BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
rebelpaul
rebelpaul
Essex,England.
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
33 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 199 guests, and 363 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Dan1818, Konaflyer, Begbie, Andrew Fallo, Zack Banks
10419 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 87
Rohan 78
reverb 75
Triless 73
Popular Topics(Views)
713,220 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,313
Posts665,105
Members10,419
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Time for a Prediction Check-up [Re: Lannis] #254760
05/21/09 1:27 am
05/21/09 1:27 am
Pennsyltuckey
ricochetrider Offline

Moto Mojo
ricochetrider  Offline

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
well, i am basically happy as ever, work is UP this month but DOWN last month, next month LOOKS good but if MY first quarter average holds true, i'll top out at $19,000+/- this year.
who needs money if you got LOVE?

as for political statements, heres MINE:
JUST last night (SERIOUSLY) i found out there are BLACK republicans!!!

dude, i gotta GET OUT MORE OFTEN!
see what happens when you WATCH TV?

i'm tellin ya, man it just keeps getting weirder and weirder!
where will it END?

so far so good lannis...keep up the good work bro!

Last edited by ricochetrider; 05/21/09 1:36 am.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Time for a Prediction Check-up [Re: ricochetrider] #254761
05/21/09 1:40 am
05/21/09 1:40 am
Central Virginia
Lannis Offline OP

Life member
Lannis  Offline OP

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted By: ricochetrider

who needs money if you got LOVE?

I NEED love ... I LIKE money ... !

Pace'n'luv bro !

Lannis

I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is really going to be upset.
Re: Time for a Prediction Check-up [Re: Lannis] #254764
05/21/09 1:43 am
05/21/09 1:43 am
Central Virginia
Lannis Offline OP

Life member
Lannis  Offline OP

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted By: trumpetloon
Well... seems I have come late to this party.... Are all of you who corresponded during business hours out of work? .....

No but we will be if you keep on talkin' .... shocked shocked

Lannis

I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is really going to be upset.
Re: Time for a Prediction Check-up [Re: Lannis] #254772
05/21/09 2:08 am
05/21/09 2:08 am
Earth
R
rick e. Offline
BritBike Forum member
rick e.  Offline
BritBike Forum member
R

Earth
Lannis sez: "And when Obama finally craters and burns like Johnson and Carter and Clinton (why, that's every blue Prez for the past 45 years!), we'll be there to pick up the pieces and make smaller pieces out of them for the next 4 or 8 or 12 years...."

Oh Mercy! I was so happy that George W Bush came to pick up the pieces after Clinton!!! You know, the budget surplus he was given and all! He did a right bang-up job! All that Dogma jam'd down our throats. Very Yummy!!. Oh and let's not forget he brought the boogie man out of the closet. ( Hey, great time to make some silly predictions!)Yes, be very very afraid! Oh and lets not forget how strong he said our house of cards were! (economy) Oh, the big one was how he united the planet! Yep-pers, he really pick'd up the pieces!!

Lannis sez: "But I'll tell you, with your tenderness of conscience about "insults"

No insults to me! I've been thru alot in my life time.

Just thought I would give a hint that you might be digging a hole and folks might not think that the last 8 years were that keen.

Predictions: Critical thinking is a lost art.

"Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
Carbon monoxide making sure it's effective...
----THE CLASH-----

Re: Time for a Prediction Check-up [Re: rick e.] #254773
05/21/09 2:25 am
05/21/09 2:25 am
Middle Tennessee
F
flgoff Offline
BritBike Forum member
flgoff  Offline
BritBike Forum member
F

Middle Tennessee
Gee, I seem to remember paying $3.49 a gallon for regular gas on one of my rides to California . . . I haven't been to California since Mr Obama was elected our President, so it must have been on the other guy's watch.

Floyd (Member: ThreeMustGetBeers)

There are no demons inside my helmet; only the magic of the Universe gliding past my every sense.
1951 BSA C11(Leaky Lena)
2010 BMW G650 GS(Scarlett)
Re: Time for a Prediction Check-up [Re: Lannis] #254776
05/21/09 2:41 am
05/21/09 2:41 am
Far Northwest Washington
Marvin E. Woody Offline
BritBike Forum member
Marvin E. Woody  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Far Northwest Washington
Well Lannis, I'm happy that the "doom sayers" were less than accurate. Being retired, on fixed income, I'm not doing so bad...but if I still lived in Charlottesville, (the city of my birth) I'd be paying the Commonwealth nasty ol' income taxes...that would cut in to my discretionary income, which I spend on ale.... and re-chroming!

1979 T140E
1994 Cadillac ETC
Re: Time for a Prediction Check-up [Re: Lannis] #254821
05/21/09 1:21 pm
05/21/09 1:21 pm
East Bethany New York
Dick Harris Offline
BritBike Forum member
Dick Harris  Offline
BritBike Forum member

East Bethany New York
Interesting, Oh yeh,come on guys,just watch NPR and be "HAPPY" I'm goin' ridin'
Dick

Re: Time for a Prediction Check-up [Re: flgoff] #254830
05/21/09 2:24 pm
05/21/09 2:24 pm
Seattle
Alex Offline

BritBike Forum member
Alex  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Seattle
Originally Posted By: flgoff
Gee, I seem to remember paying $3.49 a gallon for regular gas on one of my rides to California . . . I haven't been to California since Mr Obama was elected our President, so it must have been on the other guy's watch.

I'm guessing Lannis meant GHW Bush? Gas was over $4.00 a gallon here two years ago on his spawn's watch.

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.
Re: Time for a Prediction Check-up [Re: Alex] #254831
05/21/09 2:32 pm
05/21/09 2:32 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Offline OP

Life member
Lannis  Offline OP

Life member

Central Virginia
Oh guys - the point was that last year, while one of the Bushes and his Big Oil Henchmen were in control of oil prices, manipulating them as they willed and laughing as they pocketed the enormous profits, we were at a point when I was paying $1.65 a gallon for gas.

Now there's another guy in charge. One who supposedly does NOT control oil prices via his Big Oil Henchmen. And since he's been in charge, gas has climbed to $2.25 a gallon.

My apparently-too-subtle point was that EITHER:

1) Gas prices aren't and weren't controlled by Bush and his Big Oil Henchmen, as some frantic victim-hunters here were asserting

OR

2) Obama has his OWN Big Oil Henchmen and they are pocketing increasing profits and laughing all the way to the bank and slipping Michelle a little on the side to keep it quiet.

I'm sure that someone will scramble around and propose that while Bush was "in control", that he controlled oil prices to his benefit. But now, it's all changed, and market forces, supply and demand, have taken over, and poor BHO can't do a thing about it ....

I can't believe this is all you guys got ... ?

Lannis

Re: Time for a Prediction Check-up [Re: Lannis] #254842
05/21/09 3:21 pm
05/21/09 3:21 pm
upstate ny
G
George Elston Offline
BritBike Forum member
George Elston  Offline
BritBike Forum member
G

upstate ny
Or perhaps big oil is completely beyond anyone in governments control and they just do whatever they want . Seems strange to me that the announcement every January that " gas will be at thus and such by Memorial Day " always comes true .
As to unemployment rates maybe the key isn't how high they are but how many people with decent paying jobs have been forced to take much lower paying jobs in this fine ecomnomic climate . Maybe underemployed is the apprpriate word .

57 Woodsman
64 Interceptor
58 Trailblazer
59 Constellation
64 500 Sport twin
61 Hornet

2001 W650
1966 W1
Re: Time for a Prediction Check-up [Re: George Elston] #254844
05/21/09 3:30 pm
05/21/09 3:30 pm
British Columbia
hh Offline
BritBike Forum member
hh  Offline
BritBike Forum member

British Columbia

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin
Re: Time for a Prediction Check-up [Re: George Elston] #254845
05/21/09 3:33 pm
05/21/09 3:33 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Offline OP

Life member
Lannis  Offline OP

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted By: George Elston
Or perhaps big oil is completely beyond anyone in governments control and they just do whatever they want . Seems strange to me that the announcement every January that " gas will be at thus and such by Memorial Day " always comes true .
As to unemployment rates maybe the key isn't how high they are but how many people with decent paying jobs have been forced to take much lower paying jobs in this fine ecomnomic climate . Maybe underemployed is the apprpriate word .

Perhaps they are beyond anybody's control. If that's the case, and we demonstrate that we will sit still for $3.50 a gallon gas and keep burning it at the same rate, then why do they let it drop to half of that, whacking their own profits and revenues? Maybe they're just not very smart. At least that would fit the facts.

And maybe some people ARE underemployed. There's no way to really tell, but, taking it as a hypothesis, I can't make it square with the facts of what I see every day, and see in airports, and see at rallies and at the Talladega races and in constantly over-booked hotel rooms, and constantly-expanding development. Looks like I'd see SOME dimunition in traffic, and the number of boats lined up at ramps on the lakes, and the length of lines of people trying to get into expensive restaurants on Friday night. But I don't.

Still, it's possible.

Lannis

Re: Time for a Prediction Check-up [Re: Lannis] #254846
05/21/09 3:39 pm
05/21/09 3:39 pm
British Columbia
hh Offline
BritBike Forum member
hh  Offline
BritBike Forum member

British Columbia
If you drop prices really low for a while, give the sheople excessive credit at artificially low rates so they can mortgage their house, tell them to do their patriotic duty and buy a ridiculously inefficient SUV so Bin Laden didn't win, you're going to make a lot more money after raising the prices than if you just kept them high. It sure worked.

Re: Time for a Prediction Check-up [Re: Lannis] #254848
05/21/09 3:44 pm
05/21/09 3:44 pm
Earth
R
rick e. Offline
BritBike Forum member
rick e.  Offline
BritBike Forum member
R

Earth
Lannis: "I'm sure that someone will scramble around and propose that while Bush was "in control", that he controlled oil prices to his benefit."

Wow, I agree with Lannis. GWB never control'd anything in is life. (except kicking the booze and....and his lemmings) Do a little reading, he screw'd up every deal/business when it came to oil or anything else for that matter.... But man he sure try'd to play with the big oil boys. Even try'd carving out a country and who owns what....

As far as "poor BHO" Lannis was almost right. He got the supply and demand part right. But "poor BHO" just changed the MPG standard (i.e. DEMAND side) "...can't do a thing" Really?

GWB and the Right thought the "Supply" side was the way to go. Drill baby drill....that holes getting deeper!

Since you cherry pick'd that 'flash in the pan' $1.65 number. I pay'd $5.15 Bay Area West Coast under GWB.

----THE CLASH-----

Re: Time for a Prediction Check-up [Re: rick e.] #254851
05/21/09 3:53 pm
05/21/09 3:53 pm
Earth
R
rick e. Offline
BritBike Forum member
rick e.  Offline
BritBike Forum member
R

Earth
Oh HH is right. A really, really, good read is how unemployment numbers are generated/calc. Most people think that 8% unemployed means 92% have jobs.....

----THE CLASH-----

Re: Time for a Prediction Check-up [Re: rick e.] #254853
05/21/09 3:58 pm
05/21/09 3:58 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Offline OP

Life member
Lannis  Offline OP

Life member

Central Virginia
You guys are the ones who keep bringing up Bush. I never liked him, never thought he was the right guy to be President, never thought that Dynastic Succession (a la Kennedy, Bush, Byrd, Clinton) was the way to go.

If you quit looking at this as an instant kneejerk "Oh, Lannis is Rush Limbaugh and he loves George Bush" and look at what I'm actually writing, which has no love affair with any Bush, GW, G, or J in it, you'll see that I don't deny that we paid big money for gas at one time during the last 8 years.

I'm only saying that we ALSO paid little money for gas, the cheapest in real terms in the last 40 years, during that same time, and it doesn't seem to square with the "Big Oil In Control" scenario, unless you convolute it out of recognition.

Read what I'm writing, not what you heard someone else say on TV, Please!

Or DON'T read what I'm writing, just skip it. My name is pretty unique AND easy to avoid. That would probably help some folkses blood pressure. And that would be great!

Lannis

Re: Time for a Prediction Check-up [Re: rick e.] #254855
05/21/09 3:52 pm
05/21/09 3:52 pm
upstate ny
G
George Elston Offline
BritBike Forum member
George Elston  Offline
BritBike Forum member
G

upstate ny
Lannis
The underemployed probably don't frequent expensive restaurants or own a boat or book getaway weekends in hotels so you would never have encountered them. I don't think it's a brand new phenomenon it's been going on for quite a whle . Just being exacerbated by current conditions . When I read in the paper that this company laid off 15,000 or that one laid off 6,000 etc etc it's hard to believe that things are not worse than you would like to believe .

57 Woodsman
64 Interceptor
58 Trailblazer
59 Constellation
64 500 Sport twin
61 Hornet

2001 W650
1966 W1
Re: Time for a Prediction Check-up [Re: George Elston] #254856
05/21/09 4:08 pm
05/21/09 4:08 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Offline OP

Life member
Lannis  Offline OP

Life member

Central Virginia
Lannis
When I read in the paper that this company ..... it's hard to believe that things are not worse than you would like to believe .

George -

Exactly my point. "If you read in the paper" ... "If you listen to the news ..."

I'm not exactly "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" myself. I drive by a Wal-Mart every day, I eat in the "Country Kitchen", I lived in a trailer myself for 7 years. I keep my eyes open.

I just wish other people would, and not feed on the media-generated fear. They DO have an agenda to sell papers and air-time and keep people excited and watching ...

Lannis

Re: Time for a Prediction Check-up [Re: Lannis] #254858
05/21/09 4:13 pm
05/21/09 4:13 pm
British Columbia
hh Offline
BritBike Forum member
hh  Offline
BritBike Forum member

British Columbia
Originally Posted By: rick e.
screw'd ... try'd ... pick'd ... pay'd

rick e.: having an interest in language and its popular usage, I'm interested in how it is you came to use the eighteenth century English past tense variants as quoted above?

Re: Time for a Prediction Check-up [Re: George Elston] #254873
05/21/09 6:00 pm
05/21/09 6:00 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Offline OP

Life member
Lannis  Offline OP

Life member

Central Virginia
Lannis
When I read in the paper that this company laid off 15,000 or that one laid off 6,000 etc etc it's hard to believe that things are not worse than you would like to believe .

George -

Just to make you feel better, these items, totalling many thousands of jobs and pulled of the stack of dozens of similar ones, will NOT show up in your paper, or on the news.

http://www.prlog.org/10221781-carlsbad-d...ring-plant.html

http://www.wkrn.com/Global/story.asp?S=10034672

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2009/05/volkswagen-to-hold-groundbreaking.html

http://nuclearstreet.com/blogs/nuclear_p...r-business.aspx

www.cityofvalley.com/uploads/RF/ny/RFnyunnnVdB8i40owl-aww/KIA-Groundbreaking-Announcement.pdf

Lots more where that came from. When you're in the business of supporting and building plants and supplying energy to them, you find out these things ...

Lannis

Re: Time for a Prediction Check-up [Re: Lannis] #254876
05/21/09 6:27 pm
05/21/09 6:27 pm
Elko, Nevada USA
dave - NV Offline

BritBike Forum member
dave - NV  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Elko, Nevada USA
Here's some Required reading for those of you who are a bit curious of what went on and what's going on around us, and some things this country could do to correct many bad situations.
The author takes no sides I can detect, but brings out many things about the world and our country I was not aware of. Check your local library or the book sellers.

The 2% Solution

"Fixing America's Problems in Ways Liberals and Conservatives Can Love"

by Matthew Miller

Dave - NV
Re: Time for a Prediction Check-up [Re: dave - NV] #254879
05/21/09 7:03 pm
05/21/09 7:03 pm
upstate ny
G
George Elston Offline
BritBike Forum member
George Elston  Offline
BritBike Forum member
G

upstate ny
Lannis
I never denied that there was growth I was merely pointing out that nearly every day there is a large layoff announced in the papers . I doubt that all these are fabrications .
And if you had the inside scoop on some of these I would bet there is a lot of taxpayer money spent to lure these businesses in . 258 million to KIA alone . I've done a little looking into this stuff and lots and lots of these semi public handouts never generate the $$$ that they project nor do they often meet their job projections . Now that may just be up here in the rust belt
but I suspect that it's pretty prevalent everywhere . The company takes the handouts and the reduced or non existent taxes and when the time comes for them to pay up they just hightail it to the next community that's desparate for any industry no matter what the cost . Hey I've got a baby food plant going up in my little town . 14 years no taxes . Not a bad deal . And it's not even US owned .
Sorry way off topic but one of my pet peeves in case you hadn't guessed .

57 Woodsman
64 Interceptor
58 Trailblazer
59 Constellation
64 500 Sport twin
61 Hornet

2001 W650
1966 W1
Re: Time for a Prediction Check-up [Re: George Elston] #254891
05/21/09 8:56 pm
05/21/09 8:56 pm
South East England
G
Graham Ham Offline
Private sponsor
Graham Ham  Offline
Private sponsor
G

South East England
Well, I've trawled through all this, and I reckon I should add MY tuppence worth.

The Sun came up today.
I was still breathing.
I have mo'sickles in the garage.
I have some cash in my pocket.
Not ALL of the pubs in England have closed down, so there's Ale out there.
The English country-side is in full bloom. The hedges are high, the meadows are vibrant.
I have mo'sickles in the garage.

'Nuff said.

You lot can argue the toss about wether we're all doomed. *I* am gonna ride me bike, go camping, do some rallies, drink some Ale...

It'll ALL be the same when I come back ?

So best I go do it all again ?

bigt

Last edited by Graham Ham; 05/21/09 8:58 pm.

Good judgment comes from experience, but the most memorable experiences tend to come from bad judgment!

http://www.panther-publishing.co.uk/default.asp?contentID=18

Re: Time for a Prediction Check-up [Re: Graham Ham] #254900
05/21/09 10:06 pm
05/21/09 10:06 pm
Elko, Nevada USA
dave - NV Offline

BritBike Forum member
dave - NV  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Elko, Nevada USA
Graham ... Thanks for giving us a smile. Luckily I too woke up this morning. Thats always kinda handy. I like that.

Dave - NV
Re: Time for a Prediction Check-up [Re: dave - NV] #254930
05/22/09 2:09 am
05/22/09 2:09 am
Pennsyltuckey
ricochetrider Offline

Moto Mojo
ricochetrider  Offline

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
yes graham, i am with you...bro.
no matter what, no matter how *bad* it gets...

we, in this country (USA, i'm being particular about it here) of all places have it so much better than so many other folks in this great big world. hardship MAY be relative, indeed.

lannis, i get your point...
oil:
no body has *control* over these huge companies, the price fluctuates according to market demand AND speculation over FUTURE market demands... smoke and mirrors boys, pure and simple.
last year, when gas prices were at all-time highs, the fact is the oil companies came out reporting RECORD profits... AMAZING coincidence? i think not.

the economy:
some people are out of work,
some are on unemployment.
some are looking for work,
some have taken pay cuts.
some MIGHT get another job,
some have no HOPE IN HELL of getting another job.
for everyone else, it's business as usual.
the U-3 rating
the U-6 rating
smoke and mirrors.

the economy is STILL running on heavy, massive personal DEBT.
when you see these people out therre in their huge motor homes, towing their speed boats, bro, can you really not see that they must be in, what for us would be, UNIMAGINABLE debt?
think that shit is PAID for? i seriously doubt it, in 99.999% of all cases...

one thing's for SURE-
NOTHING is certain today, not like it was even 35 years ago, CERTAINLY not like it was in 1958. things have changed drastically. for the GOOD? well, who knows.

even the president is pretty much a figurehead, the REAL power lies elsewhere.

having said all that, i STILL say i am one of the luckiest sumbeetches alive on this earth! i think we can all agree that we're pretty much in the same boat.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 05/22/09 2:11 am.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership