BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Kommandokenny
Kommandokenny
McKellar,Ontario
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
211 registered members (68 royalstar tony), 1,708 guests, and 514 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
johnguppy, michael morgan, Xavier, J. Grant, Jerry
9952 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 179
koan58 94
Stuart 83
Popular Topics(Views)
434,886 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,245
Posts631,753
Members9,952
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#28162 - 08/10/07 7:44 pm A65 rocker feed,gravity or pump fed?  
rebelpaul Offline
BritBike Forum member
rebelpaul  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Essex,England.
Hi Guys,I would like your thoughts or opinions please.I have a 1964 A65R,and I'm in the process of fitting the external spin-on oil filter in the return line and I'm considering fitting a "T" piece between the oil filter and the oil tank to feed the rockers.The original way is a gravity feed from the oil tank which would be sealed off.I know the later models had the rocker feed come off the oil line return pipe, my oil line pipes are the standard "in and out" only jobs,should I go ahead or not.The benefit as far as I can see is the rockers will be fed with cleaned oil and pushed through.Cheers,Paul.

78 TRIUMPH T140v BONNEVILLE
52 TRIUMPH 6T THUNDERBIRD (custom)
64/65 BSA A65 ROCKET (trike)
68 BSA B25 FLEETSTAR
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#28163 - 08/11/07 12:40 am Re: A65 rocker feed,gravity or pump fed?  
Mark Parker Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mark Parker  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Bega NSW Australia
Paul, I think the later rocker feed location was chosen to increase the feed as there would be more pressure because the take off is lower and the oil has to be lifted higher, the slight restriction of a filter between the take off and the tank would also add pressure and oil to the rockers. Personally I wouldn't be too worried if the take off is before or after the filter as long as it's low. They already get plenty of oil with the low take off and filtering that oil is hardly going make a difference. I was heading the Eastern Creek raceway one time with a very oiltight and clean A65 and on the way the little pipe fitting at the head fractured, being a new replacement fitting made from silver plated copper of brass!!! rather than the original made from steel pipe, the amount of R40 dripping off the motor was unreal I wiped it off as much as possible, but it was in everywhere, removed the fitting and clamped the hose over the threaded stub and had to put up with all the jibes about leakey pommy bikes all day at the race meeting.

mark
#28164 - 08/11/07 11:56 am Re: A65 rocker feed,gravity or pump fed?  
GREEN MONSTER Offline
BritBike Forum member
GREEN MONSTER  Offline
BritBike Forum member

southern N.H.
Hello from across the pond! GreenMonster hear I am in the process of doing the exact same thing today to my 70 Tbolt.

Before you touch anything go to the Piled Armes Pub web sight and go to the Technical section in their you will find a write up on how to install and plumb you're filter for YOU'RE bike.
I am almost certain that you will need what is refered to as a flow restrictor so you can feed FILTERED oil to you're top end.

Good Night and Good Luck Signed the GreenMonster

Good Night and Good Luck Signed GreenMonster
#28165 - 08/11/07 10:16 pm Re: A65 rocker feed,gravity or pump fed?  
rebelpaul Offline
BritBike Forum member
rebelpaul  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Essex,England.
Thanks guys,I went to the piled arms pub website and read the tech section on installing a spin-on oil filter,(another new site I did'nt know about) It was interesting to note that fitting a "T" piece between the oil filter and oil tank did'nt require any type of flow restrictor to feed the rockers.As I said my "64" A65 originally fed the rockers by gravity from the oil tank,it seems to me that having the rockers fed via the oil pumps pressure gives a more constant and reliable source of oil,have you ever put a piece of clear tube on a gravity feed system and watched how little and erratic the oil flow is to the rockers and because of that its always bothered me.Rgds,Paul.

68 BSA B25 FLEETSTAR
#28166 - 08/11/07 10:53 pm Re: A65 rocker feed,gravity or pump fed?  
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Carteret, NC
Rebel,
You might be referring to my write-up on Piled Arms...not sure. Anyway there is some restriction in the head of 66 and later models to prevent overoiling. It is a split pin that partially blocks flow. Not too scientific. Don't know about a 64. Anyway, I did not have any way of determining the amount of flow to the rockers, but it appears that there is plenty when I pull the cover. Same system works on my B50 and the rocker box leaks rather profusely despite all my efforts to the contrary...so although not very scientific, the rockers get oiled. No problem for 4 years on a65 and 2 years on b50.

Mr Mike

#28167 - 08/12/07 2:12 am Re: A65 rocker feed,gravity or pump fed?  
aprophet Offline
BritBike Forum member
aprophet  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Chesapeake Virginia
http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k38/aprophet/?action=view&current=1B496394.jpg

hello rebel looking at the workshop manual it looks like on an early oil system the rockers were oiled by return presure my BSA is a 1964 rocket in the home market looks like the states got T bolts mine has the spilt pin Mr Mike describes not sure what size it might be mine is bent over under the rocker cover kinda looks like what we call a cotter pin just small hth aprophet aka david beerchug cheers pal

1964 A65C Rocket (Jeanie)
1971 T25SS
1971 A65T BSA (Lucile)
1965 A65D Lightning Rocket
#28168 - 08/12/07 8:01 pm Re: A65 rocker feed,gravity or pump fed?  
Harry Spitfire Offline
BritBike Forum member
Harry Spitfire  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Ghana
The Hide-de-hi classic bike oil filter that I enquired about dose not require moving the rocker feed.
The guy says, it dosen`t make any back pressure big enough to over feed.
Has a 15 lb by-pass & costs $90 for BSAOC members.
He quoted me eighty pounds for kit & spare filters & ninty pounds DHL
The guy`s E-mail is BlightB6@aol.com
I DON`T WISH TO ENTER ANY DEBATE ON OIL FILTERS ON THE GROUNDS THAT I DO NOT WANT TO BE DISTROYED>
I saw what happend last time. eek
Harry Spitfire

#28169 - 08/13/07 11:08 am Re: A65 rocker feed,gravity or pump fed?  
Rich B Online happy
Rich B  Online Happy

Stone Creek OH USA
All A65's have a limited pressure feed to the top end. The return pipe in the tank (as long as you have a stock tank) as a restictor to force oil into the head. No restrictor, no feed, oil takes the path of least resistance.

The volume of feed is the same regardless of position of the take off. Early bikes (thru 66?) use the tank feed to the top end. There were at least 2 different take off points, bottom of the tank and top of tank. The change to manifold feed appears to be strictly a manufacturing cost reduction.

As far as I know, all A series unit twins ha dthe split pin for regualating oil at the head. A portion of the oil went to the lifter galley, the remainder went to the rockers.

Head feed with an oil filte rcan be controversial. Personally, I prefer it to be after the filter. It gives the head clean oil and does allow some cooling of the oil. This is easy with the early oil tanks, the fitting is already there. But they work fine with the take off remaining at the manifold.

You may get dire warnings about feeding the head before the filter causing wet sumping, smoking, etc. If someone had those little issues, either the filter is installed wrong, or the pump is so worn out, it was ready to die anyway.

Life is too short to drink cheap, bad beer.
#28170 - 08/13/07 8:32 pm Re: A65 rocker feed,gravity or pump fed?  
rebelpaul Offline
BritBike Forum member
rebelpaul  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Essex,England.
Many thanks guys,I know which way I'm going now, I appreciated your thoughts and opinions on this issue.Cheers,Paul.

68 BSA B25 FLEETSTAR
#28171 - 08/20/07 2:46 pm Re: A65 rocker feed,gravity or pump fed?  
GREEN MONSTER Offline
BritBike Forum member
GREEN MONSTER  Offline
BritBike Forum member

southern N.H.
Hello Paul how did you're oil filter install work out? I just did mine on my 70Tbolt and it is working nicely, i used a clear piece of tubing for my top end feed and it let's me monitor the flow wich offers some piece of mind I also run full synthetic oil and a couple cleverly placed fans to keep the heat at bay.

#28172 - 08/22/07 8:21 pm Re: A65 rocker feed,gravity or pump fed?  
rebelpaul Offline
BritBike Forum member
rebelpaul  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Essex,England.
Hey green monster,Snap! just finished mine too,again I used clear tube for peace of mind.But having a single carb set-up the rocker feed union nut and 90 degree ferrule nearly drove me to distraction!its up tight against the back of my Concentric series carb,I don't know for sure if my 1/8" bsp union fitting is the original but the only way I could route it was by running around the left side of the carb to meet up with the oil filter,there is no more than a fag paper's gap between the union hose clip and the back of the carb.Paul.

68 BSA B25 FLEETSTAR
#28173 - 08/23/07 1:10 pm Re: A65 rocker feed,gravity or pump fed?  
GREEN MONSTER Offline
BritBike Forum member
GREEN MONSTER  Offline
BritBike Forum member

southern N.H.

#28174 - 08/23/07 1:22 pm Re: A65 rocker feed,gravity or pump fed?  
GREEN MONSTER Offline
BritBike Forum member
GREEN MONSTER  Offline
BritBike Forum member

southern N.H.
Sorry about the size of the pictures as you can see my top end feed has been modified after the destruction of a $3,000.00 engine a couple years ago I removed the split pin and opened the top end feed diameter to be the same as the ID of tube feeding it.

You will also notice I unlike others am a firm believer in a oil guage on ANY engine and I used the timing plug as an aditionall breather with a filter on the other end.
Also I took the old top end feed and tied it into the return line before the filter then split the two after the filter.

The way I set mine up may not look pretty but who cares, in the event something were to happen to the filter I have the abillity to to just put the lines back in stock form on the side of the road with relative ease.

#28175 - 08/23/07 1:54 pm Re: A65 rocker feed,gravity or pump fed?  
Rich B Online happy
Rich B  Online Happy

Stone Creek OH USA
The problem with oil pressure gauges is two fold:

1. Most cases are drilled poorly at best. You get a low oil pressure reading no matter what you do, so the owner is overcome with great angst becasue his BSA is a POS with low oil pressure no matter what he does or spends. Reality is, oil pressure is fine, it just can't be read due to the poor drilling done at Small Heath. If your lucky enough to have a good drilling, then you can get an accurate reading.

2. You can get an accurate reading and want to see oil pressure just like your new Chevy (or other brand) pickup. Sorry, ain't gonna happen. Your dealing with 1940's technology. So you spend sums of money and time trying to have the same oil pressure as your Chevy to no avail. Then you tell the world your BSA is a POS because it has low oil pressure.

laugh

#28176 - 08/23/07 6:14 pm Re: A65 rocker feed,gravity or pump fed?  
Bob S Offline
BritBike Forum member
Bob S  Offline
BritBike Forum member

, Lower -Lower michigan
RichB================[1]You told me once a long

time ago, start the bike, let it run when the light goes out its fine
[2] RF Whately, said how fast does the lit stay on, i told him, and he retorted,,,its fine you have good oil pressure.

[3] so i just left it alone ok so far.long as i keep up normal maintenance, it should stay that way.i have a cabinet door that[on the inside is paper]with everything in the garage written on it, so this stuff keeps me hoppin. smile

Bob S
Street Rods, Kustom Kars,A BSA,Cushmans,H.Shadow ACE, Now a 2004 triumph america . "More than enough!!!!
#28177 - 08/23/07 8:56 pm Re: A65 rocker feed,gravity or pump fed?  
rebelpaul Offline
BritBike Forum member
rebelpaul  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Essex,England.
Hi Green Monster,I like the pics,How your rocker oil feed union is set-up at the head is the type of thing I need,In 1964 BSA seemed to use a 1/8" bsp union nut with an internally flared piece of 3/16" copper brake(or similar) pipe bent at 90 degrees to rise over the top of a 389 mono carb.I'm pretty certain I don't have the original flared and angled copper pipe but I think I have the original union nut which fits onto a duel threaded adaptor,one end is the 1/8" bsp but I don't know the thread used on the other end that fits into the head itself,if that makes sense!If I knew that I may be able to find a 90 degree elbow that would fit directly into the head and save valuable space to run my rocker feed pipe without any restrictions.Regards,Paul.

68 BSA B25 FLEETSTAR
#28178 - 08/23/07 8:58 pm Re: A65 rocker feed,gravity or pump fed?  
rebelpaul Offline
BritBike Forum member
rebelpaul  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Essex,England.
Hi Green Monster,I like the pics,How your rocker oil feed union is set-up at the head is the type of thing I need,In 1964 BSA seemed to use a 1/8" bsp union nut with an internally flared piece of 3/16" copper brake(or similar) pipe bent at 90 degrees to rise over the top of a 389 mono carb.I'm pretty certain I don't have the original flared and angled copper pipe but I think I have the original union nut which fits onto a duel threaded adaptor,one end is the 1/8" bsp but I don't know the thread used on the other end that fits into the head itself,if that makes sense!If I knew that I may be able to find a 90 degree elbow that would fit directly into the head and save valuable space to run my rocker feed pipe without any restrictions.Regards,Paul.

68 BSA B25 FLEETSTAR
#28179 - 08/23/07 9:52 pm Re: A65 rocker feed,gravity or pump fed?  
GREEN MONSTER Offline
BritBike Forum member
GREEN MONSTER  Offline
BritBike Forum member

southern N.H.
OK if my not so callibrated eyeball is working it is a 1/8th X 1/4 mpt steet elbow into the head you will need to remove you're manifold to thread it in. I also removed the split pin on mine, once you get that in you thread on a 1/4" FPT close nipple then the hose fitting is a 1/4 MPT X 3/16 barbed fitting.
That should do it I run a oil PSI gauge for the same reason I have a volt meter oil filter and modern electrical system RELIABILITY AND PEASE OF MIND.

#28180 - 08/24/07 1:50 am Re: A65 rocker feed,gravity or pump fed?  
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Carteret, NC
To Rich B,
Are you saying that BSA's don't make good oil pressure or just don't read it. My bike is a 66 and has no place to measure oil pressure so I made a test setup by soldering the holes closed on a relief valve and tapping the cap for 1/8th pipe thread. After warming up the bike for about 15 minutes, I removed the pressure relief and screwed in my test rig. I had 17-18 at idle and it pegged the 0-60 test gauge at 3000 rpm. It was about 35 psi at 2000 rpm. Satisfied, I ran a couple of years and retested back in April and I got the same numbers essentially.

That being said I feel like BSA's can make good oil pressure with properly clearanced bearings and everything up to snuff with the pump.

I agree that todays cars and trucks make better oil pressure than years ago but the cars of the forties and fifties made 25-0 running. Today's cars make 55 psi even after significant mileage.

Mr Mike

#28181 - 08/24/07 11:16 am Re: A65 rocker feed,gravity or pump fed?  
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Carteret, NC
sorry typo.......cars of the forties and fifties made 25-40 psi running.

Mr Mike

#28182 - 08/24/07 3:17 pm Re: A65 rocker feed,gravity or pump fed?  
BONZO R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
BONZO R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

Michigan, USA
Mr.Mike , This has become a point of interest with me . I had been running a '70 engine for some time and last season (maybe the previous season??the memory has taken a beating over the years ) I decided to fit apressure gauge .The pressure numbers I have been getting are very consistent with what you are saying , but after a couple of hours at freeway speeds the numbers get significantly lower , if you wanna stay in that warm and cozy reality resistent bubble , I'd suggest you never check the numbers under these circumstances . The funny thing aboutthis situation is, as the engine is running hard and heavy on the freeway, and the numbers go down , the engine seems freer and happier to rev and actually sounds mechanically quieter , but I guessa case could be made thatthe wind in the ears makes it sound quiter , and everything seems to run smoother when your limbs have buzzed themselves past the point being able to feel anything ?? But that's my story , and I'm sticking with it .
FWIW-BONZO

#28183 - 08/24/07 6:31 pm Re: A65 rocker feed,gravity or pump fed?  
Alex Offline
BritBike Forum member
Alex  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Seattle
Oil pressure will drop percipitously with temperature on an air-cooled engine. No comparison to a motor filled with swamp juice. Ask me what the oil pressure on an 70 hp air-cooled motor pushing a fully loaded (3500 lbs) truck through the west virginia mountains is when you pull over for gas.

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.
#28184 - 08/24/07 7:16 pm Re: A65 rocker feed,gravity or pump fed?  
rebelpaul Offline
BritBike Forum member
rebelpaul  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Essex,England.
Many thanks Green Monster I'll give it a go.Cheers,Paul.

68 BSA B25 FLEETSTAR
#28185 - 08/25/07 12:02 pm Re: A65 rocker feed,gravity or pump fed?  
Rich B Online happy
Rich B  Online Happy

Stone Creek OH USA
Mike

I am saying with the late engines, there is a very good chance you can't get an accurate reading at the port. So the owner spends sums of money rebuilding his engine so it still doesn't read right. Then complains his BSA is a POS since he has a low reading

Or, he does get a good reading and calls his BSA a POS since the oil pressure reading he gets is 1940's technology and he is comparing it to a modern vehicle.

Either way, the BSA gets a bad rap when in fact, it is fine. Too many of us put too many miles on these (and a some put less than gentle miles on them laugh ) for the engine to have an inherent oil pressure problem. It just seems at times some people need to place their head where the sun shines once in while :p

#28186 - 08/25/07 2:06 pm Re: A65 rocker feed,gravity or pump fed?  
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Carteret, NC
Bonzo,
I don't doubt what you say. I might have much lower readings if I was scorching down the highway and it was 95 degrees out. Maybe my 15 minute warm up period before making my test was not long enough for all the oil to get hot. I didn't check the oil although for sure the cylinder and head were crackling hot. But I felt comfortable with my readings and was reassured a year later that they were unchanged.

I wouldn't mind a permanent guage but that really needs to be drilled and fitted with the cases split and that ain't happening anytime soon..I hope.

Rich,
I read so many stories about the infamous oil pressure and Lannis's oil pump problems, that I had to test meyself. I only have about 5000 miles on my a65 (I ride two other bikes also), but it doesn't smoke, leak or make any funny noises, so I feel ok about it.

Mike

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.102s Queries: 14 (0.005s) Memory: 0.9907 MB (Peak: 1.3255 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-18 13:52:20 UTC