BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Roger Gulledge
Roger Gulledge
Oahu Hawaii USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
221 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,770 guests, and 551 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst
9957 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 190
koan58 100
Stuart 86
NickL 71
Popular Topics(Views)
437,702 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,282
Posts632,294
Members9,957
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#274720 - 09/15/09 3:02 pm primary chain - half link ok??  
zambu Offline
BritBike Forum member
zambu  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Switzerland
While doing a service on my A10 RR 56, I noticed that I need to tension the primary chain. As the gearbox was already almost at the rear end of its way (as well as the rear wheel), I tried to shorten the chain. Then it was too short.. The only solution was to fit one of these half links. The chain expert who had this in stock told me, it has 30% less strength. Do I have to worry about it?

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#274755 - 09/15/09 8:13 pm Re: primary chain - half link ok?? [Re: zambu]  
gram Offline
BritBike Forum member
gram  Offline
BritBike Forum member

uk
You might worry if it breaks suddenly.A friend of mine suffered serious head injuries when he and his wife were deposited on the road after their A10's primary chain broke.He was'nt quick enough to de-clutch,plus the additional weight of a passenger was more than he could handle during the resulting slide.
Gram

#274759 - 09/15/09 8:19 pm Re: primary chain - half link ok?? [Re: zambu]  
Ignoramus Online content
BritBike Forum member
Ignoramus  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Auckland NZ
Zambu:
If your chain has streched to the extent it needs shortening that much I personaly would be inclined to replace it. Primary chain takes a lot of load the way it whips about under varying loads. I cant imagine it would be that expencive even for a top brand. Worn out chain also wrecks sprockets!

Lay the cleaned/deoiled chain out on the bench and see how much length you can make it gain by pulling it and compressing it lenghways to see how much play you have in each link (divide amount of streach by number of pins) that will tell you if the streach is pin wear or plates have streached (most likley both) .....you might feel diffrent about replacing it after than exercise. You can calculate the lenght it should be new by number of pitches X pitch

Personaly I wouldnt use a half link on a primary for other than a real temporary fix (like to get you home or something) Im sure others will chip in.

Last edited by Ignoramus; 09/15/09 9:00 pm.

"There's the way it ought to be and there's the way it is" (Sgt Barnes)
#274774 - 09/15/09 10:14 pm Re: primary chain - half link ok?? [Re: Ignoramus]  
trevinoz Online content
BritBike Forum member
trevinoz  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

newcastle australia
Some A10s had 1/2 links standard in both primary and rear chains.
I don't use them, I just use a chain one pitch shorter in the primary and rear to fit.
Trev.

#274803 - 09/16/09 2:44 am Re: primary chain - half link ok?? [Re: trevinoz]  
Ignoramus Online content
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Auckland NZ
Trev:
Big diffrence between a 1/2 link fitted as standard with a new chain and using a 1/2 link to compensate for chain streach/wear on an old chain though.

#274813 - 09/16/09 6:37 am Re: primary chain - half link ok?? [Re: Ignoramus]  
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
DavidP  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Gnashville
A Trident rear chain came with a half link. Only catch was that by the time you could do without the half link, your chain was shot.

Don't think I'd trust one on a primary chain, though.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
#274815 - 09/16/09 6:52 am Re: primary chain - half link ok?? [Re: Ignoramus]  
zambu Offline
BritBike Forum member
zambu  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Switzerland
Thanks for the infos! The chain (Renold) has 5000km on it, not that much I think. Even when new, I could not adjust it to a middle position. One pitch less was way too short. So I shifted the gearbox near the end and it was ok without the 1/2 link. But now with the streched chain it is not possible anymore. I just had a close look into my Haynes manual and on one of the pictures I saw a 1/2 link!! Like Trev said, some A10 must have had this as standard...

#275102 - 09/17/09 10:20 pm Re: primary chain - half link ok?? [Re: zambu]  
trevinoz Online content
BritBike Forum member
trevinoz  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

newcastle australia
Ignoramus,
I agree with you. Chain is not expensive compared to unobtainable parts!
Trev.

#275147 - 09/18/09 6:51 am Re: primary chain - half link ok?? [Re: trevinoz]  
zambu Offline
BritBike Forum member
zambu  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Switzerland
I measured the chain as Ignoramus proposed. The difference from streched to non streched was 7mm. This is 0.1mm per pitch. A lot! This is worn out. So I went to the Renold-Distributor which is close to me and got a new one. Costs 24 Euros. Interesting detail: The old type is no longer produced any more. They have a new design which they told me is better. Different plates, improved steel treatment. It is the 1/2 x 5/16 08B.

Thanks for your help! Have a nice weekend, in the workshop, on the road or wherever!!

#275234 - 09/18/09 6:24 pm Re: primary chain - half link ok?? [Re: zambu]  
Ignoramus Online content
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Auckland NZ
Zambu:
You have made a good decision I recon. If you want to know if your A10 chain was standard with the 1/2 link find in the manual how many pitches it is supposed to be. If it is an ODD number it uses the 1/2 link. If it is an EVEN number it does NOT. Eg 81 pitch = 1/2 link 80 pitch = no 1/2 link. (just random numbers as example).

Your chain should have lasted way longer than 5000 miles. Has it been run dry? or sprockets miss aligned?

The thing about Renolds chain is that there are at least 3 grades. Just becasue it is renolds doesnt mean its suitable for motorcycle! Renolds supply lots of industrial users (eg electric motors driving gearboxes at low speed and constant loads) and the industrial grades of chain are not intended for bikes. Typicaly industrial grade chain will have narrower plates of a diffrent Rockwell hardness. They are intended to be routinley replaced in maintanance work at specified hours of use. I susspect your 5000 mile chain may have been an industrial grade. Same applys to rear chain.

Back in the day when i didnt have any money or experience and couldnt afford a new rear chain on my A65 I got some industrial chain "end of rolls" free at a job and made one up with 4 joiners, it lasted till i could afford a decent one, I oiled it weekly! and greazed it 2 weekly!.

Some times a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do

Good luck

PS
dont forget to keep a close eye on your new chain you will probably need to retension it 2-3 times in 1000-2000 miles before it takes up its perminamt "set"..first adjustment should be at 250 miles or less!.Running a new chain with too much play will stuff it in short order! After it takes up its "set" it should last for ages.

Last edited by Ignoramus; 09/18/09 6:47 pm.

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.091s Queries: 15 (0.005s) Memory: 0.8614 MB (Peak: 1.0546 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-22 05:40:33 UTC