BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
kboyd
kboyd
Kansas
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
210 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,645 guests, and 563 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
revans, Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery
9959 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 193
koan58 99
Stuart 83
NickL 73
Popular Topics(Views)
438,871 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,289
Posts632,443
Members9,959
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#286740 - 12/01/09 4:29 pm Bent lower yoke/ Triple Tree  
dracko Offline
BritBike Forum member
dracko  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Canada
Hey guys, I recently bought a set of Trees from a member on the board here and the lower yoke is bent. Just wondering if anybody has a tried and true method of straightening them. I was thinking about using some shims and a vice and clamping them/bending them a little at a time, but I'm all ears because I've never attempted this before. They are 68-70 Triumph 650 trees.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by dracko; 12/01/09 4:29 pm.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#286749 - 12/01/09 5:54 pm Re: Bent lower yoke/ Triple Tree [Re: dracko]  
RF Whatley Online content
BritBike Forum member
RF Whatley  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

North Georgia, USA
Typically the crown does not bend becasue there is not enough fork stantion engagement there to effect a bend. So it's the triple tree you need to worry about.

The triple tree either looks like a piece of spaghetti (big crash; non-fixable), or it's only out a couple of degrees (little crash; repairable). Additionally, 95% of the time the forks get pushed to one side. That is to say, it's hardly ever a straight-on hit, owing to the fact that most riders try to react in some way to the car/ guard rail/ animal blocking their path. Typically, these type crashes result in damage to only one side of the tree most of the time.

The best way to straighten a triple tree in this common condition is to assemble the tree and crown onto the bike and install 2 brand-new naked stantion tubes (with snug top caps and pinch bolts). By simple observation of the parallelism you can tell which tube has been pushed back. [Based of course on the assumption that a passing motorist did not yank the bike's front end forward. laughing ]

All you have to do then is pull the lagging stantion back to it's original forward position. This is done by turning the fork assembly in the opposite direction of the wreck, placing the foot firmly upon the forward motor mount, and making a judicious application of physical strength at the bottom of the affected stantion to pull it back into parallel with its neighbor.

Works every time. Takes about 4 or 5 tugs and 15 minutes.

Your back will only hurt for a week. bigt

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
Cornelia, GA

"Shop Boy" at Rodi British Bikes
#286756 - 12/01/09 6:18 pm Re: Bent lower yoke/ Triple Tree [Re: RF Whatley]  
Gordo in Comox Offline
BritBike Forum member
Gordo in Comox  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Comox BC Canada
I think you will be surprised how soft the triples are. Before I start with the straightening I put good tubes into the crown tapers (off the frame) and tighten up the top nuts to bring the tubes solidly into the tapers. This will give you an idea if the crown is bent when you look at the distance between the tubes as you move toward the bottom. The fore and aft issue is also somewhat evident but not easy to see this way.

Gordo

Without frequent roadside repairs there is no fun in riding!
#286935 - 12/02/09 7:46 pm Re: Bent lower yoke/ Triple Tree [Re: Gordo in Comox]  
dracko Offline
BritBike Forum member
dracko  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Canada
Hey Whatley and Gordo, thanks alot for the info. The trees aren't bent much, so it sounds like it won't take much to straighten them out. I don't have a new pair of tubes to use, nor will I any time soon as I've since bought a new lower tree locally and have the front end partially assembled with some "used" tubes. But maybe down the road I'll straighten them out before selling them. Unless someone is looking to buy a slightly tweaked lower tree for a 68-70 Trump?

thanks again! I appreciate the info.

#286954 - 12/02/09 10:55 pm Re: Bent lower yoke/ Triple Tree [Re: dracko]  
Bob G Offline
BritBike Forum member
Bob G  Offline
BritBike Forum member

redondo beach, ca
You can easily straighten triple trees on a hydraulic press and a v-block. If any one wants the procedure just let me know. I have probably done a couple dozen over the years.

Bob Gregor
#287403 - 12/05/09 10:09 am Re: Bent lower yoke/ Triple Tree [Re: Bob G]  
TJD Offline
BritBike Forum member
TJD  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Devonport Tasmania
Have a look at section G4 of the workshop manual.

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.394s Queries: 15 (0.082s) Memory: 0.8269 MB (Peak: 0.9846 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-23 13:04:25 UTC