BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auction JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auction
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
coopers
coopers
australia
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
195 registered members (1xfatboy), 1,789 guests, and 604 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Simon.Holyfield, Bushcreature, Doug Valley, tim_v7, BosBSA
10032 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 144
kommando 103
Stuart 66
Popular Topics(Views)
476,598 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,721
Posts635,201
Members10,032
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Soda blasting aluminum #243490
03/17/09 7:50 am
03/17/09 7:50 am
Dallas, TX
BSA-KC Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
BSA-KC  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Dallas, TX
I was chatting via e-mail today with a couple of friends about cleaning old aluminum cases, covers, carbs, heads, what have you … Soda blasting came up and how none of us has ever had this done and a bit later in the day one of them sent out a link which I’m sure many here have to have seen though I’ve never seen it referred to… I’ll post the link at the end. This guy decided he wanted to soda blast some aluminum himself without any fancy ($$$) gear so he just grabbed what he had sitting around his shop and got to work. My friend Ben was in his shop when we were e-mailing back and fourth and a short time later he sent me a pic and we were all surprised to find that this method works quite well at removing crud, grunge, and corrosion from aluminum. All you need is some regular old arm & hammer baking soda, a compressor and a couple feet of vinyl hose or fuel line or whatever…Ben used the hose and nozzle trick per the link we were sent but I have one of those cheap harbor freight gravity feed “sand blasting“ guns that I bought for something like six bucks a while back so I figured I’d give it a try. The compressor I have right now is cheap and no better than one from harbor freight. I'd be surprised if I get 5 or 6 cfm @ 90 psi. It was late when I started so I only spent about 15 min. on this but I was very pleased by the results.
This piston had the gun pointing at it for NO LONGER than 5 seconds. I was crouched down on my patio almost in the dark because the main light outside had JUST burned out as I was getting ready to blast and by this time my safety goggles had fogged up to the point where I just said EFFIT! and pulled the trigger and just kind of waived the gun around at what I thought looked like the piston. Then I took off those damn Foggles and brought the piston back in for a look. I think the nozzle was probably somewhere around 6 inches away give or take and I was @ 90 psi. I thought this was a pretty good result for a rather quick and careless test so I grabbed my rocker cover to see if I could do something about the corrosion between the fins. It wasn’t that bad but if I wanted it gone it would have been a pain in the arse to do by hand.

Before

After

Before

After

Here’s the gun

Would it be safe to use this method on my 72 A-65T cases followed by a thorough hot water rinse? I am ready to begin re-assembly of the lower end but I want to clean the cases better first. How about the cylinder head? Would it be ok to soda blast it like this? I know that this would never measure up to professional soda blasting but for just getting things cleaned up it seems to work really well.
Any thoughts?
Here is the link we were sent:

http://www.aircooledtech.com/tools-on-the-cheap/soda_blaster/

Thanks y'all.

1968 BSA Lightning Hard Tail
1972 BSA Thunderbolt

www.caseykinney.com
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Re: Soda blasting aluminum [Re: BSA-KC] #243503
03/17/09 10:03 am
03/17/09 10:03 am
Sydney Australia
B
BSA_WM20 Online content
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
B
Sydney Australia
Abrasive grit blasting using soda as the abrasive would be fine.
There are really only a few things that you need to consider when choosing the abrasive medium.
1) errosion rate
2) cleaning
3) hardness.

Soda will work fine as long as the bits to be cleaned have been degreased and are dry.
There are a lot of things that will do the job from diamond through ground nut shells all the way down to dry ice

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Re: Soda blasting aluminum [Re: BSA-KC] #243587
03/17/09 8:19 pm
03/17/09 8:19 pm
Dallas, TX
BSA-KC Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
BSA-KC  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Dallas, TX
Thanks for the reply Trevor,

I just wanted to make sure I would not damage anything by doing this. Usually when something is this cheap and easy to do... It's the wrong way to do it. I'll post some pics of the cases and head when done for anyone else who might like to try this.

Thanks again,
Casey

Thanks y'all.

1972 BSA Thunderbolt

www.caseykinney.com
Re: Soda blasting aluminum [Re: BSA-KC] #243615
03/17/09 10:16 pm
03/17/09 10:16 pm
angeles city, rp
J
jaycee Offline
BritBike Forum member
jaycee  Offline
BritBike Forum member
J
angeles city, rp
is sodium bicarbonate corrosive as it is a salt????

Re: Soda blasting aluminum [Re: jaycee] #243629
03/17/09 11:29 pm
03/17/09 11:29 pm
Sydney Australia
B
BSA_WM20 Online content
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
B
Sydney Australia
No sodium bicarbonate is neutral with a Ph of 7.
It is a chemical buffer and is used extensively in wet chemical analysis to prevent solutions changing Ph and thus the target ions.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Re: Soda blasting aluminum [Re: BSA_WM20] #243652
03/18/09 1:52 am
03/18/09 1:52 am
British Columbia
hh Offline
BritBike Forum member
hh  Offline
BritBike Forum member
British Columbia
According to this data sheet, its pH is 8.3:

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/s2954.htm

and it will chemically strip the protective oxide layer from pure aluminum leading to faster corrosion. I would guess that the case alloy would not be as susceptible.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin
Re: Soda blasting aluminum [Re: hh] #243664
03/18/09 3:14 am
03/18/09 3:14 am
California
Ron - in California R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
Ron - in California R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance
California
Soda blasting is not new.. but I think you may find the cases come out a tad "white" looking. In that case.. when your S.O. is away, put them in the dish washer with just a tiny bit of normal dish soap. The cases will darken nicely, and the finish seems to hold up well.....

Cheers.!!

Ron

Re: Soda blasting aluminum [Re: BSA-KC] #243841
03/19/09 6:16 am
03/19/09 6:16 am
Dallas, TX
BSA-KC Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
BSA-KC  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Dallas, TX
Thanks for the tip Ron.
I haven't done the head or cases yet but I’ve bought the Arm & Hammer and taken some detailed “before” pics of everything. I also threw together a scrap lumber blasting table facing the yard. I might not get to this until Mon. as this weekend is ROCKERS vs. MODS here in Dallas and I’ve been doing some much needed maintenance on my 68’ Lightning. It has been a bit neglected since I started on this 72’ Thunderbolt project. The chassis is almost done and ready for the motor.

Friday night a Sex Pistols cover band called “The Sex Pistols Experience” from the UK will be in Dallas to play at the legendary Longhorn Ballroom.
Check out
http://rockersvsmods.com/
http://thelonghornballroom.com/
http://www.myspace.com/sexpistolsexperienceontour
It's gonna be a wild weekend...

Thanks y'all.

1972 BSA Thunderbolt

www.caseykinney.com
Re: Soda blasting aluminum [Re: BSA-KC] #243943
03/19/09 7:04 pm
03/19/09 7:04 pm
, Lower -Lower michigan
Bob S Offline
BritBike Forum member
Bob S  Offline
BritBike Forum member
, Lower -Lower michigan
Man i hope you bought a ton of that soda, it appears [after having mine done] that it takes alot of soda for aluminum parts. jmo

Bob S
Street Rods, Kustom Kars,A BSA,Cushmans,H.Shadow ACE, Now a 2004 triumph america . "More than enough!!!!
Re: Soda blasting aluminum [Re: BSA-KC] #244032
03/20/09 3:57 am
03/20/09 3:57 am
Dallas, TX
BSA-KC Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
BSA-KC  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Dallas, TX
Yeah, I guess I did use up a whole 1lb (fridge size) box on just that little test but I was a bit clumbsy with it. I had to sort of shake it around a bit because it clumps up into big chunks after being in the box for a while I guess. I’m sure that wasted some. I have a small spegetti strainer that I’m gonna use to sift it into a BIG plastic cup which I can use to refill the “blaster” as needed. That should make things easier. Heck, a 1lb box was only a dollar so even if I spend $10 or $15, I would have probably spent more cleaning them any other way. I know they’ll never end up looking like they were in a shaker for a day or too but I’m fine with that. Right now every dollar I don't spend making it look shiny is another dollar I can spend making it run.

Thanks y'all.

1972 BSA Thunderbolt

www.caseykinney.com

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership