one year or for life*

BritBike Forum

Sponsors campaign ads..
BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor
Shout Box

BritBike.com Decals & Stickers (Free shipping)
BritBike.com decals & stickers
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Who's Online
54 registered (AngloBike, MattL, bodine031, Mar1doc, Rich B, JBMorris, Red Lapierre, Redmoggy, DBDBrian, beezageezauk, dave jones, NickL, drp, Endo, KevRasen, steve m1, paulberry, M Shearer, JER.Hill, Elijah, Allan Gill, bsawood, L.A.B., ATEN, razor, Alan_nc, 748kr, Morgan, Phil Beresford, paul67, TRIBSAUK, wilksville, HST Doctor, rocketgoldie, Stuart, '59 Bonnie, Tasman, Pete R, ChrisX, Pete C, jimmymckenna, John Goodwin, C.B.S, Lekkie, MalRed, kevin, jim milewski, tbird649, Kent Shaun, GS DAVE, Old Cafe Racer, Shane in Oz, jimm, Rodger), 476 Guests and 75 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TStartA65L, gstraub, Jan Konecny, Revis, amedina
7838 Registered Users
Forum Stats
7838 Members
33 Forums
52083 Topics
482920 Posts

Max Online: 1804 @ 03/01/11 6:54 pm
Top Posters
RF Whatley 10014
John Healy 8490
Lannis 8213
Alex 7328
ricochetrider 7151
JubeePrince 6024
Stuart 5873
kommando 5515
Jon W. Whitley 4722
Kent Shaun 4655
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#288164 - 12/10/09 12:45 am Shifter Cam Plate
BritinAlma Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Ontario Canada
Hi Guys
I have been rebuilding the gearbox on my 69 Bonnie when I inspected the shifter cam plate I found it worn and decided to change it , I managed to find one on e-bay but when it arrived it was bigger and had less detents in it , I looked in my manual and it seems to picture my origional cam plate and uses one of the detents to hold the plate in place when putting the gearbox bad together , my question is will the new bigger plate work and why is it different ?
Thanks Max

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Upgrade your BritBike Forum membership for one year or for Life*
#288166 - 12/10/09 12:49 am Re: Shifter Cam Plate [Re: BritinAlma]
DMadigan Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: ca, us
At some point they changed the shift forks from brass with rollers in the camplate to steel with no rollers. Could that be the difference?

#288171 - 12/10/09 1:16 am Re: Shifter Cam Plate [Re: DMadigan]
mblab Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Asheville, NC
Do you have a 4 speed? I think they are all the same. Well, at least the ones I've seen. I've interchanged bronze with steel forks without having any problems with the cam.
What was worn on the cam?
Mike

Edited by mblab (12/10/09 1:23 am)

#288173 - 12/10/09 1:37 am Re: Shifter Cam Plate [Re: mblab]
BritinAlma Offline
BritBike Forum member

Yes it is a 4 speed and my shifter fork are steel with rollers , the shifter fork groove is worn as well as the outside edge where the sprung plunger rides , it would probably be Ok but I figured that as I had it in my hand now would be the time to change it instead of second guessing myself the middle of next summer
Max

#288184 - 12/10/09 3:06 am Re: Shifter Cam Plate [Re: BritinAlma]
M-Runner Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Oregon
The early {Pre 69} forks were steel with free rollers, replaced with alloy forks and fixed rollers. The cam plate and detent plunger were also changed at this point. The cam plate has fewer notches.

I run these later componants in all of my mid/late 60's bikes. I get very few false neutrals or missed shifts:

Shift Cam Plate 57-4055
Detent Plunger 57-3660
Fork (L/S) 57-4307
Fork (M/S) 57-4308

Polish the edge of the shift cam where the plunger rides, to a high finish.

#288185 - 12/10/09 3:17 am Re: Shifter Cam Plate [Re: BritinAlma]
DMadigan Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: ca, us
The groove from the indexing plunger probably makes it shift smoother than originally. I do not know why in Tartarus they did not put a roller on the end. It could be oriented by extending the cylinder over the sides of the camplate. The fork groove is a problem. It might let the gears disengage. Triumphs do not have undercut dogs to help keep them from pushing apart under load.

#288187 - 12/10/09 3:37 am Re: Shifter Cam Plate [Re: DMadigan]
John Healy Offline

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts
David is right, Triumph four speed gears are not back cut, but this was corrected with the five speed box. The Triumph five speed gears are back cut.

The 57-4055 is a forging and in IMHO a quality piece. It should be used with the 57-3660 detent as suggested by Mr-runner above. It is my favorite 4 speed camplate!

#288280 - 12/10/09 6:54 pm Re: Shifter Cam Plate [Re: John Healy]
RF Whatley Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: The sunny South
Additionally, the lack of the extra neutral position between 2nd and 3rd will not keep you from setting the camplate in that position for assembly. Obviously the camplate can still be set in that position, the notch simply makes it stupid-proof. laughing

The truth is that the gear teeth on the quadrant that interface with the gear on the rear of the camplate are so course that the camplate being off 1 degree really doesn't slow you down on assembly. The large teeth allow for a great deal of inaccuracy during the quadrant timing process, and the job goes just as fast.

So there is nothing to loose in the newer design camplate and certainly smoother shifting to gain.

bigt

RF Whatley
Atlanta, GA
http://www.gabma.us/

The GABMA newsletter. What's on the back of your toilet?

#288307 - 12/10/09 10:12 pm Re: Shifter Cam Plate [Re: RF Whatley]
BritinAlma Offline
BritBike Forum member

Thanks
this is the kind of answer I was hoping for
Max

#318336 - 06/14/10 9:34 am Re: Shifter Cam Plate [Re: John Healy]
DC Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Scotland
Originally Posted By: John Healy

The 57-4055 is a forging and in IMHO a quality piece. It should be used with the 57-3660 detent as suggested by Mr-runner above. It is my favorite 4 speed camplate!

I need to replace the original camplate in my '68 T120.Although I can get the correct camplate for that year, I would prefer to take the opportunity to improve the shifting.
From reading the above, it would appear that the 57-5055 cam and 57-3660 plunger are compatible with all of the older components?
Is that correct? (I'd rather not have to replace the selector forks and plunger housing if not necessary)
Thanks

#318462 - 06/14/10 11:00 pm Re: Shifter Cam Plate [Re: DC]
RF Whatley Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: The sunny South
Without taking the time to look up the parts you mentioned, IME almost all the 4-speed parts since the mid-1950's are interchangeable... provided they are of the same ratio set and tooth counts.

There are minor annoying differences like the layshaft resident speedo drive, and the longer journals of the pre-unit layshafts. But generally speaking shifter camplates and plungers would be a direct swap.

RF Whatley
Atlanta, GA
http://www.gabma.us/

The GABMA newsletter. What's on the back of your toilet?

Moderator:  John Healy 

Untitled Document

Home, Sponsors
Newsletter, Regalia
Calendar, Bike Project
BritBike Museum
Spiders Cartoons

"OLD" BritBike Forum

DVD- Manuals & Parts books
BritBike Stickers & Decals

Upgrade your membership-
one year or for life*