BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
halmc
halmc
Tallahassee, FL
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
51 registered members (Adam M.), 245 guests, and 484 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Tacet, Joe Bruney, Chip, Froger, Calthorpe
10413 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 83
Rohan 81
Triless 80
reverb 76
Stuart 72
Popular Topics(Views)
703,383 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,265
Posts664,585
Members10,413
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
BSA Bantam Trials #276473
09/26/09 9:12 pm
09/26/09 9:12 pm
Vancouver Island
G
GordB Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
GordB  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
G

Vancouver Island
Looking for some advice. I have a D7 and Bantam bushman frames along with D7, D10 and 175 bushman engines. What components or mix of components would be best for building a Bantam Vintage trials machine. Thanks - Gord

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: BSA Bantam Trials [Re: GordB] #276481
09/26/09 11:10 pm
09/26/09 11:10 pm
Greensboro, NC
Alan_nc Online content
BritBike Forum member
Alan_nc  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Greensboro, NC
Gord,

I could write a book on this topic. I tried for over a year to make/use a '59 D7 as a Trials bike.

I will be glad to trade emails on the topic. I had a great time working on the bike. Probably have several hundred hours and close to $2,000 in the bike(counting the initial price as free).

First question: are you currently riding Trials?

Let me know and I'll send you the "initial" list.

Alan
Cleared m out....left only
59 BSA Bantam (Trials)
78 Triumph Bonny (UPS)
02 Suzuki GS500
Re: BSA Bantam Trials [Re: Alan_nc] #276489
09/26/09 11:47 pm
09/26/09 11:47 pm
Vancouver Island
G
GordB Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
GordB  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
G

Vancouver Island
Hi Allen. Thanks for your response. I've seen you discuss Bantams on the forum in the past, so I've pleased you responded. Yes, I'd like to have a discussion on Bantams and learn what I can from your experience. As I said, I have a number of choices since I have several models to choose from. Question on is which frame 59 D7 or 67 Bushman. Then I have several engines and parts which I can mix or match. Wondering about a B175 bottom and a D7 or 10 top.
We can do this offline, if you like. I'm at gwb42@shaw.ca or here on the forum is OK too. Yes, I've been riding at a novice level (bultaco and cub)but do not have a lot of experience. - Gord B.

Re: BSA Bantam Trials [Re: GordB] #276494
09/27/09 12:49 am
09/27/09 12:49 am
North Carolina
G
Gordon Gray Offline
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Offline
Life Member
G

North Carolina
A little something like this???

One of the other "Gords"

Re: BSA Bantam Trials [Re: Gordon Gray] #276501
09/27/09 1:45 am
09/27/09 1:45 am
Vancouver Island
G
GordB Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
GordB  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
G

Vancouver Island
Hey. I Like it - Thanks Gord . Front hub looks like a Rickman. And the frame, engine and forks are from which model? - Gord B

Re: BSA Bantam Trials [Re: GordB] #276520
09/27/09 9:21 am
09/27/09 9:21 am
Greensboro, NC
Alan_nc Online content
BritBike Forum member
Alan_nc  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Greensboro, NC
Gord,

I'll cover some basics here (if it gets long and detailed I'll send an email).

First you will probably want to go with the Bushman. The D7's have 'pogo-stick' front forks which just doesn't work for Trials. If you do use the D7 I would swap the forks (I went with Yamaha D1 forks).

The stock D7 swingarm is not wide enough for a modern Trials 4x18 tire. A later Cub swingarm is a bolt-on replacement (no work needed at all) and is about 5/8" wider which will accept the tire.

The rear frame section needs to be modified (on either) so that you can stand without your knees hitting the seat base (I have pictures).

Biggest issue of all: You need to make the bike a one-kick starter. Since you are stopping so often a bike that takes several kicks to start will just zap your strength. This is one issue I was never able to solve. I went to an electronic ignition, which helped (and may not be legal in the class you run). You need to mount a carb extension so that you don't get vapor lock from the heat. I used a carb mount from a Norton - pretty much a bolt-on. Also need to build an air filter with an oiled foam insert.

Rear shocks are something you will have to work on. I am using a set from a small Honda dirt bike. You need to go with a high exhaust (I scored one off British eBay (pricey)).

Foot pegs: Need to change position and get a set with 'grippers'. I found that you could use the rear peg mounting brackets and pretty much move the peg position to anywhere you wanted.

Gas tank: I went with the later Bantam tank as it's much narrower and will bolt directly onto the bike.

Well that's a start. Will dig up some pictures.

Alan
59 BSA Bantam (Trials)
78 Triumph Bonny (UPS)
02 Suzuki GS500
Re: BSA Bantam Trials [Re: Alan_nc] #276547
09/27/09 3:05 pm
09/27/09 3:05 pm
Greensboro, NC
Alan_nc Online content
BritBike Forum member
Alan_nc  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Greensboro, NC

Just cut, rotate 180, reweld.

High pipe, folding kick-start

Not mine - $10,000 plus

Todd, Center plug head - don't know if it helps.

Last edited by Alan_nc; 09/27/09 3:09 pm.

Alan
59 BSA Bantam (Trials)
78 Triumph Bonny (UPS)
02 Suzuki GS500
Re: BSA Bantam Trials [Re: Alan_nc] #276559
09/27/09 5:05 pm
09/27/09 5:05 pm
Vancouver Island
G
GordB Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
GordB  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
G

Vancouver Island
Hi Allen. Thank you. That helps a lot. Any thoughts on the engine? The Bushman has a higher compression ratio than the D7 and the D10, and I was wondering about using lower compression barrel and head or using a low compression piston in the B175 Bushman.- Gord

Re: BSA Bantam Trials [Re: GordB] #276587
09/27/09 7:43 pm
09/27/09 7:43 pm
Greensboro, NC
Alan_nc Online content
BritBike Forum member
Alan_nc  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Greensboro, NC
Gord,

Well I would generally go for low compression - but the Bushman isn't exactly 'high-compression'. You know from riding Trials that 'first kick start' is one of the biggest pluses. I never could see any plus with the Todd, high compression head.

One of the constant problems I had was trying to fit a good air cleaner. If I got a good one it would not allow enough air draw.

You will also need to grind down the fork stops so you can improve your turning radius.

There is a guy in England that has any part you want to create a Bantam racer (they race them over there, Trial them, MX them). His name is Rex Caunt. www.rexcauntracing.com/ He makes an electronic ignition for the Bantam. Expensive but probably worth it if you are really going to compete.

I've got a '69 Bushman that is next on my list to re-do. Probably do it as a street bike.

After all the work I think the main problem with the Bantam as a Trials bike is it's lack of power. I did a complete AHRMA season (finished 2nd overall in my class), but there were always some sections that I couldn't ride because of a hill or large log or rock ledge.

Seat your brakes to the hub, you will need every bit of braking power you can get. The Yamaha front end really helped in this area.

Alan
59 BSA Bantam (Trials)
78 Triumph Bonny (UPS)
02 Suzuki GS500
Re: BSA Bantam Trials [Re: GordB] #276597
09/27/09 8:41 pm
09/27/09 8:41 pm
North Carolina
G
Gordon Gray Offline
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Offline
Life Member
G

North Carolina
Originally Posted By: GordB
Hey. I Like it - Thanks Gord . Front hub looks like a Rickman. And the frame, engine and forks are from which model? - Gord B

Gord....the engine is junker (incorrect for the Wassel Trials Bantam) for the mock up....yep, wheels are Rickman and that's one of the few frames Wassel made for the Bantam.

Nicest Bantam Trialer I've seen up close is ISTS's own "Chickenman's" special...but for the life of me I can't find a picture of it...but I know I have some here somewhere????????????????

one of the other "Gords"....Gordon in NC

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 09/27/09 10:17 pm.
Re: BSA Bantam Trials [Re: Alan_nc] #276738
09/28/09 5:09 pm
09/28/09 5:09 pm
Vancouver Island
G
GordB Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
GordB  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
G

Vancouver Island
Thanks again Allen. I appreciate your advice. I'll probably ask a few more questions along the way as I get into this project. Cheers - Gord

Re: BSA Bantam Trials [Re: Gordon Gray] #276739
09/28/09 5:12 pm
09/28/09 5:12 pm
Vancouver Island
G
GordB Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
GordB  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
G

Vancouver Island
Thanks Gordon. A friend of mine has one of those wassell frames. Very nice. I'll see if I can't track down a pic of that Chickenman's special . - Gord B

Moderated by  Allan Gill 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership