BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JRC Engineering dealers
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Bob Mitch
Bob Mitch
Biggin Hill Kent England
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
51 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 273 guests, and 396 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Gtommy, Stew Dempsey, JoeBrown, Bart223, Duckster
10175 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 102
reverb 89
Stuart 69
koan58 68
L.A.B. 54
Popular Topics(Views)
554,204 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics66,605
Posts645,495
Members10,175
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Dreer-based 880 Norton project [Re: GrandPaul] #251858
05/04/09 8:31 pm
05/04/09 8:31 pm
Laredo (South) Texas, USA
GrandPaul Online content OP
BritBike Forum member
GrandPaul  Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
I got the 636 front fender, and it mounted perfectly with the new 19" front wheel using the lower mounting hole in the upper mounting lug that was designed for the smaller OEM Kaw wheel. Once I confirmed the mounting, I took it down to the painter to match the tank.

I also got the new 18" rear Excel rim laced by Buchanan's with tall Metzeler matching rubber, got the hollow mock-up engine pulled out, and I'm going back together "for real" this week.

Already got the new rear isolastic guts installed on the Dreer "big bearing" tranny cradle, replaced all the temporary hardware in the monoshock linkage with proper stuff, and I'm working on cutting down the front isolastic mount to accommodate the Mark III adjustable iso guts. I'm going to try and get the engine mounted by tomorrow, and have the hand-made wiring harness and rear axle sorted by the end of the week.

The new front wheel bearings will need precision shimming and custom-made spacers to complete fitting up the front wheel, but the brakes are bled and it rolls aropund 100% better than the mock-up arrangement.

The rest is punchlist stuff, all of the prototyping is done and fitted, just need to go front to back and assemble it all.

Last edited by GrandPaul; 05/04/09 8:40 pm.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Dreer-based 880 Norton project [Re: GrandPaul] #252072
05/05/09 9:57 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
All the dummy stuff pulled out, ready to go back in with the standard 850 stuff from my spare engine-

All new Mark III adjustable rear isolastics-

Started to mask off the cylinders and then decided "what the heck"...

Re: Dreer-based 880 Norton project [Re: GrandPaul] #252073
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Nice and clean, will use Left foot shift Mark III setup for now-

Front engine steady by Windy Eads (very simple & effective), and all new Mark III adjustable isolastics-

Re: Dreer-based 880 Norton project [Re: GrandPaul] #252133
05/06/09 4:35 am
05/06/09 4:35 am
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
"Half a dozen of one, Six of the other"

...so goes the old saying.

Started installing the inner primary from the 850 and realized there was no hole in the VR880 cradle for the Mark III shifter crossover shaft.

Plan "B". Installed the Spyke starter and then tried to fit up the carbon fibre inner primary and found that the top alternator stator bracket stud was too large in diameter for the CF primary dowel hole; drilled it out and proceeded to fit it up.

Oh, crud. The belt drive clutch basket hasn't been fitted up with the e-start ring gear yet. Never mind, on with Plan "C"; I can kickstart just fine. Removed the starter.

Tension of the belt wanted to keep pulling the drive pulley off the taper, so I fitted up the alternator rotor. Well, isn't that special, Norton decided to cast in an "oh no you don't" lip that prohibits you from installing the Mark III alternator stator frame with the rotor already in place! A pair of vice grips made quick work of that lip, dressed the edges and installed it. I'll need to carefully trim up 4 spacers for the alternator frame to stand it off the appropriate distance from the crankcase in the absence of the OEM inner case half.

It's a bit of a fiddle to get the two alignment dowels meshed, and then start the center fixing nut on the CF primary, but it's done.

Installed the Barnett friction plates with a final extra scrolled bronze plate to bring the stack up to optimum height, and popped on the diphragm and retainer clip. Couldn't seem to locate the clutch rod adjuster, so that'll wait 'till tomorrow morning. Installed the 32mm intakes for the stock 932s. All in all, good progress today.

Re: Dreer-based 880 Norton project [Re: GrandPaul] #252243
05/06/09 6:17 pm
05/06/09 6:17 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Okay, time for Plan "D" !!!

The drive pulley that I have is designed for a pre- Mark III and doesn't fit far enough onto the crankshaft, so the belt drive and carbon fiber primary case are out of the picture (for now).

So, I drilled a hole in the tranny cradle for a Mark III inner primary chaincase steady (distance stud), replaced the clutch inner hub onto the Mark III clutch basket, and I'm looking high and low for the bloody distance piece!

I'm going to plug the shifter cross-shaft holes in the primary case (for now), and do the right-foot shift conversion for sure. The fact that I'm going to Left-foot brake with the necessity of a disc brake master cylinder actuator, means I need to hurry up and get a set of rearset footpegs in here and fabricate the linkage.

In order to make the rear wheel work with the new swingarm, I'm going to have to machine off the extraneous material from the Mark III sprocket dummy shaft and fashion a 9/16" one-piece rear axle. Fun, fun, fun.

Then comes the carbs! (Plan "E" ?) The FCR 33mm intakes have a proprietary spacing for the mounting at the head to co-exist with the Baisley 880 head, so I either need to find some rubber manifold adapters from 32/33mm spigot to horizontal orientation / appropriate spacing for OEM Mark III 32mm inlet manifolds, OR, I need to hurry up and build a set of AMAL 932s from parts on the shelf (shouldn't be too hard to do).

If anyone can help with any of the above, I'd sure appreciate it...

Re: Dreer-based 880 Norton project [Re: GrandPaul] #252411
05/07/09 3:45 pm
05/07/09 3:45 pm
Kent UK
Blapper Offline
BritBike Forum member
Blapper  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Kent UK
You've only got 21 letters left in the alphabet GP, better slow down a bit!

Horny primary cover BTW.

Blapper

Re: Dreer-based 880 Norton project [Re: Blapper] #252520
05/08/09 1:36 am
05/08/09 1:36 am
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Yep. Good ol' alphabet!

Re: Dreer-based 880 Norton project [Re: GrandPaul] #252525
05/08/09 2:10 am
05/08/09 2:10 am
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
My favorite part - the wiring!

Too bad I couldn't find the matching Kawasaki conrol cluster cannon plugs. Still, I used all bullet connectors so that the main sections of the harness can be removed without disturbing any of the other sections.

Had to fabricate a small tail light backplate to accommodate the dual tail light bulb sockets; just below this will bolt up a license plate bracket that leaves the plate just below the tail, lit up by some spilled light from a gap between the tail light and the backplate.

Perfect setup - totally fused system with a 25 amp automatic master circuit breaker. 6 fuses; one for each major circuit including ignition, headlight, tail light, brake lights, horn relay & e-start relay-

AGM battery will be here in the morning along with horn relay, dual-lead Rev-tech coil & Blue 8mm resistor plug leads. I'm debating to myself whether or not to go with a tiny set of blinkers like the ones I used on "Project Charlie"...

Re: Dreer-based 880 Norton project [Re: GrandPaul] #252532
05/08/09 2:32 am
05/08/09 2:32 am
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
You may have noticed I also installed the freshly painted Kawasaki 636 front fender; the painter got a real close match to the Dreer 880 Blue, and the pinstripes are close to an exact match-

Last thing I did this afternoon was fabricate a Dzus fastener catch bracket for the left sidecover, and mounted the oil tank & Right sidecover (after "persuading" the oil tank's inner face to clear the monoshock); so, the bodywork is 100% complete.

Holt Caterpillar came through with a hardened bolt, 3/4" diameter x 11-1/2" long, that I'm having turned down and re-threaded for the one-piece rear axle. The thickened section of the dummy axle on the original Mark III will be replaced with a custom-turned spacer to match the same dimensions inside the hub assembly.

A friend from the Accessnorton.Com website is loaning me a pair of clean AMAL 932s to use on the 850 engine; the FCR adapters don't fit this head, they're made for the 880.

Re: Dreer-based 880 Norton project [Re: GrandPaul] #252825
05/10/09 12:25 am
05/10/09 12:25 am
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
(from yesterday)-
Hashed out the temporary headlight & meter mounting, still need proper headlight mounts and some proper bits for the meters although they look much better now with proper "Green Blobs" in Mark III black aluminum cans.

I also got back the new rear axle and had to "dress it down" just a touch to get it in past the bearings (the rest of the parts fit fine). As the rear sprocket came off a chopper, it was not original any more. Some previous owner had welded up the 5 lips on the sprocket hub to about twice the depth, then added to very hard rubber spacers to provide an overall widening of the rear wheel assembly to about an additional 1/2". I had to carefully cut down those lips back to thier original size.

Received the borrowed 932s, overhauled & mounted them.

Also received all the parts for OEM head steady, axle & rear brake parts, miscellaneous nuts, bolts & washers, points cover, clutch adjuster grub screw, Rev-tech dual lead coil & plug wires, horn relay and rearset footpegs.

Here's the cleaned up 932s-

...on the bike-

Re: Dreer-based 880 Norton project [Re: GrandPaul] #252826
05/10/09 12:26 am
05/10/09 12:26 am
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
A few items sorted out today:

Separated all the hardware for OEM head steady and installed it (will have Taylor for the final build, it's already on the way), and mounted the rev-tech dual-lead coil and wired it in. (no pix)

Installed all of the OEM electric start primary system after fiddling with the back spacing on the chaincase standoff lug for way too long (they sent me the wrong part and I had to space it with bits I had on hand). Installed the Spax 3-phase alternator and wasted another 20 minutes reworking the outer diameter of the rotor nut to better fit the new rotor (it was just a bit to snug to catch the threads properly). I also plugged up the shifter cross shaft opening with the stub end of a shifter rubber RTV'ed in place.

I need to pop the clutch cover back off and add a stuffer plate, the lever pull is too stiff for my taste, but the clutch is working.

I cut a relatively thin section of sheet metal to mock up the electrical panel, and mounted all the components (except horn relay, it'll go on the lower left side)-

Final version will be sturdier material, I didn't have anything heavier to work with right on hand at the moment.

Last item was the rearset pegs; it turns out I was able to use the Kawasaki rear brake pedal mounting base, cut, shaved and re-drilled to accommodate the orientation for Left-foot disc brake master cylinder-

Just need to chop off the excess bit of bracket after I bolt up some sort of triangulating stiffener, then overhaul & connec the rear caliper (the Nissin won't work).

Re: Dreer-based 880 Norton project [Re: GrandPaul] #253147
05/11/09 5:07 pm
05/11/09 5:07 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Just thought I'd tidy things up right where it's at and snap some progress shots with the rearsets, sidecovers & front fender mounted-

I'm kinda liking it!

Re: Dreer-based 880 Norton project [Re: GrandPaul] #253239
05/11/09 10:18 pm
05/11/09 10:18 pm
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
S
Steve in Tulsa Offline
BritBike Forum member
Steve in Tulsa  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
That is stunning. clap

Steve in Tulsa
Re: Dreer-based 880 Norton project [Re: Steve in Tulsa] #253454
05/13/09 4:00 am
05/13/09 4:00 am
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I tack-welded on a prototype fabrication of an under-tail battery tray to see how it would work; I think I'm going to stay with it. may not be enough room to give more than 2" of rear wheel travel after rider sag is accounted for...

Re: Dreer-based 880 Norton project [Re: GrandPaul] #253663
05/14/09 4:05 am
05/14/09 4:05 am
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
It's running. Well; started, anyway. I need the proper top section of the throttle cable with proper abutment to go with an aftermarket throttle I've got.

Had to have a custom fabricated rear brake line, because there was no other way to marry the modern master cylinder with the OEM Norton rear caliper. Took a good, slightly used Lockheed type hose and had the threaded end fitting chopped off; took a modern banjo style brake hose and had one end with a long-ish rigid pipe chopped off to weld the Lockheed thread to it. Connected the remaining banjo end to the master cylinder, and the new threaded end accepted the flare fitting on the rear caliper's tube fitting.

Intalled the fuel lines & petcocks, battery cables and a new starter solenoid, overhauled the starter & rear brake caliper, installed the drilled rear disc & partially pumped up the brakes. Installed all the oil & breather lines, oil filter, topped off all the fluids, installed the plugs & plug wires.

I also installed a continuous solid #4 cable from the battery positive to the frame, and from that same point to the engine; so, everything is HEAVILY grounded, allowing the starter's ground path to flow through cable instead of all the smaller ground wires put together.

I'm totally worn out, pix tomorow.

Re: Dreer-based 880 Norton project [Re: GrandPaul] #253878
05/15/09 4:54 am
05/15/09 4:54 am
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
The rear brake pedal is done, brake is now functioning, including brake light

I couldn't wait any longer for the right-foot-shift parts, borrowed the ones of the rolling project bike I just sold (just for the weekend). I've always loved the spaghetti bowl of the Norton rearset linkage-

It took a while to figure out that the timing was set wrong, as were the carbs; it now starts right up and runs pretty well, still need to figure out why my timing light is going flaky on me, I had it hooked up to my deep-cycle battery that's fully charged.

Anyway, I took the bike out on it's maiden voyage and JUST made it back in my driveway. I definitely need to adjust the rear shock & linkage to give the rear tire more clearance, and need the smaller battery, mounted upright to help with clearance issues.

The only oil leak i can see is very slight weepage from the primary cover that's installed with no gasket or sealer; I'm going to remedy that on Saturday while killing time.

Re: Dreer-based 880 Norton project [Re: GrandPaul] #254023
05/16/09 6:47 am
05/16/09 6:47 am
Kent UK
Blapper Offline
BritBike Forum member
Blapper  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Kent UK
Soooperb GP. It's almost ready to deliver to me......

Have you thought of a 'hugger' rear mudguard? They look OMG sweet, and it would be near invisible in black too.

Nice.

Blapper

Re: Dreer-based 880 Norton project [Re: Blapper] #254187
05/17/09 2:28 pm
05/17/09 2:28 pm
Minneapolis
850CMNDO Offline
BritBike Forum member
850CMNDO  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Minneapolis
What are you using for engine paint? Seems there are products out there that are the wrong shade of silver or turn "goldish" when hot. Looks good!

Re: Dreer-based 880 Norton project [Re: 850CMNDO] #254329
05/18/09 2:48 pm
05/18/09 2:48 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I'm going to fashion something clean and near invisible for the rear fender, and the paint on the temporary/interim 850 lump is Rust-O-Leum rattle-can silver.

Last edited by GrandPaul; 05/18/09 2:49 pm.

Re: Dreer-based 880 Norton project [Re: GrandPaul] #255013
05/22/09 4:37 pm
05/22/09 4:37 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Thanx to Jean from www.accessnorton.com for making me this set of nifty FCR adapters for stock Norton manifolds!

I'll have 'em on in a week or so, after Kevin heads back to Iraq; meanwhile we're going to do some riding & water skiing.

Re: Dreer-based 880 Norton project [Re: GrandPaul] #278797
10/13/09 10:58 pm
10/13/09 10:58 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
AT LAST! FCRs installed. Also swapped the monoshock for another that is 1-1/2" longer, that solved the entire rear wheel rubbing issue.

The bike runs fantastic, but there is no room whatsoever for any kind of air filter. I'm going to have to build a custom airbox using the frame web and downtubes.

Re: Dreer-based 880 Norton project [Re: GrandPaul] #279019
10/14/09 11:34 pm
10/14/09 11:34 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
This is going to be "it" 'till I get around to building up the 880 engine and then doing the swap with the belt drive primary and Spyke starter, maybe before next May (New Ulm show)...

That pipe bluing looks excellent, to me; it almost matches the paint color. I think it's a classic look. Timing and jetting are resolved, so it's not getting any worse. I could use some Blu-away, but I want to leave it as-is (for now).

Re: Dreer-based 880 Norton project [Re: GrandPaul] #279026
10/15/09 12:18 am
10/15/09 12:18 am
Ohio
Beljum Offline
BritBike Forum member
Beljum  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Ohio
GP,
Great progress and cool pics. The fabrication is top notch....I can only imagine the time and effort you have in this project. Very nice.

Beljum

Go for a ride on a preunit laugh

September 2010 Cuyahoga Valley Ride

'55 "The Mighty 6T", '73 Commando in boxes, '01 DR650, '90 CR250

Re: Dreer-based 880 Norton project [Re: Beljum] #279028
10/15/09 12:27 am
10/15/09 12:27 am
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Personally, I'll admit to being at least a notch below "top notch" on some of the fabrication, as this is only to a point where I can ride it and de-bug the prototype monoshock system and fine-tune the ride and handling. Also, the range of motion on the forks is too tight, I need to get a set of ZX9 yoles that have more distance between the yoke stem and a line between the two forks.

For now, I'm loving it!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Richrd 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership