BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Jwood & co JRC Engineering dealers Jwood & co
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
maylar
maylar
Connecticut
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
34 registered members (Andy Higham), 226 guests, and 447 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
hondapete1950, Gaspare, eberhard, Norman Woollons, LandoLando
10257 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 77
Lannis 60
TBolt72 46
Popular Topics(Views)
609,133 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,118
Posts651,344
Members10,257
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A65 wont start #253460
05/13/09 4:51 am
05/13/09 4:51 am
hamden, ct.
hacksaw Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
hacksaw  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
hamden, ct.
12volt coils Boyer system.
single carb 1965 rocker motor

this motor is wicked hard to start. it kicks back hard against the bottom of my foot! man it aches still!!

it did start and run really nice for 3 minutes or so. it stalled, and i couldnt atart it again.

i am charging the battery an will try new plugs. oter wisw i fear the worst.

Support your #1 BSA Forum and our favorite sponsors

Check out BSA on e-bay: BSA Parts in UK, BSA Motorcycles in UK, BSA Parts in North America, BSA Motorcycles in North America

Re: A65 wont start [Re: hacksaw] #253494
05/13/09 1:46 pm
05/13/09 1:46 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Offline

Life member
Lannis  Offline

Life member
Central Virginia
If we rolled the bike into my shop, here's what I'd do:

1) Up on the stand, pull the plugs, screw compression tester into left plug hole, open throttle wide, kick three or four times. Unscrew, screw into right side, open throttle wide, kick three or four times. If readings are over 120 PSI and within 20 PSI of each other, I'd go on to the ignition. If readings are lower, don't keep kicking. 20 minutes down.

2) Ignition. Static-time the Boyer. Plugs are still out, so rotate the engine to 34 degrees before top dead center. Don't know how you do it on your bike, what mods have been made. Is there a mark on the alternator rotor? Is there a notch in the front of the flywheel? Do you measure the piston position down the spark plug hole? With the engine locked at 34 deg BTDC, line the white spots on the Boyer trigger plate up with the holes; that's close enough to start. 30 minutes down, 50 total.

Load test the battery. Just checking the voltage unloaded won't do it. Turn on the key and check battery voltage. If it's not 12.5 volts, charge it and try again. If it still won't feed 12.5 volts to the Boyer under load, trash it and get another one. 10 minutes down, 60 total.

With good battery voltage on, take one of the Boyer trigger wires loose and tap it against the engine case (spark plugs are still out and grounded to the head). You should get a spark snapping across the plugs each time you tap. 15 minutes down, 75 total.

3) If all this checks out, tickle the carb so you KNOW there's gas in the manifold and kick. You should get at least a few turns of the engine firing just on that priming fuel. If it's STILL kicking back on you, you probably have a duff Boyer. If it turns a couple times and dies, you probably have a blocked pilot jet in the carb.

So in a couple hours, you should have a lot more info about what's going on with the bike ....

Good luck!

Lannis

I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is really going to be upset.
Re: A65 wont start [Re: Lannis] #253629
05/14/09 12:54 am
05/14/09 12:54 am
Sydney Australia
B
BSA_WM20 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Offline
BritBike Forum member
B
Sydney Australia
Lannis has the whole hog.
If the bike stalled hard I would have suspected that the timing rotor has slipped a bit.
So verify the timing, sounds like it is way too far advanced.

Bike Beesa
Trevor

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership