BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Lancs Tiger
Lancs Tiger
Wigan, Lancs, England
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
213 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,705 guests, and 565 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews
9958 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 191
koan58 100
Stuart 84
NickL 72
Popular Topics(Views)
438,248 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,286
Posts632,373
Members9,958
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#247954 - 04/12/09 6:35 pm Luggage for my bike soft/hard?  
Blapper Offline
BritBike Forum member
Blapper  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Kent UK
Thinking ahead to using the bike, I need some luggage. I thought I could get by with just a big rucksack (?) but now wonder whether to go for some soft stuff like the Tech 7 panniers/top bag set or whether to go for a hard set.

Soft stuff is good because nothing gets drilled/bent, hard is good because it doesn't flap about and damage shockers etc. - for that reason nothing goes on the tank.

Bike is a T140 with the 'round' grabrail (not rack).

What do you chaps and chapesses use?

Blapper redwine

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#247966 - 04/12/09 7:25 pm Re: Luggage for my bike soft/hard? [Re: Blapper]  
Kev. Online sick
BritBike Forum member
Kev.  Online Sick
BritBike Forum member

Royal Berkshire.
I use a set of leather throw overs, I like throwover soft luggage as you can take it with you if needed. here is a picture of my old A10 with my leather bags on. You will notice, no rack fitted either.

http://kevindean.zenfolio.com/

http://backstreetthunder.wordpress.com/

1950 Vincent Comet
1952 Norton Special
1963 BSA Super Rocket
1970 BSA A65 Lightning
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado x2
2009 Triumph Bonneville (now sold)

#247968 - 04/12/09 7:29 pm Re: Luggage for my bike soft/hard? [Re: Kev.]  
Blapper Offline
BritBike Forum member
Blapper  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Kent UK
How do you find the leather throwers in terms of marking the paint Kev? I'm a right tart about that sort of thing wink

Here is what I'm thinking of (Tech7):

Blapper redwine

#247971 - 04/12/09 7:51 pm Re: Luggage for my bike soft/hard? [Re: Blapper]  
Ger B Offline
BritBike Forum member
Ger B  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NL
Would sir not like something more... conservative... (mr Lucas)

The throw over and the tank top bag give a better weight distribution and a bit of pressure on the front tire which helps braking with the extra weight (I think).

Ger B

#247972 - 04/12/09 8:02 pm Re: Luggage for my bike soft/hard? [Re: Ger B]  
Blapper Offline
BritBike Forum member
Blapper  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Kent UK
Hi Ger,

I will not have anything on the tank (don't want paint damage). Do you get marking of your paint by your rear bags? That is why I like the ones in the pic above, they look high enough not to mark any paint - although they will be smaller as a result.

Blapper redwine

#247985 - 04/12/09 9:27 pm Re: Luggage for my bike soft/hard? [Re: Blapper]  
johnnyrvf Offline
BritBike Forum member
johnnyrvf  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Dordogne, SW France
Hey Blapper, soft is my choice, but with the Triumph I wrap old inner tubes around the shock springs to protect the paint on them, plus I lay a cloth on the saddle to make sure the seat cover does'nt get marked, however in your case I'd recommend you put the bike in a van and and use that as the panniers :-) Johnny.

What d'ya mean it won't rev to 10?
1965 BSA A65D Lightning Rocket
1976 K*w*s*ki Z900.
1978 Triumph Bonn3ville (930 T160 Powered T140)
1988 H*nd* RC30
1990 Moto Guzzi California 3
1993 Y*m*h* TDM 850
#248010 - 04/13/09 12:46 am Re: Luggage for my bike soft/hard? [Re: johnnyrvf]  
JubeePrince Online content
Life member
JubeePrince  Online Content

Life member

Back on the mainland!
Originally Posted By: johnnyrvf
.... however in your case I'd recommend you put the bike in a van and and use that as the panniers :-) Johnny.

Now that's funny!!! clap

Only five posts in...I would have expected it sooner!

I am going to put Craven rack and panniers on mine, I'm hoping if I mount it up right, I won't have any finish issues....

Cheers,

Steve

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
#248033 - 04/13/09 6:19 am Re: Luggage for my bike soft/hard? [Re: JubeePrince]  
Janet Offline
BritBike Forum member
Janet  Offline
BritBike Forum member

UK
If you are as worried as you seem about damaging the finish of your bike you'd be better off without any luggage at all. The small modern sporty side panniers you show will still dangle on your non-modern bike because the pillion seat they fix to isn't way up in the air. THe more you put in them, the further they sag. If you only go out once or twice you might get away with it by covering every part of your bike that they touch with a very soft, clean ( no road muck allowed ) cloth, but if you intend using it regularly it will mark after a while. Even tying a bag down to the seat will squash it at the places the straps fit and this will eventually become permanent. Side panniers are more stable for carrying stuff as they keep the entre of gravity down, but how much that is a problem depends on your riding style.

You may also wish to consider some protection over the tank and side panels as I've found they tend to suffer worse damage as they get rubbed by the rider's legs ( which go on every trip ).

The above information was derived from the results of trials of sports type soft luggage on a T120R.

#248036 - 04/13/09 6:42 am Re: Luggage for my bike soft/hard? [Re: Janet]  
Blapper Offline
BritBike Forum member
Blapper  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Kent UK
Quote:
Now that's funny!!!

Only five posts in...I would have expected it sooner!

Yeah, me too. I was kind of flinching while I posted because I knew what would happen. Harsh but fair!

Johnny - very good idea about the inner tubes. I knew you would have one one day wink

Janet, thanks for your input which I agree completely with. I am thinking that a small set like in the pic with a large rucksack is the way to go. Trouble is, there are no shops here like there are in blighty where you can go and see a selection, take a set and put them on the bike to see how they fit.

Tell me - those throw overs in my pic - do they need sitting on, or have they got some kind of grippy underside? I lost a bit of soft luggage off the back once, and don't want to repeat that!

All the BM's I owned had panniers - now there is a bike that is sorted for touring.

Blapper redwine

#248039 - 04/13/09 8:03 am Re: Luggage for my bike soft/hard? [Re: Blapper]  
Janet Offline
BritBike Forum member
Janet  Offline
BritBike Forum member

UK
Originally Posted By: Blapper
Trouble is, there are no shops here like there are in blighty where you can go and see a selection, take a set and put them on the bike to see how they fit.
We are a little spoilt for choice here. Reminds me of when I bought a new set of leathers. The faces of the people riding past in the bus were funny as they watched two shop workers standing on the footpath watching me doing contortions on my bike, to make sure I'd be able to ride in them. No point selling me them if they didn't fit right.

Tell me - those throw overs in my pic - do they need sitting on, or have they got some kind of grippy underside? I lost a bit of soft luggage off the back once, and don't want to repeat that!
Generally they have two fabric straps over the top of the seat and one which goes underneath. This can be awkward if your seat doesn't come off easily and you regularly want to take the bag on and off. A hinged seat isn't so bad, though. If they've got some weight in and are reasonably well balanced they will stay in place without the strap underneath through friction and inertia, but I wouldn't recommend it for high speeds.

Most top bags come with a strap for under the seat and bungees that fit in loops on the bag and to anywhere you want, to hold it down. Several modern bikes have little fold out hooks fastened to underneath the seat for this as they don't generally have frame, rails, racks to fasten anything round.

Last edited by Janet; 04/13/09 8:06 am.
#248040 - 04/13/09 8:10 am Re: Luggage for my bike soft/hard? [Re: Janet]  
Ger B Offline
BritBike Forum member
Ger B  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NL
Quote:
I will not have anything on the tank (don't want paint damage). Do you get marking of your paint by your rear bags?

No: no scratches underneath the throw overs, as the spring of the rear shock absorbers keep the from touching to much I think. Also on the tank there is no visible scratching. The last time I rode with luggage it was the tank bag only and I repeat: it gives more stability than the throw over only.

Ger B

#248059 - 04/13/09 1:14 pm Re: Luggage for my bike soft/hard? [Re: Blapper]  
Rich B Online happy
Rich B  Online Happy

Stone Creek OH USA
If you are worried about using your bike and getting bits & pieces scratched, nicked, etc, now is the time to drain the fluids and park it in the living room for the duration. eek.

Spotless and used are mutually exlusive. But they do make new paint every day grin.

The brands I use are probably not available on your side of the pond. I have a set of Tourmaster (Cortech) sport bags for normal use. They have stiffeners and are nice for being out and about for a day. Throw over the seat and have straps to retain the bags against the bike. They work for about 75% of my use. I also have a couple of tail bags that sit nicely on the seat. I have a Tourmaster TB17 & a large Nelson Rigg bag. Again, depends on how I am using the bike which one I use. The Tourmaster is nice for carrying lunch & other odds & ends when commuting.

I have a big set of bags from Moto Pak I got off fleaBay cheap. They are nice, but a little flimsy. They also are throw over bags, but could stand some supports. They work great for using the BSA as a little truck. It is amazing how much I can stuff in them. Used them at IoM last year and stuffed a weeks worth of clothes in them.

Life is too short to drink cheap, bad beer.
#248067 - 04/13/09 2:27 pm Re: Luggage for my bike soft/hard? [Re: Rich B]  
Blapper Offline
BritBike Forum member
Blapper  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Kent UK
Quote:
If you are worried about using your bike and getting bits & pieces scratched, nicked, etc, now is the time to drain the fluids and park it in the living room for the duration. .

Spotless and used are mutually exlusive. But they do make new paint every day .

Well Rich, I have had six brand new bikes, three secondhand and two built or rebuilt before this one and all were used (some for tens of thousands of miles) without marking the paintwork. To me normal use and avoidable damage are easy to separate. I find that if you try not to damage paint from the beginning it isn't hard to succeed, whereas if you don't try, I find it is very easy to do damage.

You certainly have a lot of luggage to choose from there, do you allow any of it to rest on the rear mudguard? I guess I am wondering how strong the T140 rear mudguard is? I have a painted rack I could use for a hard top box but I don't know how much weight the guard will take?

Blapper redwine

PS Nice avatar Ger!

Last edited by Blapper; 04/13/09 2:30 pm. Reason: PS
#248103 - 04/13/09 6:04 pm Re: Luggage for my bike soft/hard? [Re: Rich B]  
Janet Offline
BritBike Forum member
Janet  Offline
BritBike Forum member

UK
Originally Posted By: Rich B
Used them at IoM last year and stuffed a weeks worth of clothes in them.
Oh, come on now! You could stuff two pairs of knickers and a T-shirt in your pocket.

#248106 - 04/13/09 6:17 pm Re: Luggage for my bike soft/hard? [Re: Janet]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Janet -

Young lady, you there wi' your size 2 silk smalls, you don't understand. That IS all he had. Two pairs of Rich's grundies and a Tshirt fill a MotoPak bag all by themselves ....

Lannis (ask me how I know!)

OK, I admit it, I'm addicted to brake fluid.

But I can stop any time I want.
#248108 - 04/13/09 6:26 pm Re: Luggage for my bike soft/hard? [Re: Lannis]  
Graham Ham Offline
Private sponsor
Graham Ham  Offline
Private sponsor

South East England
Oi Blap ...

Now then, you is selling yourself way short here Lad. Why ? Well, you have yourself a totally marvleus motorcycle there. And what it's now *screaming* at ya, is 'Use me, ride me, thrash me .... make my day, make me *DIRTY*' laugh

So, get out in them French lanes, and get yerself some patina started. Come and join us at a few rallies - how about the John Bull in Belgium at the end of this month for starters - A few months of road dirt, grit, and rally mud on that ol' iron, and you'll stop worrying about pannier scuffs, - instead, you'll have a big stupid grin plastered on yer fizzer ?

Trust me on this ... bigt

Good judgment comes from experience, but the most memorable experiences tend to come from bad judgment!

http://www.panther-publishing.co.uk/default.asp?contentID=18

#248111 - 04/13/09 6:42 pm Re: Luggage for my bike soft/hard? [Re: Janet]  
baza57 Offline
BritBike Forum member
baza57  Offline
BritBike Forum member

earth
what a bunch of horse s--t,if you dont whant to scratch the finish on your bike,just dont ride it!

#248116 - 04/13/09 6:51 pm Re: Luggage for my bike soft/hard? [Re: baza57]  
Ger B Offline
BritBike Forum member
Ger B  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NL
Quote:
PS Nice avatar Ger!

Thanks. She came by looking for easter eggs but did not find them there.

Ger B

#248119 - 04/13/09 6:58 pm Re: Luggage for my bike soft/hard? [Re: Blapper]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
How do you find the leather throwers in terms of marking the paint Kev? I'm a right tart about that sort of thing wink

Blapper redwine

Blapper - From the moment you said the line in bold above, you were a dead man walking. No modifiers, explanations, quid-pro-quos, or anything can help you now. There's too many on here with once-lovely bikes that now have the tanks and panels chipped, scratched, scored, and rusted from the slings and darts of outrageous bimbling, that have NO sympathy for what LOOKS like a trailer queen even it its not wink.

Stand to it, boy. It'll be over soon, and you'll probably have some advice in there you can use, too.

Lannis

Last edited by Lannis; 04/13/09 7:00 pm.

OK, I admit it, I'm addicted to brake fluid.

But I can stop any time I want.
#248126 - 04/13/09 7:35 pm Re: Luggage for my bike soft/hard? [Re: Lannis]  
Bob S Offline
BritBike Forum member
Bob S  Offline
BritBike Forum member

, Lower -Lower michigan
AAAAAAHHHH....the devil with all of them,Iknow exactly what its like when you put blood sweat and tears in to your project. Guys who don't do this, can't give you any static and get away with it.IT ain't right.
My kars have been the same way, you will ease out gradually a few times, then you will go a little faster, then before you know it, you'er haulen the mail and its then to late to go back.
NEVER take it out till YOU ARE READY !!!!AND NOONE ELSE. beerchug

Bob S
Street Rods, Kustom Kars,A BSA,Cushmans,H.Shadow ACE, Now a 2004 triumph america . "More than enough!!!!
#248127 - 04/13/09 7:37 pm Re: Luggage for my bike soft/hard? [Re: Bob S]  
Bob S Offline
BritBike Forum member
Bob S  Offline
BritBike Forum member

, Lower -Lower michigan
I'm going thru that "scratching the fender thing " right now with my shadow i want throw overs, cause they look the best to me. And i am not going to tear up the paint . So i keep looking and thinking about all the different bags there are.

Bob S
Street Rods, Kustom Kars,A BSA,Cushmans,H.Shadow ACE, Now a 2004 triumph america . "More than enough!!!!
#248132 - 04/13/09 8:13 pm Re: Luggage for my bike soft/hard? [Re: Bob S]  
johnnyrvf Offline
BritBike Forum member
johnnyrvf  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Dordogne, SW France
Hey Blapper, Bill Crosby ,proprieter of Reg Allens once told me that it's the rear sub-frame of the bike that is the weakest point, apparently when Meriden started fitting those small chromed racks to the OIF twins the maximum recommended payload was 15lbs (7kgs) so I reckon looking for some supported throw overs will be your best bet....OR .... get an everyday bike that is mechanically good but cosmetically a bit rough so a few more marks won't matter......Johnny

What d'ya mean it won't rev to 10?
1965 BSA A65D Lightning Rocket
1976 K*w*s*ki Z900.
1978 Triumph Bonn3ville (930 T160 Powered T140)
1988 H*nd* RC30
1990 Moto Guzzi California 3
1993 Y*m*h* TDM 850
#248133 - 04/13/09 8:18 pm Re: Luggage for my bike soft/hard? [Re: johnnyrvf]  
Blapper Offline
BritBike Forum member
Blapper  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Kent UK
Hi Johnny,

15lbs - yikes. That's not much is it. Supported throw overs? What are they?

As to a second bike - she'd kill me after what I've spent on this sucker...

Blapper redwine

#248136 - 04/13/09 8:22 pm Re: Luggage for my bike soft/hard? [Re: Blapper]  
Ron T. in KY Offline
Ron T. in KY  Offline

Northern KY
Here we go... The only appropriate comment is:

Stupid should hurt!

If you don't like change, you're going to hate extinction...
75' Commando
71' Bonneville
71' BSA Firebird
71' B50 Street tracker
62' BSA A10 Super rocket
60' BSA DBD Goldstar roller
97' Buell S3T
09' KTM 990 Adventure
00' Sherco 2.5
#248148 - 04/13/09 9:09 pm Re: Luggage for my bike soft/hard? [Re: Ron T. in KY]  
Blapper Offline
BritBike Forum member
Blapper  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Kent UK
You'll have to explain that one....

redwine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.119s Queries: 16 (0.006s) Memory: 1.0030 MB (Peak: 1.3611 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-22 20:10:15 UTC