BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
The Bonneville Shop JRC Engineering dealers
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Tinker Tom
Tinker Tom
Texas USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
50 registered members (Adam M.), 279 guests, and 354 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Davenz13, Sean65, Rerock, pkuzyk, Hunter S
10476 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 89
franko 71
Triless 67
Popular Topics(Views)
747,043 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,813
Posts670,277
Members10,476
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
How much does a BSA 650 motor weigh? #278539
10/12/09 3:50 pm
10/12/09 3:50 pm
upstate ny
R
Raj Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Raj  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
R

upstate ny
Trying to get a shipping estimate. Anybody know how much just the motor weighs?

-raj

------------------------
68 guzzi ambassador
69 BSA a65 w/ a 67 frame
Support your #1 BSA Forum and our favorite sponsors

Check out BSA on e-bay: BSA Parts in UK, BSA Motorcycles in UK, BSA Parts in North America, BSA Motorcycles in North America

Re: How much does a BSA 650 motor weigh? [Re: Raj] #278586
10/12/09 8:18 pm
10/12/09 8:18 pm
Rowayton, CT, USA
J
john zabel Offline
BritBike Forum member
john zabel  Offline
BritBike Forum member
J

Rowayton, CT, USA
raj:

My manual for a unit A65 says it is 138 pounds engine/gearbox (less carburetters). I assume that is a dry weight.

JZ

Re: How much does a BSA 650 motor weigh? [Re: john zabel] #278597
10/12/09 8:44 pm
10/12/09 8:44 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content

Well'ard Rocker
Lannis  Online Content

Well'ard Rocker

Central Virginia
Not only is it a dry weight, but I think it's too light.

I've tried shipping a BSA engine sans carbs in a packing crate that weighed 16 pounds. On the UPS scales, they showed the whole thing at 174 pounds and wouldn't touch it (they won't go over 150 pounds). I had to ship via Big Truck which is an expensive pain.

Next time I ship, it'll be with the covers and heads off and separate!

Lannis

I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is really going to be upset.
Re: How much does a BSA 650 motor weigh? [Re: Lannis] #278652
10/13/09 12:28 am
10/13/09 12:28 am
upstate ny
R
Raj Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Raj  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
R

upstate ny
ah hell, that's what I was worried about. A few triumph/bsa motors on eBay claim the shipping is like $135, or $150 or something via UPS ground. But I was pretty sure with a crate I'd be over 150lbs.

What gives?

What are my other options? any clue what the cost is going to be for just the motor from NY to TX?

thanks.
-raj

Last edited by Raj; 10/13/09 1:41 am.

------------------------
68 guzzi ambassador
69 BSA a65 w/ a 67 frame
Re: How much does a BSA 650 motor weigh? [Re: Raj] #278741
10/13/09 5:59 pm
10/13/09 5:59 pm
San Francisco
Redman Offline
BritBike Forum member
Redman  Offline
BritBike Forum member

San Francisco
Big and heavy items? I have always shipped via Greyhound Bus Lines. Pack it up well and bring it to the nearest Greyhound terminal. The recipient just needs to go pick it up at HIS nearest terminal.....and it's CHEAP!!!!!! VERY CHEAP!!!!!

Life is short but very wide.
Re: How much does a BSA 650 motor weigh? [Re: Redman] #278748
10/13/09 6:26 pm
10/13/09 6:26 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content

Well'ard Rocker
Lannis  Online Content

Well'ard Rocker

Central Virginia
Greyhound's not a bad idea, but the guy picking it up has to be on time and in person, because Greyhound isn't going to take care of or store your package; if he's not there when the bus gets in, it's just going to sit around until someone takes it.

Otherwise, it's the cheapest way.

I shipped my A65 motor from the loading dock of the company I worked for; I paid $75 to cover the direct cost, and our shipping crew sent it from Virginia to Pennsylvania. It came back via bus.

UPS and FedEx won't do it, because one guy can't handle 150 pounds with the equipment they have on their trucks.

Lannis

Last edited by Lannis; 10/13/09 6:27 pm.

I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is really going to be upset.
Re: How much does a BSA 650 motor weigh? [Re: Lannis] #279147
10/15/09 4:50 pm
10/15/09 4:50 pm
San Francisco
Redman Offline
BritBike Forum member
Redman  Offline
BritBike Forum member

San Francisco
In my experience, the bus terminal has a holding area for packages shipped via their lines. Shipping by bus USED to be common. You are required to show ID to pick up too so one doesn't have to be there when the bus arrives. Your mileage may vary however....I would do some phone calling first and find out.
It's certainly the cheapest way to ship an engine. Lannis lucked out working where he did, but then, the Gods smile on him...;)

Life is short but very wide.
Re: How much does a BSA 650 motor weigh? [Re: Redman] #279171
10/15/09 6:35 pm
10/15/09 6:35 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content

Well'ard Rocker
Lannis  Online Content

Well'ard Rocker

Central Virginia
I bought a Guzzi in Marietta Georgia last year, and decided to take the Greyhound from Lynchburg, VA to Marietta, GA and ride the bike home.

The Good News - The ticket was $49, dirt cheap. That's all the good news.

The Bad News - Just because you have a ticket doesn't mean you have a seat. My bus was supposed to leave the bus station (in the worst part of town, they always are; sirens going, people shouting, shots in the distance ...) at midnight. No bus at midnight. A bus finally pulls in at 3:00 AM, the one I was supposed to be on was full when it came through Lynchburg so it didn't even exit off the freeway, they don't tell you anything.

One seat, bus is FULL of people, packages, it looked like everyone on it was either peeling oranges or eating fried chicken on the go; kids hollering, people talking in every language on Earth and some that were from some other solar system, I'm sure.

Pull into Knoxville to change buses at 9:00 AM. The station is a madhouse - people sleeping on the floor and the loading dock, just stretched out right in the middle of things. Packages and boxes and luggage sitting around everywhere; finally found the right bus and got on, IT'S full - I had an edge of a seat next to a 400-pound woman in a head scarf, who I struck up a conversation with and who said what I and everyone on the bus was thinking - "If this wasn't so cheap, there's no way I'd be on this miserable thing."

Got to Marietta at noon. What an experience. Thought I was in the old Stagecoach Days out west or in some Delhi train station - I don't see how they get anything done ....

Lannis

Re: How much does a BSA 650 motor weigh? [Re: Lannis] #279605
10/18/09 1:36 pm
10/18/09 1:36 pm
Vancouver Island Canada
Salty Dog Offline
BritBike Forum member
Salty Dog  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Vancouver Island Canada
Raj

Look into cartage via rail....the shipping cost is calculated by volume and not by weight.

I once used a company here in canada (National Fast Freight) to ship a complete rolling wreck of a BSA A10 from Toronto to Vancouver.
I had the vendor strip off the handle bars/pipes and mufflers/foot pegs and strap them to the frame so that the volumic footprint of the bike was reduced.
He then built a wooden crate of 2x4 & plywood construction around the bike.
The result was a very slim box that cost $100cdn in shipping cost across the canadian continent via rail to a depot in Vancouver.
This method is not fast by any means but i was happy with the outcome.

cheers

salty

Keep It Greasy
Re: How much does a BSA 650 motor weigh? [Re: Salty Dog] #279617
10/18/09 3:02 pm
10/18/09 3:02 pm
Santa Barbara, California
KC in S.B. Offline

BritBike Forum member
KC in S.B.  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Santa Barbara, California
Interesting info.... I had used Gray Hound years many years ago, but had heard they gave it up.... appartently incorrect. I have 2 motors in Mom's basement that she and I would like to move from Chicago to CA. I keep hoping some cheap way will "come up", but after a year or so, I guess I should ante-up!! Doesn't it seem like the heaviest stuff you want to ship is always on the wrong coast??? KC

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 1 '56 Chevy
Oops,.. add 1 '65 XLCH
Re: How much does a BSA 650 motor weigh? [Re: KC in S.B.] #279698
10/19/09 12:51 am
10/19/09 12:51 am
Cape Carteret, NC
M
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member
M

Cape Carteret, NC
Good Input on shipping heavy stuff. I put my 88 year old mother-in-law on the greyhound in Raleigh and she arrived 7 hours later in Knoxville, TN. No complaints, but she prefers the bus. My wife rode the same bus a month later...no big complaints. Greyhound is the bottom end of public transportation. I am hoping things improve and the rails make a comeback.

Mr Mike

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership