BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
dommie90
dommie90
bac o burk qld
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
197 registered members (21inGoldie), 1,643 guests, and 516 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Berni, johnguppy, michael morgan, Xavier, J. Grant
9953 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 180
koan58 95
Stuart 82
Popular Topics(Views)
435,061 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,247
Posts631,778
Members9,953
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#281880 - 11/01/09 12:24 am Wiring diagram 1968 T100C  
rightshifter Offline
BritBike Forum member
rightshifter  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Butler PA
Does anyone have a wiring diagram or know where I can get one, for a 1968 T100C. The ones in the manual are incorrect, at least the manual that I have does not show the "C" model. They do not show the "C" model with no amp meter and a light switch and dipper in the headlight. I can figure thois out, but it would be a lot easier to have a diagram.
Thanks

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#281883 - 11/01/09 1:12 am Re: Wiring diagram 1968 T100C [Re: rightshifter]  
Woody1911a1 Offline
BritBike Forum member
Woody1911a1  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Marblehead,Ma USA

#281943 - 11/01/09 2:37 pm Re: Wiring diagram 1968 T100C [Re: Woody1911a1]  
rightshifter Offline
BritBike Forum member
rightshifter  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Butler PA
Thanks Woody, but the diagram shown is a different one than the T100C with an amp meter, etc. The one shown is a very old book (that is petty much the same, but different) I am looking for something including serial number 64255. The book I have starts at serial number H57083 Catalogue number 9. Maybe number 10.
Still looking,
Thanks again
rightshifter

#281944 - 11/01/09 2:44 pm Re: Wiring diagram 1968 T100C [Re: rightshifter]  
rightshifter Offline
BritBike Forum member
rightshifter  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Butler PA
Sorry,was looking at the parts book when I replied. I have workshop manual from serial number H65573, but it is the wrong diagram.
rightshifter

#281971 - 11/01/09 7:29 pm Re: Wiring diagram 1968 T100C [Re: rightshifter]  
Stuart Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Hi,

Originally Posted By: rightshifter
I have workshop manual from serial number H65573,

No you don't, unless you have a pirate manual, or a Haynes (aka Heinous) which is nearly as bad. frown If you've a genuine Triumph manual, anything mentioning "serial number H65573" is a supplement to the original manual, because that number's the beginning of the '69-season 500's - in the case of the electrics for example, it mentions/shows the oil pressure switch and warning light, 'cos they were new for '69.

Nevertheless, depending on what your bike actually has or doesn't have fitted, I appreciate that the genuine manual might not appear to be much help at first glance. However, what you have to bear in mind is, when it was compiled, the manual wasn't aimed at Joe Owner but at experienced dealer mechanics, who'd either been on a factory/importer course or who could work out for themseleves what they should be looking at.

If you want some help, or confirmation that what you've figured out is correct, we could do with a some more information: what sort of light switch (rotary or toggle) in the headlamp, does the bike have a battery, what colour(s) is the cable from the battery to the headlamp area (for connection to the non-existent ammeter)?

Hth.

Regards,

#282010 - 11/01/09 11:50 pm Re: Wiring diagram 1968 T100C [Re: Stuart]  
Derry Hincks Offline
BritBike Forum member
Derry Hincks  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Bordon, England
<No you don't, unless you have a pirate manual>
Odd, because I have one like rightshifter as well. It also contains a supplement for updating to the '69 condition.

Derry.

Derry.

1969 T100S under reconstruction
GSX-R750K2 (having been rebuilt from a crashed wreck)
#282016 - 11/02/09 12:32 am Re: Wiring diagram 1968 T100C [Re: Derry Hincks]  
Stuart Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Hi Derry,

Originally Posted By: Derry Hincks
<No you don't, unless you have a pirate manual>
Odd, because I have one like rightshifter as well. It also contains a supplement for updating to the '69 condition.

Perhaps there's a slight misunderstanding: 'rightshifter' wrote "I have workshop manual from serial number H65573" (my italics); afaik, the genuine Triumph workshop manual covers the entire 'C' range, with supplements in each chapter as required to update the manual for the '69-on changes; following the link posted by Woodie, there also appears (a) further supplement(s) to update it for the '71-on changes. Otoh, I read what 'rightshifter' wrote as meaning he had an entire manual that just covered the '69-on 500's. Perhaps he could clarify?

Hth.

Regards,

#282047 - 11/02/09 11:44 am Re: Wiring diagram 1968 T100C [Re: Stuart]  
Derry Hincks Offline
BritBike Forum member
Derry Hincks  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Bordon, England
Hi Stuart got it now.

The main manual front page says, ' Unit construction .... T100 T90 5TA 3TA including from engine no. H65573'. In this part for instance it talks about a plain main bearing.

The supplement front page says, 'Twin cylinder .... T100S T100T T100C T100R from engine number H65573.' As expected in this supplement it gives details about the timing side ball bearing.

Derry.

Derry.

1969 T100S under reconstruction
GSX-R750K2 (having been rebuilt from a crashed wreck)
#282071 - 11/02/09 4:17 pm Re: Wiring diagram 1968 T100C [Re: Derry Hincks]  
rightshifter Offline
BritBike Forum member
rightshifter  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Butler PA
Let me bring you up to date. The manual is as Derry wrote a Supplement to bring it up to date for 1969. However, it does not show any wiring diagram for the "C" model with no amp gauge and other small differences between the model. The existing wire loom (should have been original) has different wire colors. Does not have a wire for the amp gauge. The light switch is a toggle (in headlight)and the dipper is in the headlamp along with the green and red warning lights. It appears that the wire from the battery to the switch is brown/blue, and this also goes to the zener diode. No amp gauge provision.
I understand there is the original manual from serial number H29733 that the supplement was updated from, and I don't know if ther are different diagrams.

#282093 - 11/02/09 6:09 pm Re: Wiring diagram 1968 T100C [Re: rightshifter]  
SBoyd Offline
BritBike Forum member
SBoyd  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Virginia, USA
FWIW
I have searched my many manuals and the Kim CD collection and cannot find that particular 1968 diagram with battery, zener, and no ammeter and dipswitch in the shell.
Presumably it is VERY close to a 1968 TR6C as well and can't find one of those either.

You may have to figure it out on your own. Color codes for the lighting are most likely similar to the road models.

Yes brown/blue is commonly battery feed and changes to brown/white after the ammeter on some models. So it would make sense that brown/blue goes directly to the zener on yours.

Good luck
>>sb

Stop the insanity.
#282094 - 11/02/09 6:11 pm Re: Wiring diagram 1968 T100C [Re: rightshifter]  
JubeePrince Online content
Life member
JubeePrince  Online Content

Life member

Back on the mainland!
shifty -

In the supplement (99-0950), sec. H, fig. H27 shows the toggle switch with the dip switch light (green) and the oil pressure light (red). It also shows the ammeter.

Seems to me you could ignore the ammeter in the schematic and just use the brown/blue - brown/white as the power feed to the switch......or am I missing something???? :confused

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
#282212 - 11/03/09 12:25 pm Re: Wiring diagram 1968 T100C [Re: rightshifter]  
Stuart Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Hi,

The manual is as Derry wrote a Supplement to bring it up to date for 1969.
I understand there is the original manual from serial number H29733 that the supplement was updated from, and I don't know if ther are different diagrams.

Uh-uh, you're still not understanding. The genuine '69-on supplement isn't separate from the original manual, it's part of it - what you find in the loose-leaf folder that is a genuine manual is, say, 'Section A - Lubrication system' followed by 'Section AA - Lubrication system' followed by 'Section B - Engine' followed by 'Section BB - Engine' etc., etc. Thus, for the bits that weren't updated in '69 (which is most of it), you can refer back.

That said, it doesn't actually help you here - the nearest previous wiring diagram is "Engine number H.49833 onwards", but that requires some inspired extrapolation also.

The existing wire loom (should have been original) has different wire colors. Does not have a wire for the amp gauge. The light switch is a toggle (in headlight)and the dipper is in the headlamp along with the green and red warning lights. It appears that the wire from the battery to the switch is brown/blue, and this also goes to the zener diode.

I suspect that what the bike would've had originally was/is most similar to the '69-on (page HH4 "Fig. HH5 (U.S.A.) 12 volt coil ignition. H65573 onwards") diagram. If you look at that, you can see:-

1. There isn't any separate "wire for the amp gauge".

With an ammeter in place, the Brown/Blue from the battery connects to one side while the other side is connected to the Brown/White that also connects rectifier, Zener diode and key switch. Therefore, as there isn't an ammeter, I suspect Brown/Blue was simply connected to Brown/White around the headlamp area.

The existing wire loom has different wire colors.
It appears that the wire from the battery to the switch is brown/blue, and this also goes to the zener diode.

Does Brown/Blue also go to the rectifier and key switch, but nothing else? If so, while this is more '71-on practice (when Triumph and BSA deleted the ammeter from all models), I'd be inclined to leave as-is (If It Ain't Broke Don't Fix It wink ).

The light switch is a toggle (in headlight)and the dipper is in the headlamp

In wiring diagram terms, it makes no difference where these switches are positioned; the wiring diagram is just a schematic.

However, look on the plastic casing of the toggle switch, if necessary under a strong light with a magnifying glass, for a five-figure number. Over the years, Lucas supplied Triumph with similar-looking but differently-wired ones, plus Lucas supplied similar-looking but differently-wired ones all over the British automotive industry. For the '69 wiring to work, you're looking for '35710'.

A dipper switch is a dipper switch.

in the headlamp along with the green and red warning lights.

As you can see in the '69-on diagram, the green light is high beam warning while the red light is oil pressure warning; unfortunately, as your bike's timing cover doesn't have provision for the o.p. switch, you can't use the red light for that. frown

Some earlier diagrams in the workshop manual show the red light being used for high beam warning, and no green light, while others don't show either but have a note about connecting a "main beam warning lamp" and an "ignition warning lamp" - the latter being "connected to an ignition coil by a white wire incorporated in the harness", but which side of the coil, etc. is left to the more-knowledgeable.

Hth.

Regards,

#282216 - 11/03/09 12:41 pm Re: Wiring diagram 1968 T100C [Re: JubeePrince]  
Stuart Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Hi Steve,

Originally Posted By: JubeePrince
In the supplement (99-0950), sec. H, fig. H27 shows
the oil pressure light (red).
am I missing something????

'Fraid so - although it's confusingly-coded just 'H', it actually applies to '69- (engine/frame number H65573) on. frown '69-on has an entirely different bottom end - end-fed crank with ball timing-side and roller drive-side main bearings, and an o.p. switch in the timing cover (essentially like your T140) - from up-to-'69, which has a bush-fed crank with ball drive-side main bearing, and no provision for an o.p. switch.

Hth.

Regards,

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.548s Queries: 15 (0.080s) Memory: 0.8957 MB (Peak: 1.1259 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-18 19:33:52 UTC