BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
desertrat
desertrat
Arizona
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
211 registered members (750Bonny), 1,835 guests, and 546 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 188
koan58 100
Stuart 88
NickL 65
Popular Topics(Views)
436,895 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,269
Posts632,124
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#29356 - 09/19/07 7:49 pm A65. BATTERY TYPE?  
rebelpaul Offline
BritBike Forum member
rebelpaul  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Essex,England.
Hi Guys,need your advice on battery type! I'm nearing the end of my 1964 A65R full rebuild,just the wiring to do!The bike, as far as I know has the original Lucas RM19 alternator(3 wire)its original set-up was for 6volt which I'm upgrading to 12volt utilising a voltage regulator instead of the rectifier and zenor diode.My main question is battery type?standard acid,sealed unit or gel type?apart from the overall size of the sealed unit and gel batteries being smaller,has anyone got experience of these within the A65 set-up or thoughts on them and what size AH rating would you recommend? I look forward to your replies.Cheers,Paul.

78 TRIUMPH T140v BONNEVILLE
52 TRIUMPH 6T THUNDERBIRD (custom)
64/65 BSA A65 ROCKET (trike)
68 BSA B25 FLEETSTAR
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#29357 - 09/20/07 2:28 am Re: A65. BATTERY TYPE?  
Mark Z Online content
BritBike Forum member
Mark Z  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Owego, NY, USA
The standard for 12V systems without electric start is 5AH. The battery is only utilized during starting and at low rpms, so more amp hours is really not necessary, and may tax your charging system's ability to keep the battery charged.

Your choice of a battery might be determined by the size of the battery holder. The standard 12V battery for 12V models is 3" X 5" X 5.5" tall, but the 6V battery holder may be shorter, I'm not sure. If it is, don't worry, 12V batteries are available in a wide variety of sizes and shapes, you just have to get a look at a good catalog.

As far as the type of battery, it's just a matter of price vs. convenience. They will all "do the job". With maintenance-free or gel, you'll never have to worry about ruining your paint and chrome with spilt acid.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
#29358 - 09/20/07 10:06 am Re: A65. BATTERY TYPE?  
GREEN MONSTER Offline
BritBike Forum member
GREEN MONSTER  Offline
BritBike Forum member

southern N.H.
Paul I strongly recommend UPGRADING get rid of the feeble excuse for a charging system and go with the 3 wire 3 phase SPARKS stator and rotor.
In regards to the battery a stock late model A65 12 volt is 7ah.

If you have gone so far as to convert everything to 12 volt and a solid state voltage regulator and 9ah GELL CELL (recommended) do you're self and the bike a favor finish the rest of the equation.
Remember 3 wire does NOT mean 3 phase = 9 magnets single phase = 6 magnets.

Good Night and Good Luck Signed GreenMonster

Good Night and Good Luck Signed GreenMonster
#29359 - 09/20/07 11:40 am Re: A65. BATTERY TYPE?  
Rich B Online happy
Rich B  Online Happy

Stone Creek OH USA
If you have the stock battery box, you will not be able to fit the later size battery in it. The battery boxes provided on that vintage are rather small. Measure it and do an online search of batteries for motorcycles and find a 12V AGM to fit. Gut feeling, a 5A AGM will just fit. I am running a 3A AGM on my 65 LC with no problems.

If the rotor is good and you actually RIDE the bike, the smaller batteries will work fine. Since this is a Rocket, have you rewired it to get rid of the overly complex & somewhat illogical electrical system? You can use stock switch gear with a simplified 12V system. It will be a mix of 64/65R type headlight wiring with 67/68 type main system.

Unless you are running a lot of electrical accessories, the stock alternator, provided it has a known good or new rotor is adequate. But, it does require the bike be ridden. 5 miles to the adult watering hole and back is not being ridden. Keeping the battery charged is a function of system load, rate of charge, and time. As in the faster you ride it for a long period is a good thing for the battery.

If you are not going to ride it frequently and hard, then you may want to consider the expense of a 3 phase system. Or if you are adding heated grips, MP3 player, GPS and other necessities of modern life to your A65, then you need the 3 phase.

Life is too short to drink cheap, bad beer.
#29360 - 09/20/07 7:29 pm Re: A65. BATTERY TYPE?  
rebelpaul Offline
BritBike Forum member
rebelpaul  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Essex,England.
Thanks for the input guys,As I said my A65R is a total rebuild and refit from the ground up,i.e bought frame then bought engine then bought forks then wheels etc!needless to say there is NO wiring on the bike at all,I will be making it up myself including the main loom which I have done on 2 previous bikes.At present GREEN MONSTER I can't afford the new 3 phase upgrade,got to draw a line somewhere in the $$ outlay,but I accept what you say,maybe in the future.At this time of my life I'm a fairweather rider hence my interest in the modern batteries that according to the sellers stay up longer and can be rescued from a deep discharge.As for the battery carrier I can make a "bespoke" one(posh name for a DIY job)to fit the type of battery I end up with.I would like to know if anyone else has one fitted.Cheers,Paul.

68 BSA B25 FLEETSTAR
#29361 - 09/20/07 9:56 pm Re: A65. BATTERY TYPE?  
BSA_WM20 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Sydney Australia
OK if you are not a stickler for originality then go for a coiled cell battery.
Paul Geoff sells one particular brand & type but there are more than one supplier. Here in OZ the biggest brand is Optima.
This type of battery is extreamly well suited to really rough use as it gets on a motorcycle and because each cell has just one very long plate wound into a spiral, it will not vibrate to death as many modern "motorcycle ? " batteries do.
They are a little more expensive than a "normal" battery but are worth every cent as they definatly will not self discharge over time when not used.
I use them exclusively in my wedding cars that could sit for up to 6 months idle and the Optimas will fire up the 7 litre motors no sweat where as previously I had to remember to recharge the "super heavy duty long life extreame conditions marine " batteries every 2 months or they would just not be able to crank over the motors.
Good batteries are essential on A50/65's as in the event of a alternator failure they are all that stands in between riding home & a long push.
While there are a lot of pundits out there who stead fastly believe that a battery is an optional extra when you stop & think about it they are really playing Russian Roulette with their lives as any failure of any part of the generating system will leave them with a dead motor which is not a pretty thought as you are over reving the motor to pass the 36 wheeler going up the mountin road and set of oncomming headlamps suddenly appear.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
#29362 - 09/21/07 7:36 pm Re: A65. BATTERY TYPE?  
rebelpaul Offline
BritBike Forum member
rebelpaul  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Essex,England.
Hi again Trevor,You seem to be on my wave length but "coiled cell" battery! can you explain in simple lingo please as I don't think I've heard of that one,I know the brand optima as here in the UK they market trickle chargers for bike batteries but I have'nt seen any batteries by them.Rgds,Paul.

68 BSA B25 FLEETSTAR
#29363 - 09/21/07 11:52 pm Re: A65. BATTERY TYPE?  
BSA_WM20 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Sydney Australia
The only brand name that I know is Optima <http://www.optimabatteries.com.au/>.
You can troll through their web site, it will explain the technology much better that I can reitterate it to you.
Paul Geoff <http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffybatteries.htm> has a different brand using a different chemistry & same construction called Cyclon.
Cyclon comes from the USA <www.enersysreservepower.com/cyc_b.asp - 10k> and you can buy them in 2V individual units so pack 3 together for 6V or 6 together for 12V.
Cyclon make some 6V packs and this is what Paul stocks.

The local battery vendors in OZ do not stock the small 6V spiral batteries, only the car size ones.
I do use the 12 V ones in my hire cars.
The first time I bought the biggest one that would fit into the compartment, it was a bit over $ 500.00 so I tried the next size down which worked perfectly so I went down in size again & the last one that I bought was the smallest car size that Optima make. Itn is designed for small, 4 cylinder cars but cranks over the massive 7 Litre RR motor no problems and at $ 250.00 is the same price as the extra heavy duty batteries that I had been buying that were only lasting 1 to 2 years.
The Optima batteries have been in for 7 to 3 years without a glitch. A bit off the BSA track but just to give you an idea about how good they are.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
#29364 - 09/22/07 9:30 pm Re: A65. BATTERY TYPE?  
rebelpaul Offline
BritBike Forum member
rebelpaul  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Essex,England.
Many thanks Trevor,I look them up,Cheers,Paul.

68 BSA B25 FLEETSTAR

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 1.102s Queries: 14 (0.005s) Memory: 0.8544 MB (Peak: 1.0394 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-21 02:40:07 UTC