BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Lancs Tiger
Lancs Tiger
Wigan, Lancs, England
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
213 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,710 guests, and 564 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews
9958 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 191
koan58 100
Stuart 84
NickL 72
Popular Topics(Views)
438,248 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,286
Posts632,373
Members9,958
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#291838 - 01/01/10 10:29 pm Re: got anti wet sump valve for birthday [Re: ian928]  
Ray Smith Offline
BritBike Forum member
Ray Smith  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Wales
Don"t install the valve.If you insist on doing so do not install it next to the tank.That way oil below the valve will drain into the engine and you will have an empty oil pipe between the valve and the pump.When you start the engine it will be several minutes before the pump manages to draw oil via the empty pipe and the valve into the engine in that time your big ends will be without oil pressure. They will not last long.If you install the valve put it directly on to the the inlet pipe fitting.Best grit your teeth pull off the timing cover and investigate the problem.A slow leak into the engine seems almost general

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#292691 - 01/07/10 4:33 am Re: got anti wet sump valve for birthday [Re: wadeschields]  
beezagrot Offline
BritBike Forum member
beezagrot  Offline
BritBike Forum member

australia
i believe the oil pump should be in top condition to minimise wet sumping.i have seen oil pumps mounted on studs,others with bolts.with the bolts i drill holes in the bolt head so i can wire all three bolt heads together after tightening.in theory this should prevent pump bolts vibrating loose.a proper fitting gasket is essential.the later cast iron pumps are best but hey if ya can afford an srm pump all the better.an oil filter on the return line goes along way to keep the blood clean,sump plate with magnetic drain plug also a useful addition.a regular oil change is also a good habit to get into.

#292704 - 01/07/10 7:34 am Re: got anti wet sump valve for birthday [Re: beezagrot]  
johnnyrvf Offline
BritBike Forum member
johnnyrvf  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Dordogne, SW France
Just my 2 centimes worth; my A65 had not run for at least 8 years when I got it, I spent my time getting it running and whilst stripping the primary side NEVER looked behind the inner cover on the timing side. I put up a note on the board that I had filled the tank several weeks before start up and the level did'nt move, I had expected some wet sumping so why no oil drain into the engine? The concensus of opinion was that as the pump had not drawn oil there may have been an air lock in the feed line ; I run the bike regularly now and even if it is left for a month or so the oil level in the tank does'nt drop appreciably, all I can suggest is get in there and fix it because losing this much oil past the pump in such short time strongly suggests something is WRONG which won't be fixed by an inline valve. Johnny.

What d'ya mean it won't rev to 10?
1965 BSA A65D Lightning Rocket
1976 K*w*s*ki Z900.
1978 Triumph Bonn3ville (930 T160 Powered T140)
1988 H*nd* RC30
1990 Moto Guzzi California 3
1993 Y*m*h* TDM 850
#293324 - 01/10/10 2:59 pm Re: got anti wet sump valve for birthday [Re: johnnyrvf]  
Nonmilagno Offline
BritBike Forum member
Nonmilagno  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Jacksonville, Oregon
Working from memory here (NOT the most reliable), don't Velocettes use a spring-loaded check valve on the feed line just below the oil tank?

I have this problem with my '40 Indian Scout. I've been thinking about installing a manual valve at the oil tank and wiring it through the ignition switch. That way it would only start with the valve in the "ON" position. Anyone tried this?

Don
'71 BMW R75
'07 Suzuki Vstrom 650
'09 Yamaha XT250
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.106s Queries: 16 (0.006s) Memory: 0.8180 MB (Peak: 0.9670 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-22 20:20:50 UTC