BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Ron Peck
Ron Peck
Chico, CA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
213 registered members (69BSATONY), 1,825 guests, and 542 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 185
koan58 100
Stuart 86
NickL 65
Popular Topics(Views)
436,819 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,269
Posts632,112
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#26407 - 06/21/07 5:08 am NGK B7ES or B8ES - Does it matter? 67 Thunderbolt A65  
ChiefEagle Offline
BritBike Forum member
ChiefEagle  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Washington State
Greetings. I am new here and new to the world of BSA's.

I recently picked up a nice original 1967 Thunderbolt A65 for a good price. It sat a while with the previous owner who just bought it to restore it (I like it as is). So I've changed all the oils and cleaned out the gas tank. It fired right up, but did not want to idle so I pulled the AMAL Monobloc carb off and dismantled it and cleaned it with Berrymans. I'm sorting a few more things out before I start it again.

The spark plugs in it now are NGK B8ES and they appear to be in good shape, but the manual says B7ES for single carb engines 1966 and onward so I went out and bought what the manual says. I'm told the top end was rebuilt and it does have electronic ignition on it.

Finally the questions---Should I switch to the proper B7ES or does it need the B8ES because of the electronic ignition??
Or does it even matter?? I just don't want to do any damage from too hot of a spark plug.

Thanks for any advice,
Sam

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#26408 - 06/21/07 9:03 am Re: NGK B7ES or B8ES - Does it matter? 67 Thunderbolt A65  
bonnie john Offline
BritBike Forum member
bonnie john  Offline
BritBike Forum member

sunshine coast, queensland, au...
8's are colder than 7's with NGK

nice find, enjoy

p.s. WELCOME

SPEED KILLS
do not exceed 250mg ...
#26409 - 06/21/07 10:19 am Re: NGK B7ES or B8ES - Does it matter? 67 Thunderbolt A65  
GREEN MONSTER Offline
BritBike Forum member
GREEN MONSTER  Offline
BritBike Forum member

southern N.H.
You are one luck man that is a nice BEEZA.
OK you already did one of the best things for her and installed a modern ign. start out fat (IE) B8ES and work you're way to happyness.
Remmember to jet for low end as well as mid. and high with the FEDS putting ethol and ketone in our petrol a little Marvel Mystery Oil added to every tank does wonders also.
And remember it is better to have run fat and fowled plugs than run lean and burned hole in pistons or worse.
Good Night and Good Luck Signed the GreenMonster

Good Night and Good Luck Signed GreenMonster
#26410 - 06/21/07 11:56 am Re: NGK B7ES or B8ES - Does it matter? 67 Thunderbolt A65  
Britbodger R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
Britbodger R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

Houston Texas
Also nice bike bigt

EI instead of points shouldn't make any difference as far as plug choice is concerned.

With regard to plug selection, think a lot depends upon type of riding. If mostly around town and gentle touring I would think E7's are OK. Well at least I know several riders who haven't experienced any problem using them.

On the other hand if you are going to ride it hard, I would recommend the colder E8's to be on the safe side.

In order to negate the fouling potential of the colder plugs its a good idea to use the fine wire type (Gold palladuim, iridium platinum etc). Unfortunately I'm not up to speed at the moment as to whats available out there as fine wire plugs are concerned. Currently I'm using B8VS's (Gold Palladium) in my BSA R3 (different animal to the Thunderbolt I know)but they are no longer available as I understand it.

HTH

#26411 - 06/21/07 5:54 pm Re: NGK B7ES or B8ES - Does it matter? 67 Thunderbolt A65  
Semper Gumby Offline
BritBike Forum member
Semper Gumby  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Atlanta, GA USA
NGK BR8EIX is the iridium version of a fine wire plug. Works fine, a bit sooty but the carbs may be running rich in the mid range. I don't know yet weither they are worth the extra cost. It's an on going project with the 1971 Thunderbolt. BTW I run stock points, NGK caps (5K ohm) and stock coils.

I'm about to do a 2000 mile service so it will be time to tweak the carberation again.

There is another thread that covers all the plugs from KLEG to Champion quite well on this (BSA) board.

Gaggle of BSAs
a Honda
an old BMW
and a Montesa
Parking lot Elf in training
#26412 - 06/21/07 6:15 pm Re: NGK B7ES or B8ES - Does it matter? 67 Thunderbolt A65  
Britbodger R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
Britbodger R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

Houston Texas
Semper,

Unfortunately, think the advantages gained by the BR8EIX plugs maybe offset by them being resistor type - unless you have Boyer Micro-Digital EI that is.

I'm going to look into what's available out there in non-resistor type fine wire plugs.

beerchug

#26413 - 06/21/07 11:49 pm Re: NGK B7ES or B8ES - Does it matter? 67 Thunderbolt A65  
ChiefEagle Offline
BritBike Forum member
ChiefEagle  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Washington State
Thanks for the help and comments guys. I was pretty fortunate to find a survivor in good shape. Even my wife likes it.

I think I'll stick with the B8ES for now. Better safe than sorry I guess. I'll see how it does after a few rides and go from there.
I fired it up today and it runs way better with the cleaned out carb.

Thanks again,
Sam

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.676s Queries: 14 (0.069s) Memory: 0.8353 MB (Peak: 0.9981 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-21 01:05:29 UTC