BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
HughdeMann
HughdeMann
Beautiful North Carolina
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
204 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,695 guests, and 531 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 186
koan58 99
Stuart 89
NickL 62
Popular Topics(Views)
436,135 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,263
Posts632,008
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#251878 - 05/05/09 12:07 am A65 Speedo help  
JD Offline
Moto-Amish
JD  Offline

Moto-Amish

Maryland
So after an almost two year hiatus from my bike in which time I was forced to finish grad school, I started working on the little things that annoy the bejeezes out of me. Number one on my list right now is the speedometer. The speedometer needle wobbles by about 20 mph. I figure I can take an average, but I'm not too sure it will fly as an excuse for the cops that sit at the speed changes.

I've read lots of posts on the subject, including searching Google for how to take the thing apart. This, however, is a last resort. I understand the need to carefully measure the cable length to ensure that it does not hit the needle, and that this is the number one problem with unsteady speedometers. I even purchased a new cable a few weeks ago (btw the speedo only has slightly over 300 miles on it). I also have a length of cable that snapped a few years ago that I can use to test the speedometer. I slapped the new cable on after measuring the lengths, ran a drill at the drive end; it was still wobbly. I unscrewed the new cable, took my handy test cable, put it in the drill and ran the speedometer directly from the drill without any outer cable.

Here's my problem: it wobbles when I use the drill with the unsheathed cable (I don't recall this being an issue two years ago). However, if I pull the cable slightly to one side, I get a nice steady 30 and 40 mph depending on the speed of the drill. When I take the cable back to center, it wobbles again. Any thoughts?

Josh
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#252118 - 05/06/09 2:33 am Re: A65 Speedo help [Re: JD]  
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Carteret, NC
JD,
I have had no luck wiith these speedos. I sent two of them out to a supposedly reputable repair service. They worked briefly and than started wavering. One only goes up to about 53mph and then quits. I have fiddled with cables, drills and geaboxes without luck...so i just live with the fact that they don't work well.

I see you are from Little Washington. I go to Greenville frequently from here in Cape Carteret. Have you lived there long. I am looking into a little digital bicycle speedo that I may adapt. I am told they are accurate.

Mr Mike

#252126 - 05/06/09 3:04 am Re: A65 Speedo help [Re: Mr Mike]  
leon bee Offline
BritBike Forum member
leon bee  Offline
BritBike Forum member

arkansas
Man, same here. I used to dream about having good speedos on all my bikes. Mostly I like to know how many miles they are racking up. Well................, that and I've now gotten 3 warning tickets/ass chewings from the county mounties.

Then I got on to the bicycle speedometers. They work so well I haven't been thinking so much about the correct instruments.

#252131 - 05/06/09 3:39 am Re: A65 Speedo help [Re: leon bee]  
JD Offline
Moto-Amish
JD  Offline

Moto-Amish

Maryland
Thank you both for the replies. It's good to know before I shell out $130 to get mine repaired. IME, the bicycle speedometers I have on all my bicycles are very accurate.

Josh
#252132 - 05/06/09 3:53 am Re: A65 Speedo help [Re: JD]  
leon bee Offline
BritBike Forum member
leon bee  Offline
BritBike Forum member

arkansas
Those Asian reproduction ones really look nice. I've seen them around for as little as $65, and last time I saw any discussion of them reports were still favorable. Bad news is the don't quite fit in the BSA cups.

#252160 - 05/06/09 10:29 am Re: A65 Speedo help [Re: leon bee]  
Whisper Offline
BritBike Forum member
Whisper  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Town, South Africa
JD

If the speedo wobbles with the cable in the centre and is OK when you force the cable to the side you probably have a worn bush, either on the rotor which holds the magnet or the bush that holds the aluminium disk/needle. Probably the latter.

Don't be afraid to take the thing apart, there is not much inside!

The most annoying part is to take the rim off.
The needle is just a press-fit, lever this off very carefully!
There is a white dot on the faceplate where the needle should rest when it goes past the stop-pin.
The stop-pin is spring-loaded and disappears into the face-plate.
Make sure that you put the needle back in this exact position when re-fitting.
The face is held on by expanding nylon rivets. Push the little centre-pin out of the rivet and it should come of easily. Under the face-plate sits a plate that holds the aluminium disc. This plate is also held on by expanding rivets like the face. The disc is pulled forward by the magnets and held back by a spiral-spring and this gives you the reading.
Be very careful not to damage the spring.

Have a new bush turned by a decent toolmaker and the instrument should be like new.

There is really not much to these instruments, just a bit fiddly to work on!

Mr. Mike if they worked briefly and then started wavering again the repairers probably just filled the play up with grease!

Good Luck

Jack

#252171 - 05/06/09 11:57 am Re: A65 Speedo help [Re: Whisper]  
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Carteret, NC
I am just tired of messing with the things. Maybe some winter day I'll take one apart and see if I can do anything with it. My 71 B50 which has a differnt style speedometer has not given me any trouble but all the earlier ones have all been trouble. The odometer does however work and I use that to remind me to refuel. About 100 miles on the A65 is the limit before I go into reserve.

Leon, how do you mount your magnet and pickup for a bike speedo/odometer. I am helping out at a bike shop and they have a number of speedos on the accessory rack. I will look at them today.

Mr Mike

#252188 - 05/06/09 1:18 pm Re: A65 Speedo help [Re: Mr Mike]  
raf940 Offline
BritBike Forum member
raf940  Offline
BritBike Forum member

gastonia nc
I'm with Win.I put one of the repops on my A65 abd it's smooth as silk...when the clocks die on my T120 that;s what they will get too...about $65 each

1972 Triumph T120
1968 BSA A65
1968 MGB Roadster
1979 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta
1969 Honda Mini Trail
1939 farmall f30 tractor
2004 Honda Shadow Aero
1972 BSA Thunderbolt
1975 yamaha xs650b
1972 Norton commando project
#252198 - 05/06/09 2:13 pm Re: A65 Speedo help [Re: raf940]  
leon bee Offline
BritBike Forum member
leon bee  Offline
BritBike Forum member

arkansas
The one I been buying, the magnet fits the spoke good and stays put. I'll get a pic.

#252204 - 05/06/09 2:28 pm Re: A65 Speedo help [Re: leon bee]  
leon bee Offline
BritBike Forum member
leon bee  Offline
BritBike Forum member

arkansas
Alan: Did you come up with a nice mounting method for that gauge on the Beezer, or mount it like Triumph or what? There were some pics a while back from somebody who used some plumbing supply stuff and it looked pretty good.

#252287 - 05/06/09 10:03 pm Re: A65 Speedo help [Re: leon bee]  
Ignoramus Online content
BritBike Forum member
Ignoramus  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Auckland NZ
Those magnetic smiths speedos are just junk imo. Having said that as "Wisper" says above they arnt toooo bad to get appart. I have had a bit of luck getting a few of them going a bit better by cleaning out the crap between the magnet and alloy dics CAREFULLY with some very fine 1000 grit wet and dry paper then washing themn off with iso hexane and compressed air. Just be care full not to get the iso hexane on the odometer numbers or plastic bits.

Some one on here a while ago had a great idea about just taping the bezzil back on with electrical tape ....you can guarentteee you will need to open it again.

I have opened and re-crimped one bezzil 4 times so they can definatley be reused if your too mean to buy a new one like me!

Good luck

"There's the way it ought to be and there's the way it is" (Sgt Barnes)
#252290 - 05/06/09 10:10 pm Re: A65 Speedo help [Re: Ignoramus]  
raf940 Offline
BritBike Forum member
raf940  Offline
BritBike Forum member

gastonia nc
Win.......I used the stock cup but had to do some mods to the mounting screws.....i'll have to go look 'cause i don't recall exactly how I did it!

OK.after a trip to the man-cave. I mounted the speedo to the inside of the cup using the screws and nuts...I had to Dremel-cut a couple of slots to get it to fit...then i bolted the cup with the attached speedo to the mount..once you see how the pieces are made it will be clear...i reckon...........

Last edited by raf940; 05/06/09 11:21 pm.

1972 Triumph T120
1968 BSA A65
1968 MGB Roadster
1979 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta
1969 Honda Mini Trail
1939 farmall f30 tractor
2004 Honda Shadow Aero
1972 BSA Thunderbolt
1975 yamaha xs650b
1972 Norton commando project
#252299 - 05/07/09 12:19 am Re: A65 Speedo help [Re: raf940]  
leon bee Offline
BritBike Forum member
leon bee  Offline
BritBike Forum member

arkansas
Here is how I've mounted 3 of these bicycle sensors. Works real well

#252304 - 05/07/09 12:32 am Re: A65 Speedo help [Re: leon bee]  
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Carteret, NC
Leon, pardon me if I don't use your name. I will forget it over time but Leon will always be posted. I like the looks of your bracket. They also sell wireless, but iam inclined to go with the wire. Can you program in your circumference? How many other functions does it have. What is the brand name?

Raf, same goes for you on name. Where did You purchase speedo and did you have to change gearboxes or anytthing to get it reasonably accurate.

Mr Mike

#252309 - 05/07/09 12:41 am Re: A65 Speedo help [Re: Mr Mike]  
Ignoramus Online content
BritBike Forum member
Ignoramus  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Auckland NZ
http://members.shaw.ca/randell/Smith/Speedo.html

gives a few usefull tips but is by no means comprehensive FWIW

"There's the way it ought to be and there's the way it is" (Sgt Barnes)
#252317 - 05/07/09 1:18 am Re: A65 Speedo help [Re: Ignoramus]  
JD Offline
Moto-Amish
JD  Offline

Moto-Amish

Maryland
Ignoramus, I've seen and printed that website out the other day.

Mike, I know you can program in the circumference of your tire into the the little computer. They are really easy to install (at least on a bicycle) and have some pretty easy to use instructions. You might even get away with just zip-tying the sensor to the fork legs. The sensor must be within a certain distance of the magnet. I really like Leon's setup though.

Josh
#252336 - 05/07/09 4:02 am Re: A65 Speedo help [Re: JD]  
leon bee Offline
BritBike Forum member
leon bee  Offline
BritBike Forum member

arkansas
I'm glad JD doesn't mind bicycle instrument discussion on his speedo thread. Glad to see you back JD, I remember you from before.

Mike: Here's most of what I know about these. A couple years ago several posters here had had good luck with some model of Sigma bicycle speedo. When I looked around the net I couldn't find that one and bought my first of these. It is a Cateye Enduro 8 bicycle computer. It attracted me cause their BS said this was the mountain bike model, with a heavier wire. First one seemed a little expensive, then I found them for about $14 and got a few more. They work perfectly............but then I found a serious, crippling flaw- they only read up to 72 mph! This is somewhat acceptable for me, however, because there are only two places within my usual orbit where I can ever get above 72: the top of Beaver Dam where the speedlimit is 35, or the big new highway bridge which is a banked curve usually clogged with tourists.

You do set the wheel circumference and choose amongst a bunch of functions. This is always a hairpulling exercise for me, but once you get it set it seems to stick. Outside all day in the hot sun seems to scramble its brain, but it always recovers.

#252354 - 05/07/09 9:07 am Re: A65 Speedo help [Re: leon bee]  
Whisper Offline
BritBike Forum member
Whisper  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Town, South Africa
I used to buy rims at a Smith shop in Johannesburg which has closed down subsequently.

The rims had 8 5 mm tabs spaced around the rim.
I was under the impression that they came like that from the factory!

The actual rim fitted around the rim on the cup and the tabs went under the rim.

There was no need to crimp the rim itself on and rthey couldn't be used for quite a time until the tabs broke.

#252549 - 05/08/09 7:07 am Re: A65 Speedo help [Re: raf940]  
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
DavidP  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Gnashville
Originally Posted By: raf940
I'm with Win.I put one of the repops on my A65 abd it's smooth as silk...when the clocks die on my T120 that;s what they will get too...about $65 each

Great!
However, my speedometer works just fine. It's the tach that acts goofy. None of these places offer 3:1 tachometers.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
#252551 - 05/08/09 7:33 am Re: A65 Speedo help [Re: Whisper]  
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
DavidP  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Gnashville
Originally Posted By: Whisper
JD

Have a new bush turned by a decent toolmaker and the instrument should be like new.

So, I take it that the parts are no longer available?
So, how do the "repair" places service anything?
I have a tach which howls like a banshee and jumps all over the place. Exactly what will a "repair" shop do for $200?

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
#253698 - 05/14/09 8:37 am Re: A65 Speedo help [Re: DavidP]  
Whisper Offline
BritBike Forum member
Whisper  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Town, South Africa
DavidP

There is a company in Swansea, Caerbont Automotive Instruments, www.caigauge.com that apparently bought the Smith rights, tooling etc, and manufactures Smith Instruments, Spares etc. to original specifications.

The reason I had a bush turned locally is that it is quicker, probably cheaper and saves on postage.

I bought bevels from their South African agent, the ones with the 6 tabs (I mentioned 8 tabs in an earlier mail, memory is not what it used to be).

Unfortunately I cannot attach pictures from my PC.
Will try to mail you a picture vis E-mail.

Jack

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.189s Queries: 15 (0.042s) Memory: 0.9540 MB (Peak: 1.2626 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-20 05:39:10 UTC