's no sign of any leaking from pressure and the bike is going very well. Obviously the T140's standard breathing system is up to the job, which isn't true for the Beam.
I don't mind a bit of blue, it's this orrible brown and the rest of the stainless pipes are gold right down to the silencer. Not really a big deal but my vanity may make me want to do something about one day
John

#295732 - 01/25/10 7:11 pm Re: Exhaust pipe Blues - Prevention [Re: john toghill]  
Blapper Offline
BritBike Forum member
Blapper  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Kent UK
Quote:
A soak in hot soapy water cleaned it up nicely. I would be wary of using solvents or compressed air to clear the valve for fear of damage.

I was thinking that if it happens to me I would be using Diesel but if soapy water works, I'll use that.

Mike: Boycott still bores for England, but he does it on Test match Special (Radio 4). Jeez, his braying gets on yer tits dunnit?

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.626s Queries: 15 (0.059s) Memory: 0.9503 MB (Peak: 1.2463 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-23 22:24:11 UTC