BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Excalibur
Excalibur
New Zealand
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
208 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,755 guests, and 545 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 186
koan58 99
Stuart 88
NickL 63
Popular Topics(Views)
436,514 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,263
Posts632,035
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#243388 - 03/16/09 7:41 pm More advice needed on my Matchless - Clutch query  
Grandad Online content
BritBike Forum member
Grandad  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

The Crypt - South East England
My newly acquired 1960 G3 matchless 350 (alternator type) has a problem with the 3- spring clutch in that it needs enormous strength to pull the lever to operate it. Today, when we stripped it down we found only 7 plates in the drum (3 double-sided friction plates, 3 dimpled smooth plates and a one-sided plate. Also the clutch springs were excessively tightened down, presumably to stop it slipping.
The handbook was unclear on the number of plates that should be there but we think there should be about 10 in total.
Has anyone got any ideas on this subject?

--------------------------------

Don't nail that lid down - I'm still bloomin' breathing !!
Click here to see SPIDER cartoons!
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#243398 - 03/16/09 8:40 pm Re: More advice needed on my Matchless - Clutch query [Re: Grandad]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Grandad -

Now I'm no expert on that particular bike but I'll tell you what I'd do once I found the right number of plates!

1) I'd get the plates relined (or get new ones if they're available from Barnett) so I'd know I had the right thickness.

2) I'd tighten the springs down no more than was necessary to JUST keep the clutch from slipping.

3) I'd use ATF in the primary case.

4) I'd chuck the cable and replace it with one I knew was new and from a good outfit I trusted, or had made up myself. I've seen cables that looked goodm, and worked slick and free under no load, but install them and they're impossible to work. I don't take chances!

I do all that on my alternator-primary bikes and always have a nice light pull .... and they're pulling a load, too!

Lannis

OK, I admit it, I'm addicted to brake fluid.

But I can stop any time I want.
#243403 - 03/16/09 9:19 pm Re: More advice needed on my Matchless - Clutch query [Re: Lannis]  
Grandad Online content
BritBike Forum member
Grandad  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Lannis - I would probably follow the same procedure - it's basically the small number of plates which are currently in the clutch drum and the obviously large space remaining which puzzles us. It suggests more plates were required and explains why our clutch was so hard to operate.

#243411 - 03/16/09 10:04 pm Re: More advice needed on my Matchless - Clutch query [Re: Grandad]  
Janet Offline
BritBike Forum member
Janet  Offline
BritBike Forum member

UK
My Matchless G80 has five flat plates and four of those funny ones with the corky bits in them. I couldn't say whether yours would be the same as mine's an earlier model and 500cc, but I'd suggest you register on http://www.ajs-matchless.com/ and ask the anoraks, er, I mean, the experts there. They may not know more than the people here, but there's a lot more traffic so you might get faster answers.

#243454 - 03/17/09 1:41 am Re: More advice needed on my Matchless - Clutch query [Re: Janet]  
Don M. Offline
BritBike Forum member
Don M.  Offline
BritBike Forum member

California
Janet is right about finding more AMC info at the site she recommended. That is the official site for the AJSMOC, based in the UK. There is another, older group: www.freewebs.com/ajsmatchless/index.ht based in the US. Some members belong to both, some to only one. The latter, which has no club affiliation supports The Archives, that I suggested to you in another thread, (timing). Your G3 is better known in the UK as few were exported to the US.

You have an AMC gearbox & clutch, fitted from 1957. 350cc bikes had a 3 plate clutch, 3 plain, 3 lined & the half plate. The clutch was redesigned in mid-1959 & clutch sprocket, (basket), back plate, plain & lined plates & spring studs were changed. The early items above and the later cannot be interchanged except as a set. Most other hub parts are the same.

500cc & 650cc engines had a 4 plate clutch until 1963 when the 650cc G12CSR got a 5 plate clutch. The 3, 4 & 5 plate clutches each had a different pressure plate with depth varying to compensated for the plate stack thickness.

The clutch nuts should be adjusted so that the top of the flange under the slot is even with the cup. Then tighten or slacken individually to true the pressure plate to the plate stack when it is lifted.

The clutch linkage in the gearbox is an over-center type using a lever & cam & proper adjustment is critical for ease of use. Slacken the cable first, run the central clutch rod adjusting screw until it bottoms, then back off 1/4 turn. Finally, adjust the clutch cable for 1/8in or so play at the control lever.

The most common cause of heavy clutch action on AMC bikes is the wrong levers. They do not have adjusters at the control & have 7/8in spacing from the pivot center to the cable center. Use of the much more common controls with 1-1/8in spacing causes a mechanical disadvantage & heavy action.

My G80CS bikes with the 4 plate clutch are so easy to operate that I can pull in the lever with one finger with effort & is quite easy with two.

If I haven't obfuscated enough yet, try again. Cheers, Don.

Last edited by Don M.; 03/17/09 1:43 am.
#243566 - 03/17/09 6:51 pm Re: More advice needed on my Matchless - Clutch query [Re: Don M.]  
DM Offline
BritBike Forum member
DM  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cornwall
You should have 4 friction plates (bonded type) and 5 dimpled smooth plates. Edit - the 59 spares list shows 3 friction plates for the 350.
I can scan the relevant pages out of the workshop instruction manual showing the clutch parts laid out and setting instructions if you would like them.

Last edited by DM; 03/17/09 7:16 pm.
#243737 - 03/18/09 6:16 pm Re: More advice needed on my Matchless - Clutch query [Re: DM]  
Grandad Online content
BritBike Forum member
Grandad  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Hi DM
I would greatly appreciate a scanned picture of the exploded 1959 clutch for the 350cc bike. Although my G3 machine is a 1960 model it may have the earlier clutch. Mine definitely has 3 double sided friction plates, 3 smooth plates and a single sided friction plate (all are dimpled).

We were rather worried that it had the lightweight 250cc clutch which also has 7 plates.

#243960 - 03/19/09 8:21 pm Re: More advice needed on my Matchless - Clutch query [Re: Grandad]  
DM Offline
BritBike Forum member
DM  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cornwall
Ok Grandad,
PM me with your email address and I'll send you a scan.
DM

Moderated by  Matchman62 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.761s Queries: 15 (0.053s) Memory: 0.8481 MB (Peak: 1.0245 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-20 15:22:34 UTC