BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
dommie90
dommie90
bac o burk qld
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
197 registered members (21inGoldie), 1,641 guests, and 516 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Berni, johnguppy, michael morgan, Xavier, J. Grant
9953 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 180
koan58 95
Stuart 82
Popular Topics(Views)
435,061 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,247
Posts631,778
Members9,953
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#252777 - 05/09/09 7:18 pm A65T suddenly dies  
GJ Offline
BritBike Forum member
GJ  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Holland
Hello all, do need some help here:

My A65T with Boyer ignition does have a new habit: starting after two kicks (like always), runs great (like always) and than after driving a couple of kilometers ( or miles ) sudenly dies without any reason. I than try to start the bike immediately but no way: it looks like the ignition has been turned off. After a few minutes it runs great again, like nothing has happened. During the ride there aren't any other signs of problems at all. This happens sometimes after 1 km, sometimes after 50 km and sometimes not at all!
I've checked the complete wiring etc., replaced the pick-up plate by a new one but no result.

Any idea's?

Gert-Jan

BSA A65T '68
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#252781 - 05/09/09 7:41 pm Re: A65T suddenly dies [Re: GJ]  
Ger B Offline
BritBike Forum member
Ger B  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NL
Hallo Gert-Jan, hoe gaat ie?

These are the worst problems, the "sometimes yes sometimes no" issues. Did you ever try the batpac thing you posted about some time ago? If yes; could that have done some damage to your Boyer?
I'd suggest to follow the complete system, small screws, plug connectors, but you say you have allready done that...
Can you isolate the ignition system from the rest of the wiring and run the ignition as "stand alone"?

Ger B

#252790 - 05/09/09 8:20 pm Re: A65T suddenly dies [Re: Ger B]  
DMadigan Offline
BritBike Forum member
DMadigan  Offline
BritBike Forum member

ca, us
Sounds like the usual problem, your fuel tank vent is blocked. If you took along a second plug and hooked it up when it "died", laid it against the cylinder and kicked, it would probably spark just fine. Of course you could flip open the fuel cap momentarily when it "dies" to see if it starts running again.

#252801 - 05/09/09 9:27 pm Re: A65T suddenly dies [Re: DMadigan]  
MarcB Offline
BritBike Forum member
MarcB  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Chelmsford MA
What about a bad coil, maybe gets hot and shorts itself out internally?

#252811 - 05/09/09 10:27 pm Re: A65T suddenly dies [Re: MarcB]  
Mark Z Online content
BritBike Forum member
Mark Z  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Owego, NY, USA
Look for a wire in the ignition circuit that is partially broken inside the insulation. Usually you can feel a "limp" spot in the wire. The jumper wire between the two coils is the primary suspect (and the easiest to replace out of hand).

When a wire is hanging on by only one or two strands, it may conduct when cold, but then it will heat up just from the current passing through the one or two strands, and virtually cease to conduct.

Also check for any wires loose in their terminals. Do a "tug test" on each terminal and watch for movement between terminal and wire. A loose crimp can be maddeningly intermittant.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
#252833 - 05/10/09 1:42 am Re: A65T suddenly dies [Re: Mark Z]  
cycarmark Offline
BritBike Forum member
cycarmark  Offline
BritBike Forum member

florida
My 1970 A65T had a similar problem, but much more consistent. It would stop running like the ignition was turned off after a few minutes of running and then restart after a short while and be fine the rest of the day. I went through the testing of the wiring harness, checking all connections, adding extra ground wires, checking the battery, but what solved the problem was to replace the Boyer black box. It immediately solved the problem. Replacing the black box is not one of the first things to do as it is expensive, but if all other things do not do the trick, the box itself could be at fault.

#252870 - 05/10/09 10:48 am Re: A65T suddenly dies [Re: cycarmark]  
nisse Offline
BritBike Forum member
nisse  Offline
BritBike Forum member

sweden
Iīm also going for the vent in the fuelcap

I have a similar problem om my 650 -71 but I have two carburettors so sometimes after a couple of miles one cylinder begins to shut down and then itīs just to open the cap and it runs again. Iīve cleaned out the venthole and made it bigger but i doesnīt help so itīs about to be changed

good luck finding the problem

#252974 - 05/10/09 10:27 pm Re: A65T suddenly dies [Re: nisse]  
BSA_WM20 Online content
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Sydney Australia
Gert,
For a start make some jumper leads, one to go from the battery to the Boyer bypasses the ignition switch). one to earth out the coils and one to bridge the two coils. And I said make as in put some terminals or alligator clips on the ends. Then off for your usual test ride,with only 1/2 tank of fuel and the cap not fully tightened down. If the bike stops, try each of the jumper wires in turn. If it dosn't then repair or replace the cap.
If none of these work then have a good look at the coils.
You should be able to get a double ended one from an old Japaneese bike that has removeable high tension leads. Put some terminals on the wires so that you can quickly slip it in and try your test ride again.
If that makes no difference then there are only 2 things left the trigger & it's wireing or the black box itself.

Having been a member of the BSAMCC of NSW for nigh on 30 years I can defineatly state that 99.99% of these problems have been a bad connection to the Boyer and shamefully it is usually one of the termnals that was attatched at the factory.
Boyer get no sympathy from me by useing those absolute crap insulated crimp terminals that are 100% totally unsuitable for use on a motorcycle and for that alone they deserve to go bankrupt. I can never understand why an extremely good & reliable product can be made so unreliable for the sake of a 2p connector.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
#253197 - 05/11/09 7:32 pm Re: A65T suddenly dies [Re: BSA_WM20]  
GJ Offline
BritBike Forum member
GJ  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Holland
Hoi Ger, dat is lang geleden! Long time no see! Hij gaat goed dank je.

All, thanks for the replys; I now have something to go for.
I'll start with the fuel cap, which is the cheapest option...

The coil i use is a Honda type with double end, it is only one year old so i don't think this is a bad one but you never know. Also easy to have a look at this one.

I forgot to mention in my first post that when the bike stops i immediately did remove the sparkplugs to check if there was a spark: only after a couple of minutes the spark was back: maybe indeed a bad coil?

I will also have a look at the boyers connections.

All, thanks again. I'll let you know about the results.

Rgds, Gert-Jan

BSA A65T '68
#253200 - 05/11/09 7:48 pm Re: A65T suddenly dies [Re: GJ]  
nisse Offline
BritBike Forum member
nisse  Offline
BritBike Forum member

sweden
my question is :is the coil compatible with the Boyer? current.resistance and so on

#253233 - 05/11/09 9:48 pm Re: A65T suddenly dies [Re: GJ]  
MikeA65F Offline
BritBike Forum member
MikeA65F  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Aberdeen MD
Not sure what year bike you have, but my 70 Firebird was acting the same way. Getting plenty of spark so it had to be gas. The concentrics have a filter at the banjo connection. The left side was filthy so I cleaned both and the bike has not acted up since.
Good Luck

#258212 - 06/09/09 6:01 pm Re: A65T suddenly dies [Re: nisse]  
GJ Offline
BritBike Forum member
GJ  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Holland
What about a bad rotor (dynamo)? Does this have an imm. effect on the Boyer even if your battery is fully loaded? I've replaced the ampere-meter: it also looks like it is not loading the system very well (low output).

BSA A65T '68
#258384 - 06/10/09 12:34 pm Re: A65T suddenly dies [Re: GJ]  
penna-john Offline
BritBike Forum member
penna-john  Offline
BritBike Forum member

duncannon penna
make sure your ac charging wires arent in the vicinity of your ignition wires, that can make interference

#258395 - 06/10/09 2:05 pm Re: A65T suddenly dies [Re: penna-john]  
Valk Offline
BritBike Forum member
Valk  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Bethesda, MD
My '66 Tbolt did the same - pooped out every time after 10 miles, then would fire right up after an hour or 2 rest. I also have a Boyer.

Turned out that my Dyna coil was mounted such that one of the terminals was too close to a frame member and was jumping the gap and shorting out. After a while, the coil would reset and the bike would fire right up until it did it again.

Sounds kinda like you...

Peter

'56 Road Rocket
'66 Lightningbolt
'98 Valk
#271202 - 08/20/09 5:54 pm Re: A65T suddenly dies [Re: Valk]  
GJ Offline
BritBike Forum member
GJ  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Holland
Well, finally it looks like i have found the problem: i fitted an other (used) coil and since then i have done approx. 70 km's without any problem! Life can be so nice on a BSA...
Future will tell more.

Anyway, thanks again for the help.

Rgds, Gert-Jan

BSA A65T '68
#271234 - 08/20/09 8:35 pm Re: A65T suddenly dies [Re: GJ]  
Ger B Offline
BritBike Forum member
Ger B  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NL
Goedgedaanjoggie! beerchug

Ger B

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.240s Queries: 15 (0.016s) Memory: 0.9109 MB (Peak: 1.1659 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-18 19:31:32 UTC