BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
cjhols
cjhols
Bendigo, Australia
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
206 registered members (2slow), 1,489 guests, and 564 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Joe Abramo, YukoNorton, Konstantinos, mydnightrider, Mike hulley
9988 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 151
Lannis 115
Stuart 111
koan58 94
Popular Topics(Views)
453,815 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,464
Posts631,846
Members9,988
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
#256661 - 06/01/09 8:18 am 66 T120R Project *****  
R Moulding Online content
BritBike Forum member
R Moulding  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ
Well i was looking at a pre-unit as something to play with but the money got a little rich for my liking. So i found this 66 T120R and went for that instead!
Got a few bits to track down,gearbox cover correct tank etc but it all matches and should be a bit of fun. Poor thing had only been in the garage overnight and then the second picture was taken the nect afternoon.

Rod

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#256696 - 06/01/09 3:08 pm Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: R Moulding]  
GrandPaul Online content
BritBike Forum member
GrandPaul  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Laredo (South) Texas, USA
A rolling stone gathers no moss.

Looks like this is going to be a good project!

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
#257014 - 06/03/09 2:17 am Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: GrandPaul]  
thebevman Offline
BritBike Forum member
thebevman  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Yucca Valley, CA.
Looks like the first step has been taken. Good luck. I'm also in the process of rebuilding my '66 T120R, but the P.O. though he was a born customizer and hacked it up.

'66 Bitsa Bonnie

#257641 - 06/06/09 3:13 am Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: thebevman]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ
Thanks GP i'll try not to dissapoint!
Bevman,stick some pics up id love to see it.

Anyway some small progress this week. Dropped the frame sections to a blaster and got them back yesterday. I prefer the look of paint to powdercoat so im going with 2K black as i used on my TR6. So here are some pics of the first steps.......

#257644 - 06/06/09 3:30 am Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: R Moulding]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ

After welding up some extra holes in the rear loop i spent some time with a grinder and sanding disc cleaning up some of the splatter.

Then two or three coats of a good quality etch primer. This stuff is in a rattle can and im using it just as a good base for some 2K high build primer that will come later to give some better protection. I will be masking over the frame number first!

You may be able to make out in my first pics that the bike had a piece of square bar welded across the frame with some extra foot pegs. This was trimmed with a hacksaw and the reamains finished with a grinder and sanding disc.

Spent some more time cleaning up splatter before a quick degrease.

and the same 2-3 coats of etch

and this is how she sits tonight

Let me know if im getting carried away with the pics! Gonna be a short break while i finish setting up me compressor,lines,water trap etc.

Rod

#257676 - 06/06/09 1:34 pm Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: R Moulding]  
GrandPaul Online content
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Well, just how cool is that?

I noticed your chaise lounge was already beckoning by the time you got the frame halves together...

That's not too many pix, just right.

#257746 - 06/06/09 9:55 pm Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: GrandPaul]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ
It had been a long and arduous day. Gave the TR6 a kick at about 9am and took a ride down the back roads to town. Popped in to see a new friend of mine with a collection of British bikes. Among others a never raced hardly used 63 T120C. He was kind enough to make me coffee and show me round some more.
Then back along the back roads home to do what you see above. Then pushed the TR6 back in the garage to make myself comfy with a beer,spent an hour or two motorcycle staring before bottling up me home brew.
Crist its a hard life!
Rod

#258079 - 06/09/09 1:38 am Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: R Moulding]  
GrandPaul Online content
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Boo Hoo

Poor guy, you've got it tough.

(me too)

#258953 - 06/13/09 8:46 am Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: GrandPaul]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ
Not to much going on,got myself a small blast cabinet during the week. Spent most evenings stripping parts for the front end. Also got the compressor set up with a water trap ready for some spraying.

So first pic. The top yoke had some damage caused by the handle bars hitting it and also some one had ground away the bottom of the instrument mount lugs. All this was built up with weld...

...then all cleaned up and shaped with a sanding disc and some coarse paper.

After sorting that i gave all the freshly blasted bits a coat or two of etch primer and left em for a bit to dry.
Then mixed up some high build and painted the frame and the rest of the bits with four coats followed by a black guide coat over the bits that require some attention.

This is going to take most of the week to dry so i'll need to ocupie myself till next week end when i can flat everything and get some black on.

Rod

#261410 - 06/27/09 3:38 am Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: R Moulding]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ
Last weekend i had myself all set up and ready to go. Then i flicked on my 2 week old compressor and it shit itself and died! Consequently i got a bit of girlie on and went and sulked for the weekend.

Now i have a fresh compressor so this is what been going on today.

Spent a couple hours doing some more blasting. Its a bit tedious so i do some till i cant take anymore then get on with something else. So back to the frame.

Been thinking of ann easy way to get it bolted up together and aligned nicely. Method i came up with was to drop a plum from the inportant bits and then draw pictures on the floor. So from the headstock i dropped the line from either side of the lower mounting lug putting the line through the hole from the other side so it centered in the hole. Did the same from the swingarm mounts and again from the rear shock mounts. This is what i plotted...

Now i measured up the front part of the frame and its nice and square (which is nice) but if you look the line from the shock mounting on one side intersects the swingarm mounting perfect,the other side is about 20mm out. So some tugging and pulling was in order to end up with this...

With the boring bit all done and everything tightened up,i hung the frame back and spot primed it before lots of coats of nice shiney black. I forgot how much of a pain it is to paint a frame and there is a run or two but nothing that cant be fixed. This is how she sits now...

#261560 - 06/28/09 8:52 am Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: R Moulding]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ
Now so as you guys dont think im slacking i got back out in the garage again today. Bit cold for anything to serious so settled for some blasting wet flatting and priming....

The exaust mount one side and engine plates were chromed,i flatted these with 320 grit wet and dry before etching them and them priming them. I dont like to paint on chrome but have found this to be the best method short of trying to grind it off or have it removed.
I should also explain that i am trying to avoid over restoring the bike,cosmeticly i obviously have to repaint everything but im trying to leave some of the bikes life behind. The little dent in one headlamp ear,the pitting in the battery box and frame from a leaky battery etc. It is over 40 years old and should wear these things with pride?

Rod

#261706 - 06/28/09 11:27 pm Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: R Moulding]  
GrandPaul Online content
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Good bit of work there!

Looking sharp.

#261760 - 06/29/09 10:51 am Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: GrandPaul]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ
Just noticed your location GP.....

#262199 - 07/01/09 12:34 am Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: R Moulding]  
GrandPaul Online content
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Born and raised.

Been here all of 52 years, only 4 years NOT spent within a 200' radius of the same spot where I'm sitting at this moment (when I was in the Navy, 150 miles away).

#262792 - 07/04/09 6:37 am Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: GrandPaul]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ
Thats a long ol time in one place GP! Im making the assumption that 85 was the last time this thing was on the road,strange to think what people keep tucked away?

Anyhow,been doing a few bits during the week. Im not yet set up to weld at home so i take bits to work and do them in my lunch break. At the moment im on the side panel and its mountings. Origionally the side panel hangs from 2 straps which bolt to the battery tray supports another strap under the ignition switch attatches it via a short metal plate to the frame downtube and a rubber gromet in the bottom of the panel locates on a pin similar to the oil tank that bolts to the rear engine plate. On this bike that pin was the only origional mounting point. To explain further... the strap under the ign switch had been broken off and the rear most strap at the top of the panel had also been broken away taking with it a section of the panel. The hole for the rubber grommet had elongated and another hole had been added which had also worn away. A slit had been cut in the rearmost edge of the panel and a hose clip threaded through to clamp it to the frame. To one remaining strap at the top of the panel was rendered useless by the fitting of a later support (battery tray) strap.

So first things first,sort the mounting points to the frame. The later support strap was modified by welding a 1/4 inch by half bolt to it using the rear strap as a template. The rear strap was treated to a similar bolt due to the tread being stripped....

Next was to let new steel into the side panel ready to take the new mounting straps. This is how it looked before hand....

The missshaped hinge cut out is due to me hammering together a split in the panel. With the steel split like it was it would be a bad idea to hold the parts together and weld,this would leave the joint under tension and cause it to crack again. Intead i used a planishing hammer and dolly to shrink the steel and pull the crack together reducing the tension in the steel.

The only way to sort these holes was to cut a section out and replace it with new steel,it can be re-drilled later.
The sections to be repaired were ground back to bare steel before being cut out and new steel let in. This was then ground and metal finished as best i could. I wanted to avoid to much filler and the finished welds should require no more than a few coats of high build primer. The two missing mounting tags will be made and fitted when i am in a possition to mock it all up against the frame.

Im affraid its been lots of words and little progress but i did manage to blast a few more bits. Just the swing arm to finish and i can put the blast cabinet away for the time being.

All the best
Rod

#262961 - 07/05/09 10:51 am Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: R Moulding]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ
Nothing to exiting today. I finished blasting the swingarm. Cabinet i got is probably a little on the small side and made it a bit awkward. After that i got it and the last few small bits primed and thats about it. Im waiting for the footrests to come back from the machine shop as one of them had the locating pins sheared off and i have to order the rubber bushes etc to mock up the side panel and finish that.

Bit of luck i can get some more black done next weekend and think about some new bits to start bolting it all together before i start the engine.

Im still looking for the corect tank and gearbox cover (plain one)if anyone reading has them spare?

Rod

#263818 - 07/09/09 7:53 am Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: R Moulding]  
dave jones Offline
BritBike Forum member
dave jones  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Emsworth, sunny south of Engla...
Redmoggy- Very nice work indeed! Did you get this bike from an autojumble?
Dave

#263821 - 07/09/09 9:38 am Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: dave jones]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ
Thanks Dave. The bike came from Trade me (N/Z version of eBay) and had recently come in from the states.
How is the sunny south of England? I really miss bimbling round the back of Portsdown hill looking for beer!

Rod

#263919 - 07/09/09 10:40 pm Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: R Moulding]  
Beljum Offline
BritBike Forum member
Beljum  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Ohio

Nice job!

Quote:
i take bits to work and do them in my lunch break

I know what you mean....lunch...before work...after work...a lot can get done this way.

Good work on the side cover. Any ideas about the final paint color?

Beljum

Go for a ride on a preunit laugh

September 2010 Cuyahoga Valley Ride

'55 "The Mighty 6T", '73 Commando in boxes, '01 DR650, '90 CR250

#263966 - 07/10/09 9:22 am Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: Beljum]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ
Thank you Beljum,coming from yourself i shall take that as a compliment! I am an avid follower of WVK but never felt qualified to coment.
Final colour will be bog stock Trumpet. I love the standard US 66 scheme. Thats most of the reason i got the bike!
I like fitting the bike in around everything else,it keeps it fresh and stops it being a drag?

Rod

#264065 - 07/11/09 1:28 am Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: R Moulding]  
Beljum Offline
BritBike Forum member
Beljum  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Ohio

Quote:
I am an avid follower of WVK but never felt qualified to comment.

We are good company because I dont feel qualified either! Looking back, I can only imagine the looks on HT, JW^2 and GPs faces when I posted the chapter on hacking up WVKs rear mudguard (unbeknownst to me, a 59 Bonneville part). Lucky for me the bodge came out OK and those guys still talk to me.
Your progress looks great and no doubt the T120R will be a fine motorbike!

B

Go for a ride on a preunit laugh

September 2010 Cuyahoga Valley Ride

'55 "The Mighty 6T", '73 Commando in boxes, '01 DR650, '90 CR250

#265479 - 07/18/09 5:33 am Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: Beljum]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ
Recon the fender repair came out perfectly good mate! You are right though there are some talented people kicking around this board!

Heres hoping it will infact be a nice bike.

Rod

#265480 - 07/18/09 5:46 am Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: R Moulding]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ
Decided last weekend i would take the oportunity to drag the TR6 out and stretch its legs,with the idea of doing some painting on the Sunday. Well Sunday it rained so i just sat with a bucket of warm water and flatted some primer. Then had some beer.

Today it stayed dry and reasonably warm so i let up me laundry line and got on with painting some black...

and a close up to show the finish...

this is as far as i got. Once the air had cleared i opened a bottle of homebrew and got comfy in me chair. Woke up an hour or so later. Life is indeed good!

Should see the first of the new bits for assembly in the next couple weeks. I can get the frame back together and start to dissmantle the engine. I can see lots more blasting in my future!

#268104 - 08/01/09 9:50 pm Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: R Moulding]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ
Been waiting for my first care package from the UK,so i,ve done some more blasting. The head is all ready to go to the machine shop for new seats and guides and the broken fins on one of the rocker boxes have been welded and dressed by a very talented friend of mine. I must learn to weld aluminiun!

Yesterday morning as i was tinkering in the garage the nice postie dropped of my package from Mr Len Craig so i got to do some assembly. Still waiting on some hardware so excuse the screwdrivers!

Mostly just a case of bolting on new bits at the moment. The fron fork internals were all shop to pieces,
infact when i stripped one of the legs i found a 5/16 nut wedged between the slider body and the restricter.
It had been in there for some time as the stanchion bottom nut was in a terible state! So new fork internals
head races swingarm bushes and bobbins and new rear shocks.
Waiting now for some more bushes to temporary mount the oil tank and then i can finish the side panel and
get it and the oil tank all sorted for paint.

Rod

#274174 - 09/11/09 1:42 am Re: 66 T120R Project [Re: R Moulding]  
BobM Offline
BritBike Forum member
BobM  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Myrtle Beach, SC, USA
Rod,

Any update on your project? I've been following your build as I'm looking for a 66 to do myself. Great work so far. Keep it up.

Bob

1966 Triumph Thunderbird 6TA
1967 Norton Atlas
1967 BSA Spitfire
Several Harleys
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

Moderated by  Richrd 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 2.406s Queries: 16 (0.149s) Memory: 1.0160 MB (Peak: 1.3719 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-12-16 01:24:24 UTC