BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Jwood & co JRC Engineering dealers Jwood & co
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
29 registered members (BeezaBryan), 274 guests, and 450 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Biscuits, DT 150, DamienE, vietnammotorbike, Lennart Liljedah
10291 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 93
Lannis 66
Mori55 64
Popular Topics(Views)
638,107 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,396
Posts654,359
Members10,291
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Bent footrest, how do I straighten? #272988
09/02/09 5:54 pm
09/02/09 5:54 pm
Birmingham, UK
R
Rob_Heap Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Rob_Heap  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
R
Birmingham, UK
Hi All
Me 71TR6R has slightly bent footrests, more on the right than the left. Cant't see any sign of any other damage apart from a slight scratch on the RH exhaust so presume its fell of its stand or a very low speed tumble.

Is it possible to just use brute force to bend them back, cant be 100% sure but the RH bracket looks to be bent in a fraction so dont want to damage the frame eek

1971 TR6R Rolling restoration
07 Harley FXSTC 96ci
86 Kaw**ki GPZ900R that has to go...
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Bent footrest, how do I straighten? [Re: Rob_Heap] #272990
09/02/09 6:01 pm
09/02/09 6:01 pm
NL
G
Ger B Offline
BritBike Forum member
Ger B  Offline
BritBike Forum member
G
NL
I bent my right footrest after an accident last year.
I took it off the frame. heated the bent part cherry red with a welding flame (acytelene / oxygen) and kept the undammaged part cool with wet rags.
A few taps with a hammer end bending action wit a large shift spanner did the job.

Do not cool the hot part in water after you are finnished. Just let it cool gently to the air.

Ger B

Re: Bent footrest, how do I straighten? [Re: Rob_Heap] #272993
09/02/09 6:05 pm
09/02/09 6:05 pm
Back on the mainland!
JubeePrince Offline

Life member
JubeePrince  Offline

Life member
Back on the mainland!
It's possible to use brute force, yes. I successfully bent my timing side peg back and down using a five foot section of pipe slipped over the footrest and an extra pair of eyes to watch the frame plate.....slow and steady pressure did the job.

I chalk that up to me and a friend "catching" the bike when it started to go over a few years back...he thought I had it, I thought he had it, never dropped completely...long story short: the footrest does NOT make a good side stand!! shocked

I'd rather cold bend it than use heat.....would probably lose some strength after heating and cooling....

If you're unsure about bending the frame, you could always chuck the footrest up in a vise and use the pipe there.....

Steve

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
Re: Bent footrest, how do I straighten? [Re: Rob_Heap] #272994
09/02/09 6:07 pm
09/02/09 6:07 pm
Johns Creek,Ga
GaCracker Offline
BritBike Forum member
GaCracker  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Johns Creek,Ga
Several years ago, I had a low side tumble that bent the drive side footrest straight up. I was about 70 miles from home and just stood the bike up and jumped up and down on it till it straightened out. Took it off when I got home, put it in a vice and ball peen hammered it back to the correct angle. It's still on the bike. Greg

72 TR6RV
2004 Thruxton
Re: Bent footrest, how do I straighten? [Re: GaCracker] #273072
09/03/09 7:31 am
09/03/09 7:31 am
Los Angeles, CA
M
Mike Cornwall Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mike Cornwall  Offline
BritBike Forum member
M
Los Angeles, CA
I spent a truly unforgettable and illuminating afternoon covered in grease outside Raber's in San Jose trying to fix a million things. When the shop closed, the owner and some high-ups came out and lovingly hazed me about the bent footpegs. In their view, and you knew they had been debating it for years, you leave it on the bike and bend it cold with a disused fork tube.

Mr. Raber kept telling me, "C'mon, act like you like this thing!"

1972 Tiger 650
1978 Bonneville 750
1968 Victor 441
Re: Bent footrest, how do I straighten? [Re: Ger B] #273080
09/03/09 9:21 am
09/03/09 9:21 am
Melbourne Australia
Tiger Offline
BritBike Forum member
Tiger  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Melbourne Australia
Originally Posted By: Ger
I bent my right footrest after an accident last year.
I took it off the frame. heated the bent part cherry red with a welding flame (acytelene / oxygen) and kept the undammaged part cool with wet rags.
A few taps with a hammer end bending action wit a large shift spanner did the job.

Do not cool the hot part in water after you are finnished. Just let it cool gently to the air.

IME Marine Engineers know about such things, particularly when they are familiar with the part.

1969 TR6R
7.62 x 51 is not a maths puzzle.
Re: Bent footrest, how do I straighten? [Re: Tiger] #273161
09/03/09 9:07 pm
09/03/09 9:07 pm
NL
G
Ger B Offline
BritBike Forum member
Ger B  Offline
BritBike Forum member
G
NL
My problem was: the part that was bent in my footrest was bent in a light S-shape, so what I did was the only way. See that the upward part went down and than the downward part went up again. In marine engineers school we were teached blacksmith work - Yes, I know, but it was in the 1960's and now they learn how to program a fuel ecomomy computer - but I remembered part heating and part cooling works well when you need to bend a short part in a longer part.
The blacksmith teacher (who must be in his 90-s now if he is still alive) serviced horses hoofs (is that English?) in his spare time. He spoke limited Dutch and fluent Frisian and believe me: when I ride my bike through Friesland I still think about this craftsman.

Ger B

Re: Bent footrest, how do I straighten? [Re: Ger B] #273225
09/04/09 12:49 pm
09/04/09 12:49 pm
Lower Rhine Area, Germany
Towner Offline
BritBike Forum member
Towner  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Lower Rhine Area, Germany
Hi,

my timing side footrest has been bent slightly too, when I got the bike. I dismounted both footrests because they were interchanged (left to right) as well. I clamped the bent footrest into a vice and gave it some fair beats with hammer and black paint - ready.

Ralf

Triumph Bonneville 650 T120RV 1972
Norton Commando 850 MKII 1973

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership